XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Stun Bomb

coolp

Here's my first draft, any suggestions and criticisms are appreciated... I'm not sure if I get across the idea well... what do you all think?

STANDARD RPG AMMO (until name resolve)

After thorough examination of the internal mechanisms of the stun bomb, our research scientists have been able to deduce the workings of the device. Through a complicated imbedded AI routine, the stun bomb analyzes the waves [not sure the exact phrase...] in the organisms surrounding it, and exerts a neutralizing frequency to the brain waves that forces the brain to immediately go into a coma like state. This is the ideal tool for neutralizing enemy combatants, and will allow us to capture more aliens alive. Troops need to be advised, however, that they must take care when using the stun bomb, as it can affect friendly units as well as enemy.

---------------------------------------------------
Sorry I haven't posted for a while, I've been really busy with school, and having to spend a lot more time on Geometry so I have been studying during Study Hall instead of posting here. I'm going to try to post more often when I get home now, all the models and artwork are amazing! Edited by red knight

Hey Coolp, good start there. Not sure about the brain wave scanning/neutralizing waves, that sounds more like an emitter but it would have to be like a psi-capable device to some extent. Perhaps if it emits a small field of electrical current similar to a stun gun (my mind pictures an electircal ball that flashes out for a second, looking like the lockdown skill that Ghosts had in Starcraft) which immobilizes a unit?

A question which might help us, did the stun bomb ever have an effect on mechanical units like the Terror-Disc (have to start using these new names) or Artopod? If it did, then the electrical current makes more sense than brain waves, but if mechanical units were immune, then a more biological/nerve gas type attack might work?

why not making it more simple:

a chemical substance which is fluid within the bomb and turns into a gas when it's exposed to air so that it will interfere with the neurological functioning from the brain to the body. More like: it disrupts the electromagnetical impulses in the nerves.

Also, this already exists in the army :D

Here it is, this is a really early draft, so I welcome any criticisms and suggestions.

STUN BOMB

This alien device uses advanced AI algorithms to send a countersignal to brains of the organisms in the area, and in that way puts the unfortunate recipient into a coma-like state, where they can only be revived at an medical facility, or using on of our MedPacs. Our research scientists have been able to deduce this mechanism through reverse engineering, and a detailed study of the effects of the device on assorted test subjects (horses, monkeys, lemurs, and pumas). The device has an effective range of [] meters, and the operators will have to use car as to ensure that friendly units are not affected by the stun bomb after firing. This item will prove exceedingly useful in the situations where we need to take aliens alive, as we now finally can capture ETs without having to get a foot away from them. Hopefully this will help turn the tide of this war.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been really busy with school and stuff. I hope that I'll be able to post more often now. I'm amazed at the work you guys have been able to get done in the last month, this is really crusing along!

Definitely needs to be fleshed out a bit more, and could use details galore. I like the little bit about testing it on various creatures, but like all the rest of it, you need to develop it more.

Also, the use of an advanced AI program to shut off people's brains seems a little on the iffy side. I remember hearing somehwere that we'd decided that the stun bomb was based on the sleep-inducing qualities of the Viper's venom. If that's right (and I could be way off) you'll probably want to use that instead.

Ages ago, I suggested something along the lines of stun grenades, like in Apoc, in the lab, here is all the stun stuff CTDs I came up with. Cannabalise at your leisure :D

Guest Azrael
Hey, what about a cuote from a scientist?, maybe we could even include a name from one of the scientists that the player has in the base, to flesh out a little the description, it's great when there's a short comment at the bottom, even if it's from a soldier. Just a thought.

Just did a massive overhaul. Is the story out of place here? I think it adds to the overall conspiracy feel, and the idea that X-corp is not perfect, and makes mistakes. Could, during the development of the Stun Bomb, there be a 10% chance of the base being knocked out by the stun bomb malfunction, so you have to send a SkyRanger team, and spend some money and time to get it up to speed again? Maybe if you assign a small amount of scientists to it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
STUN BOMB
This alien device uses advanced AI algorithms to send a countersignal to brains of unlucky victim, thereby incapacitating them by putting them in a coma-like state, where they can only be revived at an medical facility, [or using on of our MedPacs]. The soldier who first was hit with this bomb was thought dead by the doctors, as his comrades [too communist sounding? :D] had tried everything in their medical kits at the scene trying to revive him after the battle had ended. The soldier was pronounced dead, and a funeral was prepared back at X-corp Command Central. Fortunately, one doctor was filling out paperwork, and noticed some inconsistencies, and realized that he was not dead, but in a coma. Because of this, soldiers must now go through a much more thorough procedure upon death, and are injected with multiple stimulants, just in case.

We are now able to use this incredible technology to our advantage, as our research scientists have been able to deduce this mechanism through reverse engineering, and a detailed study of the effects of the device on assorted test subjects. These tests were conducted on rats, monkeys, gorillas, and pumas. In the first test (on the rats) the grenade sent out too strong of a signal, stunning every living thing in a 2 mile radius. This tragedy was due to the fact that the aliens had built in a defense mechanism to sabotage anyone who tried to take their technology. Once the [SkyRanger] landed at the sight, the soldiers were puzzled, as there were no aliens. No blood. No signs of a struggle. As they cleared the base, they came to a room with a single perfectly smooth sphere in the center. This of course was the stun bomb, and it took months to clean up this mess, and wake up all those knocked out. The animal population in the area has not yet fully recovered (it would have been too expensive to "wake” them), and all of the civilians that were knocked out have been offered assorted X-corp positions, from Janitor to Chef. None refused the job offer.

The device has an effective range of [] meters, and the operators will have to use extreme care as to ensure that friendly units are not afflicted by the stun bomb after firing. This item will prove exceedingly useful in the situations where we need to take aliens alive, as we now finally can capture ETs without having to get a foot away from them. Hopefully this will help turn the tide of this war. Edited by coolp

[quote]These tests were conducted on rats, monkeys, gorillas, and pumas. In the first test (on the rats) the grenade sent out too strong of a signal, stunning every living thing in a 2 mile radius.[/quote]
It sounds like they hooked that thing up directly with an alien power source. 2 miles for an experiment seems way too powerful, unless it chain-reacted with something.

