XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Stun Baton

gambino

Ok finally, i figured it out....i have no idea why....but when i scrolled to the end of this topic i hit reply and the browse doesn't show up....but when i hit reply with the first message in the topic...it works..

sorry i'm still learning this place...

anyways here's what i have so far...lemme know if this is along the lines of what a "Stun Rod" should look like, i looked in UFOpaedia and uhh the stun rod looks quite gay..

so i checked it out on the internet...and looked for some ideas...

so that wasn't much of a help...

:rolleyes:

post-29-1054494060_thumb.jpg

Very nice -

One suggestion, think outside the box. The stun-rod can have multiple prongs, an ergonomic handle, more buttons for settings (perhaps even a digital LCD display?), etc...

Great first draft though!

Gold

I like the window, butmaybe try making the "barrel" end thinner and instead of the texture you have on it now try using a steel or sheetmetal texture.

overall coming along.

One question are you doing this with multiple objects or as a single shape?

Its a cone with extrusions only for all details...here's another texture more steel kind...maybe this is better :huh:

why do you ask? whether they are multiple objects?

even if they were they could be grouped together to make one

post-29-1054516526_thumb.jpg

@Gambino: Leave the lower handle the same as the original with the upper half the steel look and make the diameter of the tuep less on the upper half.

I liked the original glowing yellow tip too, Other than that I think it's starting to take shape.

I though it looked like it might have been separate objects and was just wondering.

hmmm....maybe some sort of "shielding" the hand from the electricity, so wild electricity do not paralyze your hand.

I would just like to say it looks Awesome Gambino...hope so see more models from ya...keep up the good work...oh yeah and Cubik, that rocket launcher makes me want to go out and blow something up...very nice... :master: to both of you

Nice design for the stun rod gambino. As to the comment of shielding for the user's hand, I would expect that except for the prongs on the end, the whole thing is non-conductive, so the user is safe unless they intentionally zap themselves :D

My only suggestion is regarding the tips on the end. Rather than have them come to a point(=sharp), could they be very slender cylinders instead? 6 sided should be rounded enough for something that small. And maybe use 2 slices, with the second one being very close to the end, with a taper to give it a beveled/rounded look. I think you current design would look just as good, try this out if you like and decide which you prefer. I'll post your last pic to the design doc too.

Don't worry too much about the look of the textures relative to the actual physical design. It would actually be best to cut and paste a no-texture version next to the textured version so we can see how the faces look too. Once the physical design is ready, then a texture can be designed around it. IMO the texture can be a distraction during the design, but that may not be the case for anybody else. ^_^

• 4 months later...

Hey

Here is a first draft of a stun rod. It is ( loosely ) based upon a real life stun baton used by police forces, however since it only knocks people out for about 5 seconds I guess it needs to be a modified version.

I'm not happy with the textures/effects but hopefully it shows what I was thinking.

post-29-1065982750_thumb.jpg

Size matters not :)

Since the everything from the handle downwards is wired up to the battery you don't need the extra length.

The stun baton it is based on produces 50,000v for a second when the button is pressed. So if they take off the safety to stop the thing going off for more than a specified manufacture time ( very small amount so weapon is non lethal ) and you hold the button till the thing is either dead or unconsious. Since some aliens required a few stuns to go down anyway we can say the time was pushed up to 5 seconds for each stun burst. We could also put the voltage up, which would only require a bigger battery. Making it bigger would be counter productive as it only really needs a point, having a whole barrel that is wired into the shock as well is to stop someone grabbing the baton and turning it on you. I am considering having the whole thing anodized black as it looks more professional in terms of whoever construted the thing in game.

Edited by Jim69

I like the stun rod Jim, very nice. What's that quote about the size of the fight in the dog :)

For the texture the business end would look good in the black anodized, maybe if yo can pull it off the handle should be made of rubber? Just for insulation purposes of course :P

I like the idea with this one that it looks like you could actually take a swipe at someone with it rather than just a weedy poke. I can just imagine a soldier twatting a sectoid around the side of the head with this :devillaugh:

Keep up the good work Jim

I like that stun rod, Great improvement in your modeling Jim.

suggestion though, maybe make the business end a metal instead of flat grey?

Better or worse?

Personally I think it is a little too reflective, but quite often I don't see things others can see, guess the advantage of team work

post-29-1066068858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69

If you're going for an anodized metal look I'd tighten the intensity of the reflection up so it has a small strip of bright reflection and add a second defused light source in to create depth and a few more reflections to the shape of the baton. The handle does look kinda rubbery maybe flattening the specularity a little more and widening it would work?

Still its looking damn good.

