XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Why Don't You Play Apocalypse?

Brute

i wonder why you don't play the x-com apocalypse. For me, i have been playing x-com apocalypse for 3 months, and it's such a great game.

The reason i opened that topic is:

-When i first played the x-com apocalypse, i thougt it was a TERRIBLE game, everything i know in ufo was gone, But now i thing it is a better and larger game than the classic one.

-My friends said to me "man, don't bother playing that game it really sucks, TFTD is better!!!"

i opened that topic because some LOYAL X-Com Ufo players can ask us -i noticed that marshmellowsoldier plays apoc too- questions about Apocalypse, and make their minds about giving that game a chance or NOT :D

• 3 months later...
When I first bought Apocalypse for a mere 3 bucks, I played it for twenty minutes, and quit. The graphics were atrocious (And I still enjoy NES games), there was too many charts, semi-useless weapons and things that went bad easily. I never got beyond getting my soldiers brain-munched. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. It was half a year until I gave it another try.
When I did, I sat down for half a day, put up with it and swiftly became addicted.
The bewildering variety of options are beautiful, I actually enjoyed the real time (Coming as a real-time hater, along with the despised first-person shooter-I'm interested in strategy, not mouse clicking) as it enable me to complete the missions in a third of the time, the raiding, allies, city fights...God it's beautiful. It's a grand demonstration of what decent programming and forethought can do to make a game more fully developed and open (there was also some bad programming). I took X-Com UFO-defense with me to Japan, because I get tired of that within three days (Usually after Psi kicks in full gear). But Apoc I didn't-I can play that for weeks, and would undoubtedly be playing that now if I had broadband...Just as well I suppose, but man it's fun, and a must for the meglomaniac in anyone...

I've kept the game for more than 5 years on my HDD :D without paying any attention to it, although I was a huge fan of TFTD. :wub:

I guess it's like everything new in life... you have to take time to appreciate it, or else you could spend a few minutes with it and then stick with a wrong impression for the rest of your life... :crazy:

I couldn't have played it anyway as my version was corrupt... so thanks for all the fixes and files I found here! ;) :huh: :wacko: :rolleyes: :wave:

It's a great game indeed

[quote name='tzutzy' date='Apr 18 2003, 07:19 AM']I guess it's like everything new in life... you have to take time to appreciate it, or else you could spend a few minutes with it and then stick with a wrong impression for the rest of your life...  :crazy:

I couldn't have played it anyway as my version was corrupt... so thanks for all the fixes and files I found here!  ;)  :huh:  :wacko:  :rolleyes:  :wave:

It's a great game indeed[/quote]
Well spoken dear tzutzy! I couldn't agree more! :rolleyes:

Thanks to this forum and the SVGA fix that I downloaded here, I was again able to play my beloved Apocalypse. :wave:

So thanks again to all the people who made it possible! :birthday: O:) :uzzi: B)

[quote name='BurnThemALL' date='Apr 19 2003, 06:10 PM']So thanks again to all the people who made it possible!  :birthday:  O:)  :uzzi:  B)[/quote]
No Problem! :wub: :devillaugh: :wub:

• 1 month later...
i decided to try every single thing i could find in my head to make it work.. and it did work :rock:

i had the mouse fix and vdmsound, so i tried kind of everything that was possible and Voila!! i got it.
after getting it.. i believe there is a solution to every single person who is having problems with apoc... :huh?: well.. i think..

i am not a big fan of it. I tried it, but it just started, nothing to tell me, nothing to teach me. There were nothing in UFO either, but this was another X-com game, and it was just too unfamiliar. I tried, and OMG! it is not a turn-based strategy game! Then i quit.

It was on german btw, so i could not understand so much of it. Recently, i got myself an english version, but it was nothing better

BTW, it took me 5 minnutes to find my base, and 5 minnutes to launch a craft, and 5 minnutes to send people into it, and after 5 minnutes in the battlefield, i quit after 5 minnutes.

I cannot see the "fun" in the game. Yeah, grafic rules, but it was too confusing to play.

