XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Entropy Launcher

miceless

Oh geez. I was just playing Apoc and was taking out a crashed transport. My men were camped above the 'trough' that the ufo had carved out as it came down (thats cool by the way).

My men were very happily picking off the aliens with their Toxiguns (Toxin B). A couple of the blue ones (forget the name - no Anthropods) came out at once and my men let loose. They both died quite quickly, but one of them got off what looked like a missile of somekind. The missile headed for one of my men, there was an explosion and he stood up.

Hes naked (relative)! :o All of his very nice, expensive (well its in short supply, not expensive) Marsec armor has just vanished! His medikit, grenades and ammo had also gone. All he had were his two toxiguns and a stun grenade! :huh:

I was a little stunned to be sure. He had lost a lot of health (90% or so) and was critically wounded (with no medkit now) so he pegged it to the nearest exit. Luckily it was close and he made it.

I proceeded to wipe the floor with the rest of the aliens, and took the time out to go and look at the alien's weapon. What do i find but a strange pink gun.

I put my scientists on to it as soon as they got it back, and have just received the report. Geez, thats one heck of a weapon. Hope I dont meet to many of these! Is there a tactic against these weapons, other than

"Shoot, hes got one of those guns! Everyone, kill him now!"

-FOR REAL TIME ONLY-

OK. i see your frustrated faces. I'm starting to tell you.

First you must know the mechanics of the attacks in the game

Beam weapons:

Beam weapon's damages drop by range. So, if you have a disruptor armor, and your enemy is not close up you won't have a problem with beam weapons. Just don't let them get close up

AP ammo:

AP=armor piercing but i've never seen a machinegun bullet pierces through a disruptor armor

Explosives and grenades:

Normal grenades won't be a problem

Vortex mines hardly damage you if you have disruptor armor

Dimension Missiles

All misiles has 2 type of damage. First is the impact, the ap damage

second is the explosion. Dimension missile AP won't damage you but the explosion can damage you a little if you are not lucky

Entropy Missiles -legendary-

Entropy missiles doesn't kill you. it has very low damage, and the damage is fully absorbed by the disruptor shields. But they have a nasty habit of destroying everything in your inventory. You see, they don't kill you, but the clips&grenades you are carrying will.

The problem is here. Using only disruptor armor is good, as it is hardly penetrated, but entropy enzyme eazily chews it, and make your clips explode and hurt you.

And the shields easily drain by beams and rockets. You are left undefended agains the entropy enzymes and....

Then we will use a cute little trick here. if microprose thought to put a switch to deactivate, activate the shields, it wouldn't be a problem.So we will try to do this manually

i'll use 2 phrases. Dropping an item is pressing the drop button on the game interface, while putting down an item is simply dragging and dropping it down in the inventory interface

*Firstly, take your position against the incoming aliens.

*Drop/Put down all your shields and fight

*When you see a entropy missile coming -tip:slower, has a special sound-

put on your shields -take them from the ground-

*When you see a explosive grenade or missile is coming put your weapons away, take your shields at your hand and drop them 1ms before the explosion. remember, DROP!!! They must be in the air while the grenade explodes!!! So they won't be destroyed-ground- or drained -on you- by the explosion

*You'll need to have full disruptor armor and a disruptor shield to completely execute this tactic -shields up, shields down  -

That shoul explain it... look the x-com defence and invulnerability topic for more...

That sound a bit much like cheating to me.

I lost another two soldiers to them earlier. :(

Wow its that strong...i thougt it was a sleeping device

i guess it equals Toxins -_-

Shame it says its not much use on the aliens...

Am i correct in thinking that its a bad idea to sell the guns, in an attempt to avoid those nasty Sirius people from getting their grubby hands on one.

Shame it says its not much use on the aliens...

Am i correct in thinking that its a bad idea to sell the guns, in an attempt to avoid those nasty Sirius people from getting their grubby hands on one.

i sold once of them.. never encountered any orgs that had them or maybe i never got a chance to encounter any of them.

but i doubt... like toxins when u sell them orgs dont use them.

i think its like toxins

Well, orgs use dev cannons and disruptor and I just cant bear to think of a Sirius guy with one of these.

I think i will play it safe, as im not in serious need of cash.

That sound a bit much like cheating to me.

I lost another two soldiers to them earlier. :(

---------------------

u would have the option to close your shields...

it's the most advanced technology but don't have a on/off button :cussing: :puke: :huh?:

-------------------------

No... They have them -maybe by other means...

Brute's tactic is much more sophisticated than mine but maybe you'll like it. I posted this in the "Superhumans hints topic":

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all know those stinking entropy rockets - they always cause troubles as long as you don't have the personal shields.

I managed to live with them like this in realtime game:

. Rocket is INCOMING!!! :eek: :ph34r:

. As soon as it his my poor soldier, I press PAUSE and drop all equipment, armor, rifles and utmost grenades because they do the most damage if they explode after the aliens "slimed" me...

. The slimed and smoking soldier runs away a bit, now only praying will help that he doesn't get hit while vulnerable... :master: :uhoh:

. During all this the other soldiers try to kill the entropy shooting shithead... :crazy:

. After some time the soldier automatically goes back to where he left his equipment, equip him and give the aliens heck! :uzzi2: :LOL: :flame: :psychosanta:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by BurnThemALL

Again, that seems a bit too much like cheating.

Imagine the sight of soldiers stripping their armor in the field of battle. :D

if u knew the armor on you will melt and smoke your skin in 5 seconds, you wouldn't need a music to striptease... :boohoo: :naughty:

Guest Jim69
Absolutly. It would take about 5 minutes to get yer kit off in THAT suit, how they manage 2 get it off in that record time is anyones guess.

In fact, they take it off instantly. There is no delay at all, because you can take it off when the game is paused. This goes for the whole inventory actually.

Considering it costs TUs to mess with the inventory in turn based, that kinda sucks. But hey, why am i complaining? :huh?:

Guest Jim69
The designers didn't think the real time thru very well, they just thought "Cool, we'll make this turn based game in real time and c how it works"

the first real time -turns based- game -put a time limit taking of your armor- was Baldurs gate 2

Nudists would, surely, be going into the fight naked in the first place. They would not last long in the firefight, but im sure they would be happy that they went out nude...