XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alien Equipment Ideas!

Aliens should have medics too (ones that actually use medkits). But the kits should do different things:

-Frenzon: alien throws down his gun and attacks nearest human in melee combat. Double Health and Strength Stats, and make immune to morale failure. This represents the noxious chemicals driving the alien to the brink of insanity and superhuman feats! However, they die at the end of the mission, so if they are captured, you gain no research options. Obviously valuable aliens cannot be targets of frenzon. You'd never see an ethereal commander going toe-to-toe with your agents!

Other equipment:

-Watchers: little floating balls that cannot attack you, but alert your location to other aliens. Perhaps increase the enemy shooters' accuracy?

-Armor: far from an original idea, but I must once again stress it.

-Terror Weapons: Some weapons should "damage" morale with shots. Kind of like "shock and awe". Most people will probably jump on me and say that regular shots already do this, or that mind control already does this, but I'm thinking of this as being an advanced weapon that causes mass hysteria!

-Has anyone even thought of automated defenses for the UFO's themselves? How about a self-destruct on the power sources to ruin your beautiful haul of Elerium-115?

-Psi resistant helmets would be a nice touch to go with armor. Some aliens need it bad.

- How about alien booby traps? A vigilant player should be able to spot and disarm them, but the aliens should at least TRY to protect their vessels!

Those are quite a bit of ideas. I'm looking forward to this release. Version 2+ should be killer with all the new features. Let me know if any of them are good!

P.S.- I would LOVE to get a job helping to write the UFOpaedia. I'm a huge fan of X-Com UFO Defense, and an amateur writer. And (no balony!) two separate college profs have given me awards for outstanding essays (English and History). Any veterans want to refer me to the appropriate people? Or if those people are reading this...want an excellent writer to work for you for free? :naughty:

Just as a side note, I didn't know the forum auto-censored swears. Just so you people don't think I'm a faerie for using words like "heck" and "baloney". Now I'm curious and will type all the swears I can think of to see what Autocensor does to them.

if-you-see-Kay
shuckeroonies
piss
donkey
heck
see-you-auntie
twat
bitch
whore

good enough for me. Later.

Alot of these things are being discussed already. Look around for other threads, and join in the discussions. Also, try to keep one idea per thread. Bulk idea threads are too hard to keep on topic. There's no problem with having 5 threads, for 5 good ideas.

--Edit: Also, If you want to test out stuff, nixnihil, go to the Firing Range. You won't receive post credits, but you can try out anything you want there. Edited by Robo Dojo 58

[quote name='nixnihil' date='Feb 11 2004, 12:52 PM']P.S.- I would LOVE to get a job helping to write the UFOpaedia. I'm a huge fan of X-Com UFO Defense, and an amateur writer. And (no balony!) two separate college profs have given me awards for outstanding essays (English and History). Any veterans want to refer me to the appropriate people? Or if those people are reading this...want an excellent writer to work for you for free?  :naughty:[/quote]
Post a message in the 'recruitment centre' stating that you'd like to help out, and an admin will come along (eventually :) ) and make you a project recruit.
In case you do that: Welcome to Xenocide ^_^

How about a gun that the aliens get late in the game that ignores armor and hurts your soldier and it doesn't hurt any of them? They would only get it if you were like in the year 2001+ because that would be plenty of time to research everything Edited by UnknownWarrior

How about a 'save and reload' device for the aliens? That would be fun!

Or, on a more serious note, how about giving aliens an exlposive bomb for the small launcher?

Or a anti-human gas weapon that doesn't kill aliens?

[quote]Or a anti-human gas weapon that doesn't kill aliens?[/quote]
You mean like the one in Apocalypse but switched around? Sounds interesting :devillaugh:
[quote]How about a 'save and reload' device for the aliens? That would be fun![/quote] Or better yet, you can't save your game until your have waited another 10 turns :P Edited by UnknownWarrior

At some point the aliens, who are supposed to be pretty intelligent, would figure out that we humans are using lasers to cut them into little bitty pieces. Obviously these critters are smart enough to come up with space-ships, so why no specific reaction to laser heavy x-corp forces? The aliens should be able to develop some sort of refraction armor that reflects any laser beam that hits it in a completely random direction.

• 1 month later...
I like the idea of the "Watchers", sort of like Darth Maul's probe droids. For an added bonus, they could self destruct, and their losses would not count against the score (assuming that the player could research and manufacture them).

The "Frenzon" is actually an interesting idea, and it reminds me of the drug "Red Eye" that was in one of the episodes of Cowboy Bebop. When taken, the user gains strength and speed and goes on a berserk rampage. This could be used with the Morlocks, since they seem to be the most apt to go on berserk rampages in the first place. However, I think the drug would probably be of no use to humans, since it would be too strong and the effects would be fatal after a short period of time after the drug was administered.

As for the gas, yet another good idea. The one problem would be that it should not spread over large distances in a terror site, otherwise there would be no way to save civilians.

