I'm wondering if any one who does this alot has some tips and basics to share. I'm experimenting with it and have had some iffy success...I'll itemize all of my tips and questions and bold the answers:
1) Skyrangers detect UFOs while patrolling only, and it runs the scan every 30 minutes. Therefore it's worthwhile to move to a location and patrol for a few seconds at a thirty minute- or hour-mark.
2) Can Skyrangers detect flying UFOs?
3) Sometimes early on the aliens have no activity on the planet. The best way (I think) to see if there is any alien activity on the planet is to use the "Total" graph under "UFO activity in areas." The end of the line gives you the alien's score for that month. If it moves up, there's a UFO somewhere.
4) Okay, so the aliens' score increases. Now, we check the graphs. Country graphs are more specific so check them first. If nothing shows up there, check the area graphs. UFO activity in the Southern Africa region but not in South Africa (the country) means there's a UFO in the Congo area.
5) Okay, so we know vaguely where a UFO is.
Yet it's much easier to find one in France than it is the US or Russia.
Is it worth flying to any country where UFO activity happens, or is it smarter to only pursue UFOs over small countries?
Yes, I think so. Even finding UFOs in Siberia isn't that hard. Where the UFO flew in from (the Pacific, Central Asia, or Europe in the case of Siberia) gives you a clue to where it is. UFOs are harder to find in the Pacific, where they could be doing missions in Hawaii or that far eastern tip of Russia.
6) Do Skyrangers have a higher chance to detect UFOs while patrolling?
Yes. In fact, Skyrangers have a 100% chance to detect UFOs that are in its range while patrolling at the 30-minute and one-hour mark, and they have a 0% chance to detect otherwise. If a UFO showed up near the Skyranger while it wasn't patrolling, this was because a radar found it.
7) What's the radar range of an Interceptor?
The same as a Skyranger. It's often worthwhile to send out Interceptors first even when you don't plan to shoot down the UFO because they are faster, and it doesn't commit your troops as strongly.
8) Is it worth sacking an Interceptor at the start and buying another Skyranger?
I don't think so, but it may be smart to sack one interceptor at the end of January and order a new Skyranger to arrive in February.
9) How often do you check the graphs?
I check the total once every two hours and don't find it tedious.
It might be worth trying a game with no radars allowed, just to get better at ship detection. Has anyone done this?
Edited by wakiki, 29 November 2011 - 02:31 PM.