XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hardcore Mode

It is likely that someone already has had this idea.

What about a hardcore mode? Think a game that is as hard as the superhuman skill level in the orginal game but it doesn't lets you save during battles and it auto-saves when you leave the battle (to prevent loading cheat). This could be used for all forms of missions, ufo-attacks, terror, base-defending and the rest.

This recquires a totally bug-free game, but it could be pretty cool. What do you think?

You know, I think Cubik is on to something. For instance, in Civ3, when there are Games of the Month at various websites the only way to know if the individual did not cheat is to take his/her word. This is often enough, but it would be nice to have a dedicated mode for it.

I guess the only technicallity is working in a way to save once your done for the day...night...week...month :devillaugh:

I think its worth looking into, if not just for community gaming options later on. And I know, no two X-COM games are alike, but I'm sure there are a number of way to set-up some friendly competitions between the community that arent head-to-head. Check out www.civfanatics.com for an idea of what I mean.

An interesting way of setting up such a game, now that I'm thinking about it, would be to create a saved game to a certain date, with a certain amount of money/people/tech/supprt/etc and then see how people do compared to eachother over a set timeframe. Could be interesting.

Gold

GreatGold: Very nice ideas, could be VERY interesting to see how that would develope. You could also make seemigly impossible combat situations, put them on the site and see how fast people solve them :P. We could have competations, if we got some sponsors. We could get Infogrames to send out copies of the original game to the winners.

mamutas: If there is a possiblity to do something in a game, I will often do. This auto-save function would absolutly prevent loading, so there could be no possibility of cheating. It can be very tempting sometimes.

Cubik -

The idea of saving battlescapes specifically is a nice touch as well. It would allow for tactical competitions, strategic competitions, and combinations of the two. But, I think the idea would need to be run by the coders. I have two thoughts specifically:

1.) A random battlescape situation is created, such as would normally accur, it is saved before the first round, and then people can send in their results. These would include things such as accuracy, speed, some scale of effeciency, deaths, injuries, civilians saved or harmed, shots fired, etc. This would be doable without too much coder intervention. Perhaps on battle a month would be set up, and community memebers could send in their results. I think it would add a nice and continual community touch.

2.) If there was an editor allowing for a specific level with specific aliens and locations, this would allow more control. The editor, though, might have to wait till after v1.0 or later as it might be a waste of reseources so early on in development.

Lastly, as in the last post, there could also be larger competitions starting in the geoscape and lasting for a month gametime (or even longer?!) which could be submitted by the community. Those people who lose the least funding or have the best stats, etc, would win :happybanana: and earn world-wide praise :master: .

What do you all think? Oh yeah, these game-modes would obviously be in conjunction with, not excluding, the normal MP modes already planned...

Gold

It's all good.

I like to rise another point here, so that we can get even more sidetracked :P:

Are we going to have a co-op mode? I think that these things often are much more enjoyable than the normal multiplayer modes.

I dont want to be nitpicky (of how it spells) BUT as the program source is OpenSource there is no way to know if the people involved had modified the program to cheat or not. Thats a hard problem we had found when discussing the idea of a persistent multiplayer game session...

Greetings

Red Knight

Guest stewart
:idea: Hey maybe we can turn this project into a means of making ourselves the actual Xcom developement team at infogrammes. You know, if we give you v1.0 you give us the jobs.