XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Roadwar

j'ordos

Roadwar v1.13

Aimed at improving X-com apocalypse's road vehicles, which are pretty useless in the original game. Allows you to make road tiles invulnerable and for fun there's a bunch of other minor tweaks available. Included in the archive is a UFODATA folder, it contains citymap.dat for those who haven't got it (steam version users and CD owners who did a minimal install). If you already have it there's no need to overwrite it and you will lose any changes you did to it (contains tile properties, such as road strength) Enjoy!

Win32 binaries compiled using FreeBasic 0.90.1: [url="http://www.freebasic.net/"]http://www.freebasic.net/[/url]

Edited by j'ordos

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: note by j'ordos: this refers to my original intent to replace the Dimension shifter with a new disruptor ground weapon.

Hehe, cool. It should be pretty simple to change it, all you need to do is find the "variable" that tells the game what certain things are.

I suggest you turn the Dimension Shifter into a one-shot instakill gun. That only reloads when you come back to base. Basically it forces the alien to jump back to their dimension on the spot. But they aren't on a gate, so they can't. They explode instantly. :D Edited by j'ordos

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Sep 19 2004, 10:38 PM']Hehe, cool. It should be pretty simple to change it, all you need to do is find the "variable" that tells the game what certain things are.

I suggest you turn the Dimension Shifter into a one-shot instakill gun. That only reloads when you come back to base. Basically it forces the alien to jump back to their dimension on the spot. But they aren't on a gate, so they can't. They explode instantly. :D
[right][post="95133"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
LOL yeah, question is, where is the variable? ^_^
Hmm, I was thinking more of a rapid fire disrupter weapon. (most ground weapons seem to have a high fire rate), but I will have to stick to an existing weapon type, it seems. Edited by j'ordos

Dimension Shifter as a weapon:

Have you heard of supertasks? They're paradoxes, one of them is when you have a marble and 2 boxes. The marble is in box A, in 1 second it switches to box B. Then, in 1/2 second, it goes back to box A. Assume that changes boxes takes 0 time. This continues for 2 seconds. Which box is the marble in at the end of the allotted time? Impossible to tell, as this implies that the marble will be in a box at the end. It shall eventually be going so fast that it ceases to exist in either box. It still exists, but it is impossible to tell where.
Anyway, this relates to the dimension shifter because the shifter could have the same effect. It would continuously move the target back and forth between the dimensions, eventually, in effect, vaporizing it. But if it was used on a non-inter-dimensional craft, it would do as Exo2000 said. Just think of the Cult got its hands on one of them. . .your fleet of Annihilators gone in one battle. Ouch.

Buying, stripping and selling the stormdog for more money is not a bug. It's economics. People do that in real life. Buy low, sell high. That is just one way to do it in this game.

Had to get that out of my system. :)

- NKF

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Sep 20 2004, 03:27 AM']Dimension Shifter as a weapon:

Have you heard of supertasks?  They're paradoxes, one of them is when you have a marble and 2 boxes.  The marble is in box A, in 1 second it switches to box B.  Then, in 1/2 second, it goes back to box A.  Assume that changes boxes takes 0 time.  This continues for 2 seconds.  Which box is the marble in at the end of the allotted time?  Impossible to tell, as this implies that the marble will be in a box at the end.  It shall eventually be going so fast that it ceases to exist in either box.  It still exists, but it is impossible to tell where.
Anyway, this relates to the dimension shifter because the shifter could have the same effect.  It would continuously move the target back and forth between the dimensions, eventually, in effect, vaporizing it.  But if it was used on a non-inter-dimensional craft, it would do as Exo2000 said.  Just think of the Cult got its hands on one of them. . .your fleet of Annihilators gone in one battle.  Ouch.
[right][post="95169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Annihilators are inter-dimensional, so they're fine. :D (As are probes, Retaliators, Biotransports and Explorers)

Though the thing is, it would cause the ship to perhaps constantly flux in dimension (going to other random ones that don't actually exsist) and some of those dimensions could have different laws of physics than our own, and thereby be incredibly volatile to the aliens or even you.

