#1 jpuk

jpuk

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:28 AM

[token_newbie_introduction] Hey all [/token_newbie_introduction]

Whilst aimlessly cruising the net I thought I'd do a search for an old game I used to play on my Amiga 600.....that's right XCOM: UFO Enemy Unknown.

I stumbled across this great community and was pleasantly surprised to see a loyal group of XCOMers still keeping an interest in a game that I adored whilst growing up. I was even more delighted to see a 2003 remake in the pipeline.

I was hoping to find a download of the old DOS game to no avail but I was nevertheless encouraged to find that XCOM CE will still work on Windows XP. I set out to hunt and gather a copy so I could relive my childhood and once more blast a sectoid with my Heavy Plasma.

I searched high and low with little success until I found out that my younger cousin actually had a copy of the game but in this age of 3D, multiple CD, online PC games he didn't like the look of it! Of course, rather than show him the light I snatched it off him, downloaded the XP fix and felt the good times rolling back.

Within a few battles it was as if I'd never left that wonderful world of mind probes, stun rods and those farm buildings with aliens hiding behind the corner.

Basically I just wanted to drop by and say thanks to all you guys that keep the game alive and who have made a 23 year old feel young again!

Already my girlfriend has said that she hates the game - something that until now was only reserved for Championship Manager. Thank you one and all. :beer:

#2 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:39 AM

Hehehe, women never like CM, I'm all like "Henry down the left, whips it over, oh Ljungberg with the bicycle, GOOOOAL" "*Sigh* Can't u play Doom"

Welcome, ave u got ne skills in programming or ne thing like that? Maybe u could help with summint, post ne skills u got, even if it's only creative writting here. AFAIK peeps are always lookin 4 more peeps 2 help.

#3 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:54 AM

Perhaps if you named your female soldiers after her, she might take it better... so long as all your conscious time is spent thinking of her she'll be happy IIRC, I haven't read my marriage handbook for a while, but the girlfriend handbook is just the shareware version. If only they made a FREEware version! :D I finally got my wife hooked on Diablo2 after she had a stressful day at work, killing monsters/her boss was fun and she still plays 2 years later. If I could only get her to play RTS with me...

#4 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:34 AM

In my experience Women love games that involve killing, but seem 2 shy away from the complicated games we all enjoy. Like Dead or Alive on X-Box. No one played it coz it is shite and we all h8 simple button mashers, me m8's bird comes round and she's hooked. 4 hours. We couldn't even play Pro Evolution on PS2, which was deeply distirbing :crying:

Edited by Jim69, 07 August 2003 - 11:34 AM.

#5 jpuk

jpuk

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Jim, I'm afraid I couldn't programme myself out of a paper bag. I'm head of testing for a Wrestling sim called Head-to-Head www.headtoheadwrestling.com (kind of like Championship Manager but you run a wrestling promotion rather than a football team) but I'd imagine that you're all set up in that area. Either way I'm always good for ideas and suggestions. I work in the construction industry so I can always help with the price of base improvements!

I've got loads of questions about Xenocide but instead of wasting everyone's time I'll have a good read through the forums.

Again, thanks for the welcome and no doubt I'll frequent here more often. Especially the tactics section, there's so many things that I never tried.

I played XCOM1 for years but I was playing on a crappy Amiga and the game came on 12 disks. I remember it took me around 5 hours for a terror or base attack. Of course, it was always worth the wait. But it meant that I never actually finished the game. I made it to Cydonia once but it took forever for the alien's turn and my save disk got corrupted. I think it was then that I simply lost my patience with my Amiga (not XCOM) and stopped playing it. Now I can blast through a mission in minutes and I've not even begun on the other XCOMs!

The graphics are worse than I remember them but the gameplay and addictiveness are better thasn ever!

#6 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 04:58 AM

The graphics are worse than I remember them but the gameplay and addictiveness are better thasn ever!

yeah, tell me about it! First time for a long time I started playing it again and I sat about 5 hours in front of my computer :D Then I had to get to the loo and noticed the time I had spent in playing...! Graphics disturbet me like 5-10min but then it hooked me again and I was in love once more.. still am. :wub:
There's no need for a sig..

#7 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:13 AM

Graphics!! I can't play it - I am forced to play TFTD on PS1!!!!!!!
*sobs*
Posted Image

#8 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 01:56 AM

Basically I just wanted to drop by and say thanks to all you guys that keep the game alive and who have made a 23 year old feel young again!

I hope you're enjoying your stay. Let us know if you need anything.