XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hostile Organizations

xalien

I play superhuman and I know that it's much easier to upset organizations at this difficulty, but some things just don't make sense to me. Whenever I attack ufo's my relations with Transtellar drop down, it happens every friggin time even if I make a clean kill (0 city damage) :cussing: . It's like they've allied with aliens but they still accept my bribes and all infiltration graphs are 0%. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I always believed that Transtellar got bad because I destroyed some roads/tubes... but if even with 0 damage they still turn hostile... The only thing that I can think about this, besides Transtellar liking the aliens is the aliens destroying something and Transtellar blaming you, or then, megapol destroying something and as you're Megapol's friend, Transtellar blame you while blaming them... Otherwise, I would like to know the answer too

Here's how it goes:

Ufo shows up ..... Transtellar is fine

My ships scramble ..... Transtellar is fine

I start attacking ufo's ..... Transtellar is fine

The first ufo is disabled/destroyed ..... Transtellar is going ape

It's 21st week and I have complete air domination, but this scenario repeats EVERY time I attack ufo's.

I don't attack any other organizations anymore (except aliens) and lowest relations with some of them are unfriendly due to regular bribes - although I could take down any raiders easily, I don't feel like wrecking havoc inside my own bases especially when the money is no longer an issue. But the same thing was happening in my previous game (second highest difficulty) which I didn't finished, so the chances are seeing it in the next one.

Unless .... :idea: the Transtellar could be allied with CoS who are friends of aliens. Hmm, I'll have to try to attack CoS and see how Transtellar would react :Poke:

Ok, I've just shot at the temple with a lone Annihilator and Transtellar immediately went from unfriendly to hostile. Could that be it? If I attack the ally of the ally of the ally they all go nuts? Thats some complicated politics :KooKoo:

yeah, if you attack someones ally they will attack you. That is why CoS will go hostile if you attack the aliens, they are allied. It is all visible with the midnight editor

• 1 month later...

You're certainly allowed on the tubes, it's the cabs that you're barred from using. Your soldiers will gladly walk to the new base - but it's slightly more dignified to first transfer them (so they get a bunk assigned at the new base), then manually fly them there and drop them off. ;)

Broken people tubes can be a hassle, but not a problem for soldiers. As I said, you can fly them there. Or you could wait until the tubes are rebuilt. This should happen at the end of the week.

Your techs on the other hand are trickier bunch. I'd recommend hiring a new team if you are having great difficulty with them.

- NKF

yeah, if you attack someones ally they will attack you.  That is why CoS will go hostile if you attack the aliens, they are allied.  It is all visible with the midnight editor

On midnight editor's organization tab, you have 2 pairs of sliders right? First paramater, I understand is the level of relations that I can visibly see, but what's the second parameter?

• 7 months later...

In the game I'm playing now by attacking UFO's I'm spoiling relations with Transtellar (as always), Marsec, Technocrats and Evonet.

I can understand it with Evonet - it's a recycling corporation, so they have to clear missile and alien craft shreds and other trash that falls from the sky.

But why Marsec gets pissed off? They should love me for bying lots of their craft and weapons for the purpose of shooting aliens. It's strange not to like clients like X-com.

Problem with Technocrats is strange as well. They're politicians - one of leading fractions in the Senate. Which means they were among those who approved the establishment of X-Com. So, how can they hate X-Com for doing what it was created for?

Easy. You've hit their property - or you've done a LOT of property damage when you've entered their buildings to clear out any aliens.

The thing is, in this game, ALL damage done to the inside of a building is blamed on you. Exclusively. Whether it was done by an alien, or an idiot rent-a-cops that suddenly decided to play a game of catch with a live proximity mine (yes, it can happen when you go on a non-hostile raid to 'borrow' equipment).

The key thing to remember is to go easy on the explosives, especially with the heavy launcher, when investigating buildings, and to not throw around too many inaccurate devestator cannon beams.

- NKF

I know about everything that is supposed to make people unhappy.

1. Hitting their buildings while intercepting UFO's (the most common case).

2. Damaging their buildings while on tactical missions.

3. Probably attacking thir allies.

4. Probably destroying their vehicles, but you're unlikely to do this accidently - you have to do it on purpose, if organization is not already hostile, your craft won't shoot at them.

That is all logical and can be controlled.