And just a hunch, but what if the Greys got their own flying suits? Catastrophic or not?

• 3 months later...
[quote]How about a gun that the aliens get late in the game that ignores armor and hurts your soldier and it doesn't hurt any of them? They would only get it if you were like in the year 2001+ because that would be plenty of time to research everything[/quote]

Good old alien "Death Ray" -tm. Walls and armor is not a problem, it doesn't kill instantly but creates a massive amount of fatal wounds when it hits.

But, the aliens have no use for someone that's wounded. They either want to capture someone alive for study, or they want him dead, because he's interfering.

The same thing can be accomplished by making weapons more likely to injure agents, and less likely to uninjure or completely kill.

[quote name='Robo Dojo 58' date='Aug 12 2004, 08:59 AM']But, the aliens have no use for someone that's wounded. They either want to capture someone alive for study, or they want him dead, because he's interfering.

The same thing can be accomplished by making weapons more likely to injure agents, and less likely to uninjure or completely kill.
[right][post="90295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
You're right... an increased chance of being wounded would be nice. Especially if we can decide to outfit our guys with basic (albeit heavy) kevlar armor instead of their suicidal T-shirts...

Guest alex the greater
[quote name='Paladin' date='Aug 14 2004, 05:00 PM']You're right... an increased chance of being wounded would be nice. Especially if we can decide to outfit our guys with basic (albeit heavy) kevlar armor instead of their suicidal T-shirts...
[right][post="90486"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

"T-shirts" have kevlar built in (notice thay have 12 armor points in the front and 6 evrywhare else anywhay kevlar is desigend to stop bulits not plasma

kevlar doesint help aggenst aliens

I like the terror gun Idea. It would be more real if your guys could get freaked out by a massive explosion next to them, or a bunch of dead bodies across the street from anti human gas It would be cool to see the aliens deploy some vicious tactics. We would do the same if we had the chance. The fatal wound gun would be such a pain in the butt, but would be so fun once we get a hold of eum. Nothing like crippling an alien and hiding till it dies. It would also provide a new aspect to the fight. If aliens want to kill they should keep there options open, try everything. The game gets kind of dull when the only things they have at the end are blaster launchers and heavy plasma

Bij

I think in the original, the aliens did not have wounds... They only died slowly if they had caught on fire.

I'm sure they HAD some kevlar under their shirts, but still... we do have slow and cumbersome suits designed to protect against explosions right now, so I'd like to be able to get some of my guys in tougher (even if heavier) armor once in a while...

A few nasty surprises from the aliens would be real cool, like an exploise shell gun, that would do a LOT more damage than the occasionnal grenade or blaster bomb (that we all use a lot more efficiently than they do...) :D

Guest alex the greater
[quote name='Paladin' date='Aug 16 2004, 10:05 AM']A few nasty surprises from the aliens would be real cool, like an exploise shell gun, that would do a LOT more damage than the occasionnal grenade or blaster bomb (that we all use a lot more efficiently than they do...) :D
[right][post="90640"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

we already do its caled HC-HE thay go KABOOM :explode: :devillaugh: Edited by alex the greater

Yeah, but we're talking about giving some equivalent to the aliens...
Then again, considering the fact that they often shoot themselves with stun bombs or Grenades when trying to fire through their UFO's doors, giving them more means to shoot themselves up might be bad...
:LOL:

Guest alex the greater
[quote name='Paladin' date='Aug 16 2004, 01:47 PM']Yeah, but we're talking about giving some equivalent to the aliens...
Then again, considering the fact that they often shoot themselves with stun bombs or Grenades when trying to fire through their UFO's doors, giving them more means to shoot themselves up might be bad...
:LOL:
[right][post="90679"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

oh
the last thing the ailens nead are more explosives :explode: :explode: :explode:

Guest alex the greater
i gots an idea whatabout a force shield grenade it projects a spherical force field around itself when turend on (you turn it on like you would prime a grenade) and then hold it in your hand or throw it on the ground

the field will stop fast moving objects and energy beams entering the field but not exiting it (so you can shoot out of it and walk thro it)
it is not indestructable however it absorbs and slowly radeates energy from atacks and if it takes to much the field will colaps and the progector will cath fire

[quote]the field will stop fast moving objects and energy beams entering the field but not exiting it (so you can shoot out of it and walk thro it)
it is not indestructable however it absorbs and slowly radeates energy from atacks and if it takes to much the field will colaps and the progector will cath fire[/quote]
You need to play X-COM 3! :D

I can't think of any way that the gravity-defying powers of xenium could help there. It just doesn't seem to be something that the technology can do in a handheld device.