[quote name='mikker' date='Jun 12 2003, 03:57 PM']i am not a big fan of it. I tried it, but it just started, nothing to tell me, nothing to teach me. There were nothing in UFO either, but this was another X-com game, and it was just too unfamiliar. I tried, and OMG! it is not a turn-based strategy game! Then i quit.

It was on german btw, so i could not understand so much of it. Recently, i got myself an english version, but it was nothing better

BTW, it took me 5 minnutes to find my base, and 5 minnutes to launch a craft, and 5 minnutes to send people into it, and after 5 minnutes in the battlefield, i quit after 5 minnutes.

I cannot see the "fun" in the game. Yeah, grafic rules, but it was too confusing to play.[/quote]
its hard to start wit hit but it gets easier
and there is turn based in apoc
u have real time and turn

and again it comes to your choice :)

At first when I bought Apocalypse, I didn't play it for 2 or 3 months because I didn'l like it, that was a HUGE mistake. :boohoo: :spank:

If you don't give it a real try then you'll miss the best strategy game that exists in my view... And of course you also can play in round-based mode instead of real-time (which I prefer after being VERY reluctant to even try realtime ;) )

Give it another shot :flame: and probably you'll LOVE Apocalypse.

Bring on the aliens! :psychosanta: :crazy: :uzzi2: :LOL: :explode:

Guest Jim69
I've played both APOC and UFO to the point of completion, and tho Apoc had better graphics I prefer UFO. Once u bust Apoc 4 a while u get the hang of it, but 4 me the missions were all too often in a load of corridors, with not much room 4 manover. I prefered the more openess of UFO, buts thats just my opinion. Both great games, I just prefer UFO.

But you can inflict much more damage in buildings than on a field of grass! :psychosanta: :alienoooh: :psychosanta:

Burning grass = lame
Burning and collapsing buildings with burning aliens running in panic = fun!

[quote name='BurnThemALL' date='Jun 14 2003, 09:28 PM']But you can inflict much more damage in buildings than on a field of grass!  :psychosanta:  :alienoooh:  :psychosanta:

Burning grass = lame
Burning and collapsing buildings with burning aliens running in panic = fun![/quote]
listen to him hes the master of destruction :P
hes my teacher for flaming buildigns and all :D :beer: :naughty: it got my game way more fun to play!
thanks again BTA!

• 4 weeks later...
I've only learned about the X-com series when the graphics were already completely outdated. Still, I've briefly played the first one, and then for a long time I've greatly enjoyed TFTD. But the whole underwater plot didn't do it for me. When I got my hands on Apoc, I enjoyed it from the start. It took me a few hours to really get used to the new interface and way of playing, but it was worth it. This game is really addictive, and if you don't like to be stuck you can always get a few hints by downloading the research trees. The graphics seemed great when I first played it, but I still think they could have made some improvements to the missions.
Well, Xenocide will fix that problem! :rock:

I have only played Apoc and Interceptor - Apoc is GREAT!!! You absolutely HAVE to play real time - I played one turn based game and got slaughtered. The brainsuckers are deadly in turn-based play. Go into real-time game and splatter them all over the corridors!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

• 7 months later...
I play Apocalypse on and off every now and then, and I do think it's a really good game. It's very complicated however, and I don't like the RTS function very much. But I do like the idea of the entire city and corporations, and when I'm bored I go raid the Cult of Sirius and destroy the temple with my hovercars and jets.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry for getting off topic but:
Why does everyone say it is so hard? My dad beat the WHOLE game only playing in turn-basedf and he managed to avoid getting brainsucked, but he was 48 and played so many games like x-com so maybe he was just really good at turn-based for some reason

I've been playing it for a bit and to me it's a game that i love to hate. I hate looking for fixes just so it can run i hate the choppy sound. i hate that it didn't come witha manuel. but i love the game play now that i'm finaly use to it, i love destroying buildings, cuz a few times in TFTD i'd blow up the stairs and have no way to get to the aliens :cussing:
all in all it's easier than the other x-coms, but those damn bugs :cussing: i think i may have take my 200mhz out of retirement cuz this 1.6 ghz laptop ain't cutting it :rock:

[quote]i hate that it didn't come witha manuel[/quote]
Apocalypse comes with a manual. It's 212 pages long, and weighs nearly half a kilo.

