XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Which Continent Is Your Main Base?

Deimos

I'm looking to see where the most popular location for an xcom primary base is.

Why? The movie for the transition to Cydonia needs a launch sequence and I'd like to get the most popular place to launch it from. This is your chance to effect the outcome of some of the in game FMV's so lots of votes please :)

If you'd be as kind to include why you chose the continent and which country in the continent it'd help me in my descision.

To start it off my primary base is in Europe because of the monetary possibilites being in central Europe has.

For which country my base is in Turkey near to the capital Ankara.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put mine in central or Eastern Europe, so Germany, Poland, Chechoslovakia (back then ^_^ ), or something like that, I don't know the exact location.

If I don't put it in Europe it's in central North America, but usually it's in Europe.

America, because we pay the most. (not near washington though, we want the aliens to abduct bush)

Although I am a little biased because I live in america. :D

Actually, I make a "Retreat" base near my home, and fill it with only living quarters and stores. I like to imagine that it is an underground mansion. :D I know im wierd.

My first ( and usually best ) base is right by my house on the map :D

Gotta protect me bretherin right :D

same here. i always put my base in Portugal, near Lisbon. i just play for fun and not with all the best tactics and strategies to get a good game... then again that's probably why i lose x-com most of the time :P

^_^ America by far. I love defending my home country. Talk about homeland security!

I voted other because we could avoid a dispute by having the craft launch from the international space station. Have smaller shuttles launch from various countries and dock at the space station, then have a cut scene where the soldiers walk towards the avenger similar to the classic scene from The Right Stuff, then have the craft launch. As you travel through space, you could have shots inside the craft showing instrument panels, maybe a soldier adjusting gear (or asleep, drooling likes Hicks-Aliens).

"Approaching moon slingshot, flight path locked in" Hand flips a switch, etc. I think having internal and external shots would help break it up, and allow for a longer animation if you wanted one. Of course these ideas require a LOT more animation and models, but we might be able to find a ISS model out there at least.

Who the heck said Antarctic :huh?: Radar station yes but main base?

:wave:

well who would expect that a secret organisation would have its main base of operations sitting there ^_^

Antarctic:

The region was first explored in the early 1800s, and although there are no permanent settlements, many countries have made territorial claims. The Antarctic Treaty of 1959, signed by 12 nations, prohibited military operations on the continent and provided for the interchange of scientific data.

i found a new home :D

edit* i like the concept of an international space station would be fairly sweet with the cuttscenes

Edited by RustedSoul

Another option is to have the plane take off from the ground, but not show which country it was from. This would make more sense that the ISS since all your soldiers are already in 1 base.

Cool idea (space station start), but I can't

imagine why the aliens did not destroy ISS.

"Hey commander there is a space station.

Should we shoot it? Humans would really

piss their pants if we did!"

"Errr. No. Instead we will fly to Chile,

avoid some interceptors, kill

about 3 people and then let those

X-Com bastards grill our asses. Sounds

like more fun."

"Errrr. But we could do both."

"Errrrr. Shut up!"

Cool idea (space station start), but I can't

imagine why the aliens did not destroy ISS.

"Hey commander there is a space station.

Should we shoot it? Humans would really

piss their pants if we did!"

"Errr. No. Instead we will fly to Chile,

avoid some interceptors,  kill

about 3 people and then let those

X-Com bastards grill our asses. Sounds

like more fun."

"Errrr. But we could do both."

"Errrrr. Shut up!"

Let's try to stay on the subject. This is serious stuff man! ^_^

Europe Europe Europe !!!

I'm bored to see everywhere the United States protecting Earth and/or doing fantastic things (like in films...)

It's time for Europe to emerge and prove its power !! :hammer:

Also Antartic is a good idea... who could suspect a base there?

Of course another option is to have a sequence for each main continent, and it's chosen based on where the avenger is based. If anybody wants to put in the 20-30 hours of animation and 10+ hours of rendering to make each 10 seconds I'm sure Deimos would point you in the right direction... ^_^

If you went with ISS idea, you could always have a couple of Firestorms floating nearby, guarding it.

As for why the aliens don't splash it, why bother? WHen you invade a country, do you blow up treehouses? The ISS is just a big tubes of tinfoil from the alien perpective. It's not even worth the effort.