So, this new stun bomb/small launcher doesn't use ammo or the ammo is reusable?

For completeness sake you should mention that, say, the bomb operates so that the electronics(or the alien equvailent of such) are destroyed when the bomb "detonates..."

[quote name='coolp' date='Mar 4 2004, 11:55 PM']comrades [too communist sounding? :D]

Once the [SkyRanger] landed at the sight,[/quote]
Comrades is fine -- soldiers talk about "camaraderie", which is based on the same word (from French).

"Sight" in this case should be "site". Sight is the ability to see, a site is a location.

Otherwise great writeup. Edited by Thalo

[quote name='Robo Dojo 58' date='Mar 5 2004, 05:19 PM'][quote]These tests were conducted on rats, monkeys, gorillas, and pumas. In the first test (on the rats) the grenade sent out too strong of a signal, stunning every living thing in a 2 mile radius.[/quote]
It sounds like they hooked that thing up directly with an alien power source. 2 miles for an experiment seems way too powerful, unless it chain-reacted with something. [/quote]
...the grenade was a little underpowered, hence the rats were still awake, although effectivity was proven since they weren't troubled by parasites no more. :)

"Fortunately, one doctor was filling out paperwork, and noticed some inconsistencies, and realized that he was not dead, but in a coma"

I'd say rather than in a coma, as coma's have lots of vital activity going on inside the body. Its just that the connections to the outside world don't work. Everything internally works fine, heart rate, pulse, brain activity, breathing and so on. Its like the concious mind has taken a long or permanent vacation from the body.

Maybe use deep catatonic state where the heart rate and vital signs are so low and slow that Doctors missed it and presumed the soldier DOA. Other than that, good stuff :)

I do like the fact that you've not used hydrostatic shock to disrupt the targets which is basically what stun grenades do in the real world.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
This CT is getting the dipstick treatment. Revel in the glorious....oh never mind, just read....

"The Stun Bomb appears to be an unremarkable piece of equipment, but it can scarcely be called ammunition, for it is crafted for many hours before, in its moment of glory, it creates an explosion that does not harm a single person, nor damage any building. This is warfare at its most effective. This is the future of the X-Corps." Head Scientist of Stun Bomb Project.

This extract from the head of the research team succinctly sums up the usefulness of this extremely powerful piece of equipment. It is used to incapacitate extraterrestrials, without having to utilise the Stun Baton, and thus, can stun aliens from medium to long range. As a tactical weapon, its usefulness should not be underestimated as it can stun several enemies with a single shot. Conversely, however, the same shot may be very ineffective. This is the only negative to this incredible weapon - there is no guarantee of success. That said, it should also be taken as given that the Stun Bomb is indescriminatory when it comes to stunning units. This means that 'friendly fire' is a distinct possibility on the battlefield.

This weapon is novel, yet foreign. This is a complete replica of an alien weapon. It is not a hybrid weapon design, but it completely taken from models captured in the field. It utilises two mechanisms to disrupt an enemy's Central Nervous System, and particularly the brain. The first is a type of audio suppressant; a low-powered ultrasound frequency is emitted from the device, and this frequency is modulated to counteract the neural activity in the target's brain. This by itself could be enough to disable a target, but another system is also used.

The second system used is a kind of fast acting toxin, which saturates the vicinity of the Stun Bomb once it impacts the target, or the ground near it. The impact triggers a low yield explosion, which accelerates the toxin's diffusion throughout the local area of the blast. As in the case of the audio suppressant, this explosion has a limited range, which is helpful considering the tactical implications of this weapon. The toxin used temporarily counteracts the voluntary nervous system, and prevents any synapses from working. This thereby renders the body in a state of paralysis.

This dual-action Stun Bomb has proved to be exceptionally effective in simulations, and on test subjects. The animals that have been subjected to this weapon took several days to wake up, but they all did wake up, except for some elderly or infirm specimens. The Stun Bomb should not be a lethal threat to our troops on the battlefield, but while unconscious, they do present an easy target for the enemy.

An interesting point that came up during trials is that the dual mechanism employed by the alien weapon is not merely to provide a failsafe, but is also a practical way of ensuring the best possible results for the weapon. It is apparent that some physiologies are able to cope with one of the above methods, but not the other. For example, rabbits were more susceptible to the audio suppressant, but were able to combat the toxin more effectively. Furthermore, in this way, if one of methods is completely disrupted, then the other becomes insignificant, and this is why our [Medikits] attempt to remedy the toxin if the patient is still conscious, but the disruptive effects of the suppressant when the patient succumbs. In this way, the patient should be treated more swiftly in combat.

This is a powerful weapon if used effectively, and should be used wherever possible to reduce civilian and military casualties, as well as to capture more aliens for research.

There are probably some discrepancies in here, because I was unsure whether I was doing the stun bomb itself, or the launcher, or what...? :blink2:

Err... I'll try to keep the proofreading to a minimum, but this CT is filled with rough sentences that while describe the item in question, does so in a jumpy manner... I cannot help but alot of the sentences can be rewriten to provide better understanding, and that a rearrangement of sentences is required to promote better understanding. This reads like your flow of conciousness...

Also,
[quote]It is used to incapacitate extraterrestrials, without having to utilise the Stun Baton, and thus, can stun aliens from medium to long range.[/quote]
Wouldn't it be much easier(and more accurate since this is an alien designed weapon) to say "This weapon is designed to stun lifeforms from a distance, and as such, removes the need to engage in melee combat as the [stun-baton] requires."

Arrgh! Gotta stop here... The more I read, the more I'm tempted to rewrite the whole thing...

Must. Keep. Rewrite. Impulse. Under. Control!

"The Stun Bomb [color="blue"]appears to be an unremarkable piece of equipment, but it can scarcely be called ammunition[/color], for it is crafted for many hours before, in its moment of glory, it creates an explosion that does not harm a single person, nor damage any building. This is warfare at its most effective. This is the future of the X-Corps." Head Scientist of Stun Bomb Project.

