XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xplosion Range

Judge_Deadd

Hey -

Perhaps just having a "training mode" would be better. Could either be completely dependant from the actual game your playing, or we could tie it in so that the soilders you train with get better stats and experience. I don't think it would be wise to add that to actual battles however.

Creating a "training" ground should be a peice of cake though...

Gold

Noooooo!!! That takes all the fun away. It should be a surprise when you have just researched a new alien crenade and you toss it to aliens feet.. I remember when I first time did that, I just couldn't wait to press the "hidden movement" button to see what happens ^_^

So keep the surprises, and it could be difficult to make anyway. For example if you throw it near a wall, it should reduce the range of explosion to that direction for few squares, or if you throw it to the forest, it would show the blast radius and all the woods are making it too hard..

I was thinking you could have it show an 'area of effect' ring as you're aiming with a grenade-toss action, but Nyyperoid makes a good point about obstructions. That would make for a messy ring if there's obstacles to calculate. Perhaps a good compromize would be to list the 'effective damage range' or something like that in the X-Net stats? Even if it's alien tech, you figure the scientists or engineers would have tested the results of using the item, and could give you a general idea of how far away the blast damage extends. Since there won't be a fixed grid in the battlescape, you'd still have to guesstimate how far the damage will go in actual use.

How about with the training range, you can only train with weapons that have been researched thus far in your game. Add to that the X-Net info your research has provided and you can actually get some experience at converting "what the brains think" into "how I can not kill myself".

I also like the idea of a range, cause lets say your bored or want to practice a specific situation...this would allow you to do so with out loosing good men and women.

Gold

You could also set the training facility up so that when you're in it, the weapons use paint balls or something like that, so you don't waste ammo? "Why'd my soldier die! The blaster bomb didn't spray paint that far during simulations!... oh, maybe elerium has more kick..." :D

So the training range would be something like the Construct in the Matrix? You "program" the scenario (bringing up a specific battlescape) and then move your soldiers through it to test weapons using dummy ammo, which has the same range-area of effect, but doesn't rip things apart. Equivalent to the Holodeck in StartrekTNG.

Hey -

Yup, thats exactly it. But you can only train in environments and with equipment that you've researched/acquired/produced. And against aliens that you've encountered. I, personally, find it apealing to have somewhat of a QuickBattle option so that if your just in a tactical mood you can go right to a BattleScape. Plus...training, training, training. Can never get too much.

Gold

"Today's training in the arena will be special for you troops. Our scientists have just completed their torture, er, research into the muton commander we catured last week. We tossed him in the arena this morning with a toy gun. You'll notice you're sporting live ammo today. Any questions?" :devillaugh:

Now you'd have something useful to do with those live aliens after research is complete!

I have to be the voice of opposition here. If we have a good tutorial in the manual we won't need a training mode.

It also goes against the spirit of the game to include any kind of training. The soldiers are supposed to come from highly trained military backgrounds and they know that throwing a grenade at their feet will hurt even if the player doesn't.

As we're keeping the game similar to the original, anyone who's played it will have no problem playing xenocide.

I'd say if you want to train do it in a new game on beginner level, learn by playing and enjoy the experience. Then when you've got the hang of it play at a higher level. It shouldn't be a case of playing it to beat the game on the first shot at it. There are too many games like that around already. Xcom was all about playing and playing until you got good enough to beat it, what good will it be if we handhold the player though it so they can kill it in 30+ hours. I'd hate all our two plus years of work we're going to put into it be wasted by people coming along saying 'it was so easy I beat it in two days'. I want people coming back in 10 plus years saying I never knew this feature was included, just like we're doing with the original.

Xcom never had handholding and I really think it would be a big mistake to include one. Our target audience isn't the console market where they don't have the braincells to figure out what six buttons do.

As for figuring out what each of the weapons do in game, isn't that what the load and save game button's are for?

If you haven't guessed I really dislike the patronising handholding most games give nowdays. Some even go as far as making you play the first level as a training level (one of the most annoying was the last tomb raider game I played where it kept interupting my fun by explaining what buttons to press :angry: )

I'm sure the manual will have a good tutorial in it and if we really need an in game tutorial lets not make it a this button does this have you got it? Would you like it to explained again or can I play the game for you?

Rant over :) We now return you to your usual programming.

NO TRAINING. You gotta be kidding me. I totally agree with Nyperrion, half of the fun of new shuckeroonies is testing it in combat. It's the same reason that rookies are so easy to mind control and you always have to keep an upper ranking officer near them. You the player are just as inexpierenced as these guys. When you nail a guy with one shot from a plasma and they go down, its refreshing after getting your donkey kicked using bullets. Alien grenades going off three times the size of an old grendade and killing 5 of your guys is awsome. No training, I think its an added element that really changes some of the basic chemistry of the orignal.

Ok, ok, ok.

We could just write range of every xplosion device at Xenopedia. That won't need training mode (hey, better move on to another thread with it - this one is about range marking!, not about training zones!)