XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Environmental Models

Breunor

Fails here too... Strange, try with other attachments and let me know.

It happens with other 3ds files too, they appear as tif's.

Someone plz check out the model also, i am convinced it gotten buged... can't see/show any edges (They are there) If i delete 1 face/edge the whole thing is deleted. There are to many poly's for the little detail it has i think (Can't see the edges so i can't be sure about that one) if i convert to editable poly it goes to 1 polygon.

It's a bit bugged, I got the same thing with grey model. Are you using max? Collapse the whole thing and convert it into patch, then back to mesh or poly, and you'll have a workable model.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That worked thnx a lot.

Still the tif stuff though. Are the models as tifs on server? It looks like it, or is it possible that DL screws it. It's not a big problem though but if fixed new ones don't need to figure things out.

i try to map it now :D, i hope i can do it, it sure is a challange for me forgive me if i fail.

Greets

• 5 weeks later...

ok, here's the first version of my first model for you guys. Given that we're likely to be stomping though people's houses on terror missions etc, I've started there.

This is a model of a fairly high-end TV with stand and DVD Player (or equivalent at the time of the game setting). Polycount is 120.

I'm especially looking for feedback on:

* Polycount - more/less detailed?

* Style - seems consistant with the game/time?

I will probably unwrap and texture this one myself, though that won't always be possible.

A couple of quick questions. Firstly, will deleting polys that can never be seen in game (or shouldn't if the placement is correct) cause any problems down the line because the model is no longer closed? Secondly, are smoothing groups supported in any way after the model has been converted to its final format or will the engine ignore them?

post-1185-1109513035_thumb.jpg

looks good.

You should be fine with deleting unseen polys but you don't need to aggressivly hunt for ones to delete.

Poly count for these models should be between 150 and 200 polys.

Style is fine.

Smoothing groups are suppported, the bigger problem is finding an interchange format that will bring in texture and smoothing data.

ok cheers Vaaish, good to know.

Here's the sofa to go with that TV, ideal for slouching on while watching films/being terrorised by greys. There's two renders in that image, both are the exact same model (@ 184 polys) but the one below has smoothing groups applied.

It remains to be seen whether the best way would be to get the textures to do the work of smoothing - I'm not totally happy with the result of the smoothing groups in some areas of that shot. It also depends on how close to the object players can get when zooming in.

post-1185-1109529103_thumb.jpg

sofa01_01.zip

Edited by FirestarXL

The bit that bothers me is the join where the cushions meet the bit at the bottom. I'll have a play, maybe add a few polys as Vaaish suggests and see if I can iron it out that way. I already tried adding the offending poly to the same smoothing group as the cushions, but that didn't really help.

If all else fails I'll ponder further, possibly while sitting on top of a mountain with a lemon on my head.

:hmmm:

Right, I've had a play around with the smoothing groups a bit more and reshaped the front end of the cushions (196 polys now).

I think it's best to wait on this one until we see if in the engine- it's quite possible that it will render the groups slightly differently in Ogre than it does in Max.

post-1185-1109543294_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...