[color="green"]This paragraph reads very funny. First of all, you call it equipment and then ammunition, I think that mixes up things a bit. Also, ".. appears to be an unremarkable piece of equipment, but...", a "but" following that sentence should be about how in reality it is a remarkable piece of equipment (or ammo), it's a confusing sentence. It should be something like for example: "The Stun Bomb appears to be an unremarkable piece of technology, but in truth it is quite the opposite...".
The whole paragraph should be rewritten to make reading more easy, I still don't undertand what you mean by this "...for it is crafted for many hours before, in its moment of glory, it creates an explosion...". Very confusing.[/color]

This [color="blue"]extract from the head [/color]of the research team succinctly sums up the usefulness of this extremely powerful piece of equipment. It is [color="blue"]used to incapacitate extraterrestrials[/color], without having to utilise the Stun Baton, and thus, can stun [color="blue"]aliens from medium [/color]to long range. As a tactical weapon, its usefulness should not be underestimated as it can stun several enemies with a single shot. Conversely, however, the same shot may be very ineffective. This is the only negative to this incredible weapon - there is no guarantee of success. That said, it should also be taken as given that [color="blue"]the Stun Bomb is indescriminatory when it comes to stunning units. This means that 'friendly fire' is a distinct possibility on the battlefield.[/color]

[color="green"]"..extract from the head..." sounds much like you actually split open the head of a member of the research team and took out something, it read that way at first, I suggest you rewrite it into something like "These words from the Head Scientist (or Chief Scientist, or Lead Scientist..) sums up...".
The weapon actually is not used to incapacitate extraterrestrial, it is used to incapacitate all life, its original use in fact is to incapacitate terrestrials, as the aliens used it first. In fact, the original entry says it's used to capture live Humans, which is true, I suggest you include that the Aliens make use of these weapons in abductions and such to capture specimens.
The range can also be close quarters, it will most likely affect the user, but it is a possibility (imagine yourself right in the middle of a squad of Cloaks and you only have this, I'd use it right away).
Last, aren't all weapons indiscriminatory?, friendly fire is always a possibility, IMO.[/color]

This weapon [color="blue"]is novel[/color], yet foreign. [color="blue"]This is a complete replica of an alien weapon. It is not a hybrid weapon design[/color], but it completely taken from models captured in the field. It utilises two mechanisms to disrupt an [color="blue"]enemy's[/color] Central Nervous System, and particularly the brain. The first is [color="blue"]a type of audio suppressant[/color]; a low-powered ultrasound frequency is [color="blue"]emitted from the device[/color], and this frequency is modulated to counteract the neural activity in the target's brain. This [color="blue"]by itself could be enough to disable [/color]a target, but another system is also used.

[color="green"]The word "novel" there results somewhat confusing, it is a foreign weapon after all.
If it's a complete replica, then it is pretty obvious that it's not a hybrid weapon design, I think. It disrupts not only the enemy's central nervous system, but rather all lifeforms' central n. system. Also, be careful with calling it a "device", it's ammo for the stun launcher.
I'm also confused of why the first type is a low-powered ultrasound which is audio-suppressant.
You should explain, why if it's enough to disable a target, then why is there a second system.[/color]

The second system used is a kind of fast acting toxin, which saturates the vicinity of the Stun Bomb once it impacts the target, [color="blue"]or the ground near it[/color]. The impact triggers a low yield explosion, which accelerates the toxin's diffusion throughout the local area of the blast. As in the case of the audio suppressant, this explosion has a limited range, which is helpful considering the tactical implications of this weapon. The toxin used [color="blue"]temporarily counteracts the voluntary nervous[/color] system, and prevents any synapses from working. This thereby renders the body in a state of paralysis.

[color="green"]If the first system counteracts neural activity, it's not really important if the body is paralyzed or not, you can't move it at all, so I don't get the point of this system. Also, the first sentence sounds odd, it "saturates the vicinity of the stun bomb once it..., or the ground near it"? the ground mention is very very odd, i don't know.[/color]

This dual-action Stun Bomb has proved[color="blue"] to be exceptionally effective in simulations, and on test subjects[/color]. The animals that have been subjected to this weapon took several days to wake up, but they all did wake up, except for some elderly or infirm specimens. The Stun Bomb should not be a lethal threat to our troops on the battlefield, but while unconscious, they do present an easy target for the enemy.

[color="green"]First sentence, it has also proved to be exceptionally effective against our own kind...[/color]

An interesting point that came up during trials is that the dual mechanism employed by the alien weapon is not merely to provide a failsafe, but is also a practical way of ensuring the best possible results for the weapon. It is apparent that some physiologies are able to cope with one of the above methods, but not the other. For example, rabbits were more susceptible to the audio suppressant, but were able to combat the toxin more effectively. Furthermore, in this way, if one of methods is completely disrupted, then the other becomes insignificant, and this is why our [Medikits] attempt to remedy the toxin if the patient is still conscious, but the disruptive effects of the suppressant when the patient succumbs. In this way, the patient should be treated more swiftly in combat.

[color="green"]Name for Medikit is Field Medical Kit. Is it really ineffective against stun bombs?[/color]

[color="blue"]This is a powerful weapon if used effectively, and should be used wherever possible to reduce civilian and military casualties, as well as to capture more aliens for research.[/color]

[color="green"]This is not a weapon, it's ammo for the weapon.[/color]

There are probably some discrepancies in here, because I was unsure whether I was doing the stun bomb itself, or the launcher, or what...? :blink2:

[color="green"]Yes dipstick, it is very confusing at several points whether you are talking about the bomb or the weapon itself.[/color] Edited by Azrael

[color="green"]Since you don't want me to proofread your text, dipstick, I'll just have to settle for good old-fashioned paragraphs. :P

-Asty[/color]

"The Stun Bomb appears to be an unremarkable piece of equipment, but it can scarcely be called ammunition, for it is crafted for many hours before, in its moment of glory, it creates an explosion that does not harm a single person, nor damage any building. This is warfare at its most effective. This is the future of the X-Corps." Head Scientist of Stun Bomb Project.

