XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Diy Gauss Pistol

and moi.

How many batterys does that thing use????? 5????

http://members.optushome.com.au/dbsite1/www.pskovinfo.ru/coilgun/P003.jpg

Edited by mikker

• 6 months later...

Yeah, but the site is now viewable. That's a big improvement from months ago, when the site was down.

--Edit: Here's a pic, to salivate your taste--

workbench.jpg

Edited by Robo Dojo 58

Sure. We have the technology. It says on the page that it can only shoot at a muzzle velocity of 33m/s. That's about... 118KPH./54MPH

Okay, so you could probably THROW a bullet faster, or drive faster than it with ease... but it's still neat. It does have a long ways to go, though.

Yup. Eventually, we will have railguns that can shoot through walls (and aliens.) I'm confident that in my lifetime we* will have weapons like that.

Yes. We will call them Gauss weapons, and they'll save our butts in the impending second Alien War...

:uzzi: :alienmad:

Hey, this gauss pistol uses bullets! That's why I'm against giving gauss weapons infinite ammo, with XComUtil. Bigger clips, maybe... but not infinite.

Sure. We have the technology. It says on the page that it can only shoot at a muzzle velocity of 33m/s. That's about... 118KPH./54MPH

Okay, so you could probably THROW a bullet faster, or drive faster than it with ease... but it's still neat. It does have a long ways to go, though.

Can you throw a bullet throw a tin can?By the way, do you think it can work underwater like in the game?

http://www.pskovinfo.ru/coilgun/P009.jpg

Edited by Deathskull

Baseball pitchers can easily throw a ball up to 80-90MPH. That tin can would be crushed.

Did I notice, empty space in that gun? Where there's empty space, there's always room for more power. :devillaugh:

Baseball pitchers can easily throw a ball up to 80-90MPH. That tin can would be crushed.

Not if they throw bullets instead of baseballs. The weight difference would be the key here.

btw did you know about current weapons capabilities??

If you live in the UK did you see that BBC2 programme with Clarkson on?? :naughty:

1 MILLION BULLETS A MINUTE!!!!!

hmm, six please :D

They had a demonstration of a guy with a laptop using about 10 hi-tech guns and RPGs. He wiped out an ENTIRE ARMY of men :D :naughty:

Molly's Fletcher (William Gibson character) is a gauss weapon. It fires "clouds" of flechettes (as well as toxic darts and various other things)

IIRC the "million round a minute" gun uses small rounds and does damage by sheer numbers

I believe armys would use it already if it would be that effective :stupid:

I believe armys would use it already if it would be that effective.

Hopefully. You see, the generals in the army (especially Navy) like to stick to tradition. During WWII, the US abandoned bronze* for warship construction, after the discovery of Stainless Steel. Years later, we find out that Stainless Steel corrodes like a bastard in water. You'd think that you put sugar in the water, it corrodes so bad. Bronze doesn't corrode. Heck, we've found bronze statues under water over 2000 years old! :o Still good as new. Hear anything like that about the Titanic? :whatwhat: Also, bronze is much harder, and stronger than stainless steel. 2X as strong, higher temps, with a very wide range of alloys, if done right. Still, because of the proud navy tradition, and a lack of metallurgical education**, our ships are loaded with Stainless Steel. The "Bronze" navy plaques are even made of plastic.

It's a pretty wierd thing, considering that the Statue of Liberty is made from bronze. I've never seen bronze used for bridges, either. Sad...

The Navy is the most subborn (1,000 years of proud tradition), followed by the Army(only a few hundred). The Airforce is always looking for good stuff. That's why they run the Stargate program. :) Please note, that I'm talking about the US.

*Do not confuse golden bronze with its yellow-bellied, brother, brass, which you can find at Home-Depot. If it doesn't look like a mix of gold and/or pale copper, you've been jipped.

**I got my education after cleaning up a bronze workshop. The guy does bronze for a living, so he knows what he's talking about.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. ^_^ back on to the gauss rifle topic...

