Photo

Disruptors, Or Devastators?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you use? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:20 PM

Devastator, dual for Androids. Much better firepower, improved range/accuracy, only slower ROF. Only gun which can destroy alien building targets, saved my hide after running out of vortex mines. Contrary to popular belief, the Disruptor Gun is two-handed. Try it. Accuracy goes down.
What about you?
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

Take one more step, and I swear, I will kill you so hard you will die to death.

#2 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:34 PM

Dual devastators, they make a lotta noise, and a lotta damage. Besides, It's so much fun to watch buildings go down in purple rains :devillaugh: oh the alien screams...

#3 seagates

seagates

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:06 AM

My usual set up of agents are.

Early in the game :
Laser Sniper And Machine gunners balanced. With single hand weapon holder using a scanner(Law Pistol or Plasma Gun)

Mid-Game :
Replace Machine Gunners with disruptor. Laser sniper accuracy pwns still.

Throughout the game after that :
Toxigun with C type clip. They deal heck alot of damage and shoot really fast even with aimed shot. I usually bring 2 vortex per agent to blow up portals and mission target and will scour alien body for any extra explosive I need. Just brings lots of clip. A usual alien mission of 12 agents will use about 1-2 clip(including the loaded clip) each agent.

I will carry a stun grapple in hand whenever there's an alien I want to capture. other than that I don't use them.

I find devasator cannon, overly devasative. It's too slow on aimed shot(In situation like whoever shoot first will win) and snap shot is just too dangerous and may end up hitting your own agent. Toxin gun advantage is it won't hurt your agent(or really hard to get hurt) and it go through shield ^_^ so whichever agent lost their shield can simply pick up a replacement.

I've played with dual devasator before. For the unfortunate low accuracy agent they'll usually kill their own teammates(or drain off their shields prety fast). For the high accuracy agent it's better off with toxingun since I can almost guarantee a hit with aimed shot.

Edited by seagates, 22 November 2004 - 12:10 AM.

#4 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:35 AM

Devestators, dual or single, are best used in firing formation. A whole mess of soldiers spread out at various elevations (kneeling, standing, flying, prone, etc) and then having them all aimed at one spot a mile away (figureatively speaking), now there's a true horror to behold. Not even megaspawn can last with a crossfire of multiple devestator beams. It is overkill and destroys shields on shielded aliens, but there is a point in the game where you can have multiple workshops mass producing the shields, you can afford to waste a few.

The trick to avoiding friendly fire with any weapon is to remember not to get in your teammates' way, either by kneeling or going prone or simply stepping aside, or to try to spread out when you can. You have a pause facility in real-time combat, use it liberally.

Disrupter guns are only just a rung below the devestators in weapon evolution. However, they are still very rapid dual or single, so you can think of them as a machine gun while the devestator is a high powered cannon. Best used at short ranges, like all other rapid-fire weapons. The disrupter gun's main failure is its smaller clip size to compensate for its speed (I'm sure we've all sprayed disrupter guns on full auto before only to run out - it's just too much fun!). Apart from that, it's a decent enough weapon.

Dual or not? Well, depends on how much firepower you want and how much accuracy you are willing to sacrifice to get it. Depends more on your play style, really. I go for dual weapons in general as I like to fight up close, but will use just one for accurate shots or for a tool of some sort. Got to be flexible. Always be flexible.

So, in a nutshell:

Devestator: Very Powerful, accurate, high clip capacity
Disrupter gun: Moderately powerful, fast, medium clip capacity
Dual or not: Depends on situation.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#5 Jonaleth Irenicus

Jonaleth Irenicus

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:05 AM

Provided I am not using Toxiguns I go with single Devastators.

NKF has basically explained how they can be useful: line up a big number of men, have them kneel/prone (it's better if they don't stand) and open fire over a large area with rapid fire (snap or auto, usually auto).

You may be missing 90% of the time, but the destruction is worth it. Back when I used this tactic a lot, I usually had aliens falling off ledges and destroyed floors. Also, since you are not losing any ammo (in terms of manufacture) you don't have to care about wasting 90% of your shots.

With Toxiguns I always have the feeling "oh god I have to increase my accuracy no matter what" since you need to produce that ammo (so everybody kneels whenever they can and uses aimed shot).
Passenger ship terror site, first turn, I open the door of my Triton, there is a Tasoth up on the next floor (his back is facing the screen so I don't know what weapon he has).

One of my guys fire at him, hit, he reaction fires with Thermal Shock Launcher. The whole crew stunned. Mission over.

#6 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:48 AM

With Toxiguns I always have the feeling "oh god I have to increase my accuracy no matter what" since you need to produce that ammo (so everybody kneels whenever they can and uses aimed shot).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need to fear the ammo use. When the aliens get shields, you can spend at least 4 clips trying to get it intact, and you'll break out even.

My favorite android setup is a single devastator, and a cloak. That may be weak, but it's made up with a lot of explosives! And isn't that what really matters? ^_^
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#7 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:04 PM

Moved to X-Com 3: Strategy/Tactics.

#8 Exo2000

Exo2000

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:00 AM

NKF;

"There is no Overkill, only "Open Fire!" and "I need to reload!""
Posted Image

#9 Arjuna

Arjuna

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 08:13 AM

Devastators rock if you can manage to get them before every corp and gang in the city gets shields. Also, enemies who have cloaking devices tend not to carry shields, because the AI doesn't realize that it can have the shield in the backpack and still have it operate. Since devastators are, well, devastating against unshielded "soft" targets, go for the cloaked guys for quick kills and morale loss.

I also enjoy the vortex mine. :alienlol: One time, during a Marsec raid, there were about seven guys coming down a lift and I saw they were very close together. Three vortex mines, set to "Activates Now", and every one of them was gone. Weird thing is, I managed to capture all of the equipment too. Note on this; when weapons/ammo explodes on the ground, it does so in a rather volatile fashion, scattering the remaining shots randomly. Grenades detonate on the ground, too. Before I got shields, one of my guys accidentally got shot in the face when a disruptor went up.