[color="green"]Be careful that you stay consistent- talk either about the stun bomb launcher or the stum bomb ammo. The "moment of glory" phrase is pretty melodramatic, but possibly understandable from the head scientist. However, I'm not sure the quote is even necessary because the same things can be mentioned without them being said by the head scientist. The "crafted many hours before" line doesn't seem to fit- suggest deleting. The "this is warfare at its most effective" line is untrue- war tends to be a lot more lethal. The "this is the future of the X-Corps" line is also a false assertion- stun bombs will not replace other, more effective weapons. It is a specialized tool to achieve a set purpose.[/color]

This extract from the head of the research team succinctly sums up the usefulness of this extremely powerful piece of equipment. It is used to incapacitate extraterrestrials, without having to utilise the Stun Baton, and thus, can stun aliens from medium to long range. As a tactical weapon, its usefulness should not be underestimated as it can stun several enemies with a single shot. Conversely, however, the same shot may be very ineffective. This is the only negative to this incredible weapon - there is no guarantee of success. That said, it should also be taken as given that the Stun Bomb is indescriminatory when it comes to stunning units. This means that 'friendly fire' is a distinct possibility on the battlefield.

[color="green"]I think you mean "abstract" instead of "extract". The stun bomb isn't so much "powerful" as it's a "powerful/useful tool". The "it is used to incapacitate" should be "it can be used to incapacitate" because the stun bomb was not made by aliens to incapacitate aliens specifically. Suggest emphasizing the long-range stun abilities when comparing to the stun baton- longer range makes the stun bomb safer (the user doesn't have to be exposed to unnecessary risk) and more tactically useful. Suggest "area effect" instead of "stun several enemies with a single shot"- it's more concise and accurate. Suggest deleting the "conversely, however," line- the next sentence says the same thing, but should also qualify the "no guarantee of success" line- like "because success is dependent largely on the hardiness of the target(s)" or something like that. Also, consider paring down on the word "it". There is a lot of passive tense, too, making the text sound duller than it should (too many instances of forms of the verb [i]to be[/i]).[/color]

This weapon is novel, yet foreign. This is a complete replica of an alien weapon. It is not a hybrid weapon design, but it completely taken from models captured in the field. It utilises two mechanisms to disrupt an enemy's Central Nervous System, and particularly the brain. The first is a type of audio suppressant; a low-powered ultrasound frequency is emitted from the device, and this frequency is modulated to counteract the neural activity in the target's brain. This by itself could be enough to disable a target, but another system is also used.

[color="green"]The first sentence is weird... the "yet foreign" phrase can be deleted since you mention it in the next sentence. "Hybrid" also sounds weird- perhaps "multi-function"? Personally, I'd switch the mentions of the audio suppressant and the toxin. The way I see it, the toxin enters through the respiratory system (fastest and most effective area effect delivery), but for creatures without obvious respiratory systems, the audio component is a backup.[/color]

The second system used is a kind of fast acting toxin, which saturates the vicinity of the Stun Bomb once it impacts the target, or the ground near it. The impact triggers a low yield explosion, which accelerates the toxin's diffusion throughout the local area of the blast. As in the case of the audio suppressant, this explosion has a limited range, which is helpful considering the tactical implications of this weapon. The toxin used temporarily counteracts the voluntary nervous system, and prevents any synapses from working. This thereby renders the body in a state of paralysis.

[color="green"]Suggest adding "immediate" before "vicinity" in the first sentence. Hyphenate "low-yield". Suggest "dispersion" instead of "diffusion"- diffusion is a passive process; using explosive aids is active. Suggest "impairs" or "suppresses" instead of "counteracts"- it's not really acting counter to the nervous system. Suggest "relevant" instead of "any" and suggest "from firing" or "from functioning" instead of "from working"- they are more specific.[/color]

This dual-action Stun Bomb has proved to be exceptionally effective in simulations, and on test subjects. The animals that have been subjected to this weapon took several days to wake up, but they all did wake up, except for some elderly or infirm specimens. The Stun Bomb should not be a lethal threat to our troops on the battlefield, but while unconscious, they do present an easy target for the enemy.

[color="green"]Delete the comma after "simulations". The second sentence is cumbersome. Suggest: "Test subjects were rendered unconscious for periods from xx hours to xx days, and all but the most infirm emerged unharmed from their state of induced inanimation/inactivity." The third sentence is also unwieldy. Suggest: "Despite the fact that the stun bomb is generally sublethal, care should be taken to avoid friendly fire, since unconscious units are easy targets for the enemy."[/color]

[color="green"]Imho, parts of this paragraph can be streamlined: "The dual knock-out systems of the stun bomb appear to have been designed with optimal suppressive ability in mind. Because some physiologies seem more resistant one method than the other, having the two work in tandem is a brilliant stroke significantly increasing the efficiency of the stun bomb." or something. The Medikit sentences are really confusing- I don't understand what you're getting at- it needs a lot of clarification.[/color]

This is a powerful weapon if used effectively, and should be used wherever possible to reduce civilian and military casualties, as well as to capture more aliens for research.

[color="green"]Suggest changing "wherever possible" (overstatement) to "in situations where civilian casualties are unacceptable" or something. Delete "more"- it's already implied.

Well, there you have it, dipstick. Hopefully, these comments will help. :) [/color] Edited by Astyanax

hmmm... this whole text sounds like a secondary report about the XCorps capability to [i]replicate[/i] the weapon instead of a research report on the thing. usually, the CTD entry is what you get when you have researched something, so the general intention of the text should be "we have just analyzed this weird thing and it is made up of A, it does B and could probably be used for C. oh, and by the way, we can now replicate it using D."

other than that, the text is cool. I like the ideas in there :)

• 2 months later...

Hmm, am I allowed to used the main text, but to change its technology entirely?

I'm thinking of using the Xenium effect (I think Xenium is used to make it, isn't it?) to transform the kinetic energy of the atoms into electricity. If the kinetic energy decreases considerably, the temperature drops too. So the stunning effect will come from freezing cold and electric shocks. Those insulated thermally and electrically (like mechanical drones) might have some resistance to it.

Let's start all over: Xenium interacts with atoms stopping them from their Brownian movement, generating thousands of volts instead through charge separation->cold, electricity->strong stunning effect.

I'm not really for a mental paralyzing effect, but rather muscles and matter in general.

Again, I can try to preserve most of the text, if it fits with the new tech.