Okay, so it might be lethal, but not practical.

And expensive, too. Good batteries aren't cheap. And the supercapacitors that it'll need, use Aerogel. Aerogel is sold by the cc^3, and could go for $thousands US.

So, I guess a gauss rifle would be 100 times more expensive than a fully auto. And a lot less lethal. If it can fire underwater, better than harpoons or torpedoes, I'd still want it.

I believe armys would use it already if it would be that effective  :stupid:

gauss weapons are still in the flakey experimental stage. Do a google for railgun (similarish principal). There's a couple of sites where physics students violate uni lab gear making up home made launchers.

The million a minute gun is an caseless electrochemical gun that uses an electric charge to ignite the propellent between projectiles. It can fire mortars and all kinds of things... they have a pistol too. It fires real bullets and does damage not because of the number of shots, but because it does fire real bullets. They don't actually fire a million bullets... during the tests they fired smaller bursts of three or something but it all sounded like a single shot.

• 3 weeks later...
About rail guns... We have the technology to build them efficiantly. There was a idea few years back about how the navy wanted to place rail guns in place of the main guns. effectivly you can shoot down air planes with an 18 inch gun... in one shot... I do not know what happened to that idea though...

• 3 months later...

elctro magnetic guns dont necciserily need to use rail gun principles

you could make an electro magnet powered gun with no recoil= nofailures

and i think the UK will get some ground breaking new weapon some day soon (law of averages on who gets the latest techs first= were due one)

About rail guns...  We have the technology to build them efficiantly.  There was a idea few years back about how the navy wanted to place rail guns in place of the main guns.  effectivly you can shoot down air planes with an 18 inch gun...  in one shot... I do not know what happened to that idea though...

Exactly.. Navy planned for it, but realized the power demands for an effective Railgun, not to mention the practicality of using them compared to missile, emerging laser, and standard cannon weapon systems isn't really all that great.. all three systems outperform the current prototype naval-grade rail guns in any of the capacities for which it could be used (anti-aircraft, anti-missile, anti-naval).

They don't actually fire a million bullets... during the tests they fired smaller bursts of three or something but it all sounded like a single shot.

Hmm.. that sounds familiar..

The Heckler & Koch G11 Assault Rifle (I personally designate it as a 'Pulse Rifle' due to the fact that it's firing method is like a 'Pulse' of projectiles in a split-second) does that.

There's also their MP7 PDW, which uses about the same-sized ammunition. It also outperforms the FN P90 with respect to armor piercing due to the smaller ammunition. (don't know about it's firing nature.. probably just standard SMG capabilities for the most part)

The million rounds per minute is a number attached to metal storm technology. It is an electro-chemical gun that uses electronic pulses to ignite the propellant of it's rounds... and therefore uses no moving parts.

There's a difference between rate of fire and cyclic rate.. the cyclic rate of an ak-47 is 700rpm. The rate of fire encorperates reloading time and is a much smaller number. Ergo, the million rpm of metal storm is a cyclic rate.

Note that the technology is not a railgun or a coilgun and has nothing to do with magnetism or electric fields. There has been a pistol developed using the technology but the developers are focussing on an indirect fire mortar type weapon that dumps thousands of explosive charges into an area either automatically or by a soldier. They call it an 'area denial' weapon, or some such thing.

edit: Gauss guns are what they call coil gun and use solonoids(sic) to propel metal objects. Railguns use very high electronic pulses which travel down a rail, producing impulse in some very complex way. From what I have read, the gauss guns are primitive in comparison.

Edited by fux0r666

why don't you say MASS DRIVER! Also, the million rounds thing is never going to be used. They fire it for a couple milliseconds to get the results they want. And yes, tehre are rail guns. i have seen pictures of it and what it can do. But even a small one needs something like a car battery to power it

The Million a second gun aka 'Hive' cartridge is very useful actually. It is planned to be used by special forces. It also fires nades as well as bullets in a spread pattern. It can easily take out a large unarmoured convoy no problem at all.