XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Editor Limits. Can I Change Bullet Speed Or Add Manpower?

komninosm

I want to know if there's an editor that can change the speed of 'bullets' (beams, missiles, guns, whatever) both in the cityscape and the battlescape. I want to make most of them faster, instantaneous nearly if possible, because it's more realistic. I also don't like how you can miss against moving targets so much and you care more about rate of fire than accuracy in many instances. (In battlescape) There already is an accuracy penalty for shooting against moving targets so I think that should be enough. It will maybe make the laser rifle more worthwhile. It will also allow me to tweak the missiles to more powerful status to make them more useful.

I also want to be able to add more men to my ranks. Scientists, soldiers, whatever. All welcome.

If no editor can do this, how about a guide to hack some values in the game files by hand. I've modded a few games in my time, though I admit it was fairly basic stuff.

Well, it would be nice with editors if you could increase the max number of people in XCOM, the max number of vehicles, perhaps the defence values of the various body armour.

Too bad XCOM Overkill is limited to personal weapons!

Apoc'd can change projectile speeds too? Cool! I have that already 'installed' so I'll go check it out.

As for the others, I don't want to increase people caps. I want to add new members to xcom out of nothingness. I don't want to be constrained by the number of recruits available each day.

Edited by komninosm

i'm not too sure if you can remove the constraints of how many soldiers spawn daily, but i know you can probably change the possible amount of soldiers (from like 0-6 or so to 10-30)

I have midnight, but I don't really want to cheat (much). I'm more interested in the availability of scientists and stuff. I want to be able to buy as many as I want, when I want. (OK I might make them all 100 skill)

I'll be testing Apoc'd next week to see what the usable limits to projectile speed are.

Edited by komninosm

A bit late, but on a sidenote, any non-robot superagents will slowly lose skills through combat "training".

Please explain!

lose?

How do agents lose skills through training? Are we talking super-agents who got that way through regular in-game improvement, or super-duper-edited agents whose skills are way higher than 100?

He means the super-duper agent 'improvements' (or as I like to think of them 'illegal enhancements').

See, the game has a maximum upper limit your stats can go to. Firing accuracy for example goes to... 98, if I'm not mistaken. Even if it isn't, let's just say it is for the purpose of this explanation.

Normally, after every mission, you can earn a certain range of firing accuracy improvement. As you get closer to the maximum firing accuracy of 98, your firing accuracy bonus points get less and less. By the time you hit 98, your bonuses drop to 0, so you no longer get improvements for that stat.

Now, when you go beyond, let's say 200 firing accuracy, your bonus points after every mission end up becoming negatives. So after every mission, you'll lose points until you reach 98.

It probably looks something like:

... +4, +3, +2, +1 () , -2, -3, -4 ....

Since androids don't earn experience, excessively modified stats will not deteriorate.

Not that you really need to go beyond the game's max stats. A naturally maxed soldier is already much too great a force to contend with. A squad of maxed soldiers is often overkill.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

He means the super-duper agent 'improvements' (or as I like to think of them 'illegal enhancements').

See, the game has a maximum upper limit your stats can go to. Firing accuracy for example goes to... 98, if I'm not mistaken. Even if it isn't, let's just say it is for the purpose of this explanation.

Normally, after every mission, you can earn a certain range of firing accuracy improvement. As you get closer to the maximum firing accuracy of 98, your firing accuracy bonus points get less and less. By the time you hit 98, your bonuses drop to 0, so you no longer get improvements for that stat.

Now, when you go beyond, let's say 200 firing accuracy, your bonus points after every mission end up becoming negatives. So after every mission, you'll lose points until you reach 98.

It probably looks something like:

... +4, +3, +2, +1 (<max), +0 (max), -1 (max>) , -2, -3, -4 ....

Since androids don't earn experience, excessively modified stats will not deteriorate.

Not that you really need to go beyond the game's max stats. A naturally maxed soldier is already much too great a force to contend with. A squad of maxed soldiers is often overkill.

