XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How to play XCOM with 2k and XP

Guest Timil

It's easy:

Search your DirectX setting program (usually C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe )

Wait for DX to finish initialisation.

Go to the 3rd screen (containing the DirectDraw setting) and disable DirectDraw acceleration (Direct3D acceleration change nothing to the problem).

This will solve your UFO and TFTD blur screen problem.

Don't forget to put it enable again for any newer game (but less fun game)

If someone have any tip on how to accelerate the mouse pointer in Apocalypse, I would be really pleased to know!

Though your method of disabling directdraw manually does work, I think most people use the xcom1fix.exe file. When you run the file, it automatically disables directdraw and starts the game for you, then re-enables directdraw when you quit the game. There's also a fix for xcom2, xcom2fix.exe You can find them both on the Download page (highlighted in green to the left) Click on UFO Defense to find xcom1fix.exe and click on Terror from the Deep for xcom2fix.exe Just place the files in the game directory and run them instead of the normal game executables. Voila :)

-Micah

[email protected]

www.xcomufo.com

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Warpexplorer

search the web for a little dos utility called mousectl, I think it should fix the mouse slowness problem. I found it here:

http://files.chatnfiles.com/Netware%20Supe...S_UTIL/UTILITY/

then just add a line to the autoexec that either vdmsound loads or the default autoexec.nt, that looks something like this :

C:\Mouse\MOUSECTL.COM 6,8,15,15,15

and that should do it....

my current problem with getting apocalypse to work in win 2k is that my mouse gets stuck in a small area in the top left corner of the screen and I cant move it down to the menu items

try running apoc from dos, it wont load. from windows, it loads but mouse stays stuck i ncorner.

its just apoc doesnt match with the dos of win2k..

i dotn think there is somethign to do for it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Malcolm Kawamori

Greetings.

The posts concerning the Win2k/Xcom Apoc and the mouse getting stuck in the top left hand corner where made a few weeks back.

Just checking to see if any one had wandered across any solution in thier travels yet.

--

Beware the penguins.

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Calthaer

Even the xcom1fix doesn't seem to work for me...all I get is a blank screen that I can't ALT+TAB out of. Disabling DirectDraw will let me open the game - the music is really too quiet, of course (which I'm assuming musfix.dll would correct) and I can't seem to use the keyboard at all to zoom in or rotate the world map. (a real problem sometimes when you need to zoom). Otherwise it might work.

I've been meaning to set up an old DOS box to play this, Ultima Underworld I & II, Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, Celtic Tales, and all sorts of other DOS goodness...looks like I'll have to accelerate my timetable for that. Stinks it won't work in Windows XP, though.

I have XP running all the latest updates (including SP1)...man who owns the rights to this game now? They should fix it...