XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tech Tree At A Glance

Darkvater

Looks good though you left out the gauss weaponry and medkits, perhaps intentionally.  Also, isn't there a bug where you cannot research a Tasoth commander or you'll be stuck in the research tree ?

Yes, I left out the Gauss (who would ever want that, except for the Gauss cannon for manufacture?), medicit and particle disturbance sensor.

Oh, yes, there is.....luckily I haven't found one yet ^_^

Yes, researching tasoth commanders doesn't let you go to t'leth and win the game.

I like gauss! Especially with xcomutil. But, the gauss tree is perhaps the only bug-free part of the entire tree, so it doesn't need to de put in.

hey this is greatly done!

congrats! :beer:

come to think about it.. if the only bug in the tree is tasoth commander then.. screw it. its not a major bug.

btw i never saw any tasoth commanders. only squad leaders

Edited by Mark0

• 3 weeks later...
Geez i tot i ran into a tech bug right at the end again! But luckily i kept trying. What happened was i tot i research both ultimate threat n lobster commander but i cant research the alien city. After a while of trying i figured that i researched those 2 things in separate bases. Funny they made it like that, u would think x-com would have all their bases sharing information!

• 3 weeks later...
just to let you know, through my own experience you need to research something else besides Zrbite to get the Disruptor Pulse Launcher. unfortunately i forgot what it was :(

Hmm, I never had that, and all the sources I could find only needed Zrbite. But if you can come with it, it would be great :).

I forgot to add Bombardement Shield, will do once, I get to play again and see how it fits

I also experienced something u could call a "research" bug.

I played my first save 4 a long time, but I never was able to get a living commander of any race (including lobsterman).

If he was unconscious while winning the mission, he was just recorded as "corpses found", but did neither appear in "aliens killed" nor in "aliens imprisoned"

As i had this bug around 3 times in total, i realized that it has sth 2 do with a gill man dreadnought.

If i didnt get a living commander there, i wouldnt be able to ever get a living commander again.

Well, looks like that happened only to me :/

never have seen a tasoth commander, too.

They exist?

Even in dreadnoughts they cannot be found.

• 1 month later...

I've also heard that researching a Live Deep one BEFORE magnetic navigation stop you from being able to reasearch any fo the new flying subs. Was this true or was i mistold?

If it is true it would explain why i've never been able to get subs and therefore beat the game. with weak harpoons early on its not uncommon for me to get a live deep one and have it researched before i get some magnetic navigation done.

~TD

Edited by TopDawg540

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it's temporary, but I'll just post it here since I did save it to HD. Hey Supsuper, your gauss tech tree doesn't include the Gauss SWS :) .

edit : attachment removed.

Edited by j'ordos

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I screwed up the webserver over there, but I only checked it 2 minutes later and then it still worked. Sorry about that.

When I got time again, I'll update the chart with the 'Bombardement Shield'. That's missing :)

[edit]I made a small update, added bombardment shield, put in a forgotten arrow and put the medic note where it belongs. I think it's pretty complete now, so this'll be the final version[/edit]

Edited by Darkvater

• 4 weeks later...

A quick note about Supsuper's gauss techtree: you MUST research heavy gauss clip before you can research gauss cannon. You can research rifle w/o pistol clip, and heavy gauss w/o rifle clip, tho...and gauss cannon gets you both the cannon and the ammo, but not the tank, unless you've already researched the hammerhead sub :blink:

Now, I can understand not getting displacers until hammerhead, but why do you need hammerhead for coelacanth/gauss?

-Crus8r

Several things:

1) Need to research a Tasoth squad leader, not just any Tasoth in order to research the M.C. Disruptor.

2) If you started researching the Tasoth commander or the Aquatoid commander, just get a lobsterman commander before you complete the research, and then you can research the lobsterman commander after completing the "Ultimate Threat" & "Hammerhead" research.

3) I think there's a bug that prevents examination room from being recovered, so you can't research it. I am not sure if this was fixed in the CE version.

4) Bug notice: You cannot manufacture the ion-beam accelerator, I think this bug exists in all versions.

