XCOMUFO & Xenocide

3:15 - Can It Be Done?

Exo2000

Stefzg of [sc] managed to, with 15 unarmoured and purely kinetic-armed troopers, take down 3 flying armour troopers, all of whom were armed with lasers, explosives and the like.

My greatest enemy was morale. All soldiers (with the exception of Gamma) panicked prior to their death, sadly. But nevertheless, they did not go down without a fight!

Replay was made with the latest beta version. :)

Of all the soldiers, I believe Beta did the most damage, claiming most of the kills through sheer luck and hiding on a rooftop for a while if nothing else.

three_v_fifteen.zip

Edited by Exo2000

What do you mean "kinetic-armed"?

What Popek said. Only rifles, low-tech grenades, etc.

It's possible, just difficult. In the end, I think, with better force deployment on my part, and some co-ordination, my forces would have wiped out stef's. ;)

Well, in my personal experience, outnumbering someone greatly (and a ratio of 1:5 is really great!), will most time lead to the victory. Only solution would be the crappy bomber-man-tactic. Blowing up half of the map would definitively wipe them out.

Or the person with less soldiers has a really good tactical advantage by the map (for example the normandy-map).

I by myself had some maches against opponents who used better weapons than me (10K-points-limit). But with 15 sectoids carrying just plasma-pistols, the advantage was on my side against the 8 to 10 men with plasma rifles and lasers an so on.

• 1 month later...

This reminds me of a session I once played against someone:

If I remember correctly, I had 16 civilians armed with only knives, and limited only to knives; as per rules of the match I stated.

My opponent had about 8-12 soldiers, some of them in flying armor, and armed with non-HE weapons, but still projectile/plasma weapons.

...Anyway, the battle was in a city-scape-type level. My guys started inside the buildings, and my opponent was rushing in from the other side. He was using strategy and squad-based tactics, whereas I was finding ways to avoid losing my men, as well as employing rabbit-techniques. Or simply put, run faster than your enemy, and hit&run them.

Interesting thing, my "sniper" managed to spot just about everyone in the field, and run away from view, commanding everyone to separate to different buildings and "claw" their way into them as ambush methods. For a few turns, neither of us knew what each of us were doing; that is, until one of my rebels spotted a blue-trooper, fortunately, my guy wasn't spotted, so he took the opportunity and slit the trooper's throat. Within that remaining time, he hid inside a fort, backed up by 2 other rebels. As you may have figured, he was now being persued. Everyone held position until news comes about our rebels in the mini fort. The battle was pretty interesting, especially considering the troopers weren't allwed to use "excessive" force, that being HE weapons and grenades.

Cutting the scenario short, the 3 rebels at that fort managed to kill 3 more troopers, before being sniped by a distant sniper that destroyed the stairs connected to the the platform he was standing on; thus cutting off any assault, as he plucks my men off.

I managed to mis-lead and dodge for some time until after 3 more kills on his end, as well as 5 more casualties on my end narrowed the battle to a heat of finding out how to kill the last of his men. It was then, at the end, that I discover that he was at an unreachable spot for my last kamikaze.

The final score was 0 civvies to 2 or 3 troopers. And remember, the beginning was 16 blade-armed civvies against approx. 12 troopers.

Not bad for a rebellion. =b But looking back at the replays, it was more reminiscant of Resident Evil, if anything else. ^_^