Apoc Crashing To Desktop In Win2k

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Prunk_*

Guest_Prunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2003 - 04:24 PM

After a few frustrating hours, I finally managed to get Apocalypse to install from my CD using a DOSBox. However, this only permits the 60MB installation.

If I run setup and Apocalypse using VDMSound I get as far as the intro, then I get a flashing cursor top left and it crashes back to the desktop. According to the bug FAQ this is a common problem. I followed the steps in the FAQ but now when I run XCOM3.BAT I don't even get as far as the intro (with or without VDMSound).

In truth, I am not sure that I am implementing x3cdfix properly. I am hoping that some kind soul out there will spell out what I should do in words of one syllable ...

Do I need the mouse and svga fixes? I have tried various combinations and nothing seems to work.

I am running Win2k on an Athlon 2000 with an Audigy sound card. Help will be much appreciated :blink:

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:43 AM

I've been using "x3cdfix" as I can't find "xcom3crk.zip". Perhaps this is my problem? Could some kind soul please tell me where I can find xcom3crk.zip ... :wacko:

#3 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:06 PM

x3cdfix requires you to have the full installation (200Mb), why are you unable to do a full install?
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#4 Guest_Prunk_*

Guest_Prunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:26 AM

When I try to install normally I get the files/buffers error. I couldn't seem to fix it by editing config.sys using sysedit. The only way I have been able to get the game to install at all is by running install.exe from within DOSBox. However, it says I only have 100MB space available on my hard drive and won't let me do the full install. I tried to mimic the full install by copying all of the files from XCOM3 on the CD to my game directory. Then I use "x3cdfix" and "mouse2kv" and the graphics patches. Once I've done all this it won't even get as far as the intro <_<

Can you suggest a possible fix for me to do a full install?

#5 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:04 AM

Why didn't editing the config.sys work? Aren't you able to just ignore the buffer error and continue with the install? What happens when you 'can't even get to the intro'?
Posted Image

#6 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:06 AM

Hmm, My buffers says 40/0 and I can still run the game (Plays well too!) :D
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#7 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:13 AM

Hmm, My buffers says 40/0 and I can still run the game (Plays well too!) :D

yep, same here :) . also, just noticed the incorrect hard drive space info has nothing to do with dosbox, you'll have to delete something or move something to a different hard drive and hope the installer will then detect enough :) .
Posted Image

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2003 - 12:27 PM

When I try to install normally I get the 40/0 files/buffers error. When I try to proceed with the installation, it gets as far as the screen saying it will install to c:\xcoma then crashes to the desktop.

I edited config.sys to show 20 files and buffers, but after rebooting the 40/0 error still occurs. I really don't know why :unsure:

When I use the various fixes and try to launch the game with a "doctored" batch file, I just get a black screen with a white cursor top left.

#9 Guest_Prunk_*

Guest_Prunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:32 PM

MUA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I decided that I wasn't gonna get anywhere with Win2k, so I sat down with my trusty screwdriver and two broken PC's ... two hours later I have a working PC with a Win95/Win2k dual boot!!

However, I can't get sound to work in the game although it's working fine in Windows. It's a nasty AC'97 on-board thingy with Soundblaster emulation. Any ideas how I can get it work - or even how I can find out the settings (220-7-1 or whatever)?

#10 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:35 PM

Well, wouldn't the autodetect work under win95? Otherwise, you could try the win95/98/Me version of VDMSound, although it's still experimental....
Posted Image

#11 Guest_Prunk_*

Guest_Prunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:30 PM

After all that, I managed to get Apocalypse working under Win2k on the "new" PC ... I think it's because I was able to do a full install under Win95.

However, I have figured out how to mount a drive in DOSBos with enough space for me to do a full install. Let's see if I can get it working on my main PC. I'll report back with the final verdict.

Mind you, whatever happens now, at least I can play again! :rock:

#12 Mark0

Mark0

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

Xcom crack has been added in the 1st post of the thread: Apocalypse works Win2k

sorry for being late to add it :wacko:

Edited by Mark0, 02 November 2003 - 03:56 PM.

#13 Guest_Prunk_*

Guest_Prunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:10 AM

Hmm, I managed to do a full install but for some reason it still won't run under Win2k on my main PC, but will work under Win2k on my "cobbled together" PC ... curiouser and curiouser :huh:

Let me try that other crack ...

#14 Guest_Prunk_*

Guest_Prunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:00 PM

Still can't get it to work on my "proper" PC :cussing:

Mind you, I've decided to cut my losses and just play the bloody game :LOL:

Thanks to all who posted, particularly j'ordos ...

Reply to this topic