XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Clarification

I have just about scanned the entire file - if that is it, then I should be able to do my bit by this time next week at the very least. I may even be able to do more if necessary.

Yeah, the first assignments are just to get everyone started with something. As each area is finished, I'll feed you more as you like. Part of it is taking notes on references made that could be contradicted in other entries, making sure the proper names are used, standard punctuation and that sort of thing.

There will also be varied writing styles to deal with, as well as the layout of the text needs to be consistent. To some extent this includes length, we've got short entries and monstrous entries, IMHO there should be some give and take on the extremes.

Discussion of such things can happen here.

Right, I think I will do as you suggest in the other thread, and merely proof read - that will be a first stage done with. Then for revisions I suggest a colour coded system. Shall we leave the original text in place in red, with the revision in green or something? Then we know where to be looking? This is for later anyway, so can be ignored for now.

Color coding the cross references might be useful, but I think it'll be more work than helpful really.

right, I have now got all my pieces in word documents, with a text document highlighting problems, mainly no body or fluff or something.

What do I do? Do I have to remove the tags or whatever they are? Or do I just copy the entire thing into the thread supplied?

For entries that don't have a summary/short entry at the top, I think we need to create one for consistency. I expect the code that will read and display this text will want something there, so just create a summary and I'll proof it, that should cover us for the time being.

As to fluff entries, same thing goes I guess. The code expects something to be there. It's not needed for XML per se, but for the actual game code is what I'm considering. If all else fails, I can come up with some smart a$$ comments. :D

Hi, sorry for the no-post activity.. had exams and intense revision. Thats still going on, but I've managed some proofing. As I understand, I'm doing the 'aliens' bit, so I post the whole lot of alien txt or just race by race? And also, should I post them as I finsih each one or all at once?

Questions:

what is our editing standard? ie black for original text, red for changes, green for comments/suggestions? IMO, we should have one, or editing might get a bit messy.

And the missing summary, I should fill in myself?

thx..

It's easier for me if you post each text as you proof it rather than all at once, also helps show progress better. If a summary is missing, or the current one doesn't look like a summary, just create one as best you can. Feel free to toss in a fluff entry if there isn't one, that's an optional part IMO.

As to editing, IMHO there's been plenty of discussion of the text entries already, and at this point we just need to smooth out grammar issues and points which conflict with the system as a whole. I wouldn't worry about color coding text, just send me what you consider to be the correct wording, and I'll go from there. I have reworded several entries to different extents already.

To everyone in general, please make sure these are run through a software spell check as well as a thorough grammar check on your part, I'm finding spelling errors in almost every entry sent to me, as well as words which phonetically fit, but are the wrong words: "there are too parts", that kind of thing. Also leave out any in the text, I'll be pasting each paragraph back into the xml file and don't need that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided that it is better to use a colour coded system. Any changes APART from standard grammar/spelling, should be coloured. Old words should be in red, with replacements in green. Then PM the ENTIRE thing to me, with the labels and stuff. Finally I will PM the entire thing to RustedSoul, with the changes that I feel are best. Then job done.

In this way, you are allowed to question anything about the texts, so if you feel that the wording is incorrect, or a different word sounds better, then feel free to voice your opinion. Also, you can look at compatibility amongst the various techs and so forth.

Ok, the colour code will be easy to stick to.

I have a suggestion for XML.

Provide a glossary.

After all, not everyone who plays the game will be a scienceish guy, and heck, I am 'supposed' to be one, but I don't understand a significant number of terms encountered in somes texts.

Over to you RS....

Additionally, would everyone download this file please. It shows my intended route until dissolution of the task force. All times are subject to change however. If you have publisher 2003, then I would recommend downloading the SECOND one because they are identical, except I spruced up the publisher one.

XNPRTF.rtf

hey awof

yeah m8, it might be more trouble than it's worth, considering the other cheaper and less time consuming alternative available, the dictionary. It's not a bad idea though, i'll have to give it more thought when my main task has been completed.

thanks Dipstick, back to you m8

If I am reading between the lines correctly, this is a programming issue or something - so out of my job description, so I will leave it up to you two, RS and RK, the two 'R's :D

Hmm, the 2'R's.....might have something there.....

Dips,

The deadline is 5th July right? I'll have my lot (aliens) posted in a few hours. Just had the last school assembly, so I should be able to get my txts done.

