XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How many here have read the novel by Diane Duane?

tynan

• 1 month later...

I have the book, but it's currently packed away in preperation for a move, so I can't say with 100% certiany, but I believe it was just called "X-Com Ufo Defense".

The writing seems geared towards the 17-21 age group, but for a fan of the series it's still a decent story. I've read t a couple of times - it's not bad at all.

Funny this should be brought up. It has been years and years since I last read this, but noticed it on my bookshelf the other day. The title is:

X-COM

UFO Defense™

A Novel

(ISBN: 0-7615-0235-1)

If I remember correctly, Microprose released the first chapter as a free teaser to download.

It's a good fun piece of science fiction to read but a bit flawed. From a non-fan/casual reader's point of view, I felt some concepts and technology weren't readily explained. From a fan's point of view, I found it a bit difficult to read whenever content relevant to the game came up. While it was fine most of the time, there are a lot things that didn't quite gel or feel right. Even though the book isn't confined by the limits imposed by the game, I felt the scale of the operation, particularly during the final battle, was bordering on absurd. That said, it was still enjoyable enough.

- NKF