XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Sfx I Think We Need

blue123

Ok, I've come up with a list of all the sound I think we need. Here goes.

PLANETSCAPE

Menu beeps

Scrolling sounds

Speech?

Atmospheric beeps

Warning tones

CRAFT COMBAT

X-CORPS craft engines

UFO Engines

UFO Weapons

Craft Weapons

Speech? (Pilot talking, cheers when UFO shot down?)

Menu beeps (When clicking on what to do, like cautious attack, etc...)

BATTLESCAPE

Screams

Doors closing/opening

Speech

Weapons

Footsteps

Wind

Scenery (Like trees in the wind. Actually, that might go into wind...)

Distant gunfire on terror missions?

Atmospheric sounds (Like birds)

Add more if you think I've missed some.

Blue, you are in charge of mantaining the list...

People help adding details like:

Screams:

- Male Human Scream (6 variations)

- Female Human Scream (6 variations)

- Male Child Human Scream (2 variations)

- Female Child Human Scream (2 variations)

- Aliens

- Artopod Scream/Explosion (3 variations)

- Cloak Scream (5 variations)

- Grey Scream (5 variations)

- Morlock Scream (5 variations)

- Raptor Scream (5 variations)

- Satyrian Scream (5 variations)

- Silibrate Scream (5 variations)

- Spawn Scream (5 variations)

- Terror Disc Explosion (3 variations)

- Ventriculant Scream (5 variations)

- Viper Scream (5 variations)

Alien References:

- Concepts: http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artw...aracters/Alien/

- Descriptions: http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Crea...nt/XNet/Aliens/

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

Screams:

- male X-Corps Soldier beeing hit (10 variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier beeing hit (10 variations)

- male X-Corps Soldier loosing consciousness (10 variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier loosing consciousness (10 variations)

- male X-Corps Soldier dying (10 variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier dying (10 variations)

- male X-Corps Soldier going berserk (5 variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier going berserk (5 variations)

- male X-Corps Soldier beeing MCed (5 variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier beeing MCed (5 variations)

Battlefield chat - a lot of variations are needed since this is going to be heard very often:

- male X-Corps Soldier "yes sir" (15? variations) ?

- female X-Corps Soldier "yes sir" (15? variations) ?

- male X-Corps Soldier killing alien (15? variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier killing alien (15? variations)

- male X-Corps Soldier "can't do that" (15? variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier "can't do that" (15? variations)

- male X-Corps Soldier "no line of sight" (6? variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier "no line of sight" (6? variations)

- male X-Corps Soldier "no target" (6? variations)

- female X-Corps Soldier "no target" (6? variations)

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to renew conversation on this topic, the soldier sounds in particular. I think they call for a different set of requirements than most effects.

First of all, is it agreed that soldiers will give verbal feedback, as Mad suggested above ("no line of sight", etc.)?

If the answer is no, life is simple - any one SND person can record a bunch of female screams, and a bunch of male screams, and be done with it (oversimplified for sake of illustration).

If, however, the answer is yes (and, for the sake of game quality, I think it should be), then I propose that each soldier, when hired, should be assigned one set of audio samples, and that set will stay with them throughout the game. Of course, this means that many people (or a couple of very, very versatile voice actors :) ) will need to lend their voices.

Why

It's easy to recognize a person's voice. When the player tells their favorite sniper to do something, they expect the sniper to reply using the same voice as they always have, both earlier in this mission and in previous missions.

How

We seem to have established that we prefer a large number of each type of sound for the sake of variety. We certainly need multiple "soldiers" - do we need multiple versions of each type of statement from each soldier? For example, will a given soldier always respond with "Yes, Sir!", or will that be mixed with "Go, go, go!" and "Affirmattive!" The latter is the model used in the Warcraft/Starcraft games (sorry for the outdated reference - I talk about what I know about).

My recommendation is that, for each soldier, we record the following:

-Affirmative x 3 (played anytime an order is given to a soldier that can be carried out - the equivalent of Mad's "Yes sir")

-No target x 1 (played when a soldier is commanded to fire at an empty space

-No line of fire x 1

-Can't move there x 1

-Negative x 1 (played in any other situation that a command cannot be followed)

If anyone can think of any others, please suggest them. The "Negative" is intended as a catch-all in case we miss something.

Mad, since each alien will make a unique sound when it dies, I don't support including a sound for when a soldier kills an alien - it would just clutter up the soundscape. Other opinions?

Who

I'm from Texas. I can pull off a very Texan accent, and a fairly generic (non-regional) American accent - maybe a couple of others. But, Mad suggested 15 variations for each type of statement - which translates to 30 unique soldiers (15 per gender). At the moment, there appear to be 0 full members in the SND department - certainly not enough to come up with all of these.

So, I think it might be both a solution and a cool thing for project members if submissions for soldier sound sets were opened to (or requested) from the whole project team. Of course, people would only be able to contribute if they had access to some minimum quality level of recording equipment, but I don't think that level has to be very high.

If we want to do this, there are a few things to do/decide:

-The X-Corps is international - do we want multi-lingual soldier responses?

-Whatever the answer to the previous question, can the CTD develop a set of accepted one-line scripts?

-We'll have to set standards for the recordings. If we can get relatively clear recordings from everyone, I or another SND person can develop a set of effects to send all the voices through, which will give them a standard sound (probably something telephone-ish, representing the battlefield radio's the X-Corps use).

If I'm as alone in SND as I think I am, I could really use feedback from you folks in other departments. What do you think?

