XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Save Files

PeterDragon

Has anyone seen any sites that describe the format of any of the save files for any of the 3 X-Com save games?

I am making a simple windows version of a game file editor for any of the X-Com's 1, 2, and 3; I just didn't wan to have to go through and figure out by trial and error for what means what in the file if someone already did it, then I'll use what they posted about it to read and save to the files. Else, well... I'll continue looking and doing a check and guess. If anyone else wants to figure out what is in one of the save files and tell me, or wonders how I am doing this can contact me.

Guest stewart

I e-mailed Scott Jones (the guy who wrote XcomUtil) once and he sent me a copy of his master header file. It contains a ton of structure definitions which are related to how the data is organized in these files. I haven't looked at it in a while so I can't say off the top of my head what's what, and I promissed him I would not distribute his file (so don't ask me for it, the answer's no).

Go to his website he discribes how to penatrate these files, moreover just e-mail him for help, I did, out-of-the-blue.

As for fromatting the resources in the remake. I'd really like the graphics to be bmp's, and the information straight ascii. That way the resources could be edited in PaintBrush and Notepad.

Guest stewart
His website is listed somewhere on this one; have a gander. As for game file formats, I doubt they are the way they are for obfuscating stuff. There are probably speed and memory use reasons instead but my thinking is even if thats the case bmp and ascii could be converted to binary data and stored in files created at startup time. This wouldn't effect play times.

If you search for "Scott T. Jones" or just "Scott Jones" on almost any search engine, you'll probably turn up a page of his within the first 5 results. He's been around for a while. I met with him a couple of times, even went over to his house in Austin for a while to trade some old games he created that we played head-to-head with via email. He's a really nice guy. His Xcomutil program is on my "Cheating" page.

-Micah

[email protected]

www.xcomufo.com