What do you think? Would be a too much transformation?

If I recall correctly, stun bombs don't require Elerium for its manufacture in Xcom 1?

They don't? Hmm, I play too much TFTD, and I'm almost sure those thermal bombs require Zrbite. Oh well... how about liquid helium combined with ionized atoms for the electrical shock?

Guest Azrael
I don't remember requiring Elerium, but again, I never did get very far in that game :D (none of the 200 times I tried to play it)

I don't remember requiring Elerium, but again, I never did get very far in that game :D (none of the 200 times I tried to play it)

NFK agrees, Xenium must be used for its production.

So, what do you think of my original idea? (post #25)

Edited by dan2

Hey dan2, NKF has answered your post- it took 1 Elerium per bomb. I think that incorporating Xenium into the text is a great idea! :D

However, I'm a little worried that your explanation is too technical. While Xenium is a wonder-material, is there a way to apply its existing properties in the stun bomb before adding another miraculous property? For example, it's gravitic property, warping space-time, "Another powerful property of Xenium 122 is its ability to give off a charge. This charge gathers at the magnetic poles of the field and can be drawn off to create a constant supply of electricity", radiation emission, etc.

Perhaps one of these properties could be combined with another object to create the stun effect? Or maybe Xenium is just the power source for a certain reaction?

wern't the stun bombs/launchers made by the Vipers? Or is that just my insane ramblings? In that case it could simply be dissolved Viper poison?

But I am in no possition to radically change stuff.

These are not the suggestions you're looking for.

You don't need to see my clearification.

Move along.

wern't the stun bombs/launchers made by the Vipers? Or is that just my insane ramblings? In that case it could simply be dissolved Viper poison?

But I am in no possition to radically change stuff.

These are not the suggestions you're looking for.

You don't need to see my clearification.

Move along.

That's not true, I'm interested in what you have to say.

Vipers? Stun launchers and bombs can be used by many other aliens, if I remember right.

I won't vote for poison alone, because some substances can paralyse some organisms while having no effect on others. Deep cold and electricity should have wider effects and xenium should be used for those effects.

If you have any ideas, please, expose them, that why we have these forums, to discuss

I think it came from me making up a backstory for the vipers. And this came in.

The vipers have a poison, that is very effective in knocking out enemies - however: It needs to be strengthened synthetically. The poison target the brain specificly - nothing else. It goes in, and turns off what makes you go, and DOWN you go, untill the effect passes out.

Hmmm.... plausable explaination...

Okay - the poison itself can penetrate your defences easily, but it doesn't cary anything that can kill you - that's why it needs to be strengthened. The Vipers do something.... let me think... hmmm, makes it generate it's own electrical field? That could work. When it reaches the nerve system in the spine of your body, it enitiates, generates a small electrical field, that cuts off the head from the rest of the body effectively. Quite a bit of it also travels up into the brain, causing lack of brain function, and general dizzyness. Although - if not hit dirrectly, or in a posession of a very cappable mind - it might not hit enough to 'severe' all the electrical pulses going out of your body, and effectivly failing in making you fall back paralyzed. Although you would begin to feel drowzy from the stuff that is in your brain.

Nothings permenent, the poison will lose most of it's own heat, which will result in your defense systems going in and remove it.

I know it's radical, it's only my idea on the story :) The Vipers used these weapons effectively during their own war with the Overmind.

Edited by mikker

Well, maybe we can find a way to include all three: paralyzing venom, low temperatures and electric shocks.

Though replicating venom (by engineers) might prove difficult, it might worth a try :)

Nobody touched it for two days and Azrael said whoever wants it to take a shot. I'd like to start all over if I'm allowed to (I love to start all over :) ).

Stun Bomb

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/StunBomb

Required as ammo for the Stun Launcher, this relatively small object, named simply Stun Bomb, was designed by aliens as a very efficient device to incapacitate humans from a distance. While the exterior of the Stun Bomb seems made of organic-like material, the inside compartments contain Xenium and some other chemicals, all in combination required to render the victim motionless, but also to prevent its death.

The outer layer is made of chemicals that proved to be a very efficient vasodilator, its effect being involved in speeding up the heat-loss process in humans. When the Stun Bomb is launched, as soon as the outer shell touches a hard surface, the interior layers that separate the chemicals inside tears and the sudden reaction disperses most of the active compounds over a large area.

As soon as the dispersed Xenium comes in contact with one of the chemicals found inside the Stun Bomb, a very special effect starts to take place. The relative velocity of the atoms in close proximity with Xenium decreases dramatically, which is the equivalent of a sudden drop of temperature. The decrease of movement is rather selective, ions being more affected than electrons, thus also a big electrostatic charge separation occur simultaneously with the temperature drop.

Thus, the victim muscles get incapacitated by both freezing cold and sudden electric shocks strong enough to make even an elephant shake uncontrollably. The vasodilator compounds amplify the effect, by maintaining blood vessels open, but at the same time they prevent the growth of ice crystals inside the blood and tissues, which is the main cause of cell damage leading to death by cold.

Some other chemicals seem to be taken by the blood flow toward the central nervous system, where they decrease the amplitude of the brainwaves and induce sleepiness, rendering the victim calm and inoffensive.

Even if the aliens might have a very different biochemistry from us, the freezing cold and the electrical shocks will be effective against any unprotected lifeform, which lead to the conclusion that such weapon can be used with relative succes in capturing live aliens without the need to expose our soldiers to the dangers of using Stun Batons.

"Corporal, how many times I told you not to use Stun Bombs to make my ice tea?"-Sergeant Montgomery

Edited by dan2

• 2 weeks later...

By this CTD, Anti-Grav Powersuits would completely nullify the effects of Stun Bombs. If these suits allow humans to survive on the harsh cold Mars landscape, they should be able to protect against the temperature drop created by a Stun Bomb. Also, Greys can survive on Mars without extra protection, meaning these devices will be useless against them, too.

I rather like the dual-action description, especially the electrical part. It would help explain why a single Stun Bomb can kill a Sectopod or Cyberdisk in the original game. This should stay (unless we're not implamenting the 1-hit KO with Stun Bombs" thing on Terror Disks and Artopods?).

