XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcomutil

Mandras

I'm trying to use XcomUtil with the Dos version of X-Com UFO Defense (1.2). When I run XcuSetup.bat, it opens for a few seconds, displays all the options your supposed to answer Y/N to followed by CANNOT EXECUTE SDUMP.EXE or XCOMUTIL.EXE or XCOMUTRT.EXE, then abruptly closes.

Im using Windows XP, and I unzipped all the XcomUtil files into the X-COM game directory. Not sure whats wrong...

Here's what shows up:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sanatyr\Desktop\Copy of X-COM - UFO Defense>XcuSetup.b

at

XCOMUTIL Setup for XCOM/UFO

Cannot execute C:\DOCUME~1\SANATYR\DESKTOP\COPY OF X-COM - UFO DEFENSE\XCOMUTIL.

EXE

Do you want to use the improved starting base? (N)

Cannot execute C:\DOCUME~1\SANATYR\DESKTOP\COPY OF X-COM - UFO DEFENSE\SDUMP.EXE

Do you want to use the alternate starting base? (N)

Cannot execute C:\DOCUME~1\SANATYR\DESKTOP\COPY OF X-COM - UFO DEFENSE\SDUMP.EXE

Cannot execute C:\DOCUME~1\SANATYR\DESKTOP\COPY OF X-COM - UFO DEFENSE\XCOMUTIL.

EXE

Do you want to use the improved tanks? (Y)

EXE

Do you want to use the improved weapons? (Y)

EXE

EXE

Do you want to use the new laser weapons? (N)

Do you want to get research help from captured aliens? (N)

EXE

Do you want to see XcomUtil messages after combat? (N)

Do you want stat strings added to the names of your troops? (Y)

Do you want rank indicators added to the names of your troops? (Y)

Do you want their number of kills added to the names of your troops? (Y)

Do you want your troops automatically sorted before combat? (Y)

Do you want to automatically re-equip your troops before combat? (Y)

Do you want to eliminate mind control? (N)

EXE

Do you want automatic screening for Psi ability? (N)

Do you want to fight all battles in daylight? (N)

Do you want to fight all battles in darkness? (N)

EXE

Saving Old Farm and Desert Terrain

Restoring Old Farm and Desert Terrain

Do you want use the new Farm and Desert terrains? (Y)

Creating New Farm and Desert Terrain

Do you want combat terrain to be randomized? (N)

Do you want to be prompted before every ship attack? (N)

Do you want the world map terrain to be randomized? (N)

Do you want XcomUtil to randomly place terrain on the battlefield? (N)

Do you want to randomize alien ship floorplans before each battle? (N)

Do you want to randomize all of the alien ship floorplans now? (N)

Do you want the random ships to have random shapes? (Y)

Cannot execute C:\DOCUME~1\SANATYR\DESKTOP\COPY OF X-COM - UFO DEFENSE\XCOMUTRT.

EXE

You should read XCOMUTIL.TXT for more information.

To enable all of the features of XCOMUTIL, you must use RUNXCOM.BAT

to run the game.

C:\DOCUME~1\Sanatyr\Desktop\Copy of X-COM - UFO Defense>

Ok, it's obvious you copied your XCOM folder (which is not a bad thing). Question is, did you copy the XCOM folder before you unzipped XCOMUtil in there?

Also, you might consider renaming your UFO folder. XCom was made in the good ol'days of short names, where I believe folders could only have 12 characters.

Most likely the problem is that for some reason it has a mangled and unmangled folder names, see below.

C:\DOCUME~1\Sanatyr\Desktop\Copy of X-COM - UFO Defense>
 ^mangled^				  ^ unmangle long name ^
 long name					  with spaces

So again try renaming it to something like UFO2, and double check that those files are in the folder.

EDIT: Are you sure you are using the DOS version? DOS version normally puts the folder name as UFO, windows (aka Collectors Edition or Gold Edition) puts X-COM - UFO Defense as the folder name. Not that it matters much other than a few bugs removed and a few added (well the blaster bomb is the major one).

Edited by Pi Masta

Man! You were right. I must have forgotten I was workin with DOS here, where "spaces" don't exist. I renamed the directory "Xcom" and it finally worked. DosBox is even worse, it won't even recognize directories like "Documents and Settings" because of the spaces. Everything has to be one word and less than 12 characters.

You could always use an underscore: _ instead of a space. Dos allows that, but it is sometimes inconvenient to use the shift key. ;)

- Zombie

• 2 months later...
Man! You were right. I must have forgotten I was workin with DOS here, where "spaces" don't exist. I renamed the directory "Xcom" and it finally worked. DosBox is even worse, it won't even recognize directories like "Documents and Settings" because of the spaces. Everything has to be one word and less than 12 characters.

DosBox is emulateing dos and will not handle long file names. My solution has alwase to have c:\dosgames mount to C: and just let the old games install into what ever there default is.

-Blade FireLight