XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Design

Deimos

If it's close to 1m, that's good enough. So long as regular units fit through and large ones can't we're fine really. I would suggest (if you haven't already) to make another piece consisting of just that reinforcing rib, that can be used as a cap on the end of a wall, for the sides that don't have it. A door could be made by scaling the thickness down and split it in half, then the halves could slide into the adjoining sections.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, already done but I didn't see a need to include it in the screenshot. I was planning on making the corridors 1.5m just for a little extra space to stop clipping problems, basically we have a metre measure on a desk to measure cable lengths so I did a little test. I put my arms straight out and it was bigger than 1m, is this gonna be a problem? I'd prefer a 1m corridor but am concerened about clipping problems. If it is 1m I have a little sketch of how we can use this system for the Med Scout while keeping about it's dimentions, definatly it's area but not quite the same lengths and widths due to the fact that the power source and nav. panel are in different rooms.

OK, that's what I have been doin so I'll carry on. It was more of a general suggestion but since peeps don't think it will be a problem then I don't mind. Just saying what I observed at work.

How much freedom is there with UFO plans? Do they have to stick strictly to the exact dimentions of the original, or is there a little leeway here and there like a couple of metres here, a couple less there?

Edit: BTW, do u recon I could get an answer as to whether we should use this system or use the original system? I'd like to do some floor plan designs but I don't wanna waste my time if it isn't wanted.

Edited by Jim69

OK, can a mod merge a couple of the most important posts towards there so the discussion is in the right place?

Edit: I'll provide a location and that if it makes it easier, the last bit of discussion between me and Deimos can probably be deleted since it was only really me who wanted to know that and the post before is the main one that needs moving.

Edited by Jim69

Hey Jim, the block is for 2 things, 1. make sure everybody's 1m=1m, and to make sure that building/ufo chunks are large enough to destroy and navigate through. I think your concern could be addressed by having the main hallways and openings consist of 2 chunks instead of 1, right? For the hallways, your wall is curved at the bottom, so how about this: make the hallway 2 chunks wide, and have this wall leaning into the hallway. You get 1.5+ meters that way. Here's a pic since my description sucks:

And IMO you have some leeway as to ufo size, but I wouldn't go more than 2-3m in either direction to be safe. Also realise that tactical layout gets first dibs, so keep that in mind and you can submit your floorplans in that thread as well. I really like this look, and would love to see it make it into the game.

1.jpg

Edited by Breunor

I think what Breunor is saying is to measure the 1m block for a narrow corridor from the base of the wall, rather than at arm height. This gives a bit more space.

So the logic follows through the curved wall section would be roughly 1m thick at the base assuming the curves are back to back.

post-29-1064343324_thumb.jpg

Edited by drewid

To Cpl: Never feel that anything u say towards my work will offend me, I won't take it personally :)

I see now I think. I was thinking of a simular thing myself at work actually, yeah it would be better to have a little leeway just in case, better to avoid clipping problems by having them slightly wider than dead on with the possibility of arms getting lost in walls. Plus if they walk on the curved part you could see the soldier bobbing up and down I think, tho I don't really know about animating, which would look kinda strange. A slightly sunk in walkway at 1m could solve that.

Drewid explained my point better than I did. :D If each wall section curves out and attaches to a 1 meter floor section, your total width is like 1.5 meters or more. If the unit bobs a little walking up on the curved surface that's fine, they'll bob from the walking animation anyway. Would be cool to have 2 soldiers kneeling on the curved sections and another standing between them to cover a hallway, would remind me of Star Wars as Vader is boarding the Corvette and the rebels line up to die. :devillaugh:

I like the look of the walls Jim, with the paneled feel. It will be interesting to see it with the iridium sheen as well, and bump mapping will make that texture stand out nicely I think.

he wil have to add at least one edge down the center of the braces to make it appear round with shading groups. As it is now there aren't enough edges to make a perceived round transition.

I won't comment on the design of alien ships to much since I have concentrated mostly on human equipment and as such may inadvertantly pull elements of human tech into the design.

Sorry, this is going to be a pain in the arse to understand. I posted the texture in the other UFO thread to show how it could be stretched to an extent and Deimos suggested I try a blueish tint, so here it is.

Edit: Changed the line opaqity a little, didn't like the lines so faded.

post-29-1064442774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69

I like.

Maby you could try making the floor smoother? Like a solid metal floor, that is what I think of when I think of ufo, clean floors with no visible dividers, psychadelic colors, big eyed aliens with large nasty looking objects in their hands...

