XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Aborting A Mission Recovers Troops

keybounce

Xcomutil is able to recover MIA troops, such as those under mind control. Good.

But today, I aborted a mission. Every living soldier was returned to base. Assigned to the non-existent ship "Weapon-1" (the ship itself was lost -- no one was in it when I aborted). Some of them got promotions.

I consider this a real bug. Aborting a mission is supposed be a big bad thing. Being able to recover all your troops is too easy of a way out.

I like the idea of recovering MIA/mind controlled troops when I take out the last one or two aliens.

I dislike the recovery of everyone when I abort.

The fix? Manually track who should be fired, and fire them. That still doesn't cost me points -- what should have been a big negative score turned out to be almost a break-even.

(So why did I abort? A misclick resulted in a horrible booch.)

Which version of XComutil introduces this feature? Mind controlled troops or troops outside the landing craft should always be MIA even with XComutil. Are there any settings in the xcomutil setup that allow you to switch this off?

From what I can remember, if a battlescape fails to end properly, the game will not have updated the misdat\ files that bridge the stats for the soldiers between the Geoscape and battlescape, so soldiers that were killed or went MIA in combat may not be treated as such. Having a non-existent Weapon-1 ship shows that something has glitched while the game switched between the two main executables.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 10 months later...

I once had a similar problem: aborted mission with all my soldiers outside the Avenger (I was planning to reload anyway), and had my soldiers alive in my base, but listed inside a non-existing, non-selectable craft called "Alien Ship-01"! (or something similar)

That sounds like a massive glitch. Oh well, I reloaded anyway.