XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Aftermath Is Actually Pretty Good!

Puasonen

I bought it now (yes it took this long :Blush: ) Well anyways I have played it nonstop for 3h now and I think it's pretty good! Not bored yet. Patch 1.3 is installed and it works like a dream. Screw you who doesn't like it! :D

I've got it too..

IMHO I think the game should be made to load (everything..!!) faster. It just takes ages to get from the 'geoscape' to the 'battlescape'. Several things get to me, like the lack of base management (a whole base dedicated to research..??), lack of turn-based play, the awkward starting positions (hey, we saw the sky ranger, where's the chinnook in this one?), and again the loading times...

I just played some more and again stuck to it for 2,5 hours. I really like it! Loading times aren't that long actually if you compare to FarCry for example. :D Base management is one thing I miss, destructible terrain is another. I still like this game a lot though. I decided not to buy this but when I heard they are making a sequal with destructible terrain and houses that inlcudes the insides and a lot more base management and research/manufacture and stuff, I thought I have to play the first one through too so I can catch the story in the second :)

Now I know I would have missed a lot!

The only thing that really made me go nuts is when you do crashed ufo's. You can't walk inside! Sometime you're stuck in the middle, sometimes you can somewhat walk around, but there are lots of places that you can't! :cussing:

The only thing that really made me go nuts is when you do crashed ufo's. You can't walk inside! Sometime you're stuck in the middle, sometimes you can somewhat walk around, but there are lots of places that you can't! :cussing:

Yeah, that's VERY annoying. It wasn't like that to begin with though, it was when they added many new features in the 1.3 patch that the bug was introduced. They have said that there will be a patch to fix this, but ETA is unknown.

@awof: Long load times? I never had that problem...

My load times have been no longer than 30 seconds to a minute. Just long enough for me to get a soda actually. :D

And Aftershock looks like its going to be a much more...immersive game than Aftermath. Even though there are going to be no more interceptions. :(

Edit: Puasonen, Aftermath is very fun, until you get near the end with the aliens and their virtually unstoppable super weapons. Of course, you get weapons like that too, but it is still annoying when an alien has a gun that can kill your guys in 1-3 hits. :(

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

Edit: Puasonen, Aftermath is very fun, until you get near the end with the aliens and their virtually unstoppable super weapons. Of course, you get weapons like that too, but it is still annoying when an alien has a gun that can kill your guys in 1-3 hits. :(

You should kill them first then :wink:

Yeah, my tactics sucks :D

• 1 month later...

Well that is not the real problem. Once u are well underway u get biomass and lets face it u have to get a mission inside it to get a sample. It does not matter if it overruns a base u still dont have a sample. Man i hate that the stuff is just outside a base cant a scientist take some with him on his smoke break. And i cant just make a mission there the PC just have to do that at random.

It really sucks losing bases to something that is completely out of your control good alien weapons i can live with. Strong aliens i can beat but biomass well it is just a random event u either are lucky and get a sample soon or u can end up losing a lot of bases to the biomass.

I actually ended up with the Biomass being way away from my base areas. One down in Antarctica, where I got the initial sample after slacking off for a few weeks (I believe.. I really didn't go for it right away. Wasn't on my list of priorities at the time), and then quarantined it between Vostok and the Falkland Islands.

The other section.. was in Africa.. and it's grown out of control. Barely holding it in place from my only-recently-established bases in Europe.

Got control of like 35 bases, last I checked.. But it's amazing how this little corner of Canada (the far-eastern segment, where Newfoundland and Nova Scotia lie) has eluded my grasp for this whole time. I have nearly everything else in the Western Hemisphere.

Maybe I can get it from the other side of the Atlantic..

I could probably go ahead and work towards the last few actions that would finally end it, but I want to see how much more of the world I can liberate. I also want to cleanse Africa of the Biomass.. if not, there's still the chance of isolating it to a small patch in Africa.

Referring back to my frontline along the Mediterranean.. Rome was actually overrun at a time, before I aquired it. In fact, I had a situation from my last few saves where, if I captured a crashed UFO that was in the Gibraltar region, it would immediately capture the Rome base, but then, because the Biomass was there, it would immediately go dead. Ergo, I waited until my anti-biomass stations cleansed the area. In fact, once it was cleansed, the CoE regulars captured the place for me! That was just beautiful timing.

Now I just have to capture that UFO.. AGAIN.. Have I told you guys how much I hate aliens with explosives? Well, I do. Especially Missile Launchers. Damned Blaster Launchers and whatnot always piss me off.. I've been having trouble dealing with their equivalents in this game.. A Reticulan with a Rocket Launcher in a UFO is just a deathtrap waiting to happen..

Edited by Aleksander Storm

• 9 months later...