What about making the floor concentric(?) rings. I agree that the spoke look seems a little odd, maybe a pattern that could tile out from the center in rings would work? Or perhaps just a lower contrast texture on the floor, where you can just make out the current floor pattern but not by much?

• 1 month later...

Ladies and germs,

what can I say, when out shopping earlier (of all places) I spotted a car modification magazine and the cover pic just shouted OI I'm an alien craft if you can mod me. So who am I to look inspiration in the mouth, I bought the mag and found even better pics inside.

What I like about the modded car scene (ala Fast and the Furious) is that the cars when done well look really mean just like fighters.

With our concentric ring design well liked I thought what would the exterior of such a craft look like? Would we stick to the traditional ufo or go off on a tangent?

I've re read this thread and tried to incorporate some of the ideas into the design.

The pic is a double height craft so it could be any of the bigger designs the actual overall shape isn't important (other than it being circular or multiples thereof). What I'm getting at is the feeling of malice these cars exuded the raw aggression, the intimidation factor and the plain gorgeousness and masculinty of the shapes with bulges, humps and vent outlets all over the place.

With this in mind looking at the concept I've gone for the bulging meanness found in some of the more macho cars while trying to retain an alien menace about it.

The doorway which is recessed into the craft looks like it'd swallow whole towns without a trace to the recessed weapon bays either side of the door which I feel gives it a sense of unknown menace. The doorway area is the only area that makes the craft look like it goes in a certain direction but the rest of the craft should follow the generic roundness of the interiors.

The windows on the second level retain that uncertainess with the purpleish glow coming from them and should wrap around the entire craft.

Once again this isn't any particulae craft, rather just a general idea for what they could look like. Oh and there's the power armour concept in there for a sense of scale :)

post-29-1067378309_thumb.jpg

According to Deimos' post the door is that large black area in front of you resembling the air intake of a Jaguar or some other muscle car, and the weapon bays are the smaller black areas right next to it.

Now I like the look of that cave-like door, how would it work in the game? It's almost like an Avenger could take off from in there... or is it only a small door but invisible now because of the black??

edit: it doesn't really seem to fit with the interior style so far, however, with this being smooth and rounded and the interior quite straight and angular (or was that preliminary?) :huh:

Edited by j'ordos

Heh, ok I guess I should have given a bit more detail, sorry :P

1. The door is in the shadowed area in the 'gaping mouth'

2. The weapon pods are the semi teardrop shapes either side of the doorway (the bigger ones). The smaller ones are to fill out some detailling to make it look more finished. Heh, even though its just a rough concept ;)

3. There is no spoon

Jordos, the 'batcave' would have either a standardised double or single door within the darkness of the mouth area. I guess that when landed it could have proximity sensors that light the area up so the player can see the doorway or something :)

For now it was the sense of forboding that I was after and yeah it could swallow an Avenger ;) That's a good analogy and it means I got the sense of xenophobia correct in it :) Do you wanna assault it?

Edited by Deimos

The "evil glow" look comes across, it looked like a giant frog was smiling as it prepared to eat the soldier! I know there are lots of reasons for using a strictly round design, but I'm partial to something a little more oblong. Depends on the ship's function of course.

just wondered what it would look like with tha alloy plates from the lightning etc.

oops - edit to attach pic

post-29-1067497262_thumb.jpg

Edited by drewid

Oh man that's creepy. :D It just adds so much more of an alien feeling to it :shudder:

I was thinking about when its landed how would the player get to see where the door was and I remembered that it could just become invisible when a PC is in the doorway area. That way the player could see where he's going and still we could retain the xenophobia felt from looking at the craft :)

I had planned on bashing together a alien alloy version of it but you beat me to the punch :)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any ideas to make the ufos more creepy?

Anyway, as I suggested before, I think the UFOs should get darker and more omnious the larger and more powerful they get.

How is that ufo going to look with the sheen on?

Do you have any ideas to make the ufos more creepy?

horns. Lots of them.

(950!)

Edited by mikker

I'm only using the humans' skin Cpl, that leaves plenty of other parts for your devious purposes! :fang:

Seriously though, the organic look is in reference to smooth lines and curves rather than the Aliens look of habitation. We just wanted something better than the straight angles from the original, which made zero sense. I also like the idea of a dark surface, perhaps a brighter reflective bottom where you can see it, which would be harder to see from the ground when the ufo's flying. Explains why it's hard to spot them?