XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Laser Cannon

mikker

BREAKING NEWS!

Bettine Johnson here from Nivada Desert where we have the exceptional honor of showning the latest in anti-alien weaponry. This fanominal device that the military here like to call "the laser cannon", is a breakthrough in anti-alien power demonstartion. This wonderfull machine have helped alot of pilots in battles agenst the alien invasion, just here some of them!

Gary Thomson;

"I had 3 battleships on my tail in my little firestorm, when it hit me that i could try and use the laster cannon to shoot them down. If it wasn't for the laser cannon, we would never have captured an alien leader."

Helly McBeam;

"I wouldn't have survived if it wasn't because of this baby; i even called my newborn Laser C. McBeam because of its power"

X-com Commander Tommy

"The breakthrough of the laser weapons is going to help us greatly. I tried it myself a few times in one of our interceptors. I hit atleast 40 crafts, where over a third of them were alien ufos!"

Order now from your local X-com Manufactury for only 299.999$! And if you order now, you'll get a free interceptor on top of it for a mare extra 999.999$! Call now, 122.457.356 XCOM.

[/tv shop]

i don't know what i was thinking when i made this. But it seemed to have worked, if this isn't agressive, then i don't know what it is!

lascannon.jpg

Interesting shape, I think that can work. The angled front can be explained as having the mirrors/prisms/whatever that focus the light/energy into a tight beam.

What are the prongs out the back for? I see the mounting bracket on top like the other designs.

What are the prongs out the back for? I see the mounting bracket on top like the other designs.

For it to look diffrent from the other models i made. I have 3 diffrent rear ends, and this makes it look neat ^_^

unless of course there would be problems fitting it, then i'd remove them.

• 1 month later...

heres an opdate on the laser cannon. The changed the style for this one a tad, from lightweight to heavyweight. Some info on the laser (for CTD crew):

-fires a small but powerfull beam. The muzzle isn't bigger then the one on the heavy laser, but its like 200-250% the power, and its continius, meaning its not just a quick flash. Becouse its such a small beam though, it can't shoot THAT far. It will vanish after a medium distance. But it has a great chance of hitting the target, and it has a decent cooling system (as long as the plane is in flight, as the air goes through generators, that carries away the heat. Because normal laser weaponry also needs cooling the bigger it gets, its impossible to make something at this size for a ground assault weapon, unless it gets a heavy coolant system, which can only be made in an tank.)

lazerbuzz0r.JPG

Heh, i'll just start on the CTD, just for the heck of it. My fingers are CRIPLING!!!

BREAKING NEWS!

the leading russian eksperts from "Apollo Diamond Inc.", have agreed to almost freely help X-corps fighting aliens. On the end of the new laser cannons, will there now be issued diamond crystals to increase the power of the laserbeam tenfold! It is still continiual, so diamonds are acturly the only gem hard enough to be able to withstand that much temeprature, not to mention the high external powers doing flight. But apollos D-rated, IF diamonds (colorless, flewless, and purest) diamonds are strong enough to give os an adventage over the aliens.

"You might think that it could be possible to make personal armor out of diamonds, as they are so cheap to make. We tried it too, but i doubt we should try again. You see, diamonds are almost superconductors. And plasma is heat-based. Lucky we tried it on a Junior soldier, and not an officer..." ~Gjernal Ferr, head tester of technology.

Oh, info on Apollo Diamonds Inc, is here. Check the links section too.

laser_craftcannon.jpg

Edited by mikker

Regarding the laser cannon, what I meant about the translucent part was the center nozzle coming out the front, rather than the spikes around it. In fact I was curious why the laser cannon would have those spikes, I thought they were magnetic guides for propelling the plasma jet in the plasma weapons. It might look more unique to not have those spikes up front since the plasma has it, instead maybe the spikes could be towards the back like one of your laser cannon designs had, to be used more as heat sinks? Just some ideas.

Regarding the laser cannon, what I meant about the translucent part was the center nozzle coming out the front, rather than the spikes around it. In fact I was curious why the laser cannon would have those spikes, I thought they were magnetic guides for propelling the plasma jet in the plasma weapons. It might look more unique to not have those spikes up front since the plasma has it, instead maybe the spikes could be towards the back like one of your laser cannon designs had, to be used more as heat sinks? Just some ideas.

ok, now i'm really confused...?

You mean the entire nuzzle? Or something inside it?

:huh?:

hmmmm...yes....it does acturly do that...I'll see if i can change it. But i still want diamonds! :)

Here's the mutilated example. The yellow cone would be the translucent, clear part, with some sort of illuminating faces inside the weapon casting the light (in this yellow) out. The faces inside would just have a really high emmisive setting. The front prongs would be removed, and perhaps added to the back as heat sinks like Deimos mentioned a while back (didn't do that part in this screengrab). If you like, post here or send me the model so I can update the 3D viewer, and I can show you what I mean that way.

gun.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

zzzzz......oh....eh, goodmorning...whats the clock....oh my. I mean, what month is it? THAT was quite a party :D

Here, this is the latest laser model. I'll send it to you brenour.

laserpcannon2.jpg

Edited by mikker

• 1 year later...
Id say mabe make the laser cannon a bit more elongated? It looks very beefy... The Fusion me like :P

Well, I guess he meant phallic (notice the 2 "L"s :P), which means:

phal·lic  adj.

1. Of, relating to, or resembling a phallus.

2. Of or relating to the cult of the phallus as an embodiment of generative power: phallic worship.

3. Of or relating to the third stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, from about ages three to six, during which gratification is focused on sensations associated with the genital organs. The phallic stage is preceded by the anal stage and followed by the latency period.

And if you don't know what phallus means:
phal·lus  n. pl. phal·li (fl) or phal·lus·es

1. Anatomy.

1. The peanuts.

2. The sexually undifferentiated tissue in an embryo that becomes the peanuts or clitoris.

2. A representation of the peanuts and testes as an embodiment of generative power.

3. The immature peanuts considered in psychoanalysis as the libidinal object of infantile sexuality in the male.

[Late Latin, from Greek phallos. See bhel-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

Quite :OffTopic: , but I don't want this to remain unanswered :P

Edited by kafros

That's what phallic means? Wow, Penta you sure have a good imagination...

:Poke:

I'm gonna see what design I can cook up for the plasma cannon.

Phallic means peanuts-like.

Haha, I love that. That definition above is insane! Sexually differentiate peanut tissue. Haha.

Peanuts and testes... that sounds like a french dish.

Edited by fux0r666

That depends on when the next release is :P

All three lasers are uploaded and readdy for skinning. I don't know how far Shinzon is for those.

Edited by mikker

pistol is done and ready, shinzon has the rifle and I think fux hasthe cannon... Shinzon is working on the rifle.

• 3 months later...

OMG, WTF, yeah I know, ROFLOLAMAO (rolling on floor laughing out loud and my arse off).

Yes. I belive this is the finished piece. You heard me.

lasercannon2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

unwrapped it. Just for the heck of it.

The plasma is going to be a nightmare though :(

edit: won't let me upload. I'll try something else.

laser_cannon_unwrapped.rar

Edited by mikker

what do all of the jpgs represent? are some suposed to be for color and bump or are they for variety?

you see it? Cause it fails when I try to download it :P

Yeah, it's for vararity. I don't know what people prefer.

Yes.

The only problem I had, was that in order to connect the two halves, I had to stretch the lines in the middle a little (I don't know how it could turn that in the first place) - they didn't match up for some reason. Very little though.

Lots of seamens, that's because I lined it up to the edges, and the colour splashes out a bit.

lazcanzunwapz.JPG