XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Raptor

I think the steps of this creature should definately be heard in the battlescape as the earth shakes while it comes walking towards you and you're like "shuckeroonies, what on earth is behind that corner??? :o " :devillaugh:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reapers should be faster and more durable than in the original and should have a lot of different attack types. Just think of it coming running towards your soldiers that shoot off some snap shots at it but it's not stopped by them but it steps on the first soldier crushing him on the ground while biting the head off the second one. :devillaugh:

I think that would have quite an impact on the soldiers morale as well :eek:

Edited by Whitewashed

Any better? This was done with the help of the pic Zipperhead provided.

I don't quite like the legs/arms, I probably need to work on those. Jaw is still missing (in case you didn't notice). :D

Edit: by legs I mean the foot part of it. I tried to make it look like a huge hand (with three claws instead of fingers) but I was having some difficulties.

re_up.jpg

Edited by fidel_

Good one

I don't think it's far off, Stick the 'thumb' claw on, and lets have a look.

Certainly looks like it could do some damage with thise feet.

trooper nickname for it could be "big foot"

I went though that, the bones would have to be broad to be able to hold it up. Its right trust me. I even did a bone sketch a few pages back.

same.. since it's a carnivore capable of catching fairly large prey, It should have the ability to digest most of it. Maybe if you tried somthing like this.

sorry wrong pic, here the before and after pic i meant to post

reep.JPG

Edited by RustedSoul

Why don't you try giving it only two toes in front (and, say, an opposible thumb) or something?

Two toes might make the feet seem more proportioned, if the main complaint is that they're too big now.

Just a thought.

BTW, hi everyone! I'm one of the new guys. :)

I'm with the others on making the chest cavity larger, RustedSoul's deeper version, along with it being wider as well will help make it more balanced mass-wise. Granted, I figured this thing is hairy as well, so the legs aren't really as thick as they look, there's fur there as well, but the chest definitely needs a bit more thickness.

Howdy Foozball!

Yeah, the upper body could be a little bulkier but don't touch the legs, they need to be very big. Put that thumb claw on there as well. Edited by Whitewashed

If we keep those big legs, we can add reapers a finishing move in future versions. Finishing move -> Walking over a x-com soldier or civilian :)

I like the the latest pic where it's fatten a bit. Big feet are ok IMO.

Keep the big feet. Reasons?

1. Its alien

2. It looks like nothing else I've seen sci fi wise.

3. Its home planet may well have cause the need to have big feet to spread the weight of the creature around.

4. It looks strange which is a good thing tm as people will remember the uniqueness of it. What stood xcom apart from all the other games you've seen?

5. It looks cool.

6. There is no spoon.

There you have it :)

The big feet are nice. I'm concerned about the size of the hips, though. It looks like the reaper could break those hips rather easily. A little mass around that area would help, IMO.

Maybe experiment with different claw designs on the feet? With big feet like that, it'll need good, sharp claws. :)

It looks like the reaper could break those hips rather easily. A little mass around that area would help, IMO.

ok I going to go slightly on and off topic

I know larger Dogs can get this medical problem called "Hip dysplasia"

I know my last dog got it, god rest her soul.

So maybe the CTD could use somthing along those lines, that although It's the perfect predator, it still suffers from medical conditions as it becomes older...

Dunno just a thought.

Regarding dysplasia, I doubt these things would live that long to develop problems. Plus, dysplasia is likely caused more by breeding errors over time, if this thing developed naturally on its home planet you wouldn't get those defects.

I'd stay away from really long claws, something like that is usually retractable, so you wouldn't see it anyways. The big feet might help it catch prey in cold climates, running over snow that other creatures sink into? So long as an extra joint is placed in teh middle of the foot (acting as the ball of the foot), the walk animation should be ok.

Edited by Breunor

I like that idea, steel plated claws,

I don't think animating will be too much of a problem, the feet might have to be fairly flexible though to get a nice fold and roll as the foot sweeps forward.

It would be nice to get that effect of muscles moving under the fur tiger-like.

The best example I can think of was the walk that Milt Kahl did for Sher Kahn from the jungle book. He had that sort of baggy thing that tigers have, and he was so damn heavy... Genius

Hey, all. I'm in the creative Writing Department, but I'm kinda an artist as well. I like what you've done to the Reapers and don't get me wrong they DO look really cool. Better than the X-Com version by far. But I think Horns would give it a really vicious look. That and an out-of-control lashing tongue. Here's a little pic I spent a few minutes drawing just now. I'll post this on my own forum as well (X-Net Reaper entry) to see what people think. Keep up the good work, guys!

post-29-1076716485_thumb.jpg

any progress on the reaper?