Sorry guys for the massive delay..

okay, now i have a confirmed approach. any last posts i have made recently in the ctd enties are proofread entries posted by me. So please check them(i have almost all of them saved)

or, you could follow your orders and zip them all up into one file/pm so dipstick does'nt have to run all over the place gathering entries.

yeah sorry m8, i was just considering that Dipstick was double checking all the entries and proof reading his own section aswell. I figured that taking a few extra minutes to make Dipstick's life easier could'nt go astray. ^_^

Blehm, re your plasma pistol and so forth - where are the tags and other xml stuff that RS has put a great deal of work into constructing? It would be easier for you (and RS) if you simply COPY the entire lot! And it would be in keeping with what I asked a while back.

Additionally, if you have done all the proofreading in word, would you lot mind keeping to the colour scheme and emailing the lot to me? I will clear out my hotmail account now. I would recommend no more than 250kb at a time, thank you.

Sorry about missing the meeting, I was unexpectedly engaged.

The deadline, for you to post to me, will be the 6th july. By the next day I aim to have finished everything and emailed to RS for simple copy to overwrite old entries. There will be a few missing, so I will stay on to do that, while the rest of you can have a (hopefully well earned!!) break.

i'm not allowed to download it. My dad says so. My other computer can, but it is slow, and doesn't work properly, so that is a no

another problem has arrisen:

I don't remember everything i changed from a while ago. Only recent stuff i can color code(also, should i sneek download the xml file?)

i don't quite have the best history with downloads(guess why I don't like using my back computer)

He just doesn't like to trust me

oh crap. i don't know if this can be done as well. okay. Awof, you need to do alien missions, and i will do earth craft weapons(hope no one else did them)

Just got back - will get up to speed very shortly and reorder task force.

My sit-rep is as follows:

Texts: Complete

Reread Awof's texts: Pending

Admin: In Progress

Right, blehm, is that now a complete list of what you have done?

awof, have you sent me everything you have done?

Magicandy: I will get back to you by the weekend

RS: anything I need to know, PM me.

PM me with an assignment and I'm on it. ^_^

Facehugger! What I really need now is somebody to collect and proofread the latest Autopsy ctds, zip them up and post them in blehms thread here ->

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4694

you don't have to worry about the xml, I'll handle that after i download the proofread entries.

As few as they are ATM <_>

Make sure the spelling is in American, and if you could indicate where you've made changes using the colour coded system (like the ctd I posted in http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4694) then that would be great.

document any inconsistency and other problems you noticed with ctd's in a seperate doc file.

example of what the doc file should contain

AutopsyReadme.doc

[Morlock]

Fluff mentions the exsistence of terrorist groups, which I thought were abolished prior to x-corps

[Terror disk]

Needs more description

[RustedSoul]

No ctd is available yet -20/07/04

If you would like to help me out, then i need that completed and posted within 7 days (by the 27th)

From now on, I want all proofread work zipped and POSTED on the forums. I'll tidy up any mess after this task force has completed it objective.

Best regards

-The Rusty one

Next topic:

Are we using the US or UK English dictionary here!!! :unsure:

I'm refering to things like "colour" (color) and "prioritised" (prioritized)

I will do the rest of the UFO xml till someone decides...

I was going to come up with this too. I think we should stick to the US for now, as it is easier to leave it for me. Then, I don't mind going through at a later date with a spellchecker for alternative versions in UK.

Facehugger! What I really need now is somebody to collect and proofread the latest Autopsy ctds, zip them up and post them in blehms thread here ->

I can do that. But first I need to know, do you want just the autopsy CTDs, or do you want all the alien race CTD's?

thanks m8, just the autopsies for now. Further work detail will be assigned only after that has been completed.

edit.. also, after you have completed and posted that, could you pm me with a rough estimate of your available free time for the following time period (27th - 2nd). That way Dipstick or myself can issue the proper work assignment.

Edited by RustedSoul

Okay. I'm on it. Got the Satryian one pretty much grammared up. Just waiting for confirmation from Boxershorts about the 'completeness' of the Ventriculant and Viper autopsies. The rest seem to be vapor however. I'll check when I get more time tommorow morning.

ok, just don't spend too much time waiting though. How i see it, if there are changes then they probably won't be made within your time frame.

could you pm me a basic report indicating what ctd's you've been unable to locate, within the next day or 2 would be great ^_^ . I'll have a cruise around and see what I can find.

Okay. I'll do it when I get home from work. So far, it looks like I've been unable to locate the Morlock (Muton) and Silibrate (Sillicoid) autposies so far, in addition to the Artopod (Sectopod.)

Of course, I just gave the forums a quick glance. When I get home from work today, I'll have the time to really look them over.