The other part of the dual-action description will obviously be Viper venom, or a substance concocted from it. I'm pretty sure that's already been decided. Anyway, autism involves little. . .thingies on the ends of the nerve receptors (or whatever they're called) in the brain, preventing the firing of certain nerves from being detected. Maybe the Viper poison could do this on a temporary basis? Enzymes similar to gene repressors would latach on, and feed off the brain's electricity as these nerves fire uselessly. The victim's subconcious would eventually give itself up for dead, turning off the flow of electricity in the brain. However, this would cause the enzymes or nanorganisms or whatever to starve, destroying them. At this point, the victim would regain conciousness, having no memory of the time while it/he/she was unconcious.

• 4 months later...

Hmm, I would think that this CT suggests that the stun bomb is only effective against pure lifeforms, ie not Cyberdiscs and the like - though I suppose they would be short circuited by electrical impulses...

I would tend to stray away from Xenium here to be honest, as this 'fantastic' thing is being made to have so many properties it is unrealistic now.

I am going to cook up something...

Right, as promised :D

I gave myself a biochem lesson researching this one. I enjoyed it immensely.

That said, mad, and moriarty. Anything that I have put on an unstable scientific foundation, feel free to pick apart at your leisure ;)

[stun Bomb]

'This unremarkable sphere, devoid of any obvious markings, has the potential to turn the tide in this war.' - Head Scientist of the Stun Bomb Project.

This succinct desciption of the [stun Bomb] is very effective, because there is very little to distinguish it from, say, a football, but it is a very effective piece of ammunition. It is capable of stunning any known organism within its blast radius, and keeping them unconscious for the duration of a battle.

The [stun Bomb] targets any neural systems that it can detect, and incapacitates them in two different, but equally effective methods. The first interrupts normal synaptic activity, particularly in the Central Nervous System and throughout the Sypmathetic Nervous System. This means that all conscious ability to move is temporarily inhibited to the point of total paralyisis. This is caused by a fast acting nerve agent which is spread throughout the blast radius by a small, xenium-produced explosion, which is triggered on impact of the [stun Bomb] on any solid surface. The concoction used by the aliens is unrecognisable to our biochemical engineers, thus a derivative of Kolokol-1 has been used in its place.

Both chemicals work by inhibiting the breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. The net result of this is paralysis and coma. The chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, and via inhalation, and the estimated time that is takes to incapcitate an enemy is 1-3 seconds. As with all nerve agents, continued exposure to the gas causes cumulative effects. Thus, if the initial blast is insufficent to paralyse an enemy, the presence of the gas could overwhelm them although the gas disperses within seconds. This time is about average for nerve agents, as there is no liquid stage in the production of the gas.

The second anti-personnel weapon employed by the device is an audio suppressant. This high-frequency sound is modulated to precisely interfere with a significant proportion of neural activity in the brains of living organisms.

The pair of systems utilised by the [stun Bomb] are surprising because they are complementary. For example, rabbits were more susceptible to the audio suppressant, but less so to the toxin. This implies that the two systems act as a double-safety, and that it was known by the developers that some species had a natural immunity to one or other of the systems, yet when tests were conducted on how best to counteract the effects of the [stun Bomb] it became evident that only one of the effects had to be totally overcome before the subject regained consciousness. This is significant because when on the field, the [Medikits] will automatically try to disrupt the audio suppressant's effects if the subject is unconscious (ie 'restart the brain'), but if the subject is conscious, the effects of the toxin will be treated. This is because in humans, the audio suppressant only becomes effective when the toxin has had a sufficient effect to enable the suppressant to begin deactivating the brain.

It is not known how effective these systems will be on alien lifeforms, but it is theorised that the aliens will be just as susceptible to this weapon as we are. This is drawn from the fact that it is effective against us. The mechanisms employed are not species-specific, thus it can be determined that they will work, at least at some extent, to all organisms that the X-Corps will face.

Edited by dipstick

Right, hands to the job then.

--------

[stun Bomb]

'This unremarkable sphere, devoid of any obvious markings, has the potential to turn the tide in this war.'  - Head Scientist of the Stun Bomb Project.

Fluff at the bottom :)

This succinct desciption of the [stun Bomb] is very effective, because there is very little to distinguish it from, say, a football, but it is a very effective piece of ammunition.  It is capable of stunning any known organism within its blast radius, and keeping them unconscious for the duration of a battle.

I don't think "effective" is the right term here, maybe "accurate"?

Also, there shouldn't be a direct mention of the fluff in the report, the fluff is kinda an extra, so no "this succint desciption is...", plus once the fluff is at the bottom, it'll make no sense, maybe something (just a suggestion, don't take it :P) "We have completed the research on the strange sphere that was brought from the battlefield, an unremarkable sphere that does not hint its real power, this small piece of Alien technology has made our Stun Batons obsolete", something like that, whatever "rocks" your boat :P

The [stun Bomb] targets any neural systems that it can detect, and incapacitates them in two different, but equally effective methods.  The first interrupts normal synaptic activity, particularly in the Central Nervous System and throughout the Sypmathetic Nervous System.  This means that all conscious ability to move is temporarily inhibited to the point of total paralyisis.  This is caused by a fast acting nerve agent which is spread throughout the blast radius by a small, xenium-produced explosion, which is triggered on impact of the [stun Bomb] on any solid surface.  The concoction used by the aliens is unrecognisable to our biochemical engineers, thus a derivative of Kolokol-1 has been used in its place.

Does the bomb actually detect neural systems or does it simply affect all that are within the blast radius? I find more likely the latter.

Also, what is Kolokol-1? if you mention it, you should explain it for the ignorants like me :) (I think you do in the following pargraph, but a brief sentence should be here as well, saying at least that it is a chemical agent that makes x and y)

Both chemicals work by inhibiting the breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.  The net result of this is paralysis and coma.  The chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, and via inhalation, and the estimated time that is takes to incapcitate an enemy is 1-3 seconds.  As with all nerve agents, continued exposure to the gas causes cumulative effects.  Thus, if the initial blast is insufficent to paralyse an enemy, the presence of the gas could overwhelm them although the gas disperses within seconds.  This time is about average for nerve agents, as there is no liquid stage in the production of the gas.

