XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Has Anyone Figured Out How To...

Captain Chaos

Has anyone figured out how to slow down the clock? And I already know about mo'slo. I want to slow down the clock on the geo world screen. Not the whole game.

I'm running it on a 486/100 system, and the seconds are still flicking by too darn fast. If I use mo'slo, I can slow it down some, but then of course, the whole game slows down, specially the ground combat part.

I was just wondering if anyone figured out how to affect the clock without affecting the whole game.

Thanks

DOSBox is NOT gonna run well on a 486...but if you put it on a much faster computer, it would work...it does let you speed up/slow down the number of cycles that the emulated PC is running at, so you should be able to 'tweak' the speed. But on a 486, DOSBox will be hella slow, no matter what you do....

If you keep using the 486, see if it still has a 'turbo' button...486s were the last to really enable/have this feature, which could be used to slow down in geoscape (turbo off) / speed up in battlescape (turbo on)...though I'm not sure if a 486/100 would still have this, and turbo off might be TOO slow...

Grommet

And here I've been thinking my Pentium 133 was too slow for UFO!

Have you got Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 on the system? Try running X-Com through that. It should eat up a fair chunk of your system resources and slow down the game considerably. It's worth a try.

Also, try looking for old slowdown utilities, like Moslow. That was designed for running under dos - although you might have to perform a few clever tricks to get it to run UFO's main batch file.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm running DOS 6.22 on the 486. So DOSBOX is not an option. ;) I guess I'll make do with the fast clock.

I tried running it under mo'slo, but if I turned it down too much, EVERYTHING in the game slowed down, not just the clock. So I guess it's programed to run that fast anyway.

Thanks,