I hate how long the turn-based turns are. In 11 seconds, you can run into a building, kill a dozen aliens, and run to safety. With the toxigun, you become way too godlike.

I believe that the "feel" of TFTD is better, because it's all creepy, spooky, mysterious aliens coming to attack from the oceans and all. Musics are fantastic too.

Apoc is a better game overall, there are so many features that the game dwarfs other games in the X-Com series. It is not harder or more complicated, you just have to spend some time (and restart a lot of games) to get the style of it.

Also, Apoc's real time play is not really "real time", because you can pause the game. Most real time strategy games involve clicking madly all over the screen (to out speed your opponent in decision making), Apoc is a fine real time strategy where you can calmly follow the battle.

I find the first game v spooky but i think that may be because of the age i started playing (six ,and im 15 on sunday). tftd doesnt have that effect on me cos there is no inbred fear from my youth...............the first bit of my youth

• 4 months later...
X-Com 1 is a far sight easier to understand, as the somewhat horrendous user interface is the only big problem I have with Apocolypse, but if given the time, Apoc is definitely worth the pain and suffering of getting it to run correctly on Windows XP. I'm still not "used" to the game yet, but I have to admit that playing around with politics and inciting hostile corporate raids is just darn fun--who needs the aliens, anyway? X-Com: Wall Street Edition would be a best-seller, I know!

Seriously, though--there's just such a wide range of options available to you from the very beginning of the game, it's hard not to be a bit overwhelmed, or just plain awed. Of course, Apocolypse doesn't replace the orignal games--it probably wasn't meant to--but it's a nice complement to the stellar X-Com gameplay.

Now if I could only find my original CD...

Guest Azrael
Apoc is far better than tftd and ufo!, especially because of the real time setting, if ufo was a real time game, I wouldn't think twice before playing it, but man, it gets sooo slow sometimes!
Loved the destructable terrain!

[edit] Oh, I also thought it was a terrible game at first, and left it away for a long time before I gave it a chance. I was very wrong. Edited by Azrael151

Actually, I prefer the turn-based, TU-restricted gameplay of the originals--sorry to say, I don't think Apoc can hold a candle to the classic original games in terms of gameplay and storytelling, but it's a good game on its own. The fighting, for one, just seems plain random, but in a good way. However, I prefer a more tactical approach myself, instead of just watching your guys duke it out a la Command and Conquer. That's not to say Apoc's real-time combat wasn't good--it just wasn't as good as the original's.

Guest Azrael
[quote name='The Master Maniac' date='Aug 26 2004, 01:08 AM']Actually, I prefer the turn-based, TU-restricted gameplay of the originals--sorry to say, I don't think Apoc can hold a candle to the classic original games in terms of gameplay and storytelling, but it's a good game on its own. The fighting, for one, just seems plain random, but in a good way. However, I prefer a more tactical approach myself, instead of just watching your guys duke it out a la Command and Conquer. That's not to say Apoc's real-time combat wasn't good--it just wasn't as good as the original's.
[right][post="91864"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Perhaps not ^_^ , but I think that's because it's the third game, it has to live up to the expectatives of x-com players. But I concur, the previous games had something Apoc doesn't have, don't get me wrong, I prefer Apoc, but I have to admit, the previous ones had a better storytelling (if any), nevertheless, turn-based often makes my head go :explode:

Well, at least you can't say that any of the first 3 games were "bad" or "lacking" in any way--that's saying something. It's true that each of the X-Com games tries to set itself apart from its others in some way, and that's, at the very least, admirable. Rather than shoving the same thing down players' throats, knowing it would sell, they tried something radically different for X-Com 3, and I really grew to like it. As of now, no one X-Com game seems incredibly superior to any others (though TFTD wasn't exactly my cup of tea, if you will), but they're all quite easily distinguished from each other. That's something you just don't see very often, sequels having a totally different flavor than the originals.

