XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Accurate Aim Mode

Forsaken32

I'm kind of new to the UFO2000 program, and I've looked everywhere for an explanation of this feature... If you hold down shift when you're firing a weapon, you can use 'accurate firing mode'. It gives you something like 9 pictures and you have to click on one. It seems pretty random and the type of shapes differ with the object. I'm completely lost as to how this increases my accuracy?

heres what it looks like when you're shooting at a person...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/Forsaken32/xcomaccuracy.jpg WTF

so anyone know what the pics mean, which one would be the most accurate and why? o.O I would appreciate any kind of educational response greatly.

Edited by Forsaken32

As far as I know it doesn't have anything to do with accuracy. The pictures you see are like slices of the object you're aming for, all at different height levels. So bottom left is the ground, then you see the legs of the soldier, going up the body to the torso with two arms (I guess) up to the head and then nothing (above the head).

This can be quite useful if your target is partly covered by another object. If you shoot normally, your soldier automatically aims for the centre of your target. If, however, your target is partly covered, then the shot won't make it through. If, on the other hand, you use the special aiming thingy and go for the head instead, your shot might not be blocked.

I don't think it influences the damage you inflict in any way. Not even sure if it is more difficult to hit the head than the torso either.

Feel free to correct me anyone if I'm wrong here :)

Voller

i guess to some it might be usefull but to me, this is kinda destitute. My men are never good enough shots to successfully hit in the selected area

well, i'm pretty it works by selecting which cells to use

Every square your soldiers can be in is 22 cells tall and something around 10 cells wide, but that i don't know for sure (i think its 1 meter x 1 meter x 2 meters)

when you're doing that you're aiming for a section of the cells, in hopes that your shot will drift more towards that part. If you have a high accuracy sniper with a laser cannon it sometimes works, otherwise it doesn't really make any difference

i think this feature would be more at home with weapons that can have scopes - cause thats what its like, picking a section of enemy bloke to plug

i guess to some it might be usefull but to me, this is kinda destitute. My men are never good enough shots to successfully hit in the selected area

And this is why all my men have at LEAST 70 Accuracy. =b

(They are obscenely good shots - in Judeau's beta, we're talking headshots here, headshots there, headshots frickin' everywhere! - especially when aiming for the head using the 'precise aiming' mode and kneeling!)

do headshots actually cause more damage? I thought the precise aiming thing was just so you could shoot above/below obstacles.

Voller

They don't. What Exo2000 is talking about regards a test version made by Judeau that hasn't been implemented to the betas.

Which he thusly lost, and I'm not sure I have a copy of it.

Headshots were like 200% normal damage at least. Mmm, plasma-fried cranium, anyone? :D