-The Captain

I agree with the captain. Unless weapons research was going on the iss, I doubt the aliens would attack it, I mean, the aliens have bigger fish to fry (such as xcom bases, passenger jets, cities, avengers :naughty: )

I can see both sides regarding destruction of the ISS. It would be the same with all orbiting satellites. Either the aliens take them out to be thorough or mean, they ignore them not knowing what they are, or ignore them knowing they won't help us in any case. In a naval battle, would you fire on the enemy's fishing boats? Depends I guess.

It's possible the aliens never even see the ISS as well. Space is a pretty big thing, and if they're going straight in and out rather than orbiting they might miss it.

Another reason the avenger might stop at the ISS would be to have additional boosters attached to speed up the travel time. Was it Robotech that had the Alpha fighter with lots of booster packs? I think the boosters were about 2-3 times larger than the plane itself. So the avenger could fly up there, have all the boosters attached, and then do a long, sustained burn towards Mars without using its internal elerium supply. It would use that to return home. Just some thoughts.

Usually I build my base in the east coast of USA, then within the first month I build a base western asia. It's the cheapest place near europe! :LOL: After that I cover most of the world already. South pasific is next target and then Antarctica. Japan or australia would be next...

I voted Europe, 'cause I usually put my base in the swiss alps (hey, nobody ever bothers the swiss...). However, I think the issue of "where the Avenger launches from" could be rendered moot by doing something like -

1. Avenger lifts off from Hangar

2. Avenger flying off into the atmosphere, perhaps through atmosphere

3. Avenger in Earth Orbit

4. Avenger going to Mars.

I mean, someone must have seen the movies from the PlayStation version of X-Com, right?

Dont ruin it for me!  :P

Same here! What's the big reason for planting the alpha base in Europe anyways? Is it because most of you live in Europe? :huh?:

America is the best man! I love my country! :wub:

Same here!  What's the big reason for planting the alpha base in Europe anyways? Is it because most of you live in Europe?  :huh?:

America is the best man!  I love my country! :wub:

For me using Europe is simply for the monetary gain that can be recived from having a base there. I place my base not in preference of country but for the maximum dough for range ratio for shooting down ufo's. Yeah I know America pays out the single highers amount but when you think that putting the basein central europe you not only cover europe but also most of Africa, most of Russia a good part of Asia it makes clear financial sense to put a base there.

If we're talking secndary bases, then America ranks highly on the scale. I'll usually place a base near the panama canal and that has North and South America covered with good parts of Canada done too.

Then I'll stick radar stations in Japan, Australia and Scandinavia which pretty much has the globe covered. With enough interceptors and empty Skyrangers patrolling I pretty much get 100% coverage of the globe. Not to mention when I get hyperwave detectors :D

I have to let ufo's land so I can get my tech trees advanced. I usually let aline bases get settled as well and allow the supply ships through for a month or two before attacking them, just after a supply ship has taken off. That way I guarantee to have the maximum amount of goodies/aliens in a base.

Show me the money :D

Why do we need to launch from an X-com base?

Lets stop and think for a minute.

where are the real space ships launched from?

in the equatorial regons!!!

lets think why.

cause if you launch from the equator you need less energy to launch BEACUSE the Earth fall away from you quicker at the equator then eny where else!

given that the avenger required E-115 to fly it would be logical to conclude that you would launch from a place that would consume the least fule!!

Launch from Floridia! or Queensland in Australia! Cape whats its name! or maby from the International Space station!!!!

However, those are rockets. The initial craft that Xcom is concerned with launching are airbreathing aircraft.

Later, the spacecraft they launch are powered by gravitational fields or some weird thing. The extra distance and inertia gained from an equatorial launch may not really be relevent compared to maintaining the field or nearing lightspeed or what not. The few extra seconds it takes to cover the kilometers lost due to it's distance from the equator might be secondary to the secrecy of the base or governmental funding, or the ability to keep your funding and influencial nations safe from infiltration.

well, europe for me, near lisbon because im an ego centric selfish xcom fan, and portugal is the place i live.

YAY FOR ANOTHER PORTUGUESE X-COM FAN!!!

or

VIVA PARA OUTRO FÃ DE X-COM PORTUGUÊS!!!

:P

5 good reasons to start in europe.

1) Most cuntry covered

2) Cost more and first is free

3) Less importent if a cuntry signs a pact.

4) I live there

5) Bush should be kidnapped