I agree on paralysis, but coma? I feel that is too extreme.

What does the average time have to do with liquid stages?

The second anti-personnel weapon employed by the device is an audio suppressant.  This high-frequency sound is modulated to precisely interfere with a significant proportion of neural activity in the brains of living organisms. 

Hmm, audio suppressant seems like it... suppresses sounds, so it seems contradictory with the following sentence. Also, "weapon" is certainly not the right word there, maybe mechanism? method? system?

The pair of systems utilised by the [stun Bomb] are surprising because they are complementary.  For example, rabbits were more susceptible to the audio suppressant, but less so to the toxin.  This implies that the two systems act as a double-safety, and that it was known by the developers that some species had a natural immunity to one or other of the systems, yet when tests were conducted on how best to counteract the effects of the [stun Bomb] it became evident that only one of the effects had to be totally overcome before the subject regained consciousness.  This is significant because when on the field, the [Medikits] will automatically try to disrupt the audio suppressant's effects if the subject is unconscious (ie 'restart the brain'), but if the subject is conscious, the effects of the toxin will be treated.  This is because in humans, the audio suppressant only becomes effective when the toxin has had a sufficient effect to enable the suppressant to begin deactivating the brain.

"are surprising..." I think a word is missing there, maybe "surprisingly effective...", as they can be surprising for their very nature, how they work, but no because they are complementary, doesn't sound correct.

"restart the brain" doesn't sound good, it sounds too much fantastic. It is not clear why only one of the effects has to be overcome and not the two of them, this seems to be explained at the last sentence, but it's still unclear, the toxin becomes inactive when the audio suppressant acts?

It is not known how effective these systems will be on alien lifeforms, but it is theorised that the aliens will be just as susceptible to this weapon as we are.  This is drawn from the fact that it is effective against us.  The mechanisms employed are not species-specific, thus it can be determined that they will work, at least at some extent, to all organisms that the X-Corps will face.

Well, they don't really know if it will work on all of them, it cannot be infered from the fact that it works on us :)

You forgot to explain why it works on robots (it works on them, right?)

• 1 month later...

In preparation for a revision, here are my comments on anything bar phraseology, grammar etc:

Both chemicals work by inhibiting the breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.  The net result of this is paralysis and coma.  The chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, and via inhalation, and the estimated time that is takes to incapcitate an enemy is 1-3 seconds.  As with all nerve agents, continued exposure to the gas causes cumulative effects.  Thus, if the initial blast is insufficent to paralyse an enemy, the presence of the gas could overwhelm them although the gas disperses within seconds.  This time is about average for nerve agents, as there is no liquid stage in the production of the gas.

I agree on paralysis, but coma? I feel that is too extreme.

What does the average time have to do with liquid stages?

IIRC Coma would result from synaptic interference, but I suspect that the involuntary nervous system would also be inhibited, so death would result, I need to think this through a bit more.

The second anti-personnel weapon employed by the device is an audio suppressant.  This high-frequency sound is modulated to precisely interfere with a significant proportion of neural activity in the brains of living organisms. 

Hmm, audio suppressant seems like it... suppresses sounds, so it seems contradictory with the following sentence. Also, "weapon" is certainly not the right word there, maybe mechanism? method? system?

I would also have to rethink this one again, upon reflection, a high pitched audio suppressor would be rather fanciful at best... <_>

It is not known how effective these systems will be on alien lifeforms, but it is theorised that the aliens will be just as susceptible to this weapon as we are.  This is drawn from the fact that it is effective against us.  The mechanisms employed are not species-specific, thus it can be determined that they will work, at least at some extent, to all organisms that the X-Corps will face.

Well, they don't really know if it will work on all of them, it cannot be infered from the fact that it works on us

You forgot to explain why it works on robots (it works on them, right?)

Well, I suppose that need to be reworded - but it does not work on robots...

It worked on the reaper, but that was an animal, was it not? I do not recall it working on a Cyberdisc...

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, a new version. I forget what number we are up to now, but here we are. Feel free to take to pieces as you wish etc etc.

The Stun Bomb is a unique device, as it is not only designed to incapacitate enemies as opposed to kill them, but it is additionally designed to disable multiple opponents simultaneously.

The Stun Bomb is a remarkable piece of ammunition, though technically it is a self-contained grenade. It is simply a case constructed of Alien Alloys, in which resides the potent neurotoxin. Although the active ingredient is a toxin, it is not designed to kill. As far as Terran biochemistry allows, the device has been analysed but the exact chemicals are alien; we have determined their effects through careful experimentation.

The precise constituents of the serum, which vaporise when the casing explodes, are either inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Breathing apparatus and protective suits (even a Level One Biohazard suit) seem to be very ineffective against them. The effects of the serum are not fully understood, but the evidence suggests that the serum is able to manipulate the neurological function of any living organism it comes across. Specifically, it is theorised that the molecules are able to interact with the synaptic chemicals, throughout the nervous system, except in the autonomic nervous system. How this occurs is widely disputed, but the most popular idea is that there is a specific neurotransmitter that is not found in the autonomic nervous system, and so the inhibition of this neurotransmitter paralyses the enemy, and renders it unconscious, yet does not harm the sympathetic or parasympathetic elements of the nervous system, which allows the enemy to live.

An illustration of this is a cholinergic synapse (one of the most common found in a human). In this instance, the neurotransmitter is acetylcholine. It causes one neuron to be able to pass on an electrical signal to the next by reacting with special receptor molecules on the postsynaptic neuron. In addition, it gets broken down by acetyl cholinesterase after it has performed its function because if this were not the case then it would cause the neuron to continually fire, which would be problematic.

When the Stun Bomb is fired at an enemy, the agents in the serum inhibit the ACh from binding to the receptors. It is unknown whether the effects are caused by allosteric modulation of the neurotransmitter, or by some other method involving the postsynaptic neurone.

It is even possible that the myelinated areas of nerves are inhibited to the point of inoperability by the molecular interference of the Nodes of Ranvier, which, when healthy allow depolarisation of the neurones to initiate and induce an action potential. This is the reverse of the disease Multiple Sclerosis, which also interferes with the myelinated neurones.

