XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Enemy Unknown (ce) Et Version 28/03/2005

max

max, great work! Oh, how I hated producing one item and selling it manually, then producing another and so on!

Also, is it possible to add one more feature to ET? The way the game handles clips has always bugged me; while a clip with 1 shot left shouldn't show up again as a full clip like in the unpatched versions neither should a 34-shot Heavy Plasma clip vanish in to nothingness because one shot has been used.

So, is it possible to have the game determine what clips you get by adding up the shots remaining for each clip type, and dividing by the number of shots in a clip? (Rounding down, I guess; that doesn't really matter so much.) This would probably be pretty complicated, but it would be nice to not have the aliens waste a whole plasma clip you could have had by firing a single shot.

I must absolutely beg for this feature to be added. Please! :master:

There was a bug mentioned somewhere here which I dislike really dislike: Scrolling with the mouse in battles by moving it to the right or bottom stucks the mouse pointer there for a short time resulting in scrolling too far. If I wasn't that lazy I'd always use your work for the geoscape but for the battles would return to the normal .exe.

And one more bug I just discouvered: Flying objects in the geoscape view sometimes behave strange. They suddenly jump from one point to another (but not very far). When this happens there are two more effects appearing: If I want to click a UFO or one of my ships, I need to click some distance away from it, about the same distance the UFOs begin to jump. And when I scroll the earth around sometimes there are landmasses added that don't exist and when scrolling further they disappear.

Edited by Hamato

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

the clip waste thing is definitely something I'll try add.

The black borders are just padding, unless the registry option is set to 640x400 there will be unused space. The 1024x768 has a 320x200 x3 enlargement (960x600) not very nice, but it doesnt bother me:)

Guess I still havent got the registry working very well?

I'll release what I have been working on for myself in a few weeks, there is an optional alternative damage system, armour gets used before the unit takes damage and there is logarithmic scalling for damage. (armour is pistol proof etc.)

Hamato, that latency problem would be caused by the geoscsape patch. didn't think of that and havent really noticed that problem while playing.

Hi,

the clip waste thing is definitely something I'll try add.

The black borders are just padding, unless the registry option is set to 640x400 there will be unused space. The 1024x768 has a 320x200 x3 enlargement (960x600)  not very nice, but it doesnt bother me:)

Guess I still havent got the registry working very well?

I'll release what I have been working on for myself in a few weeks, there is an optional alternative damage system, armour gets used before the unit takes damage and there is logarithmic scalling for damage. (armour is pistol proof etc.)

Hamato, that latency problem would be caused by the geoscsape patch. didn't think of that and havent really noticed that problem while playing.

Keep up the good work!

I'm getting a weird score at the end of January. I'm posting it to see if you can find the problem UFO Defense is having, though hopefully it won't have too much effect on my game or any others like it; despite the bad monthly rating, the funding countries are all still happy.

Note that this save has had its soldiers edited; it could be my editor (ClarkWehr) messed something up rather than the program.

Well, it seems like I got the exact opposite. My score is impossible high but all funding countries reduced their fundings due to my oh-so-terrible performance (which was in fact ok, I'd say. At least positive.)

http://xs36.xs.to/pics/05271/score.jpg.xs.jpg

I'll post my save, too. Maybe it helps.

Edit: Maybe I should add, that I don't use any game altering programs, only this ET version and moks alien voices patch.

Game_1.zip

Edited by Hamato

i downloaded this patch and ran it. i was just wondering if its possible to get this patch without the clock change and also after i intalled this patch. when i run the game at the bottom of the play screen there is about a 640x150 box of video that is very garbled and turns green, black, and blue and no graphics show up in it. also when i try to run the game with the 1024x768 the whole screen gets garbled you can still see the game screen but it jumps from showing the game to going black, green, and blue again, also when set to 1024x768 the cursor movement is very choppy and slow. do i just have to adjust my graphics card or is there a different problem? and if possible could you make the patch without the edited clock speed?

:ar15:

:uzi2: :master:

Edited by Arkhaine

Proximity and Normal grenades no longer work as normal.

Normal grenades explode at the end of the turn no matter what fuse you set, as do proximity - regardless of wether or not there is someone around.

This patch is only meant to be used with the Collector's Edition version, BTW.