- NKF

Thanks! I had never encountered this phenomenon because I had never edited my soldiers' stats. I was worried that once you had agents with really high legitimate stats, staying in training would degrade their stats (like if the game considered "training" inferior to actual combat for skill building or maintenance). I knew editors could pump agents up to insane maxima, but never saw the point. If your agents are uber-gods at the beginning of the first week, where's the dramatic tension in the game? Nothing is more satisfying that coming back from a mission and seeing how your agents have gained a point here or there: "Sweet! I'm up to 52 points on reactions!"

The only editing I've ever done is to change the faces (to look more like the friend after whom I named a certain agent), and rank. Sometimes you'll get a rookie with 3 or 4 single kills on different missions. In such a case, I'll bump up the rookie to squaddie. I don't see a point in having a whole team of squaddies but no leaders. So, I'll edit the ranks of agents sufficiently to ensure there's some sort of leadership in my XCOM.

Especially when I have lots of agents in a game (I've had all 100 in several non-money-edited games), I'll promote the top agent to commander, the next three highest to colonel, 6 or 7 captains below that. Generally, if an agent had well over 20 kills and vastly improved stats, I'll promote him/her to sergeant. It seems appropriate. No commander I've had ever had fewer than 100 kills by the time he/she reached commander. I also almost always require a prospective commander to have 100 bravery - usually a few agents will make such big gains in bravery.

I never saw the point in having a whole XCOM full of commanders; I see this in some screenshots - squads full of commanders, complete with their skull-n-crossbones insignia on their avatar pictures. I have never noticed a major effect of rank on morale, although I don't often lose agents. I like to have a captain on each mission, with at least one sergeant or a great squad leader in each squad. I'll have a colonel in each base (unless I have like 6 bases or something), and ONE commander at the main base.

But as for the rest of agents' stats, they've gotta earn 'em. Hard training, and slammin' combat. That's the way it oughtta be. Then you can look at your agents and see how truly elite they've become.

Forces to Contend With

NKF - you're also right that by the time agents reach late-game stats, they're much too tough for the general alien, gang and cult populations to contend with. I'm a slow, meticulous player, and by the time I'm ready to start smashing in the alien dimension, most of my agents have all bars right across the stats screen. As much as cash flow allows, I hire agents early and get them into training, and then try to rotate them through combat duty to get them experience and kills.

By the time I've deloyed disruptor armor to the entire force, which does take a LONG time, pretty-well everyone is a super-soldier. Some groups of soldiers will tend to have little experience, usually if they were particularly weak when they got hired on. So I'll bring in top sergeants and captains to act as squad leaders and take them over to the cult and the gangs to get some combat time in. The cult deserves it anyway, as do the gangs, as they've usually all tried to raid and attack my bases.

As for my prime team (I usually have one team that winds up being by far the most elite and experienced), each agent in my TEAM 1 usually has over 100 kills, comprised of alien kills and human kills. When I send them into a hostile org, they're so fast on the draw with high reactions and accuracy that the bad guys rarely get a chance to shoot. When I send TEAM 1 into a hostile organization, I'll certainly win that initial firefight, but if any bad guys run for it, or don't feel like coming out, I'm happy to just storm the building. Double shields, cloaks, disruptor armor, vortex mines, all the good stuff, and the monster skills to back it all up. Bring it on!!!

MegaPol and the government tend to be pretty beleaguered by late-game, with all the raids, stormings and ship attacks from the bad guys, so my XCOM tends to take on a "special police" role as well. I'll have an anti-alien team, all geared up with toxin and what not. Then I'll have a SWAT team all geared up with devastators and dimension missiles to take down the cult and gangs. Basically, anytime anyone hits MegaPol or the government, they get a visit from the Special Forces (XCOM). As it should be!

And like NKF says, without a single point edited to stats, these late-game troops really are special-forces types compared to their foes. I've tried sending in one agent a few times against hostile humans. It does get hairy, I admit, but usually a top late-game agent, fully bombed up, can handle 10 or 12 cultists or gang members. Nothing's better than when your commander him/herself wipes out a whole temple security force.

Aiki-Knight

actually using editors to increase your stats is like using steroids, you get super strong and have hyper stats, but once you're off them you lose the effects

actually using editors to increase your stats is like using steroids, you get super strong and have hyper stats, but once you're off them you lose the effects

:) That's a neat way of putting it!