XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Have New Aliens Spawn Every Turn On Terror Mission

Stow

I had an idea for terror missions. To create the illusion of a massive invasion, have new aliens spawn every turn for a set number of turns after the start of the mission. That way the urban terror missions will truly be a challenge and also have a level of unpredictability.

how would the aliens get there?

A terror site isn't an invasion, a terror site is a group of aliens sent on a suicide mission to kill as many humans as possible and generate mass panic and terror

*nods* I picture terror sites much like I picture a suicide bomber. They both have the same mentality: "I will strike a blow against my enemy from which it will never recover. If I never return, then that is my fate."

The difference, of course, is that a suicide bomber has already decided never to return: aliens at a terror site, on the other hand, would prefer to return if at all possible. ;-)

If difficulty options for terror sites are wanted, perhaps including the feature of allowing alien ships to group together and attack cities with multiple terror ships simultaneously would accomplish the effect that Stow was looking for.

Some mechanical way of increasing difficulty, like spawning creatures, just seems silly: the game should produce all of the enemies it needs to right from the very beginning, even if it keeps them in reserve in a "deactivated, sleeping" state in the terror ship in order to reduce the alien side's turn length.

Edited by jtgibson

Right, like it'd seem as though they come in waves. It probably wouldn't matter a great deal though if the first alien "batch" had taken out all the civilians. And it seems that that is the point of their operation in general terms.

One thing that could be done to make use of the waves thing is to increase, on higher difficulties, not just the enemy unit count, but also the civilian unit count. Just have a few more buildings that have the levels in them that can give them a place to be if not in the street in the wide open.

I figure, the aliens would send in what they have to the last unit until every civ is dead.

• 2 years later...

I can't imagine why the aliens would keep any of their units back. Maybe if you arrived really early in the attack.

Unless the aliens were expecting you, and it's a trap. In that case, I'd be more than a little disturbed to see more powerful aliens of a different type show up or pop out of hiding.

But one thing I'd rather see at a terror site is the local populous trying to return fire, i.e. police, national guard, military, depending on how late you are. I'd also like to see some buildings pre-destroyed and bodies in the streets if you don't show up early enough.