XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Keyboard Wont Work Once Game Is Started

Brimeca

Hi, just installed X-Com Enemy Unknown CE and used the graphics glitch patch to get rid of the graphics problems. The keyboard works in first 2 menues. The Languge selection and game start one that is.

Once I get ingame and try to build my first base, I can not name it because keyboard wont work ingame. I can CTR+ALT+Delete and it flickers up, but cant shut it down either since XCOM keeps overlapping it.

I run Windows XP

I have the same problem in XCOM2-TFTD as well

Keyboard works in intro to get past it, then once I start the actual game I cant enter name for base and I cant get out of the game either

Edited by Brimeca

Hi, just installed X-Com Enemy Unknown CE and used the graphics glitch patch to get rid of the graphics problems. The keyboard works in first 2 menues. The Languge selection and game start one that is.

Once I get ingame and try to build my first base, I can not name it because keyboard wont work ingame. I can CTR+ALT+Delete and it flickers up, but cant shut it down either since XCOM keeps overlapping it.

I run Windows XP

I have the same problem in XCOM2-TFTD as well

Keyboard works in intro to get past it, then once I start the actual game I cant enter name for base and I cant get out of the game either

I don't have a "good" answer for you. But I do have an answer. Try using DosBox and the Dos version of the game. Then the only patch you need is XCOMUTIL.

I run the game that way and love it.

-D

Interesting,

Are you using anything that might modify your keyboard? (Like one of those fancy shmancy keyboards with an 'Internet' or 'My Computer' buttons) Or are you using extensions for languages other than english. If you are try disabling / uninstalling them.

Are you using a loader to get around the graphics glitch problems (something like xcloader)? It seems to work fine for me.

As a last resort, try going to your UFO Defense folder, right click on 'UFO Defense.exe' > Properties > Compatibility (Tab) > check the 'Turn off advanced text services for this program' under Input Settings

Also try it with the loader (if you are using one) as well. I really don't know what this does, but it's in the same ballpark as your problem. Worst that could happen is the game doesn't work (which is the same state it's in now).

Though it sounds like you could open a saved game and play for the most part. I'd imagine you would get stuck as soon as you build another base...

Edited by Pi Masta

Interesting,

Are you using anything that might modify your keyboard?

Good point Pi. I wonder if he might be running a key-logger? That would explain keyboard anomalies. Run a full virus/trojan scan.

-D

• 1 month later...
i have the same problem. happens in XP and running ubuntu. haven't tried the dos version yet.

I don't have this problem in XP, but do have it in Ubuntu.

Of course, I have a different problem with XP that doesn't show up in Ubuntu... but not quite as show stopping, since the keyboard thing also prevents saving.

• 7 months later...
I'm having the same problem. It's really pissing me off because when it asks for input on a Base Name, I can't minimize to the desktop to close the game out. I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and it just hangs and flashes in the background of the game when I try to switch to it [the taskmgr]. I don't know how to fix it, and I am looking for an answer.

Instead of Alt-Ctrl-Del what about Alt-Enter? Wont that give you access to your desktop?

Actually, I didn't try that. I might of and not have remembered how I did it, because I did get to my desktop twice, but I'll try that later. Still, the keyboard problem persists. I thought I fixed it, but nope... still hindering me from experiencing what is UFO Defense.

Do you have a "windows" key on your keyboard? Assuming you are running a Microsoft-based operating system, that usually allows me to get back to the desktop fairly fast. If you aren't using DosBox, try that to run UFO. It's very easy to back out of a program in an endless loop with it. :wink1:

The only idea I have about the keyboard problem might be the character set used. Not sure if that is an issue but it may cause problems if the game doesn't recognize the inputs from the keyboard. If running the Dos version of the game, try DosBox. I know I must sound like a broken record, but the program does help and you don't need any of those "fixes" which may be doing more harm than good. ^_^

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

It doesn't work when I'm trying to input a base name. I've tried updating the drivers for my keyboard, but the update always fails. Also, I've tried turning on every different property for the game to run and it just keeps doing the same thing. It basically deactivates the keyboard, and only after a long time will it let through maybe one or two different pressed keys. I don't know what the heck the problem is...

so the keyboard works for other parts of the game? maybe it is working and you're doing it wrong. Describe in detail how you are trying to change base name.

No, it's at the same part in the game, it's just I can always manage to get one or two characters in when trying to minimize the screen. Other than that, there is no solution to this. I've even tried the USB keyboard and it didn't work, so I don't know what the problem is.

Well,

It's a miracle! :D

I finally got it to work by ending some tasks in the task manager. I'll see if tomorrow I can share which task it is exactly that you need to end in order for the keyboard to function, but for now, I REALLY need to play the game.

What I think the problem was, though, was that the process running in the background was not sharing keyboard control between it and the game. So, one of these tasks are a keyboard or even hardware hogger which I need to find out myself. I'll be back on as soon as possible (after I play a little bit and after I test the tasks a little more) to share the good news.

It's a good day/night. ^_^

Hmm, I know that programs running in the background can screw with game colors but didn't realize it would mess with keyboard control as well. Nice to know there is a fix though. :)

I'll mention this here for anybody having problems. When trying to run the game, close out everything which is running in the background. The game obviously likes full system resources devoted to only itself and doesn't fancy sharing with other programs. Sure, it may be only a single program which is spoiling the fun (web browsers seem to be leading cause from the reports I read so far), but you may as well be on the safe side and make the game happy. :D

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

On my Vista setup, Dosbox has a similar issue. If I alt tab to something else and then switch back I have to press the alt key once dosbox is back to full screen or most of the keyboard does not work. Just because program has control of the video card does not mean that windows windows properly passed the state of what Alt, Ctl or Shift are in.

If a game or other program get's confused about what state the alt key is in. it may change how it handles the rest of the keys on the keyboard giving the ilusion that they stoped working. First thing I alwase do in that situation is tap the alt and ctl keys a few time and try again.

-Blade FireLight

Well, it turns out that internet-related processes are the culprit. I advise you turn off EVERYTHING internet-related like firefox.exe or iexplore.exe! Also, make sure you don't have any hanging internet processes open, because even though I didn't have Firefox running, it's process was found to be in the background, and that is basically what fixed my problem--ending that process. So, cheers everyone!