Aside from the operational unknowns about this weapon, it is also unknown how the chemicals are able to work on a range of alien life forms. For example, it is unlikely that this weapon was designed specifically for human physiology and biochemoneurology. This is substantiated with the animal testing that was conducted. The majority of animals reacted in an identical way as a human would. The only exceptions were animals of much greater stamina and strength to humans, such as elephants and lions. Therefore, when used tactically, it is advised to calculate the strength of the alien life forms before committing on a course of action. It may be preferable to use a conventional weapon first in order to injure the alien before stunning it. Additionally, there is no guarantee that the weapon will stun every alien life form upon impact.

Meteorological conditions must be factored in as well as potential resistance to the weapon. Hence, although this is an exceptionally important weapon, it should not be exclusively relied upon; it is not totally effective, nor easy and quick to operate in the heat of battle.

The effects of the Stun Bomb are effectively counteracted by the standard medical kit. According to experiments undertaken, the medikits need no revisions or updates to their normal contents due to normal operation procedures.

Finally, the Stun Bomb, despite its alien contents, can be replicated to exacting standards, thus it is merely a matter of finding sufficient quantities of Alien Alloys and Xenium-122 to provide structure and power.

'Stun Bombs are NOT to be used to stun animals for banquets' - Head Chef, London Base

hmmm... I'd skip the part about cholinergic synapses and the like. that's far too much detail for a text about a weapon system.

also, I believe it is called "autonomous nerve system"?

the explanation of why biohazard suits are ineffective is also very... absent. perhaps at least say something likethis: "through an effect we do not understand as of yet, the stun bomb appears to be able to spread the neurotoxin over a precise area of effect almost instantaneously, even through armor and tough skin. perhaps the xenium found inside is responsible for this."

(this would also nicely explain why the h.e.l.l. you need xenium for its production... walls and the like would stop the effect because they are thicker than armor)

The Stun Bomb is a unique device, as it is not only designed to incapacitate enemies as opposed to kill them, but it is additionally designed to disable multiple opponents simultaneously.

I’m not sure this works, its called a stun bomb, so obviously it effects a area, and a area affect obviously effects everyone inside the area. I don’t think you need to emphasise that.

its not unique for a gass grenade to be able to dissabl multiple targets.

hmmm... I'd skip the part about cholinergic synapses and the like. that's far too much detail for a text about a weapon system.

also, I believe it is called "autonomous nerve system"?

the explanation of why biohazard suits are ineffective is also very... absent. perhaps at least say something likethis: "through an effect we do not understand as of yet, the stun bomb appears to be able to spread the neurotoxin over a precise area of effect almost instantaneously, even through armor and tough skin. perhaps the xenium found inside is responsible for this."

(this would also nicely explain why the h.e.l.l. you need xenium for its production... walls and the like would stop the effect because they are thicker than armor)

Noted, I was trying to give some background, but I think you are right..theres background, and there's background.....

Also, the 'absent' stuff I left because I couldn't think of a specific way of getting round it, without going off too much on a tangent. I will need to think about it.

I’m not sure this works, its called a stun bomb, so obviously it effects a area, and a area affect obviously effects everyone inside the area. I don’t think you need to emphasise that.

its not unique for a gass grenade to be able to dissabl multiple targets.

True enough, yet this DOES have to be highlighted to the player because there are no other weapons in the game that have both these properties. You can say that the autocannon and BB have multiple targetting ability, but they kill, and in the case of the BB, quite effectively too ;)

How this occurs is widely disputed, but the most popular idea is that there is a specific neurotransmitter that is not found in the autonomic nervous system, and so the inhibition of this neurotransmitter paralyses the enemy, and renders it unconscious, yet does not harm the sympathetic or parasympathetic elements of the nervous system, which allows the enemy to live.

I don't comment much on CTD work as you're all doing a fine job at it, but this is one damn loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong sentence you've got there :)

• 5 months later...

*bump* and questions:

So, this thing is now assigned to me, I guess. Meaning that I will be venturing outward from my beloved plasma and into the realm of things I know nothing about.

First, then, my summary of the situation. I've read through all of this, and it looks to me like there were five or six authors with different ideas of what was supposed to go on. We've got Xeni-Freezers, iStunners, Neurotoxins, and something from Vipers. Maybe some other stuff that I couldn't think up a funny name for or forgot. So what makes this thing tick? I'm planning on thinking something up, but in reality I'm fairly uncreative (heh, I work in CTD and I'm not creative...).

Question 1: are any of the original authors (a pretty nice selection of old-school CTD members, I have to say) still wanting this thing?

Question 2: do we have anything about this in the Viper text now (I'll try to look, but I suck at searching)?

Question 3: Anyone have a wizz-bang idea for how to involve Xenium (it does take one Xenium per bomb) in this thing without suggesting additional properties. And to make it so we can't easily replace it?

Question 1: are any of the original authors (a pretty nice selection of old-school CTD members, I have to say) still wanting this thing?

Well, if you are assigned it, just assume nobody wants it anymore. :)

Question 3: Anyone have a wizz-bang idea for how to involve Xenium (it does take one Xenium per bomb) in this thing without suggesting additional properties.  And to make it so we can't easily replace it?

Off the top of my head, perhaps the Xenium is the source of antimatter for the "explosion".

- Zombie

I think the xenium with its space-bending properties might be the means of spreading the "stunning stuff". note that I do not speak of a toxin... whatever we finally use, it has to be able to stun not only humans and human-like aliens, but also insect-like aliens, reptile-like aliens and even silicon-based aliens.

if you use the xenium to explain how the "stunning stuff" is spread, or rather materialized/teleported to any point in a certain region of space, we also have a nice explanation of how it can stun soldiers in heavy armor (you know, the kind of heavy armor that protects them on mars, in the final mission.

another thing you might want to include in your considerations is that at a not-to-far-after-V1 point in time, Xenocide might want to finish what Xcomutil did for XCom1/XCom2: it might become a game that features normal and underwater combat, so the stun bomb would best be something that works underwater, too. again, if the xenium somehow teleports the "stunning stuff" around, this might do the trick.

:)