The things you have to worry about are Hawks, Valks and Phoenix cars going missing. As noted before the following vessels will be fine;

Annihilator
Retaliator
Bio-Transport
Explorer
Dimension Probe

IMO, the thing should only be able to fit on the Griffon AFV, or the Front Slot of an Annihilator, to make it "fair".

uh well, all those doom theories about the dimension shifter, the item itself doesn't work, and turning it into a weapon removes any effect it has anyway, so... :)

It would be a ground vehicle only weapon, not for the annihilator, and I think I'll make it available for all ground vehicles, so they aren't rendered useless. I could, however, turn one of the new xcom vehicles into a ground vehicle, the only one capable of mounting the disruptor type ground weapon?
Anyway, we're not there yet, I'm also wondering if simply putting the dimension shifter on one of the UFO types will allow you to research it once recovered? Or is it like xcom1/2, only the items that are on the ufo in the battlescape count? In that case, I'll have to stick to, for example, replacing the 40mm autocannon (ground) with a new weapon instead (the 40mm autocannon is only used on the police cars, and they can simply get the stormdog's airguard cannon instead), and make it available after X weeks. (organizations developing their own technology based on disruptor tech?) That should work perfectly.

Also noticed a few image errors, regarding the cargo and bio trans modules, and the rumble and plasma cannon (tank). The images seem to be swapped. This could be easily fixed, but I'm wondering which image is correct, the UFOpedia one, or the one used ingame? Perhaps someone knows?

Also, one note about the prog, any changes made don't work for existing savedgame vehicles. ie, the stormdog's price will only be altered in newly started games, craft's chance to get hit is not fixed on any ground vehicles you may have had before (although when you buy new ones they will be correct, in savedgames too), and so on.

edit : oh, and NKF, if you don't like it, simply answer no when asked :) . I'll call it an 'exploit' if that eases your conscience :D Edited by j'ordos

Well, call it a 'business exploit'. ;)

No real opinions on the weapons except that I'd like to see the game move away from having extreme weapons (extreme as in extremely weak, or extremely powerful). More medium level weapons that you'll use on a regular basis is probably the way to go.

The anti-airguard cannon that comes on the Stormdog is actually a lot less effective than the other turret. Odd how the anti-airguard cannon is double barrelled but slower while the - I think it was another 40mm-type cannon - is one barreled but is actually a lot faster and a lot more effective. Basically I mean the turret that comes standard issue on police squadcars.

- NKF

[quote name='NKF' date='Sep 21 2004, 06:35 AM']Well, call it a 'business exploit'. ;)

No real opinions on the weapons except that I'd like to see the game move away from having extreme weapons (extreme as in extremely weak, or extremely powerful). More medium level weapons that you'll use on a regular basis is probably the way to go.

The anti-airguard cannon that comes on the Stormdog is actually a lot less effective than the other turret. Odd how the anti-airguard cannon is double barrelled but slower while the - I think it was another 40mm-type cannon - is one barreled but is actually a lot faster and a lot more effective. Basically I mean the turret that comes standard issue on police squadcars.

- NKF
[right][post="95304"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well, perhaps someone with some programming skills can make a vehicle weapon editor? :) . I'll do it, eventually, but well, my programming skills are... Not that grand ;)

Don't know about the two ground cannons, IIRC, the airguard has greater range, and better damage, and especially that extra range helps. In that lemmings savedgame, 40 police cars go up against a single stormdog, and the stormdog mostly manages to take out one or two, (ofcourse, the police cars don't attack all at once, they follow in a neat line, but still there are 2-3 shooting at the stormdog). Armor can't be much of an issue, as the stormdog has 5 rear armor instead of 2, and 5 under instead of 4 (which shouldn't count in ground combat? :) ), rest is the same, and it only has 45 hp instead of 50 for the police car.

edit : also, is it correct that the rumble cannon is manufactured by megapol? Seems quite odd to me... And any idea about what week to make the new ground weapon available? Edited by j'ordos

The Plasma Cannon is the one with the big fat end/barrel and it's kinda yellowish, much more so on the Cityscape than the Rumble, which is more orange and is slimmer.