It also appears to be very buggy - I've actually stopped using it for that reason... as I said earlier, several mutons VANISHED whilst inside a Medium Scout.

I've using the CE.

Also, I've noticed that the invader ships land on cities, but I don't get a terror mission any more, which means I can just attack the landed saucer like normal. [which, whilst nice as it means I don't have to fight in a sodding city, it not how it should be :/]

If it wasn't for the slow down jobbie, I wouldn't really use this patch :/

• 2 weeks later...

The patch works great, max! Haven't encountered any bugs first month of the game. =b

Oh, the registry doesn't work, though. I've even written the .reg file into REGEDIT4 format, so I could import it at all, then I checked the values, but the game seems to ignore them.

And one little thing about idle engineers speeding up base construction: it is possible to cheat by making an amount of engineers idle in the last 5 seconds of the day, and reassign them back on new day. Not that I do that, but it is a system that works wrong.

Found a bug - I think. I'm playing on superhuman. I'm in second month, about to engage the second UFO. The first one was a medium scout, had 8 sectoids. All fine there. But I played the second mission (a large scout) 3-times already, and I always got 7 or 8 sectoids. It seems the game reverted to lower difficulty, since I'm used to getting 11-13 sectoids on a large scout. That would be normal for superhuman difficulty, now wouldn't it?

11-13? and perhaps ones that make it 11-13 died in the crash, but 11-13 sectoids sounds very high for a large scout, it should be around 8-9... i don't think there are enough spawn points for that many

Nope. I'm 100% positive I got 12 living sectoids on a landed large scout mission (several times), and 99% positive I once got 13. Note that I've only played the game on superhuman once, and restarted before finishing too, so this is my second game. That's why I'm not 100% sure about 13 sectoids, since I only got them once lately and I tend to forget fast, but I still remember having 13 listed on the final screen. Oh, and I never down UFOs. Why pay lease for the interceptors if you can simply follow the activity graphs and ambush every UFO when it lands? I didn't fire a single shot on a UFO in my superhuman games, except for destroying one or two small scouts in the first game. I do miss the smoking UFO wreckages, though, in my old days I played without the graphs and shot down every UFO I saw :doh:

Im using windows xp, gold edition CE.

Bug:

During a base defence, I stunned some floaters with a rod.

During the battle, some regained conciousness and got up.. Invisible.

You could still target and kill them, you just had to cursor them.

Bug:

If you move scientists from base A to B (salary dodge trick),

then move some back, base A has negative scientists.

Then, Base A can research up to the lab limit with no scientists.

During a base defence, I stunned some floaters with a rod.During the battle, some regained conciousness and got up.. Invisible.
Happened to me as well with a sectoid leader. Save and reload on the spot, the alien will become visible.
If you move scientists from base A to B (salary dodge trick) then move some back, base A has negative scientists.
I think that transfer 'trick', or a 'cheat' as I call it, should be fixed, too.

Well the invis bug is a standard thing for me now.

Just had a second base defence v floaters.

Stunrod them, they appear to go down but actually still stand there invisible.

If you stun the invis form, they appear to go down, but actually are still there, now, with the original weapon in hand, ready to reaction-shoot.

You CAN shoot this form by 'targeting thru' with a sniper.

It wont say 'no line of sight' even if the shot path must go exactly thru that square.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this bug is the patch or xcom util but:

Diagonal corner walls of the avenger/lightning can be shot thru by the aliens, sometimes by your soldiers on reaction.

Aliens can throw grenades thru the diagonals also.

The craft exit has a 'magic screen' that you can move and see thru but stops all enemy fire.

The diagonal walls of the lightning can be walked thru by your soldiers.

thats always been in the game, doesn't matter what version you have(about the avenger)

its because the developers made mistakes while making the maps, a lot of their maps have mistakes and errors that mess then up a little bit

all walls of the lightning should be physically transparent as well, meaning you can walk and shoot through them

thats always been in the game, doesn't matter what version you have(about the avenger)

its because the developers made mistakes while making the maps, a lot of their maps have mistakes and errors that mess then up a little bit

all walls of the lightning should be physically transparent as well, meaning you can walk and shoot through them

Yuu're right about the Lightning (how could you get out if the walls were solid?), but wrong about the Avenger. I'm playing X-COM CE, and when I don't use Xcomutil there is no transparent screen covering the Avenger's exit. The screen seems to be a feature of the new ship maps used by Xcomutil. You could use the procedure I mentioned in the Xcomutil forum if the screen bothers you, since it restores all the ships to their original configuration.

