XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Ufo2000 Map Depot

Violazr

There is now an official UFO2000 Map Depot.
It is a website concieved to be the #1 up-to-date resource and publishing place for all user made terrains:

[url="http://area51.xcomufo.com/depot2.htm"]http://area51.xcomufo.com/depot2.htm[/url]

PUBLISHING NEW MAPS

From now on, when you have a terrain finished, post/email the link and I'll put it up.
You can also attach or even send the file if you don't have any webspace.

Make it a ZIP file to be extracted to /newmaps (or the UFO2000 folder if needed), with your .map files placed in a [u]subdirectory[/u] of /newmaps. Don't forget the readme file.
You may also include a thumbnail (180x100 jpg) and a picture (540x300 jpg) for the site.

As a public UFO2000 site, we want to keep up a certain quality standard, though. So please only submit test-played terrains that are not obviously under construction.

TO ALL LISTED AUTHORS:

Please check the data of your terrains for errors and completeness.
Especially version numbers are missing, so please provide me with some that match the maps' state of development.
And if you want a different description for your map, just let me know.

TO EVERYBODY

Please check for any other errors and report them here.
E.g. whether the site looks right on your web browser - I just found out that the map entries aren't properly separated in the KDE Konqueror. Edited by Violazr

I noticed one flaw on the page Violazr...[b]Abyssion[/b] is the [u]author[/u] of "Cydonia Base" not [b]Exo2000[/b]. [b]Exo2000[/b] is making "Cydonia Base Complex".

Edit: Well Agarazium's Towers is finished until new tilesets come into place. I lost the map files for it and such so I will have to finish it later on. Edited by Kratos

[quote name='Violazr' date='Aug 8 2005, 04:08 AM']True... I'll correct it right away.

But please post such things in the map depot thread fro now on.
[right][post="127894"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Please refer me to move topics rather not to post in them. It will tell me to move future posts like mine into this thread.

New updates on their way:

- Alien Bases sorted out. The name and pic of the one listed used to be from Abyssion's version, while the map was JFarceur's ("Alien Base ++").

- Paintball Map V 1.0

- Several Links added

btw Hobbes - is there a possibility for me to get FTP access to the files myself?

[quote name='Violazr' date='Aug 11 2005, 05:15 AM']New updates on their way:

- Alien Bases sorted out. The name and pic of the one listed used to be from Abyssion's version, while the map was JFarceur's ("Alien Base ++").

- Paintball Map V 1.0

- Several Links added

btw Hobbes - is there a possibility for me to get FTP access to the files myself?
[right][post="128335"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You would have to use my account (and have access to the entire contents of the site) which might not be a good idea...

Well I think it would be :) but with you not really knowing me it's understandable.

But now that the site is finished so far, the current system should do - there aren't that many map releases, after all.

Btw, all unknown version numbers were set to educated guesses by me, shown in [i]italics[/i]. Complain if you want.

[b]Map Pack Problem[/b]

It seems that some terrains from the packs are not "the same" as the sinlge ones in multiplayer games. This is strange because I made the packs from the very downloads of the site. Anyway, it can be solved by downloading them separately. Edited by Violazr

Might be an idea, but I can't do that properly my puny HTML skills.
And to do this right, people would have to log in with a validated email etc.

OTOH such rating systems can be deceptive.
Take unfinished maps, for example - the version numbers show they are unfinished, still a good concept might get bad ratings because of that.
Likewise, maps that require different than usual tactics (eg the Crypt) might be dissed by people at first. Ie they didn't read the description, go in with snipers, get creamed in their first game, and blame it on the 'bad' map.

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Blitzen' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:15 PM']Umm, I made some great maps, but I can't load them with UFO2000??? Little help please. Also do I need to make a .lua and if so how? Thanks!
[right][post="142642"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes, you need a .lua.

If this is your first time, try editing an existing LUA file and renaming/editing as necessary.

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Dec 21 2005, 06:54 PM'][quote name='Blitzen' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:15 PM']Umm, I made some great maps, but I can't load them with UFO2000??? Little help please. Also do I need to make a .lua and if so how? Thanks!
[right][post="142642"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes, you need a .lua.

If this is your first time, try editing an existing LUA file and renaming/editing as necessary.
[right][post="142653"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Edit it with what?????

I'm no great shakes at programming so step by step? Please?

[quote name='Blitzen' date='Dec 22 2005, 01:21 AM']Edit it with what?????

I'm no great shakes at programming so step by step? Please?
[right][post="142656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Notepad'll do, and you don't need to be a genius. I've only really written one .lua and that was for a 60x60 setpiece map, so... :wink1:

• 1 month later...
If I got any new submissions, I would put them up, but there haven't been any so far.

My own map production has ceased too, for I'm rather tied up with other things at the moment. First I'd have to get back into U2K with all the new features and changed graphics, and see if I can still use the maps I started.

But if you have a map ready to be published, feel free to post it!

• 5 months later...

I've got some tools at the ready (first versions) if someone wants to try his skills at map editing with total control over his tilesets and maps.

Mapmaker and Tilemaker

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242025548

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is just a temporary problem, but the MapPack isn't available at the moment (2006-07-28, 01:10, CET).

And something strange I found at the page:

UFO2000 can support additional maps created by users. In order to use these maps you are required to have beta version 0.8.1031 or newer.

I thought current version is 0.7.1062? The one above hasn't been released, yet...

They are errors. Hopefully Hobbes will fix them soon.

Yes, hopefully. I'm a bit lazy, and it's quite better to have all the maps by doing one download, instead of klick your fingers wound. Another thing: Why is the plane-crash excluded?

BTW do you have a new avatar? Yesterday I thought it was that monochrome picture. :)

They are errors. Hopefully Hobbes will fix them soon.

Yes, hopefully. I'm a bit lazy, and it's quite better to have all the maps by doing one download, instead of klick your fingers wound. Another thing: Why is the plane-crash excluded?

BTW do you have a new avatar? Yesterday I thought it was that monochrome picture. :)

I'm not sure why it is excluded, maybe another error?

[offtopic]Yes, and this one is older. Now let's get back on topic, shall we? :) [/offtopic]

I'm not sure why it is excluded, maybe another error?

[offtopic]Yes, and this one is older. Now let's get back on topic, shall we? :) [/offtopic]

[offtopic]OK let's get back to the topic.[/offtopic]

ROFL

(Sorry, call me crazy :P )

I don't know if this is just a temporary problem, but the MapPack isn't available at the moment (2006-07-28, 01:10, CET).

And something strange I found at the page:

UFO2000 can support additional maps created by users. In order to use these maps you are required to have beta version 0.8.1031 or newer.

I thought current version is 0.7.1062? The one above hasn't been released, yet...

Both problems fixed. Thanks for the notice.

Plane Crash doesn't work on the betas because the code needs to be changed to fit the new format for terrains.

Btw, could anyone get some pictures of the Airfield, XBase and Warehouse terrains to post to the map depot?

• 8 months later...

hi,

i think i found two errors in two different maps:

beaches of normandy and paintfield.

the both have file names also with lower and upper case letters (for example. BOM1.pck and the like).

on non-windows operating systems, file names with different casing are different files, so every file name must be converted to lower case, and also the lua files must be corrected for both maps.

i attached the corrected lua files for clarity.

• 2 months later...