XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Questions About Clarkwehyr's Editor

Azure Fire

Hey, i just downloaded the Clark Wehyr UFO editor, and during the installation process it mentioned that the boot files would be modified. I'm running on XP and i'd like to know if this is going to mess anything up. All i really want to do is mess around with some base ideas to see how they work. Does anyone know if there is any way that the original base can be modified? For example, changing a file such that when you create your first base, the layout it different? Or do you just need to create it and then edit it? And one final question. Do you know any editors that would allow me to change base layout, but without messing around with my boot files? Thanks.

I forget does it run a ".bat" file?

If so, read the file to findout what files are changed and make backups of them. However the editor may actually make the backups for you. My guess is that it (like most of these things) just edits the "PATH" environment variable in autoexec.bat; no big whoop.

I don't recall it having to change autoexec.bat... But then, never really used it that much :) . It's not a .bat file, that's something I do remember tho :)

An editor that changes the initial base layout does not exist as far as I know, but xcomutil has an option 'improved starting base', which alters the initial base you get (but you can't edit it).

There are other editors capable of editing the base, like UFOED, but I suggest using Clarkwehyr's Editor.

An editor that changes the initial base layout does not exist as far as I know

I actually work on just that years ago but never finished. As far as I got, though, is available at this website. You know I should get around to finishing it as I suspect Xenocide V>1 would probably end up having one.

I agree the starting base sux.

...xcomutil has an option 'improved starting base', which alters the initial base you get (but you can't edit it).

actually, I just read the starting base can be modified yourself with xcomutil

If you do not like the layout of this base, you can design your own by editing the definition in the XCOMUTIL.CFG file.  This should only be done with great care.

It doesn't ruin the whole game if you try it right? So make a "test" save and try to figure it out. Maybe you can teach us how to use it then and better yet, make a manual yourself!

No problem infact Scott provides an alternate default base with 50 scientist and 50 engineers, and arranged for invasions. Not how I"D design the base, but that's a different discussion. :rolleyes:

Well, how would Xcom's base architect design it? :)

Excuse whilst I take about a year to inhale before I speak.

Short answer: start with my Avatar, go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. I'm the author of the CWXCED editor suite.

Reading over this thread, I see that there are some questions about the editor. I'd like to answer them here:

Q1. Hey, i just downloaded the Clark Wehyr UFO editor, and during the installation process it mentioned that the boot files would be modified. (Azure Fire)

A1. During installation, CWXCED adds its directory to the PATH statement in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on your computer (after making a backup of the original). This makes it easier to start the editor on DOS or Win9x systems, but is NOT required. You can always start the editor by changing to the appropriate directory at the command line; e.g.,

C:\> cd \cwe\cwxced

C:\CWE\CWXCED> xcomedit

Or, simply navigate to the directory where CWXCED is installed using Windows Explorer and double-click on XCOMEDIT.EXE (or TFTDEDIT.EXE).

Q2. Does anyone know if there is any way that the original base can be modified? (Azure Fire)

A2. CWXCED does not edit the default base you get at the beginning of the game. Once the game has begun, you can of course edit the existing base as you see fit--including the base layout, stores and number of scientists and engineers.

Scott Jones' XCOMUTIL editor DOES allow you to lay out your default base as you like.

Q3. can someone explain to me how i can hack the base file to give me more elerium-115 in my first base? (James)

A3. Select "Bases and Stores" in the editor menu, press PgUp/PgDn to select the base you want to edit, then press Alt-I to access the inventory (stores) for that base. E-115 is item #61 in the list.

Q4. CWXCED can't find my saved games. I have the Collector's Edition.(numerous)

A4. X-COM:Collector's Edition installs by default to C:\Program Files\MicroProse\X-COM Collector's Edition\UFO Defense. The editor suite looks for UFO and TFTD in the \MPS\UFO and \MPS\TFTD folders, respectively. These were the default installation paths for the old DOS versions of the games.