Ok a few points. To begin with the last: I think english as international language should be used for responds, however, if we go with (and I would recommend this) every member contributing I think those could (should?) easily speak english in an accent of their mother tongue. As for the variations: I don't know if I get you right, but do you really want three versions of "Affermative"? Or do you want (what I would suggest) something like "Affermaive", "Consider it done" and "on my way"? In addition I would suggest that if every member lends his voice, he/she (where "she" will definetly get a problem) should be given some creative free space to use different words. Plus I think since these will be heard very often a lot of different answers will be required, otherwise it will definetly get boring, so I won't go with the relatively low counts you proposed.

I agree with your oppinion on the individual "got'ya". I didn't think about the death screams of the aliens.

What do you mean by on-line scripts?

"one"-line, not "on"-line - to solve the problem of repetition that you mentioned. In other words, could you provide a list of phrases that would be appropriate for the Affirmative category of samples ("Yes, Sir!" and "Affirmative!" are ok, but "yeah, alright" is not), and a similar list for each type of sample.

Of course, as other members get around to recording their samples, they may want to make their own variations, but I think it would be best if we had some examples to use as points of reference.

Also, I think screams should be added to the list, but I'll wait to see more feedback before retyping the list.

"one"-line, not "on"-line - to solve the problem of repetition that you mentioned.  In other words, could you provide a list of phrases that would be appropriate for the Affirmative category of samples ("Yes, Sir!" and "Affirmative!" are ok, but "yeah, alright" is not), and a similar list for each type of sample. 

Woops sorry, misread... ^_^

I'm not quite sure if "alright" or "yeah" is that bad. Why not leave people their creativity? But alright if you think this would be a good thing to have, I think this shouldn't be exclusive to CTD. So this is an open call! Submit your ideas to this thread in Active: Creative text!

Define the commands that would require sound set, and a required set.

Selection Action:

- Ready for action, sir!

- Yes?

- At your order, sir!

Affirmative Actions:

- Consider it done!

- On my way to do it.

- Etc.

Communicate action finish:

- Done!

- I am done...

Moving Actions:

- Go go go...

- Taking

Berserk Action:

- Sir, we are taking casualties siiiirrrrr....

- I am gonna die!!!

Etc...

Hope you got the idea...

Entries should have to be categorized by the following: Mother Tongue, Accent (if available), Set Quality. For instance my Argentinian English is by far different than native english.

About the script for actions CTD should have a required list, optionals and obviously unique ones (nationality based, that includes individuals creativity).

Greetings

Red Knight

A system like UFO: Aftermath would actually be nice. It wouldn't have to be so complicated, but in that game there were responses everyone had

very much like it says above actually

There were like 3 different lines for i can't go there

1 or 2 for no line of fire

1 or 2 for I've been hit

1 or 2 for target down

so 2 or 3 seperate lines for every action would be nice. Who would like to hear your soldier saying, every time you move him 'Yes sir,' with the exact same voice and tone.

sorry if thats already been said, i'm kind of trying to summarize it up i guess...

Alright - here's a revised list - type, example, and quantity

--------------------------------

Affirmative - "Yes, sir!" - [7]

No line of sight - "I can't see it!" - [3]

Can't move to... - "I can't get over there!" - [3]

Panic - "we're all gonna die...we're all gonna die" - [3]

Berserk - "They're everywhere!!" - [3]

Wounded - "I'm hit!" - [3]

killed - um, scream - [3]

Negative - "I can't do that, sir!" [3]

For the Affirmative responses, 5 should be from the official list, and two should be original, which includes non-English.

For all other responses, 2 should be from the official list, and the remaing sample should be original (optionally non-English).

Yes, we want variety, but there are two reasons to keep the number of samples down:

-everyone who wants to participate is going to have to provide this many samples; the more we require, the fewer people will be willing to do it.

-All this audio is going to take a lot of space.

I think playing samples for selecting the soldier, acknowledging an order, and finishing the action is going to be too much.

There's a disparity in this list between the positive responses (just the Affirmative category) and the negative responses (No line of sight, Can't move to..., and Negative). I think this is appropriate because the positive responses are just there for game flavor, but the negative responses give the user important feedback - more detail is appropriate.

The command set is appropriate, Mad inform your members that we need the official lines for that.. Create a thread in your department ;)

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

The command set is appropriate, Mad inform your members that we need the official lines for that.. Create a thread in your department ;)

Greetings

Red Knight

Not to "offend" you but have you read any of my posts avove? ;) This thread exists since yesterday 9:17 PM:

Why not leave people their creativity? But alright if you think this would be a good thing to have, I think this shouldn't be exclusive to CTD. So this is an open call! Submit your ideas to this thread in Active: Creative text!
and the list is more than done... :)

• 1 month later...

I'll try to record some examples of the required sentences, also trying to limitate my french accent .... ;)

I''ll also give several versions of one record, at different recording quality, to have an idea of how it sounds

Alright - here's a revised list - type, example, and quantity

Affirmative - "Yes, sir!" - [7]

No line of sight - "I can't see it!" - [3]

Can't move to... - "I can't get over there!" - [3]

Panic - "we're all gonna die...we're all gonna die" - [3]

Berserk - "They're everywhere!!" - [3]

Wounded - "I'm hit!" - [3]

killed - um, scream - [3]

Negative - "I can't do that, sir!" [3]

For the Affirmative responses, 5 should be from the official list, and two should be original, which includes non-English.

For all other responses, 2 should be from the official list, and the remaing sample should be original (optionally non-English).

Yes, we want variety, but there are two reasons to keep the number of samples down:

-everyone who wants to participate is going to have to provide this many samples; the more we require, the fewer people will be willing to do it.

-All this audio is going to take a lot of space.

I think playing samples for selecting the soldier, acknowledging an order, and finishing the action is going to be too much.

There's a disparity in this list between the positive responses (just the Affirmative category) and the negative responses (No line of sight, Can't move to..., and Negative). I think this is appropriate because the positive responses are just there for game flavor, but the negative responses give the user important feedback - more detail is appropriate.