5) Research Aquatoid navigator/commander or Tasoth commander give MC disruptors, not sure about this. Bad idea researching any commander other than the lobsterman commander (aquatoid, gillman, tasoth).

6) Each time you've completed researching a new craft, you will be able to manufacture the displacers if you mastered the sonic and PWT technologies respectively, so if you haven't researched PWT cannon yet before you get the ultimate craft, you will never be able to manufacture PWT displacers. People usually get sonic oscillator as soon as possible though so that one's most likely always available. (For example, researching the Manta would yield the ability to make both displacers if you have the technologies, Hammerhead is not necessary.)

7) I think you need to research a live lobsterman in order to research the disruptor pulse launcher, or maybe it was a terrorist. Forgot. It was one of the live aliens, my memory seems to say a live lobsterman most likely.

I got disrupter pulse launcher without researching ANY live aliens (or any dead ones other than deep one) in my current game....if you need anything other than zrbite, its something simple.

I can confirm that you can't build IBA in either DOS or CE.

I wish I'd known about the craft/tank link...I'da waited a bit before getting Manta. I did, however, get Coelacanth/Gauss after Manta rather than Hammerhead, so I guess it works like the other tanks do.

I was surprised to note that the manufacturing costs of the Manta and Hammerhead are reversed from their UFO counterparts, the Firestorm and Lightning. In Xcom1 I often produce firestorms at a coupla bases with a single workshop at a rate of just better than 1/month each. The increase in workspace combined with the increase in time really slows things down :whatwhat: I'll havta rethink my plan...

-Crus8r

My personal research guide notes:

-NEVER research live aliens first.

-NEVER research Deep One Terrorist (unless there's nothing left to research).

-NEVER research any commander/navigator that is not lobsterman.

-Always leave aquatoid medics to the last.

I've never had any problems with researching PWT.

The thing is, I believe that any race other than the lobstermen aren't supposed to have commanders. The only way you can get non-lobstermen commanders is by shooting down very large subs that are on their way to terror missions. Very large subs HAVE TO have a commander on board, so the game spawns a non-lobstermen commander that isn't supposed to be in the research tree.

My rule of thumb is: if I know the sub is going for a terror mission, I leave it alone. If I know it is going for anything other than terror missions, I engage it. This way, you will not shoot down the "aquatoid/calcinite terror mission" and ensure you don't get unnecessary commanders (lobsterman are the race of choice for missions other than terror).

I'll toss in my TFTD Bug Avoidance Guide, which covers almost all the buggy research branches (which, curiously enough, covers Armour, Subs, T'Leth and M.C technology, an extremely huge chunk of the reserach tree.)

It's not as nice as the graphical image of the tree, but hey, it can help.

- NKF

Don't know if it's temporary, but I'll just post it here since I did save it to HD. Hey Supsuper, your gauss tech tree doesn't include the Gauss SWS :) .

you get it with the Gauss Cannon. No pre-requirements needed :)

Additional SWS become available when two prerequisites are met:

1. Hammerhead

2. The respective technology's craft cannon

So if you want a Gauss Coelacanth, you need to have both the hammerhead and the craft gauss cannon researched. To get the Sonic displacer, you need the sonic oscillator. So on and so forth.

I can probably see the reasoning behind letting the displacers take that long, but not the Gauss Coelacanth. It's just a refurbished coelacanth with a new turret bolted onto it. Nothing special about it.

- NKF

i don't think so.

i got coelecanth/gauss when i researched gauss cannon.

got displacer/sonic when i researched sonic oscillator and Manta pre-requirements.

got displacer/p.w.t. when i researched p.w.t. launcher and Manta pre-requirements.

i think tech trees are confusing :wacko:

I don't think so, I've never gotten a Gauss Coelacanth after researching Gauss Cannon (maybe you don't research that at the start of the game though, I just do that so I can build and sell gauss craft cannons by dozens :) ) Edited by j'ordos

• 2 months later...

