XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Logo again

meodai

Hello guy!

I play ufo 2000 for a long time now... at the beginning i was playing it because of the nostalgia of the old UFO: Enemy Unknown my all time favorite game!

But i really started to appreciate all the work you have done to add very interesting game-play elements and the work you have to to improve the original one. Thank you very much at this point!

Now that i have played and ufo 2000 for a few years now i think its time i contribute a little to this project that i have placed next to X-Com 1 in my gamer heart!

I gave the logo i made a little more punch, and tried to keep the line that the designer has done for the in game User Interface.

Now this was the first version i have done:

http://meodai.ch/_hidden/ufo2k_pos.png

then i have started to invert some color and i think i like the second version more:

http://meodai.ch/_hidden/ufo2k_neg.png

i have also started to redo all the game menus in the same style, so that the game keeps a line! I love the illustration with the skyline on fire from the main menu. Is there any way i could get the orginal file? to keep it as background?

I hope you like it! Please let me know your thoughts and critics!

PS: Here some transparent PNG32 versions:

http://meodai.ch/_hidden/ufo2k_neg_t.png

http://meodai.ch/_hidden/ufo2k_pos_t.png

http://meodai.ch/_hidden/ufo2k_neg_t_v2.png

http://meodai.ch/_hidden/ufo2k_pos_t_v2.png

Edited by meodai

Thanks for your interest in helping ufo2000 with artwork. But the project needs just one logo, and IMHO the logo which we are using now is good enough. I myself particularly like the dual possible interpretation of the dark shade inside of O letter: it can be interpreted either as a head of a human soldier, or as a hairy body of some creepy alien :)

Overall, there must be a really good reason for changing the logo. On the other hand, we need more map tiles, weapons, aliens.

sure one logo is enough. But it just not stick to the style of the game. Same for the menus. Every menu has a different illustration, thats good but a graphical line is missing. The game as global looks just like a big patchwork of artworks from different people. I think it would be nice to use them but put them in actual graphical line. I assure you that this will have a big influence on the image the game gives to the player. I think this is a pretty good reason.

To come back to the logo. Not so long ago there where the interest to change the logo, a few found the actual logo good. But some others including nachtwolf where open to a new logo.

If you like it or not, i gonna work on the logo a little more and redo all the game menu screens. Then you can still decide if you want to use it or not. In the main time i gonna use them on my local copy of the game ;)

PS: i am working on map titles to. But i not gonna finish so soon...

Edited by meodai

I fully understand your critique and agree with it for most parts. But unless we have somebody with a strong commitment to work on ufo2000 UI usability and consistent look, not much can be improved on this front. How can we be sure that you are not another one to "toss it over the fence and run away" thus contributing more to the current "big patchwork of artworks from different people" mess? ;) Let's suppose that we take your new logo, but imagine somebody else coming here later and proposing to replace it with something newer using all the same "better sticks to the style of the game" argument. Who defines the style of the game? And how can you be sure that your logo fits it better?

That said, some improvements to the UI are possible and desirable. At least the positioning of UI elements can be fixed so that they look better for different screen resolutions (properly centered instead of sticking to the left side). The places where the user can get stuck not knowing what to do next, must get some improvements (more easily visible buttons, text hints, better help system, maybe a built-in tutorial mode, etc.). There is also

Dropping some legacy stuff (remove support for original xcom font) thread.

I fully understand your critique and agree with it for most parts. But unless we have somebody with a strong commitment to work on ufo2000 UI usability and consistent look, not much can be improved on this front. How can we be sure that you are not another one to "toss it over the fence and run away" thus contributing more to the current "big patchwork of artworks from different people" mess? ;) Let's suppose that we take your new logo, but imagine somebody else coming here later and proposing to replace it with something newer using all the same "better sticks to the style of the game" argument. Who defines the style of the game? And how can you be sure that your logo fits it better?

Thats why i just gonna finish all interfaces, before i deliver them to you. So you have something consistent. I also gonna deliver you all the source files, so if i die or i lose my interest on this project. You are not stuck with something you have no control over. (I deliver you Photoshop files, and separate PNG's of the different elements)

You can't be sure that my logo fits better until i deliver you new interfaces for the game. But for now you can just put it next to the existing ingame command menu and see for your self.

I have a strong commitment to work on the ufo2000 UI. But anyone can say that, so i just gonna prove it by finishing what i have started and deliver you all the screens at once.

But i really want to keep the drawings that are already done, to respect the people who did them and because i like them. I think they could be well integrated. It would be very kind of you if you could provide me the original files, or the nude drawings (without any interface on it)

An other question: Can i animate some stuff in the menu? Hover on UI Buttons for example? Or does anything need to be static?

post-5689-1274967614_thumb.jpg

Edited by meodai

Who defines the style of the game? And how can you be sure that your logo fits it better?

How about the artists? :)

I know constantly changing how UFO2K looks is a big hassle and change, Serge, but I honestly think what he's doing here is good. Also, I would like to mention that "head" that looks like an alien/creature is indeed unique and should be kept, HOWEVER, he COULD still apply it to his logo as well. How about it Meodai? Try applying that part to your logo to see if it works?

Even if he disappeared after contributing all this, other artists can still pick up where he left off. I know you feel insecure about this, but believe it or not art style isn't hard to copy.

I prefer the darker logo, it's more readable and eerie. I hope you change the menus, GUI, stat panels, etc. to something like this. While Nachtwolf did a good job on most of the custom GUI, I still feel it needs a bit more. I personally don't like plain white designs like in the game. It could always be improved. We can also make this a interchangeable feature in the game (switching themes) if someone wants to create such an extension. :)

Good work on the animations. I don't know if it's supported, but I think it would be interesting to have some form of artsy looks.

Edited by Kratos