(Yes, I noticed this some time ago... the turrets on the Tank change!)

EDIT: On the cityscape that is. Edited by Exo2000

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Sep 21 2004, 06:44 PM']The Plasma Cannon is the one with the big fat end/barrel and it's kinda yellowish, much more so on the Cityscape than the Rumble, which is more orange and is slimmer.

(Yes, I noticed this some time ago... the turrets on the Tank change!)

EDIT: On the cityscape that is.
[right][post="95380"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I don't see any change in the cityscape turret, unless you mean the weapon icon? :huh?:

On a slightly unrelated note : I just figured out how to alter the equipment layout data for vehicles today :happybanana:

also tried turning the alien probe into a ground vehicle, but sadly it was destroyed instantly once it spawned :( . Would've been fun to see some ground battles :) . Turning it into an overspawn didn't work either, it simply disappeared... Perhaps I can turn the overspawn into an alien tank? (with weapons, bound to the road) :) (edit: nope.)
About ground battles, also trying to figure out how to get corporations to bring out ground vehicles when they are under attack... You'd think twice before attacking cult of sirius temples when they roll out a few tanks ;) . But I'm afraid this is not altered easily... Edited by j'ordos

Look carefully. Trust me on this. At about 800x600, you can tell which Turret a tank has. I suspect the GLM will have a blue pixel or two at one end, the Rumble is dark orange and the Plasma is brightish yellow.

I'll see if I can get screenshots as proof :P

EDIT: Nevermind, my LSD-fuelled mind was making stuff up. Edited by Exo2000

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Sep 20 2004, 03:27 AM']Dimension Shifter as a weapon:

Have you heard of supertasks?  They're paradoxes, one of them is when you have a marble and 2 boxes.  The marble is in box A, in 1 second it switches to box B.  Then, in 1/2 second, it goes back to box A.  Assume that changes boxes takes 0 time.  This continues for 2 seconds.  Which box is the marble in at the end of the allotted time?  Impossible to tell, as this implies that the marble will be in a box at the end.  It shall eventually be going so fast that it ceases to exist in either box.  It still exists, but it is impossible to tell where.[right][post="95169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

And it's in neither box. If you think, it takes 1 second to get to box A, and 1/2 a second to get to Box B. So, therefore, at 2 seconds, it is in neither box, or rather, in transit to Box B, and therefore non-exsistant, because it is half-way there. If this marble is self-propelled and there are holes in the boxes you could argue that it's halfway there, but if it's being teleported it's split between the two. So it's either in neither of the boxes, or BOTH of the boxes.

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Sep 23 2004, 04:56 PM']Look carefully. Trust me on this. At about 800x600, you can tell which Turret a tank has. I suspect the GLM will have a blue pixel or two at one end, the Rumble is dark orange and the Plasma is brightish yellow.

I'll see if I can get screenshots as proof :P

EDIT: Nevermind, my LSD-fuelled mind was making stuff up.
[right][post="95592"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
OK then, I decided to take the UFOPedia image for the real one, that way, I wouldn't have to swap the .PCX files in the UFOPAEDI folder, and you could simply restore your backup of UFO2P.EXE to turn everything back to normal again.

About the new ground weapon, looks like I'll have to replace an existing one anyway, wether I use the dimension shifter or not :( .

Out of curiostiy, would it be possible to modify the GLM array (the smaller GLM - the one that comes standard issue with the Woflhound) to increase its rate of fire substantially and reduce the damage done by the rockets (perhaps even modify the turn rate of the rocket if possible)?