As far as storytelling goes, the cool thing about X-Com is that there isn't any. I know, I know, having good narraration is great for a lot of games and all. But the way X-Com tells its story by letting the player research and learn about every little thing in that game's particular universe--that was plain cool. In Apocalypse, everything from the most innocious civilian car, to the tallest skyscraper, even to bizarre alien UFOs or space-time rifts could be learned about. It was an atmosphere not even modern games frequently touch upon. Personally, I thought the story was just as good, if not better in some ways, than both the original games.

But, anyway, that's enough of my rambling.

edit--I worded that last post up there wrong. ^_^ I meant that the way the story unfolds doesn't quite seem as solid as the original game. Oops. Edited by The Master Maniac

I'd forgotten exactly why I stopped playing Apoc, possibly all the things to manage, its interface etc. Though I think after a while it became "cause I couldn't get the cheats to work." :)

I know I know. I suck. :boohoo:

It has been nice though after coming here all the talk about it. I may go back to it and check it out a little more. I hope that if I can find solutions for the gameplay and any techincal issues I might have had in the past, it may make this next time out more rewarding.

All I know is is that I really wanted to like that game, but I musta gotten tripped up by its functionality.

Well, at least they thought to have the option of using a (labored) turn-based option for X-Com 3. Ah, well--moderation in all things.

And Snakeman, I know what you mean. The first thing that threw me was the way the interface was set up. Right at the very beginning, I found myself wondering "now, what the heck is this?" For someone so used to just clicking a magic button and having my wishes brought to fruition, as in previous X-Com games, not instantly knowing how to equip agents or manage stocks on a snap thought really irritated me. You'll get used to it--it's not too bad. After all, you take the bitter with the sweet. Underneath the confusing, steeply-curved exterior is a really cool game based in the X-Com universe.

Now if only we could get a decent sequel this time...

That's exactly it Maniac. Coming from X-COM (never really got into TFTD besides playing the demo of it) I was already very familiar with its interface, but I think in the case of Apoc's, in their attempt to make it better, it raised the learning curve from the old game to this one significantly for me.

Trying it out now, without a manual :) I just figured out how to assign guys to my ship and go on missions. Now my big thing is figuring out all the soldier buttons n' gizzmos. The first things I recognized right away were where you select the type of shot, postures, and equip screen. Basically I just set them up and let them go...I guess they're doing their job ;)

• 10 months later...

I dug up the game out of my collection recently because I never quite got into it within the couple years after it was released. Turn-based/headsucking burned me, I didn't want to learn real-time in an X-com game, my ships kept getting destroyed, you name it, it frustrated me.

So many years later I get the itch to play it again, something unresolved if you would. I hear about all the problems with getting it to run on XP, plus the fact I have a lot of other games which have difficulty running on newer systems, I decide to restore my old Athlon 500. Install Windows 98 Se and buy a new "old" card to replace my broke one; a Radeon 7000. Load X-com Apoc up and it freezes almost immediately after starting a new game. Damn it! After reading the boards and trying the patch and some tweaks, nothing changes. To make a long story short(too late!) I go back to XP, install Apoc, the mouse fix, VDMsound, and I am now playing it with full sound effects, music, and controls just like I remembered it to be. I love it!

I went a little into the first week getting my feet wet again, realizing I might have missed an early UFO capture and paying off the Sirians wasn't that necessary, so I can hardly wait to restart my game today after work! :Hyper:

• 1 month later...
i wonder why you don't play the x-com apocalypse. For me, i have been playing x-com apocalypse for 3 months, and it's such a great game.

-When i first played the x-com apocalypse, i thougt it was a TERRIBLE game, everything i know in ufo was gone, But now i thing it is a better and larger game than the classic one.