As for shooting through the Avenger's diagonals, I haven't encountered this bug, so I don't know if its normally in X-COM, or caused by Et or Xcomutil.

Well, i do know that you can walk through the walls without adding Xcomutil or anything else, i've done it before

i never knew if that was a mistake or on purpose, but i'll get out mapview and look at it some day

To USER6560:

"Found a bug - I think. I'm playing on superhuman... "

"...It seems the game reverted to lower difficulty, since I'm used to getting 11-13 sectoids on a large scout. That would be normal for superhuman difficulty, now wouldn't it?"

I think you've found one of the "origional" bugs Microprose missed/ignored.

A long time ago one of the programers said that in one of the XCom games they tried to set up difficulty levels, but their attemps were too buggy to be stable and so the game often "reset" the dificulty level.

Nobody noticed this when playing so nobody complained and because of that nobody tried to fix it! :wacko:

Bug:

If you move scientists from base A to B (salary dodge trick),

then move some back, base A has negative scientists.

Then, Base A can research up to the lab limit with no scientists.

OMG This is a game killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I transfer people to Base B, I can't transfer them back or Base A gets a negative number of workers, and then once you start a new project, the ones transferred from Base B actually never get added in to the total PLUS they actually get subtracted from what is already at Base A! What the heck is that!?

It's like they show up back at Base A per the transfer order, but instead of being added, they show up as a subtraction. Plus, when transferring, I have noticed that the number at the other base is not being reflected properly, if at all.

PLEASE, PLEASE look into this. Major game stoppers for me.

Edited by lokiju

• 2 months later...
details are included in the zip.

Everytime I download the file I either get:

Winrar: Unexpected End of File.

Winzip: Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive.

ufoeuet_2005_03_28.zip 269 KB (276,118 Bytes)

Disabled my Antivirus and tested other downloads (from other sites, i can't seem to download any valid Zip files from this site)

• 2 weeks later...

From technical point of view, it's pretty simple. The library (dll) doesn't need any changes, all that needs to be done is a modification of executable. It should realize the following tasks:

1. On initialization, load mp3play.dll and get an address of function mp3play.

2. When game wants to start playing music, call mp3play with one argument - address of the track name. If it returns 0, call original music code (it means, that none valid mp3 was found), otherwise don't call original music code.

3. When game wants to stop playing music, call mp3play with argument equal to zero.

I could do it (when I find some free time, damn work:), but I think it would be much better if max would do that:))) (you know, it would be 'official' release then).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Flowbar_*
Patch probably is good, but I cant try myself because all the time I try to download it, the file is corrupted. Sad.

So why they don't fix this problem!?

I downloaded from the link in the first post of this thread and it works fine.

Proximity grenades seem bugged, though. They sometimes go off after 0 or more turns, leaving a smoke cloud. This is not good if it's outside the UFO entrance. I don't use proxies much, but now I really try to save my soldiers, so I use them a lot. Is this normal for ordinary Xcom/EU?

Used WinZip, WinRAR and tried to use GZip yet nothing works, first error says 'unexpected end or archive' when WinRAR opens, then when I try to extract it, 'The archive is either in unknown format or damaged'

Any help anyone???

Edit: Used WinRAR to repair archive, still doesnt work, 'CRC failed in UFO Defense.exe . the file is corrupt.'

Edited by Sharp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Will Wagner
Used WinZip, WinRAR and tried to use GZip yet nothing works, first error says 'unexpected end or archive' when WinRAR opens, then when I try to extract it, 'The archive is either in unknown format or damaged'

Any help anyone???

Edit: Used WinRAR to repair archive, still doesnt work, 'CRC failed in UFO Defense.exe . the file is corrupt.'

After years of waiting for X-Com, looking for it on EBay or for download, I finally feel like I'm almost able to play it like I remember, except the fact that I can't download anything from this board. Any idea why?

Erm, this is a download for a patch, not a game. To download a game go to EDIT: ********

And mabye try registering to download stuff from here.

