XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Which Files Contain Bullet Images?

IIRC it was X1.pck (which also contains the explosions). Not sure though, been a long time.

Note that the bullet 'trails' are created on the fly, they are not stored as an image. So it'll look a bit weird.

IIRC it was X1.pck (which also contains the explosions). Not sure though, been a long time.

Note that the bullet 'trails' are created on the fly, they are not stored as an image. So it'll look a bit weird.

Hey, trais are not in images, strange!

I took a look at X1, but it only contains explosion.

Thnx anyway m8!

post-14153-1179672818_thumb.jpg

The heavy cannon/rockets/etc have different bullet images though?

Can't find the bullet images anywhere either... Maybe I was confusing with the bullet impact explosion images in the smoke.pck file.

The heavy cannon/rockets/etc have different bullet images though?

True :)

I have some more screenshots of the bullets, it seems they are made out of patterns (particles).

Some examples of these patterns:

x

x x

x

x x

oxo

x#x

oxo

... and so on

So the bullets are actually a number of particles!

And the advantage/reason behind it is that they don't have to be pre-drawn for each

direction they are moving at.

K that means implementing it changes a few things ^_^

post-14153-1180093050_thumb.png

post-14153-1180093061_thumb.png

post-14153-1180093070_thumb.png

post-14153-1180093089_thumb.png

• 11 months later...

So? Did you get to change bullets images??? I have tried also to find them in the code, no luck... Please tell us if you get them!!

Uncy

So? Did you get to change bullets images??? I have tried also to find them in the code, no luck... Please tell us if you get them!!

Uncy

Well there only exist these pattern images, probably inside the code as a struct.

Each of these patterns follows the bullet path at same speed only some pixels

distance from each other. This has the advantage over making images

that you would have to rotate the image towards where the bullet is going,

or that you would have to need a whole 360 set of images each for every degree

in direction

Uncy

Well there only exist these pattern images, probably inside the code as a struct.

Each of these patterns follows the bullet path at same speed only some pixels

distance from each other. This has the advantage over making images

that you would have to rotate the image towards where the bullet is going,

or that you would have to need a whole 360 set of images each for every degree

in direction

I Find it hard to believe they do not have those images in a 360 set. They did it with everything else, plus, when you throw a grenade or flair, the actually show the "floorob.pck" image while traveling... I will just love to make a Big Blue Plasma Shot :Cry:

Thanks and I will keep looking in the tactical executable for those "images" ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here they are! I found them just below the Damage Modifiers. There are bytes that I don't know what they do, and it is very weird how they work.

The bytes refer to the Colors to be draw as patterns, for example 48 is green for plasma, 90 for Rifle Bullet, 07(or 5F?) for Laser and C8 purple for Stun Missiles and Blaster missiles. You can change their "trail", "smoke" or "Body". I still don't know how it all works, but it need intense testing...

I recomend anyone wanting to test them, to edit and use a "tactical.exe" in a unfinished mission with soldiers equiped with all sorts of wpns. Replace Colors to "48"(green) for example, as it is very easy to detect in game.

This is an example of the data...

Rifle and Pistol AP Bullets Pattern:

93939291900090919293939392919090919293000000000090919200000000000090910000000000

The first bytes draw a traveling red "bullet" or "circle", it is darker outside. the rest, draws the traveling red "trail" that follows it.

Laser Beams function diferently, only the first 2 bites draw for almost 80% of the Laser "Beam3, the rest of the code draws the very last portion of it...

Missiles are a mix of patterns, same with the Cannon AP Shell, it draws a blue "square" on top of a Rifle AP Bullet, then draws the smoke pattern, and then a "laser" beam trail, very confusing...

Hope you guys get interested about this new Data, can't wait to see it in UFOPaedia ;)

Uncy

UFO_Dmg_Mod_and_Bullet_Patterns.xls

Edited by uncy

This is an example of the data...

Rifle and Pistol AP Bullets Pattern:

93939291900090919293939392919090919293000000000090919200000000000090910000000000

The first bytes draw a traveling red "bullet" or "circle", it is darker outside. the rest, draws the traveling red "trail" that follows it.

Laser Beams function diferently, only the first 2 bites draw for almost 80% of the Laser "Beam3, the rest of the code draws the very last portion of it...

Or not.

XCOM and XCOM2, at least, use an in-house run-length-encoding type algorithm that explicitly supports transparency for images. This is plausibly an adaptation.