XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Map Edition Tools

nachtwolf

Hello all,

While we still all await a replacement for the .map files, I decided to fill in the link between lua tilesets and .map files by making a web-based map editor.

This map editor works in mozilla firefox (won't in Internet explorer, it uses transparent PNGs) and uses the high tech javascript and copy paste.

All you need is mozilla firefox for the tilemaker and mapmaker and an hex editor (I recommend XVI32) for loading/saving your maps.

It's also fully compatible with my tileset editor, which makes the perfect lua to be loaded in the map editor.

Tilemaker is current at version 2.1, version 2.2 is coming.

Mapmaker is current at version 1.0.

I included the tilemaker for your convenience, unfortunately the forums forbids file upload for an obscure reason so you can get the lastest version of both editors on the bugtracker !

Get the TILEMAKER and MAPMAKER !!!

tilemaker_v2.2.zip

mapmaker_v2.0.zip

Edited by nachtwolf

Shiny. But the first screenshot is corrupted a bit. :(

Was a copy

It looks good.

We can add some subdirectory for a map editor and other tools and include it into game distribution. Anyway, it would be a good idea to have the sources of map/tileset editor committed to the repository just in order to have backups and not to lose all the work on HDD crash or some other accident. Currently we have some supplementary lua scripts in 'script' subdirectory. Tileset and map editor could be added there. Also maybe it is better to rename directory to some other name like 'tools'.

so is this the map editor and the tilemaker? or just the one?

Both will be a different tool.

I only included the tileset editor since the mapmaker is not done yet (loading and refreshing needs work). So far I been able to make a few new maps (swamp eh Sporb :)), edit them and save them.

I could link them eventually.

Interesting though, you can update map size during edits? Might be useful if you start making one area, then decide to turn it into one big preset map. :)

Actually it resets but you are right about that behavior. I should be able to iron that out because I agree it's important. Just not done yet.

But, there would have to be some control about which corner gets the current work, or which part is kept if you lower the size, that's the difficult part.

I'll start with a working version with the basics, then I'll try to implement the file dialog (instead of copy-paste) then I'll add features.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok everyone, version 1.0 of the mapmaker is done.

Everything is covered up in a basic fashion, from saving to loading and editing modes.

It's strongly recommended to read the help.

If you have bugs to report or feature suggestions which are not listed under the Issues in the help, feel free to email or msn me. That's valid with both editors.

merc_graphics[#at#]hotmail[#dot#]com

Get them at the bugtracker !!!

• 7 months later...

Version 2.0 of the mapmaker and 2.2 of the tilemaker are now available!

Mapmaker : Added a square tool, lua map support, 16 levels supported.

:construction:

Tilemaker : no lag handling huge sets, no tile limit, added compass.

Get them at the bugtracker (or top of this post)

Edited by nachtwolf

• 2 years later...

Hi Nachtwolf im using your tools. They work fine only i cant create objects higher than 4 stories. I can view 16 levels but cant create over level 4. Im using the mapmaker v1.0. i cant find a link to mapmaker v2.0 which has the possibilities quoted here. Does the 2.0 version also have the possibility to make a full 6x6 premade map? tilemaker 2.2 also i cant find. im using 2.1

so far i got this (its still limited because the tileset artwork creation takes a long long time.

post-20366-1256865581.png

Edited by FUEL

• 1 year later...

The bugtracker moved from ufo2000.xcomufo.com to ufo2000.net, so here is the updated link: Get them at the bugtracker

• 3 months later...
what would i put for the extension path on linux?

I assumed that you were talking about Map Maker, so I tried to use it (version 2.0) on Linux. There is an error in code and the tool does not work on Linux, whichever path you will put in "Current Extension path" field.

I solved that error, you can take corrected mapmaker.html file from the bugtracker's issue #630.

In my Ubuntu linux where my account is named "fomka" I put the following into the extension path

/home/fomka/ufo2000/UFO2000 Beta 0.9.1142/extensions/terrain-dawn-city

The corrected Map Maker works then.