Edit: Must not post linkys, even though UFO:EU is abandonware :P

Edited by Sharp

• 3 weeks later...

I am not familiar with any bugs in the CE addition of the game, but I do have a Geforce Nvidia FX5200 card. The drivers I was using, would not allow the game to run correctly.

I switched and downloaded older drivers (from 61.76 version back down to the 45.23 version) then the game started to run fine. Before it was in some weird mode of 720 x 400 or something, and the game would never show or play correctly -- double (two) images. Downloading the older drivers let the game run in the CE addition correctly.

Running the game in Windows 98, although the Geoscape is fast, I still can play it, and if I need some compression program other than PKZip Windows older version, then I may consider looking around to download the patch, until I get to the part where it may crash with the medics or something whatever it is.

Don't know, as I never seem to have enough time units to actually play this game.

Apolcalpyse though seems to always run better, but I still use turn-based in the missions witht that game instead of real-time.

And for the first two -- turn off DirectDraw to play those two.

Thanks for the info, will see in the future, if I need the fix for the medics.

Perhaps, using older drivers to play the game on newer computers may help the most -- maybe not, if the bug is in the game.

However, do not expect to use newer Nvidia drivers with the first two games, as they will not work and make the game -- funky.

Back to playing UFO Defense as everything has been working fine, at least for now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Barren Soul
not sure if max is working on this any more or not, but for some reason my interceptors are going about 10x slower than they were before trying that patched exe, UFOs have no problem out running them, let alone the fact that the plane is usually lucky to get 3 pixels away from the base before the UFO is out of range.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Well, this thread seems quiet for quite some time, so might be a shot in the dark. Any word on whether the grenade primer time and proximity grenade will be fixed in this mod?

The grenade primer is no big deal because it would just have a short fuse like a real grenade, but it would be nice to be able to use proximity grenade to lay traps. I picked up this game again recently and found this mod to be most compatible in terms of speed on both geoscape and battlescape, so would be nice to see this feature fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest
thx, just got the CE-version of this great old game to run on windows xp thx to this patch, previously i had a problem with my monitor not being able to show the whole picture, with the top or the lower portition chopped.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey your patch worked great. iv got a downloaded copy of ufo ce and it fixed the clock and the game hasnt crashed since. but for sum reason there is a blank space on the bottom and right side and the pointer sticks there a little. also the game skips slightly after an intercept and such, kind of splitting earth in two briefly. any help? My bad its gold not ce. Edited by NeoGothic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, managed to Download UFO gold edtion (my last version became corrupted due to an error i made on my PC)

Anyway. I downloaded it but I still can't get the screen to show up properly, it appears messed up, that it can't fit within the resoultion space given.

Here's the main folder of ufo gold

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/koriandr-star/untitled.jpg

I can't see anything missing (and the quick note txt is just a little doodle in what needs sorting out once i can get the image problem corrected) from the download, so what so i need to do to keep the game within the screen resoultion and allow me to see the game clearly when played?

• 1 month later...

I have run into a bug with grafics. All versions are affected the same.

I have the collector's edition.

I have 3 alien spacecraft landed at the same location all green.

I land a skyranger at this spot with orders to intercept only one

of the 3 alien spacecraft. I have 2 more skyrangers enroute with orders

to intercept the other 2 alien spacecraft.

Again all 3 are at the same location on the ground.

But my skyrangers are coming in trail formation so as to arrive

one at a time. My first skyranger lands and a ground combat begins.

But the screen is garbled. I move the mouse around and I get many

ghosting trails on the screen with the save game screen overlay open

over the ground scape. And my skyranger is overlaid on top of the savegame

sceen. I can move stuff and target enemies but they are underneath the save game screen

overlay and are not vissable until I spot an alien then I can click on the alien 1 button

and the curser jumps to the alien location and targets him and he suddenly appears

on top of the save game overlay. during all of this none of the ground scape is visable

nor any enemy positions. But the game functions behind the save game overlay.

With tons of ghost trails cluttering the screen from every curser movement.

Has anyone encountered this before and is there a fix for it?

I had this error before I downloaded this patch.

After I downloaded this patch and restarted the game and loaded my save game

I ran into the same grafic glitch. Any ideas?