XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Programmer Instructions

nullmind

Howdy.

I was trying to to follow the instructions to get a development environment set up.

My biggest problem so far was the devpack.net2003 doesn't contain the later mentioned 'devpack.net2003\compiler' directory, and hence no solution file.

I can also mention that the DX9 sdk didn't include itself into VC++, but the instructions covered this fine (I'm using VS.Net2003 enterprise...).

Perhaps the document also could mention why there is a need for the environment variables that need to be set?

Finally I wonder if there is any active development on other platforms, e.g. Linux?

Yup, done that. Nothing wanted to build, since I seemed to lack two env. variables:

Project The following environment variables were not found: $(Xenocide)$(Ogre)

I added variables Xenocide and Ogre in addition to %XENOCIDE% and %OGRE%, gave them the same values.

After this, I can build the debug version, the release version refuses to link. Example of error:

networklib error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall ZThread::Condition::Condition(class ZThread::Lockable &)" (__imp_??0Condition@ZThread@@QAE@AAVLockable@1@@Z)

Returned to the debug build and started xenoui; this failed since OgreMain.dll couldn't be found. How do I resolve this one?

:D Those are the instructions I'm following. Bugs so far:

• don't mention variables Xenocide and Ogre
  • don't mention the need to check out the devpack2003.net module in addition to the download
  • Can't run the application even after these steps.

The last item is due to the missing .dlls. I reckon ogreupdatger.bat has something to do with it? Not sure if it is supposed to be run manually or by some magic in the solution.

The document I'm following is named Converted.htm in the topic you linked to.

I'm planning on submitting an updated version as soon as I get everything running (unless I've been reading the wrong document - then I'll enter a shame induced silence).

Regards

nullmind

Ogre is for the OGRE Engine at www.ogre3d.org. You have to download it and compile it after that you set the OGRE variable to the root directory. Then having both Xenocide variable pointing to Xenocide root and the Ogre to Xenocide Root you are done...

Greetings

Red Knight

As per the instructions I downloaded and compiled ogre, and set %OGRE% to the ....\ogrenew directory.

Checked out the xenocide modules, and set the %XENOCIDE% variable to the dir where I checked out the code. (I checked out all code anew tonight.)

The project refused to compile since variables Xenocide and Ogre where not set. I assumed that these should have corresponding values, i.e. Xenocide has the same value as %XENOCIDE%, and %OGRE% == Ogre.

Question 1: Is this assumption correct?

After this the project compile, but fails to link (paqfiles):

paqfiles error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Utility::AdvancedRuntimeException::AdvancedRuntimeException(char const *)" (??0AdvancedRuntimeException@Utility@@QAE@PBD@Z)

among numerours other that look like it.

By your last post, am I to understand that variables %XENOCIDE% == Xenocide == Ogre? Does seem a bit superfluous, but I tried it anyway; as suspected this added more compile errors (ogre.h not found).

Question 2: How are the built application expected to find ogremain.dll et al? These do not exist at all in the Xenocide directory structure.

As per the instructions I downloaded and compiled ogre, and set %OGRE% to the ....\ogrenew directory.

Checked out the xenocide modules, and set the %XENOCIDE% variable to the dir where I checked out the code. (I checked out all code anew tonight.)

The project refused to compile since variables Xenocide and Ogre where not set. I assumed that these should have corresponding values, i.e. Xenocide has the same value as %XENOCIDE%, and %OGRE% == Ogre.

Question 1: Is this assumption correct?

I have no idea why XENOCIDE and OGRE are not being recognized as Xenocide and Ogre... But the two are the same thing, and they should each correspond to the same directories.

<!--QuoteEBegin-->paqfiles error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Utility::AdvancedRuntimeException::AdvancedRuntimeException(char const *)" (??0AdvancedRuntimeException@Utility@@QAE@PBD@Z)<!--QuoteEBegin-->

Right now, the PAQFiles project is being worked on, and it might not compile. Exio82 might know more about this side.

By your last post, am I to understand that variables %XENOCIDE% == Xenocide == Ogre? Does seem a bit superfluous, but I tried it anyway; as suspected this added more compile errors (ogre.h not found).

Question 2: How are the built application expected to find ogremain.dll et al? These do not exist at all in the Xenocide directory structure.

%XENOCIDE% == Xenocide

and

%OGRE% == Ogre

They should be recognized as the same, but I don't know why it's not doing it for you. Did you set XENOCIDE to the Xenocide code directory, and OGRE to OgreMain?

