XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Floater Problem Can Be Easily Addressed..

XcomVic

Didnt know where to exactly put this but here goes...

people said that they beat the game too fast or game was too easy after they nabbed a floater navigator, so there only seems to be one way to address it if its a viable option:

Dont let floater navigators into the game until maybe mid-late 1999, then you can possibly beat the game within 5 months or so...

and then of course my armor idea, for each higher rank, an increase in armor will be applied, makes sense, you want to have you higher up protected... also by ranks would be their str/hp/int/ whatever....

ex:
sectoid soldier
armor 5
hp 100
psi power 30

sectoid engineer
armor 15 (cause you are working in a very dangerous area, highly volatile elerium)
hp 125
psi power 45

sectoid leader
armor 30
hp 150
psi power 100

sectoid commander
armor 45
hp 175
psi power 200

rem these are just examples....
hopefully my point that i was trying to make is clear...

Another suggested solution is to add some better alien weapons like a EMP cannon, specially designed to kill the flying ability of the XCOM personnel. And with that in mind I doubt you will be like to be floating arround if someone with an EMP Cannon is arround... If you get hit in midair, the automatic drop to the surface will cause you some sort of damage (like if you fell from a stair :D )

Greetings
Red Knight

The alien navigators get you the Hyperwave Decoder, maybe the best solution is to make the HWD harder to get? Or you don't know all of the information it gives, until you interrogate navigators (and engineers?) from other races as well.

X-COM had aliens get tougher at higher ranks. Many long hours of PSI control have tought me that. :) It's definately something that should be done in Xenocide.

[quote]Didnt know where to exactly put this but here goes...

people said that they beat the game too fast or game was too easy after they nabbed a floater navigator, so there only seems to be one way to address it if its a viable option:

Dont let floater navigators into the game until maybe mid-late 1999, then you can possibly beat the game within 5 months or so...

and then of course my armor idea, for each higher rank, an increase in armor will be applied, makes sense, you want to have you higher up protected... also by ranks would be their str/hp/int/ whatever....[/quote]

Why, would be a floater navigator be responsible for finishing the game early? :huh?: Edited by kelfka

The Hyperwave Decoder is quite possibly the most powerful thing in the game.

Maybe it's not the navigators themselves, but because hi-rank floaters are about the easiest to capture in the game. Think about it- they have no PSI, the weakest health, and laughable terrorists, so anyone with a stunrod can capture an entire UFO of them. They could be made tougher, so they can't be stunned so easily.

But, what if they were made weaker? A zap from a stun rod could short-circuit the life support of a floater. The result is a high mortality rate, making captures much less successful. An alternative would be to use the stun bomb, which requires extra time and research. If you really want high-rank aliens early, you'd then have to go for sectoids, (PSI=ouch) or snakemen (chrysallid=ouch).

Making satyrians hard to stun sounds like a good idea to me. The raptor should also be much better in Xenocide so that will help some.

I didn't know we we're going to do fall damage in Xenocide, that's cool! Edited by Whitewashed

I definately think that a higher mortality rate for stuns would work (this could be extended to sectoids too) it can be pretty easy to complete that game without ever doing an alien base.

Will require extensive testing.

• 2 months later...
just make the sytherians float up where you can reach them with a stunrod. You would have to get a stun LAUNCHER, and you can only get those later. There you go.

[quote name='mikker' date='May 13 2004, 06:56 AM']just make the sytherians float up where you can reach them with a stunrod. You would have to get a stun LAUNCHER, and you can only get those later. There you go.[/quote]
Mikker is right. We can fix the stunrod versus satryian problem by a simple change in their AI. If we make em run away from someone with a stun rod, then we won't have to worry so much (if they're in a UFO. In the outdoors, Mikker's idea would work really well.)

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps navigators are trained to be quiet, so they are very hard to interrogate and may even die because they will not cave in to torture