Yeah, fun, but Anti-gravity is exotic enough without adding more force field gizmos, wich would only affect projectiles/grenades anyway, and in both ways equally... Besides only laser would not be affected, but plasma would not be affected much (it's basically superheated gas...)
Maybe we could send a blast of anti-gravity to push someone back (or forward) :D

Guest alex the greater
no the forse field doesint use gravaty (thats why slow moving objects can move thro it

btw. plasma moves fast enough to be stoped by the field

• 4 weeks later...
Oooh, yeah!!
how about a grenade that, by increasing gravity, multiplies the soldier's encumbrance, hence if they're too heavily ladden, they'll be out of TUs (esp if in heavier armor).
If balanced right, the aliens would be affected depending on their strength/encumbrance too (Sectoids... ^_^), it would be a REAL cool non-lethal weapon... :D
Oh, and it should have a lingering effect, our soldiers coming in the blast would feel it too :LOL:

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Sep 13 2004, 04:27 PM']maby a grav trap in a ufo (step on the wrong tile and you get crushed)
[right][post="94321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Totally bad idea. Heres why:
1. certain tiles in a UFO randomly kill you. totally unfair. you'll have tons of people :cussing: mad.
2. if you make those tiles look different. the first time you step on one and you die. argh. you never step on one again. so you might as well have a wall you can shoot through right there instead. and anyway who marks a trap differently than the surrounding area? :hammer:

Ahhh ok. Misunderstood. Sorry. But isn't that still totally luck? or could the aliens could just center the gravity effect onto the area around the soldier no matter where they are in the ship? That shouldn't be in every ship, just a few though.

• 1 year later...
Yeah, fun, but Anti-gravity is exotic enough without adding more force field gizmos, wich would only affect projectiles/grenades anyway, and in both ways equally... Besides only laser would not be affected, but plasma would not be affected much (it's basically superheated gas...)

Um, do you guys remember what's propelling the plasma in the first place? Magnetic fields? Things like plasma and ions have their own magnetic fields, making it easy to propel them, and deflect them. How hard could it possibly be to apply the massive power potential of something like xenium generators to make a strong magnetic field?

My only reservation is that this would be too good. You'd need to have the aliens adapt and move on to something greater than plasma if you did something like this.

I have to say of all the ideas tossed around here the initial one of a watcher or scout probe intrigues me the most.

Of course these scouts would have to have a greater capacity to view the terrain ( longer feild of vision then Soldiers)

It would have really a dual purpose for combatants, since initial troops and aliens are rather weak in technology they would provide some bonus marksmanship for shooting them down and earn rookies a few experience points...in later missions when the aliens had greater technology the possibilities of being blown to kingdom come with a blaster bomb is increased .

Not to mention the Technological advantages the Human race could derive bringing one of these puppies "alive". of course in order to make it somewhat less of a complete scout to map the entire terrain perhaps make it a weapon thats deployed a short distance via a very cumbersome launching device and once deployed it remains stationary and unusable.

with all those disadvantages added to it you'de really only keep 1-2 on the craft and really only use it to scout an area where your very likely to get shot...like going in the doors of a craft for example:)

Or the scout drones would come in a large pack and provide live recon of the entire mission area. The aliens would have the info on missions already, making your already difficult life tougher.

As for the grav-grav shielding here are some ideas.....

The control systems required to keep the field from being dangerous to the user and in conjunction with the weapons is really only useful on vehicles and really large infantry types. However the shield must provide force to counter any forces against this. Recovery depends o nthe shield, but put enough force agains the shield in enough time and it burns out termporarily. Also, damage above the threshold acts on the target. So a threshold of 80 with an attack of 90 damage would only cause 10 points of damage ot hte target with 80 to the shields.

Here are some shield systems and thier properties----

Sectopod Shields - Shield Strength = 400 damage points, Recharges at 100 damage points a turn, Threshold is 100 damage points of direct damage(explosive munitions count as only half damage for penetration purposes.)

Muton Elite Shields - SS=200 damage points, RC= 50 points a turn, Threshold = 80 damage

Muton Regular Shields - SS=150 damage points, RC=30 points a turn, Threshold = 80 damage

Cyberdisc Shield - SS=180 damage points, RC=35 points a turn, Threshold = 85 damage

HWP Shield - SS=200 damage points, RC=30 points a turn, Threshold = 70 damage

Assault Armour Shield - SS=100 damage points, RC=25 points a turn, Threshold=70 damage

• 1 month later...
I think that the easiest way to do that would to be to have a Xenium powered shield, where it would use a larger electromagnetic type field to expell any magnetically charged projectile coming toward the user, this would make magnetic projectiles coming from the user of the shield go faster, and slow down all magnetic projectiles coming in. The only problems with this is that the field has to be the same polarity of the plasma coming in and that any object that is dimagnetic would be attracted to the field with a strong force. A gravity field would work by creating a thin shell of near infinite mass and then two smaller shells both inside and outside the first of nearly negative mass, this woudl produce a see through "hard" shield against both Plasma and Human Munitions, but not Lasers because thier mass is so negligable that they would not be effected by a gravity field of such small magnitude.