What I hate is organizations going unfriendly by only the fact that I've shot down some UFO's. Proprty damage is zero - "Damage to city 0" on the week score screen (this time I got lucky - 2 of 3 DG's have quickly moved outside the city - sky firefights usualy end with minimal harm to the city, if any).

It can also be seen from the sum of money that you're asked - if you've done some damage, it's something like $21837. But if the company is offended for some other reason it's usually round - like $22000.

I've cleared the first building of alien presence (the signal that happens before first UFO's arrive), and still didn't let any aliens get to buildings, hnce - no missions inside (except dozen CoS raids).

Edited by Bullet-Tooth Tony

As I said in the other thread, the organization's seeing the aliens as the lesser of the two evils, thus they're rooting for their 'alien friends'. Apocalypse's wacky politics hits again.

Just how far are you in terms of your aircraft progression? Have you got any of the interdimensional ships yet?

The faster you can leave the city and take the battle through the dimension gates, the faster you can avoid the overly stupid political side of the game.

- NKF

When I get some powerful interdimensional craft, I won't care much Who's friendly and who's not.

But now it's only the end of second week, so aircraft progression is not very impressive. Still, physics in 3 labs are working hard - Adv. QP-lab, alien craft components, light disruptor beam. Opposition hasn't been too strong so far - Transports + FA ships. 2x Hawks, Valk, 7x Phoenixes, 7x Hoverbikes wipe them out easily. What annoys is that I have $100k worth of unfriendly organisations, including Transtellar and Marsec and I'm going to hate doing dozen CoS raids just to pay them off. And what next, when bigger ships arrive?

OK, anyway, I got the "enemy of my enemy..." idea, and I'll try to spoil their relations with Alien a bit.

Edited by Bullet-Tooth Tony

Tested this with scout/probe intrusion. Well, at least with theese small ships it turned out to be pretty hard to make them hit some buildings - light disruptor beams have tiny range (LDB quickly disappears after it has missed) and tiny damage (buildings don't get visualy damaged, though LDB hits counted into "Damage to city" score). Even harder (next to impossible) it is to make them hit the buildings you want.

Nevertheless, I managed to get 2 LDB hits on a Marsec building. My relations with Marsec didn't get worse after UFO's were shot (as were supposed to), so I think, it worked somehow.

Keeping your fleet at low altitude seems to work fine - you shoot up (don't hit the city much, when you miss), UFO's shoot down (hit the buildings).

I expect to get better results later with medium beam/missile armed ships, and especialy heavy beam, which will be shot from long range and make huge damage to buildings.

For me, everytime I start a new game Transtellar jumps in the bed to the aliens right from the day 1 and become a sinkhole for my money.

One thing I've learned from bribing them (and other orgs to that matter) is that it's not worth it until you really need their services. The starting bribe for hostile Transtellar is usually 38k. If I pay and upset them again it's another 38k, but if I'd ignore them the price would only increase to something like 56k. 56 is much less than 38+38.

Also, the bribes seem to cap at 117k, so unless you see a bunch of highly skilled scientists or engineers that you want badly, it may be a good idea to wait for a few more UFO waves before signing that check.

Of course, after you've allocated all you civilian personel you can try to send a team for negotiations to get some refund ... in one form or the other. Afterall what's the point in having that pile of AC:IC clips that you've been stockpiling from week 1 :naughty:

one thing i've found that works is just letting the aliens have their way for a while

in my current game, I only recently got any power (had to cheat myself to research destroyers, because i had no interdimensional craft, and killing motherships with hawks isn't fun), so i pretty much let the aliens do whatever they wanted unless they attacked my bases. I might have lost 2-3K in some weeks (my total score is -26K for city damage in week 13), but as long as you do good in tactical missions you can compensate. The main advantage is that when they attack, you lose points, and the organizations like you because the aliens attacked them. This is particularly effective with overspawns or when the aliens go on bombing raids (Mothership+Battleship+2 bombers) and just fly around blowing stuff up. After one alien bombing raid i had all but 4 organizations on the allied list, except for Cos, Nutrivend(allied with aliens), GM (dunno why they hate me) and synthamesh (dunno why they hate me either)

it is particularly good because whenever organizations attack each other i don't have to deal with them disliking me for anything, because i'm their allies.

So just consider letting the aliens have a free mission or two in Mega Primus, and see if that'll get transtellar to like you