I'm trying to imagine those rocket systems used in a lot of classic Anime (Macross, Mospaeda, etc) where a whole mess of miniature rockets are fired from a rocket bay at once.

It's more for the flamboyance rather than for a practical reason. :)

And as for the tanks, shouldn't there also be a slot for a minigun or somesuch? I mean, real tanks have a main cannon and a machine gun, right?

Just throwing some ideas out onto the table.

- NKF

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Sep 25 2004, 10:30 AM']Replace teh Plasma Cannon!
[right][post="95844"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Dunno, some like it better than the rumble cannon... I'll try to make it user defineable which weapon gets replaced tho. Everyone happy :)
I currently have replaced the 40mm AC turret, available after 8 weeks, dunno if that's a good value?

[quote name='NKF' date='Sep 25 2004, 11:56 AM']Out of curiostiy, would it be possible to modify the GLM array (the smaller GLM - the one that comes standard issue with the Woflhound) to increase its rate of fire substantially and reduce the damage done by the rockets (perhaps even modify the turn rate of the rocket if possible)?

I'm trying to imagine those rocket systems used in a lot of classic Anime (Macross, Mospaeda, etc) where a whole mess of miniature rockets are fired from a rocket bay at once.

It's more for the flamboyance rather than for a practical reason. :)

And as for the tanks, shouldn't there also be a slot for a minigun or somesuch? I mean, real tanks have a main cannon and a machine gun, right?

Just throwing some ideas out onto the table.

- NKF
[right][post="95851"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
You're right about that GLM array, it always looked like some sort of MLRS to me :) . And it is entirely possible to change all those values, good idea! Might need more ammo capacity then though...

I could add an extra weapon slot to the tank, but you would be able to add the new disruptor weapon to it, making it perhaps a bit too powerful? (disruptor weapon is 2x2, so it can fit on the APC and stormdog as well). And there is no real MG weapon :) . I did think of turning the probe into a ground vehicle, with 2 or even 3 weapon slots (one for the tank weapons and one/two for the 2x2 weapons).

But I need to figure out exact stats, making it balanced, currently the disruptor weapon is :
speed : 15 (same as airguard)
damage : 40 (same as medium disruptor)
accuracy : 70% (same as 40mm AC)
range : 180 (same as airguard)

available after 8 weeks
cost : 6000
min stock increase : 0
max stock increase : 3

i.e : high damage, high fire rate, low range, high cost, low availabilty.

edit : also, if anyone is interested, I wrote down what I know of the vehicle and vehicle weapons data in a text file, so I could remember it later on, it's probably not really clear, and it doesn't contain everything (should update it :) ), but I could post it here. Edited by j'ordos

update, check first post :)

doesn't matter if you have disruptor tech by then or not, powerful corps like MarSec will probably get their hands on it someway or another, consider it to be that VIP and spionage stuff that got stripped out :) Edited by j'ordos

• 1 year later...
Victory!!

After random value changes I finally managed to make roads invincible! I don't have any clue how it works, but after replacing every '0F' in CITYMAP.DAT with 'FF', roads are indestructable. there's about 470 0F's in CITYMAP.DAT, meaning many other things will probably have changed too, but so far I couldn't find anything. I'll attach this new CITYMAP.DAT here, put it in the ufodata folder and overwrite the existing file (don't forget to back it up). Should you find something unusual, post it here please :)

edit: attachment removed, now incorporated with roadwar 0.9 Edited by j'ordos

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Oct 16 2005, 06:05 PM']'0F' in CITYMAP.DAT with 'FF', roads are indestructable. there's about 470 0F's in CITYMAP.DAT, meaning many other things will probably have changed too.
[right][post="137543"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

erm, 470 0F's to FF, sounds a bit excessive, you sure you havent done anything silly like making vehicles invincible, or buildings invincible, or *shudders* invincible overspawns, or roads dont get destroyed but still tally up damage so if you keep shooting a piece of road it will give you some huge city damage score and TS will love you no more.