Hmm, when it is pointed straight at you it looks far more menacing :D

Here's a slightly better view of the business end ( sorry about loads of pics, it's gotta look right tho :) )

It's got a slight pattern in it so it actually looks like metal rather than a 3D tube that has been shaded.

post-29-1066083957_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69

Oh my, I hope Breunor doesn't think it's a vibrator :P

Looking good though, but the handle is a bit weird. It's supposed to look smooth but looks angular at some points :huh:

Did you model it with straight lines and used smooth on it, something like this:

/\_/\_/\ ?

Yeah, I wanted to make the points smoother but at 3000 poly's already...

It goes like \/^\/^

I'll never get the hand of ASCII :D Sort of a steep point going up and coming down then a much less steep point for the bit where the finger goes.

Edit: And at 50,000v it would be the worlds most powerful vibrator I think :D

Edited by Jim69

The barrel is split into 3 sections and they all have current going through them to stop someone ( or thing :D ) grabbing it away. The yellow and black parts are insulated casing that takes the 50,000v and 0v down to the seperate 3 sections. THe idea when I drew the design on paper was to have a baton simular to police batons that could flicked to get greater length.

I liked that last grip you had there Jim, it has the rubbery look which I think is good. You'd want a secure grip when swatting bugs IMO. The texture looks good, could you have a "Do Not Touch" text on the business end perhaps? Have you seen the previous concept done for the stun rod? It might give you some ideas for the shape of the rod itself, but I like this baton/night stick shape.

Me too :) I like the last pic which looking at it is a different angle to the pic above I think?

I also like the baton look to it and I always thought the stun rod in the original looked kinda daft. This one looks like it's cause pain :)

Just a thought Jim, is the red button a seperate item? If it does have its own skin texture you could make it shine like the cheap plastic does.

If not then you could burn into the texture a 'shine'. Still great stuff.

Well, it's extruded but having a seperate item is but a detach button press away :)

It's red because I couldn't think of a texture to do it in so it's just a placeholder. Cheap plastic sounds good :) I was toying with the idea of having a trigger like a bike clutch if you know what I mean, it is the same system the police use in their stun batons and that is what this is based upon so...

To apoc: 1m? It's a stun baton not a light saber :D Seriously tho, a soldier stands in a 1m square box and so will most of the aliens, if he is holding a 1m baton that makes 1.5m at least when he holds it out to stun the alien. Clipping problems afoot methinks. I'd like 500 mil as a max length handle to tip.

I think that having a trigger grip or a grip that has a lever or butting that reacts to pressure would be good aswell. My girlfriend has a lighter for her fireplace that looks kind of similar to that but it has a thumb and a trigger button so you don't activate it accidentally.

I was just thinking of drawing this thing out of its harness and how I would hate to zap myself in the thighs with it in the heat of battle.

I was sorta thinking along the same lines, plus I don't like a little plastic button, a lever trigger works best methinks.

For reference this is what I ( loosly ) based it on.

http://www.stun-guns-pepper-spray-ect.com/graphics/muscleman300.jpg

For simplicity, you can texture a safety button which slides in some direction to turn off the safety, and then a button which activates it. I also have one of those long lighters that uses the safety button, that would be fine here. It's looking like a good concept Jim, keep it up!

Update, tried to fix the grip a little, button made smaller and is now shiny :) Unfortunatly I haven't got enough poly's to make a bike break type pressure switch, so the button it is :(

post-29-1066276520_thumb.jpg

looks good. though we will probably have to do some work on the metal texture from the business end. It isn't quite getting across the metalic look IMO.

I agree, this is very strange but in the viewport it looks perfect and when I render it the shine goes straight off it. Ever heard of anything like this?

Am I paranoid or does it look bent? I am considering redoing it but not sure if it just me or not.

Edited by Jim69

I agree, this is very strange but in the viewport it looks perfect and when I render it the shine goes straight off it. Ever heard of anything like this?

Am I paranoid or does it look bent? I am considering redoing it but not sure if it just me or not.

I don't know whether it looks bent or not Jim, thats an issue you'll have to deal with ;) The texture on it is rotated slightly but the model looks straight to me.

What render settings are you using? I'm guessing you're using phong lighting if the shine is falling off in the render. Here is a tutorial that might help. In fact there are some damn good tutorials all over 3dtotal, especially for you guys that are having trouble texturing (not directed at you Jim ;))

Edited by Deimos

Had some dodgy setting activated, I think it is specific to MAX anyway so I got rid of it and it solved the problem :) Strange about the bow, from the wireframe it isn't bowed but it looks it, I redid it anyway. Here y'ar.

post-29-1066588205_thumb.png

Since noone has commented on this design I am lead to believe that it is accepted as finished. If this is not the case, because I can't believe that it is perfect, I'd appreciate some feedback. If after 3 days from this being posted noone has made any comments then I will move onto the low poly version, so speak now or forever hold you peace :)

I hope that my female xcorps troops don't get any funny ideas, I mean heck, with those stun rods and the chains I use to keep aliens subdued... I shudder to think...

Anyway, that is a yes, your stun rod is nice and Probably the final placeholder model.