-Aquatoid navigators DON'T give you Transmission Decoder

-If you research a living Deep One before you research plastic armor, Zrbite, and I think the accelerators, then you must research it again after finishing them or you won't get the ion armor

-Tasoth's have something buggy in them

These are some of the bugs I found. The second one is the simplest way I could put it

-If you research a living Deep One before you research plastic armor, Zrbite, and I think the accelerators, then you must research it again after finishing them or you won't get the ion armor

These are some of the bugs I found.  The second one is the simplest way I could put it

i believe a simpler way to put second is: if you research live deep one without requirements for ion armor, you need to research another one to get ion armor.

Edited by SupSuper

• 1 month later...

If you're playing an older version of the game (before the v2 patch), magnetic navigation required a lobsterman navigator.

- NKF

• 5 months later...

These are some of the bugs I found.  The second one is the simplest way I could put it

i believe a simpler way to put second is: if you research live deep one without requirements for ion armor, you need to research another one to get ion armor.

That's why I freeze two Deep One Terrorists in my terror mission. It's not that it's not good to reasearch them ASAP, it's about freezing more than one. And researching one really fast gives me operational MC Labs on 1 March. On 1 April I get a cargo ship full of Tasoths, I get a Tasoth Squad Leader and there's my MC Disruptor coming, right in time to improve MC Skills all April long

• 1 month later...

:) For those such as myself, nothing will do except a total re-work of the Technology Tree....Preferably in an editor style format to correct the small, but extremely irritating blunders such as the Ion-Beam Accelerator bug ( :( cant manufacture after completing research even though your supposed to be able to :Rant: goes with other errors that need to be fixed, like the Gauss HWP and Craft weapon arming errors(for BOTH Dos and Windows) :cussing: ).

An editor/modification tool is the only way I can see for all these problems to be corrected for the tek tree. There has been some talk about doing some simple work-arounds in the savegame files for a quick fix, but these errors REALLY need to be killed in the geoscape.exe......

I for one would have been happy to have had the much simpler tree from the 1st game. I think Scott Jones mentioned in a couple of his "readme" files included with his utilities that he might be looking into an editor maybe in the future for inclusion in his tools(Thank GOD), until that time were stuck with this confusing =p (and buggy) mess of a tech tree :Brickwall: .

Edited by Inteck

• 4 weeks later...
You do not need Hammerhead to get Lobsterman Commander or T'Leth. I know this because I haven't caught a live Deep One yet (They've only been in one terror mission so far and I didn't catch any, argh!) but I have researched Lobsterman Commander twice and T'Leth once...

True, but it's still a good idea to kill two octopi with one stone. Actually, you can get the Hammerhead without the need of a lobsterman commander or T'Leth. But it saves time if you have the Hammerhead ready to go before you complete the T'Leth research (or whenever you need the lobsterman commander).

See, the lobsterman commander is needed for two parts of the T'Leth research branch (or a lobsterman navigator then a commander), and one in the Leviathan branch that you need to get anyway in order to actually go to T'Leth. So instead of capturing 2 - 3 lobstermen commanders, you now only need 1 - 2.

It just a saving on the need to capture just one extra lobsterman. ;)

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lightman

It looks like the tree is missing a very important warning:

Ion Armour

Prerequisites

Ion Beam Accelerators, Plastic Aqua Armour and a Deep One Terrorist

Research the first two prerequisites in any order you wish. However, you MUST research the live Deep One Terrorist LAST. If you researched this alien earlier, you won't get Ion Armour. Capturing another Deep One Terrorist is possible, but there is a small chance that you will not be able to research any more of them.

Might be more important that the warning about the Tasoth Commander as it appears that you can never research this?

Apparently you could research a tasoth commander in earlier versions of the game (I remember ruining an entire campaign once when I did this), but those with the latest updates (the v2 patch) and the beta geoscape.exe update or even the Collectors Edition of TFTD shouldn't have to worry. I know I can't get one anymore since updating.

- NKF

You need a live deep one to get the crafts...

Hmm....

Can't you get it if you have an alien medic give you the live deep one data?