Of course if only roads has changed and none of the above applies, then yay, this was the main problem with using road vehicles and if youve fixed it then its great.

Edit: You might want to put vehicles ECM's back up now that roads are indestructable. Edited by Sharp

hmmm, the problem is, they shouldn't be invincible. When a mothership comes through, and destroys half the city, roads ripped up add to the carnage and look better, so i think making roads very tough is best. anything offroad would be best

also, overspawns even if they're invincible won't be completely invincible. They get killed all the time from collapsing buildings

[quote name='Blehm 98' date='Oct 17 2005, 05:18 PM']also, overspawns even if they're invincible won't be completely invincible.  They get killed all the time from collapsing buildings
[right][post="137605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You know, that sorta doesnt make sense, invincible things actually not being invincible, although if the buildings are invincible, sorta makes overspawns a tad bit useless regardless of thier erm, invincibility.

Ripped up roads do look good so if there was a way of making ground vehicles go off road(or over destroyed road paths) it might be better and would hopefully have no bugs then changing 470 0F's to FF.

LOL, don't worry, vehicle data is stored in UFO2P.EXE, not citymap.dat. I assume some other tiles will have become invincible too, and who knows what else is stored in citymap.dat, perhaps there'll be a few graphical glitches here and there? Anyway, I don't think there'll be any serious changes, besides, you have to remember each tile has an armor value, the roads alone have about 100-200 different tiles (corners, highways, elevations, ... ), so it's not like 469 other things have changed :)

An added bonus is that engineers and scientists will always be able to get back now, even when transtellar is mad at you, which also won't happen as frequently, as their roads don't get blown up anymore. edit: this is not true unfortunately :(

Yeah, I also thought about not making them completely invincible, but I currently don't really understand how the armor works. I know you need a minimum damage of 9 (or was it 10?) to destroy roads, which have an armor value of 16, and you need a minimum damage of 7 to destroy those "people tube towers", which have an armor value of 10. Perhaps some of those great minds wandering around here at xcomufo can make something out of it, but I figured I'd just leave it at completely indestructable for now. Besides, something like off-roading is still impossible.

Yes, I'll probably get rid of the "ECM" fix with the next update, though I may still include it for the non-military vehicles, as I sometimes wish to vent my frustration on some puny CoS civilian cars without having to wait 5 minutes before that @#è! finally actually hits it.

Can't do anything about the overspawn, that's an AI issue... Edited by j'ordos

hmmm... something I haven't checked, maybe someone else has: is it possible to create "roads" or rather whole areas that consist only of four-way intersections? and if it is possible, how do vehicles behave when moving from one corner to another? do they move more-or-less diagonally across? if that would be possible, all you would have to do is find a way to dissociate the ground graphics from the in-game mechanics, turning every land tile into an intersection, and you would have "off-road" movement possible.

am I speaking nonsense? I know very little about the game mechanics of apocalypse, so I might be. :)

Neither do I :)
I don't think I've ever seen a map with multiple intersections placed next to each other, and that XME editor doesn't apply any changes you make, it's more of a 'map viewer'. Would mean a lot of work figuring all that out I'm afraid, maybe later :)

for the invincible roads, only citymap.dat has been changed. I found them by replacing values with a hex editor and then watching the effects, yes, which can be rather tedious, especially if you don't really know what you're looking for, or even know if you're changing stuff in the right file :)

I think il download it once you put ECM back on, dont want my shiny new Griffon to get blow up by a bunch of alien bombers.

Or i might just download it nowish and do some bug-hunting.