-My friends said to me "man, don't bother playing that game it really sucks, TFTD is better!!!"

i opened that topic because some LOYAL X-Com Ufo players can ask us -i noticed that marshmellowsoldier plays apoc too- questions about Apocalypse, and make their minds about giving that game a chance or NOT :D

At the moment I don't play it because:

1) TOO MANY MISSIONS!!! - every 5 seconds or so you hear that annoying siren

2) Very slow and choppy in DOSBOX as I recall.

otherwise I would play it.

then use 3D fix

if you don't want sirens then take out the alien infection before they get big enough to create a warning siren

I'm not quite complaining about the siren being annoying (although it was slightly) - I'm complaining because there were too many missions. In UFO and terror I didn't have to go to every downed UFO or sub. In apocalypse unless i went everytime then the corporation would become alien infected i.e. there's too much "work" in apocalypse as opposed to UFO/terror and sometimes in ufo 10 days can go by without anything happening. Is there a mod to make less missions/less alien ships attack in Apocalypse?

What is 3d fix and what does it do?

Guest Azrael

At the moment I don't play it because:

1) TOO MANY MISSIONS!!! - every 5 seconds or so you hear that annoying siren

2) Very slow and choppy in DOSBOX as I recall.

otherwise I would play it.

Isn't that the same thing in X-Com 1 and 2? :huh?: I stopped playing UFO and TFTD because I couldn't stand the constant missions, but not because there were a lot of them, there are many of them too in Apocalypse, but rather because there is no reload and I *hate* turn-based, Apocalypse solved that problem with Real Time :)

• 3 months later...

Having only played TFTD, I loved Apoc.

It was different, but having only the one Xcom under my belt, it wasn't a difficult change-up.

I had reservations about defending just the one city, and how the aliens weren't aliens in the traditional sense, but extra-dimensional.

Then, I played it. And it was X-Com. And it was good. All the differences were cosmetic. The soul was there.

As for the brainsuckers, yeah. I don't know that I ever felt such fear playing TFTD. At least the Tentaculats were relatively rare and late in the game.

And there's really nothing like kicking around the Cult of Sirius to beef up your soldiers, make money from "confiscated" goods, and utterly destroying their entire buildings and all alien-loving occupants with choice use of explosives and weapons-fire...

:devillaugh:

• 1 month later...

Ya know Apocolypse kinda makes me laff...not cause the gameplay is bad or the games inferior nothing of the sort i enjoyed it just like I enjoyed the first two.

What makes me laff is...when TFTD came out everyone screamed RIP-OFF its the same game blah blah blah........so then came Apocolypse....wahhhhh..its too different.

I enjoyed all three of the series ( I know theres more than three but......just cause it says "Mario" on it doesnt mean its a Mario Bros Game)

You just have to approach each one as its own entity and stop comparing to a previous version. had UFO defence never existed would TFTD or Apocolypse be so Bad?

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason I just cant get into TFTD. I dislike the premise and if i want to play x-com ill play UFO.

Apoc is a great great game. I think it would have done much better w/out the x-com title, as its so much different in gameplay and storyline.

As for the number of missions, I found that they can be completed faster in Apoc, and if you do it right (as in dont wait for the annoying sirens, go to the buildings as soon as you see aliens beamed there) there are a LOT less missions.

Once you can get into the other dimention, you can essentially stop all alien attacks and still play the game. I do this sometimes and play as a rogue organization, as if its not x-com at all, but some sort of crime syndicate game. Its a fun.

That one guy has a good point. It would be nice if you had the option of force attacking a UFO to destroy it after it crash landed. I'm big on shooting every UFO down that I can, but the followup can be murder. Nothing quite like hitting 2 Transports and 3 Fast Attack Ships in one day to leave half your guys out on casualty leave for a few days. Also, I wished they'd made the smaller UFOs crewed ships. Sometimes I just want to do a quick raid on a handful of aliens to see if they have any new stuff.

Well, you can destroy the downed ships with manual fire. I generally do this with redundant ships (i.e. I've already captured one of them - or it doesn't have the free goody that I want. Such as a medium disrupter)

If you're having trouble, you may want to consider a more relaxed raid on the UFO. That is to say, attack what you can, but let any aliens that want to retreat do so without hindering them. And even if you ultimately decide not to take on the UFO completely (and it can be quite tough for some), after killing off some aliens, and maybe grabbing a few weapons, you can head on over to the exits. This should result in a fair score, even if you don't capture all the equipment and the disrupter beam or shield.

- NKF

Edited by NKF