XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Lxnt.info Downtime

Guest lxnt

'orange.slosoft.com:2000' seems to be one character too many. The game won't let me type in the full address.

Well, I did not expect such a problem :) You can either add server address directly in ufo2000.ini or just strip that ':2000' suffix (port 2000 is assumed by default). We will extend the length of the server address input field in the next versions anyway.

Not trying to scare anyone, but when connecting the game server, the password you use for ufo2000 server account may be seen by server admin if he has such intention, so everything depends on whether you trust the person who runs the server or not. On the offical ufo2000 server, this information is confidential, but as we had the server down for some time, some backup servers were used instead and it is theoretically possible for a malicious person to setup a server just to lure users in order to collect their passwords. The game does not offer much security really and it is not recommended to use any valuable passwords with it. If you happened to use any secret password with the server you don't trust, it is better to change it now. That was just a warning.

Also as such issues are possible, passwords management was improved in version 0.7.1019 and in the server, now it always uses md5 hashes instead of plain text for passwords, so revealing user password is now impossible (as I see it now, but I may be wrong) without having access to user's computer. Anyway, as I already said, using valuable passwords is not recommended. And that is true not only for ufo2000 server, but for any forum or web resource that requires password authorization. If you are really paranoid, you never use the same password for different services. I hope you are :)

• 4 weeks later...
And what sticky that might be? I can't find it.

Because there's a new server, the old server is not needed anymore..? Am I correct?

The new server is ufo2000.xcomufo.com. And I can't find the sticky either....perhaps it got removed.