Edit: Just to make sure, you havent put roads indestructable on the Mod just yet have you? Becuase the one I tried didnt have any invincible roads. Also I changed the 40mm cannon to disruptor gun, I cant load it onto my vehicle yet (not too sure if the game was past 8 weeks, but it did let me buy it), though police cars seem happy enough using them. Edited by Sharp

The invincible roads are currently completely disconnected from roadwar, the only way to get that is by downloading citymap.rar (in this thread), and extracting that one to your ufodata folder. ([i]edit: citymap fix is now included in roadwar[/i]) This does [i]not[/i] include any other (known) changes, like the ECM fix etc... Unless serious bugs pop up I'll include it with the next update of roadwar.
Roadwar only changes something when you answer yes to a question.

About the new disruptor weapon, I discovered a bug that disallows you from putting it on your vehicles, don't know how it slipped in, but it's fixed with the next update (which will also allow you to R&D it, instead of buying it).
Roadwar does not alter savegames, so if you change the 40mm cannon, existing police cars will get the disruptor weapon (newly built police cars will get the repeater cannon instead)
Same goes for the ECM fix, if you restore your backup so they are harder to hit again, existing vehicles in a savegame will not yet be altered, but if you buy new ones they'll be ok.

And you don't have to worry about your griffon being blown up with the ECM fix, the tank is even stronger than an annihilator, it can take a HUGE amount of punishment, same goes for the APC. Only the stormdog is blown away with one-two shots. Edited by j'ordos

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply.
I've been busy with apoc'd ([url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242025400"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242025400[/url], but now it's released, I intend to release a new version of roadwar (ETA unknown :) ) finally adding the research&development of the new ground disruptor turret, and an option to reduce availability of flying vehicles. Perhaps some other things too, suggestions are always welcome :)
More serious changes (like off-roading) would require me figuring out the citymap file, that'll take some time (and some motivation too :) ).

• 3 months later...

Roadwar v0.91 and 0.92 were released recently;

added research & manufacturing for the new disruptor ground weapon (finally :) ) and updated its stats.

added an option to reduce air vehicle market availability.

added an option to make air vehicle engines use elerium-115 instead of fusion powerfuel.

v0.92 fixes a problem with the alternative GLM Array, and while I was at it, I also changed it, as it wasn't very interesting. Now it is a weapon similar to the disruptor multi-bomb launcher. In a first stage the weapon launches an unguided rocket with very little damage potential, that disappears very quickly (about as fast as a plasma defence array beam) after which it splits in four (I think) prophet missiles. It also still has an insane fire rate (6 rounds/sec) so it can cause massive damage (often to the city as well though). Because it's limited to 16 rounds and many missiles don't hit their targets it's mainly effective against the smaller UFOs (though it will often destroy them when 'downed' because of the overkill amount of missiles). The more UFOs are nearby the better.

The missiles don't seem to spawn if there's no hostile unit nearby, so don't use it to attack buildings, the rocket will disappear before reaching it unless you're very close.

As of v0.92 the projectile lifetime will be altered too if you extend the range of ground weapons.

Edited by j'ordos

• 9 months later...

v0.93 here, should support the german version of xcom apocalypse.

Also adds a few new features, nothing serious though.

Note that this version no longer alters the name of the new disruptor weapon and it's research/manufacturing topic.

• 4 weeks later...

The invulnerable roads fix should be bug free now, but before I release it has anyone got an idea whether I should make them not entirely invulnerable, and if so, what weapons should be able to destroy the roads?

edit: keep in mind that as soon as UFOs start appearing with weapons capable of destroying roads this will effectively render road vehicles obsolete.

Edited by j'ordos

Hey j'ordos, I've just tried and good job.

However, I think that the Rumble Cannon might be a little too powerful. Here's my experience:

I bought 3 Griffon AFVs at the beginning, together with 4 bikes and 2 Stormdogs and first I armed them with the Missile Launcher and some other ground weapon I can't remember, together with a Medium Weapons Control. Then I located the Cult's main temple and went on to destroy it to bits. :D

That wasn't too difficult, so I decided to take down another temple. However, one of my shots must have accidentaly hit a Megapol building, because the police cars started to fire at my vehicules. Meanwhile I noticed the Rumble Cannon has unlimited ammo, so I brought all AFVs back to base and reequipped them with the original cannons.