Fidel's been animating the snakeman to finish that up, probably will work on this guy afterwards.

Sorry nixnihil, IMHO the horns would look a little odd, making it even heavier up front (and thus more of a balance issue). Plus with the multiple sets of eyes, horns would be contradictory, since you'd duel with those horns and thus endanger the delicate sets of eyes IMO.

i think the only thing overscaled on the reaper should be its feet. if we add horns, they should be tiny, not large. If reapers had any struggles on who would get the females (like in Earth wildlife), it would proberly be racing combetisions, judging on thos feet. not horn-fights.

In MY humble opinion, I don't think that savage raptors would give a damn about gouging out eachothers' eyes in a duel. They're pretty much animals, aren't they!?

But if you don't like it that's cool, I just thought I'd try to get my two bits in. On a related note, check out my Newest Raptor writeup, I need feedback, especially from people in the art department to see if the description somewhat matches their concepts!!

Hey, art guys, is this thing going to be furry? I haven't included fur in my writeup because the thing looks more reptilian in the sketches (I like reptilian better than mammalian for the raptor anyways)

So yeah, I'd appreciate it if some people went to the X-NET section and looked at an thing called "reaper entry - merged topics". It's kinda in a back alley as far as member participation is concerned.

:LOL: <--(haha)

Well, cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I go away for a little bit and no works been done god you people.

oh Im not back yet, few weeks yet.

hows the fur gonna be done? I've seen some kewl fur shaders in maya and XSI (theres a free demo i belive), and they really look great, with gravity effects, and alot of options.

Maybe you'd see that in a cutscene, but the resolution of a normal size is small enough that a fur texture would be used.

Maybe you'd see that in a cutscene, but the resolution of a normal size is small enough that a fur texture would be used.

ah, ok. I did think hair dynamics was a little bit too excessive for the XenoEngine, but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it? :).

It is not, if you are able to write a shader (or borrow it from another place ;) ) play with it in ATI Render Monkey or similar and make it work... then you are definitly on the right side (and it will be included). OGRE supports shader technology so we dont have to worry about it, so the ones that can write shaders can do it in Cg.

Greetings

Red Knight

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thinking: "something's better than nothing", here's a small sketch

The basic principle behind it: Raptor keywords: fast and hungry, so it only consists of legs, a stomach and a mouth, and a tail for balance :P

OK so it's not much, but it's a start ;)

(btw, what about that thread with Raptor concepts in the workshop?)

edit: hmm, I just realized it kinda looks like one that's already posted there :wacko:

reaper3.gif

Edited by j'ordos

Does Fidel (hey, Fidel!) have the model he started working on for this alien? I think we should continue on that concept.

I would prefer to use the previous work as reference if it is needed but not for it to be a direct influence. Let's keep the workshops seperate for now so that those designs don't stare us in the face right off the bat.

Thank you for the offer, though.

Edited by fux0r666

I've been doodling in my spare time and I've been going off of that concept, kind of mating the dinosaur-like shape to an angler-fish and a crab... but I'm having trouble making it look like something other than a dinosaur from an acid-trip. I'll post it on friday.

What do you guys think about cybernetics? I put a couple of cybernetic options on the doodle.. most of which look remeniscent of a biomechanical phage (reminds me of the comic witchblade in retrospect).

What are your sensibilities when envisioning cybernetics?

there's the mechano-biological (like the computers in that movie XistenZ) to the biomechanic (like H.R. Geiger's stuff) to the organic/machine interface (like in xcom or quake 2. Just machine parts mated to the organism but not really integrated).

I was taking an approach somewhere in between XistenZ and Geiger to try and come up with something that would make an interesting skin and look different than stuff we've seen before but I would like your input.

Since they're associated with Satyrians, who are highly cybernetic, it makes sence for the raptors to have cybernetic enhancements as well. I'd just stay clear of Giger-esque biomechanics, that doesn't seem to fit here IMHO. In stead, some cyberstuff which is obviously grafted on with little attention to aesthetics should do it, but without overdoing it. We don't want it to end up looking like an Artopod either :) Edited by j'ordos