XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X net concept art

Judge_Deadd

Hey -

A nice start :D I've attached a current cencept of the X-Net database, so that you can see what we are tentatively aiming for. If you like, try making up an entry for the Laser Pistol in this format. The more ideas we have, the better!

Gold

post_44_1052705952.jpg

Yes, the current ideas for the menu are to either have each menu snap up to the top, under the parent, or have a left to right heirarchy where the parent is to the left and child branches extend to the right. Perhaps the other areas include the "animated" pistol model next to the game stats, with a detailed description below that?

Instand of the original text, what about:

Laser technolgy, are the first of its kind. Laser technology is energy compressed into a powerfull beam. This beam of energy is pure enegy and are able to go though things with even the smallest hole in it. Laser weapons have to be mobile, and because they uses masive energy resources, X-com scientist have come up with a ammo clip, with energy for limitless shots. Those contain a entirely new system, with uses energy simmelar to a nuclar engine, but it is alot more concealed. This time, the uranium is not fusion based, nor fision. A single uranium particle is bunched of the edges of the edges of the vacum champer inside the gun, making the urainium jump into each other. At this impact, a small load of energy is optained, and that energy is stored in another champer. A safty device is activated, when the room is almost full, and it is unleashed out of a safty vent.

..........scroll arrows, anyone?

EDIT: woops....both laser pistol, and technology.... edited it to technolgy only.

Laser pistol:

The laser pistol is based on the laser technolgy. Because the gun is so small, less energy can be stored, resulting in lesser damage and quicker shots. It is farely accurate, because laserbeams are not solid, and are not creating much recoil. Because the gun itself is small, recoil is no problem.

Edited by mikker

Those are nice shots guys. Once we have some animations and models for different items we can adjust the menu stuff, maybe make some windows to test it with. It can be done with html to just test the look if need be.

Guest drewid

If we do the stack thing with the data tree then we might need more space for the tree.

If we had to we could lose one of the images.

something like (rough of guts mockup):

post-3-1053199291_thumb.jpg

I was thinking if the menu items snapped to the top even tighter, the edges touching each other. Also, after going through the list of items, I don't think there was more than 5 or 6 items in any one group. I think explosives was the largest group, you'd have something like:

X-Net

Weapons

Explosives

Stun Bomb

Smoke Grenade

Grenade

High Explosive

Proximity Grenade

Alien Grenade

If they were touching edge to edge except for the one gap, all of the above would fit in the space of Drewid's last screen shot, ending at the first laser weapon entry (after laser pistol) by my estimate. That would allow the remaining room to be used for something else.

To stray a little off the topic: I don't get the 'EYES ONLY' remark. It's a computer screen, not some piece of paper. What are we discouraging here? Making polaroids of your computer screen?

He he... instead of 'for your eyes only' it could say 'for your screen only'. There have been several court cases which have included email as evidence, the last thing you'd want is to have some screen shot forwarded through email for the world to see. It's just there to represent the confidential nature of the X-Net I guess. Just imagine the hassle if the IRS found out how much money you made selling stuff on the market, taxes galore!

The classified information-Eyes only text refers actual military documents. Anything top secret has the Eyes only comment stamped onto it. Seeing as the military is rigid in it's structure and xenocide is based in the top secret area of the military it is only fitting that the structure would match the rest of the military. Just because X-net is viewed over a computer it still has a secure log on and is intended for the Eyes only of the person viewing it. It isn't going to be visible to any old munchkin and the warning is that if the viewer shows it to anyone else, all kinds of very unpleasant military punishements are guaranteed to ensue.

That was why I included it in the original design.

• 3 weeks later...

i think we need 2 screens, with one very photorealistic (perhaps a photo?) screen, passive, and one computer rotable version.

Because of less space, and perhaps longer messages, i've added a scroll bar, with the ones unable to be used, turn black.

The strings could just move longer up, if there are too many.

laserpistolxnet.jpg

Edited by mikker

Ok guys do you want to move any further posts on this topic into the workshops. Specifically in the Geoscape forum under the X-net heading. http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?a...=ST&f=42&t=1359

Thanks. This is something that we're going to be needing soon so any input will be appreciated. If any of you need the source image to these drafts PM me with your mail address.

I wouldn't worry about the text on the buttons, as the discussion is geared towards the layout of the menu itself. You're right though, laser defense goes under facilities, not weapons.

• 1 month later...
hey i made this using info that Deimos typed up along with the images you had on this page, hope you dont mind... its a science report .... basically some filler and extra info the player can get about a weapon? i can do more of these if you like... just give me descriptions you want to use with images...

post-3-1058501199_thumb.jpg