Make sure you have:

\OgreNew\OgreMain\include

\OgreNew\Dependencies\include

in the Include section of the Tools - Options - Projects - Directories dialog, and

\OgreNew\OgreMain\lib\Configuration

\OgreNew\Dependencies\lib\Configuration

where Configuration is either debug or release depending on what you want. The latter I think we're missing in the documentation.

Hope this helps.

Hymie

<!--QuoteEBegin-->paqfiles error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Utility::AdvancedRuntimeException::AdvancedRuntimeException(char const *)" (??0AdvancedRuntimeException@Utility@@QAE@PBD@Z)<!--QuoteEBegin-->

Ahh... I remembered the reason for this one. The project files in the devpack are not up to date, and don't include some .cpp files for the PAQFiles project.

Make sure the following .cpp files are in the PAQFiles project:

AddtoArchiveVisitor.cpp

AdvancedRuntimeException.cpp

PAQExceptions.cpp

progressindicator.cpp

With those, you'll probably be able to compile.

Hymie

Thank you for your help, Hymie.

Still get the same error whenever I try to start xenoui (OgreMain.dll not found). Guess I'd better read up on how C++ finds its libraries in Windows, I'm more used to UNIX.

Sadly it seems that I wont have much time the coming months to continue trying to compile and contribute to this project.

I wish you all good luck, and hope to see something playable in the near future.

Thank you for your help, Hymie.

Still get the same error whenever I try to start xenoui (OgreMain.dll not found). Guess I'd better read up on how C++ finds its libraries in Windows, I'm more used to UNIX.

OgreMain.dll needs to be in the same directory as xenoui, or in a %PATH% directory, otherwise it won't be found. As currently setup, the Xenocide project doesn't automatically copy the Ogre libraries to the proper places. And my instructions currently only cover up to compilation, not setting the proper directory structure to run Xenocide. Maybe that'll be worked on later...

Hymie

In a couple of days I will see if I can cleanup a Java Application I have done to set the enviromental variables directly from a file before open VC.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

• 2 weeks later...

Good day.

I've got version of Xenocide from CVS, but there are some things I'm confused with. Can you help me?

I've used anonymous access to

:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/xenocide

and downloaded all modules, which are shown via Web-interface.

1. All modules seems to be checked in 3-6 mounths ago last time. Is it wrong version/server or there is no development activity?

2. Why where are no lib, docs and include directories in devpack.net2003 module? I've taken them from devpack.net2003.zip but it's not very good - may somebody check in these files to CVS, to have them in one place?

3. I've build project in Debug mode successfully, but Release doesn't build. This is due missing of Include and Lib paths for Release build project settings. Is it possible to fix them?

4. I need to know how built files and resources should be deployed. Is there are any instructions with directory tree structure description?

5. Module xenoengine seems do not participate in build process. Is it ok? It's not in solution, but in CVS. Is it depricated?

6. I've started xenocide.exe. It seems VERY different from alpha 4. There is no Earch sphere (but some sort of "tornado") on the screen. No ufopedia or options menu works - it's regression. Is it known issue?

7. I've missed any comments what was done, what should work and what to do. Me and Shadow_7 may start testing and some development right now, but... we are disapointed what is what. Where up-to-date development documentation can be found? The one in "Library" is dated with 2003-year. It seems, there are too many changes from that moment.

I can solve most of problems with CVS by me. But I'll need write access to CVS, and (most important!) undestanding of current situation and why it's so as it is.

Thank you.

Guest Guest
Something strange. There are lib, include and doc sub-modules in devpack.net2003 module seen via Web-interface to CVS, but I cann't check them out. TortoiseCVS client checks out only bin and compiler folders. What could be wrong? :huh?:

PC Wizard, Alpha 4 was using a different graphics engine, we had started porting it to Ogre, all recent code from Centurion hadnt made it into the CVS yet, so there is no active development shown.

Guest: You have to download the devpack.net2003 from the main site to complement it too cause we took the binaries out from CVS.

Greetings

Red Knight

I was trying to to follow the instructions to get a development environment set up.

Sorry, this URL leads to an errormessage:

>>The error returned was:

>>Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

Maybe someone can move such instructions to a more permanent address ?

--HaJo

>>Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

--HaJo

this thread is located in the workshop, which is visible only to full project members/recruits.

--HaJo

Post in the Lobby, Recruitment Center stating you'd like to get access to the instructions and we'll promote you. No strings attached :)