You need to edit the CWXCED.INI so that it directs the editors to the correct paths. HOWEVER, please note that CWXCED is a DOS program. As such, it does not understand long file names.

The solution is to simply use the short filename equivalent to the X-COM paths.

For example, if X-COM:UFO were installed to

C:\Program Files\MicroProse\X-COM Collector's Edition\UFO Defense

the short file name for this path would probably be

C:\progra~1\microp~1\x-comc~1\ufodef~1

The numeric tails used in the short file names may differ on your

system. You can find out the exact short file name equivalents by using

the DIR command in DOS, or right-click on the directory in question in

Windows Explorer.

Once you have the short file name, edit the CWXCED.INI file with a text

editor and edit the path to the UFO and/or TFTD saved game paths in the [Files] section:

[Files]

UFO_Path=C:\progra~1\microp~1\x-comc~1\ufodef~1

TFTD_Path=C:\progra~1\microp~1\x-comc~1\terror~1

Q5. CWXCED does not seem to work in XP. (numerous)

A5. I've had reports that it does work, but only if you don't use the mouse while in the editor. Try using Compatibility Mode in XP to run the editor, it may help.

Other issues with CWXCED and XP are likely due to the LFN issue; see Q4.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head and e-mail folder. I am pleased to see that CWXCED and X-COM still has such a great following! :D

Edited by CWE

Hi, I use your editor on occasion to run various experiments and whatnot, and it's been quite a handy tool. I know I probably shouldn't be mentioning this in this thread, but it's such a minor thing that I thought a new thread would be overkill.

I have a minor bone to pick with you regarding the base editor and installation of radars. My copy of the editors a bit dated, I think, so please feel free to ignore me if this has already been dealt with.

The editor fills the radars in just fine, but I noticed that it wasn't setting the proper 'radar' variables for the base (IIRC these should be three unsigned short integers just before the base module information for each respective base entry in the base.dat file), thus the radars never actually function (very noticeable in new bases - but not so in the main base, mostly due to the phantom-radar bug (if you remove a radar that's been built, the base's 'radar' variables aren't updated so the base still picks up UFOs until the game builds another radar)).

One solution would be to either set these (note, only one of each radar type works), or to set their build days to 1, like most base editors do with the Hyperwave decoder, and let the game itself deal with setting these variables properly.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Hi, all.  I'm the author of the CWXCED editor suite.

Reading over this thread, I see that there are some questions about the editor.  I'd like to answer them here:

Q1. Hey, i just downloaded the Clark Wehyr UFO editor, and during the installation process it mentioned that the boot files would be modified. (Azure Fire)

A1. During installation, CWXCED adds its directory to the PATH statement in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on your computer (after making a backup of the original).  This makes it easier to start the editor on DOS or Win9x systems, but is NOT required.  You can always start the editor by changing to the appropriate directory at the command line; e.g.,

C:\> cd \cwe\cwxced

C:\CWE\CWXCED> xcomedit

Or, simply navigate to the directory where CWXCED is installed using Windows Explorer and double-click on XCOMEDIT.EXE (or TFTDEDIT.EXE).

"Tee hee, I was right!" :zelda:

What does your editor check for the bases? Because whenever I tried your editor it was unable to edit bases ('no valid base record' or something like that, actually, no editor at all managed it :) ). This was with a savegame supposedly not having any bases ('loc.dat' was altered, don't know exactly what it did and maybe there are some other files altered as well, happens when you load an 'empty' savedgame slot in xcom1). Manually hex editing base.dat worked fine tho...

• 6 months later...
Do any of you know where there is a guide for modifying the start base like it said in xcomutil?  All i would like to do is change the layout so i won't be crushed in an invasion.

This option was added to XcomUtil 9.5. You are given an additional choice of starting base which is JUST a rearrangement of the default facilities, unlike the other alternate base which also upgrades the radar, adds Alien Containment, and adds extra scientists and engineers with their extra Living Quarters.