Then I attacked a Megapol building: it gets completely destroyed, plus all the intercepting craft by the AFVs without any damage done.

Then I attacked another. And another. Meanwhile, my fleet of Griffons moves by one of the gang's slums, so it gets demolished too. I wonder if there's anything that can stop it so I go attacking all organizations: MarSec, Transtellar, etc.

At end? 3 nearly intact Griffons and half the city destroyed. So I am wondering if those chances don't make off balance the game too much towards ground vehicules (plus considering how no organization uses them).

Yes the tank is unstoppable when it comes to demolishing the city, but that doesn't really help you in a normal game :) . When it comes to UFO interceptions they're hardly a match against the air vehicles who are faster, not bound by the road and as such not hindered by poor pathfinding. Ground vehicles are cheap, durable and slow while air vehicles are fast and fragile (not counting the Xcom craft that is). It sounds balanced at least ;)

edit: besides, to get people to actually dismiss usual air tactics in favour of ground vehicles you simply *have* to come up with unbalancing features ^_^ if you think the rumble cannon is too powerful you could drop the 360 degrees firing arc upgrade.

Can you make it so that roads on platforms can be destroyed? That would add some realism. Either that or just reduce vehicle ECM further.

No problem to implement that, but the superhuman map is made almost entirely out of elevated highways... Might eliminate their use on that difficulty level?

Edited by j'ordos

Thats a Dirty lie.

Alot of it isnt XP!

It wouldnt eliminate, just hinder. ^^

Edit: Just a quick thought, would it be possible to change these vehicles into air vehicles as a means of going off roading? XD!

If needed I could always do the sprites myself.

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

Havent tested it yet but I remember hearing something that if your vehicle is on an elevated highway and the road is destroyed, if there is a road underneath the vehicle can survive :P

Also it makes it more balancing for tanks as you will want to be careful on elevated highways, also it would be cool if you made that when organisations defend thier buildings or go to attack other peoples buildings that they use ground vehicles as well (doesnt always have to be tanks, just a few stormdogs and a wolfhound mebbe? ) would be fun if your Wolfhound APC is being chased by a tank or something so you decide to go onto a highway and blow up the road behind you to destroy the tank :P

Also while typing this ive just realised that elevated highways are destroyed currently when using roadwar, as shown in the gif animation in my game thread which at the start has the elevated highway blown to bits by some erm stray fire. Of course I am actually using one of the older versions of roadwar.... (at least 4 or 5 versions old) so it could be that you already fixed that ^_^

As I said somewhere in this thread (I think): the pillars which support the highways can still be destroyed, so it is a bit more dangerous up there, but in normal air combat this doesn't happen all that often. In your gif it is caused by the tank I believe?

Yeah getting orgz to use ground vehicles is something I've been wanting to do sometime, but no luck so far. In fact, the UFOpedia entry for the police car states it recently got an upgrade because of the gangs' 'prevalence to engage in road combat'. Yet not a single organisation uses military ground vehicles. True roadwar!

modding ground vehicles to fly is possible, but I don't believe this to be a feasable solution.

Anyways, thx for the input so far all, currently I included multiple options for the strength level of road tiles though no difference between highways yet. I'll think about it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Since the original goal has been achieved (invulnerable road tiles without bugs :) ) version 1.0 is released. Doesn't mean I won't update it anymore though, bugfixes and balancing and such, but real new features probably won't happen that often anymore.

Besides the improved road fixing (which is also a lot faster now) this version adds some features which actually mainly help flying vehicles: improved retribution missile launchers and built-in missile defenses for capital ships.

Enjoy!