XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Laser Rifle

nice, even though the flufftext about the weapon "magazine" should be in the laser technology as a base and have an extra thing in it. I love the last bit though, maybe a bit too generic.

Magazine? you mean the power core?

I have changed the last bit slightly, so that it is more recognizeable that a laser rifle is being tested. I shall post it when I get some more feedback.

And does anyone know when Great Gold will be back? I would like to know if he could rate my work, I mean he is one of the senior ctd members, so he would know about good and bad work. :D

Edit: he is back, and I will post the revised version now.
Edit 2: oops, posted the wrong version, sorry. Just lemee fix it.

Update 1: I just realized I screwed up royally on my laser weapons, so I will fix them. Soon.
Update 2: Heavy laser is fixed, when l. rifle is fixed, I will post the updated version.
Update 3: Here is the new and improved laser rifle. Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

• 2 weeks later...
Per your request, I've reviewed your entry and made a few changes/suggestions and posted it below.

IMO the first paragraph would be better placed in the general laser tech CT rather than here. The use of a call sign/nickname throughout as well, and referring to it as a weapon rather than a gun.

You mention that the amplifier and capacitor are hard to replace in the field, then later state only the amplifier is hard to replace. I removed the second line, as it seems to contradict previous comments about needed minimal repair and the like. I suggest it have a sealed casing to protect the delicate components from dust and debris, and this makes it hard to do anything in the field.

I reworded a few things for the flow IMO, hopefully this helps.

Current experiments in developing laser weapons include a heavy use of fibre optics. I read this in a popular science magazine. If you would like more information, pm me.

And it's very difficult to get more accurate than a straight beam of light. All laser weapons would have perfect accuracy. I would replace the accuracy blurb with something about the sights that makes it easier to aquire and engage targets (maybe a reflex site). Edited by fux0r666

• 2 months later...
As the "father" of the original laser pistol CTD, there are a couple of things I'd like to note...

First off, a capacitor will only explode if overcharged, not from lack of charging...
second, a capacitor cannot be repaired in the field, as it is, a capacitor cannot be repaired at all, they can only be replaced.

I might as well mention that capacitors can only store a certain amount of power. Too much and it'll blow, but that's only if you put too high a voltage into the capacitor. Other than that, it's quite a simple thing by itself...

um, might I note that while using diamonds to magnify and or focus laser beams is possible, I don't quite see how it can increase the damage of the laser beam? A better idea would be to simply make the laser rifle a scaled up version of the laser pistol, as in larger capacitors and laser cores and a better cooling system. otherwise, you can use the laser booster that was mentioned in the laser/plasma technology thread in the labaratory...

There are several problems with focusing the beam.

1) In order to focus the laser, you would need two lenses.

2) If the diamond reflects or doesn't let through even a small amount of light, it could be disastrous. This is especially worrisome for the second lense, which deals with more concentrated light.

3) A smaller, more powerful beam will almost certainly not do maximum damage to a target if it goes entirely through and damages something behind it. A wider beam which goes most of the way through the target is actually the most damaging.

As long as the tighter, more damaging one doesn't come out the other side of the alien. It's inneficient to wast energy blowing up the fence behind the alien as well.

And actually, I was wrong about needing two lenses to focus. Technically, you only need two lenses for an adjustable focus. With only one lense, the laser would converge on itself until it inverted and started expanding. With two lenses, the first lense will cause the beam to converge, will the second will straighten it out; therefore, the position of the second lense determines the width of the beam.

Also, a more concentrated beam will do additional damage, but only within the path of the beam and a small distance around it. Bassically, it will go through more stuff but won't damage as wide an area.

but if we start off with a beam that's larger than the beam generated in the laser pistol THEN concentrate it into a beam of the same width, won't that mean that we'll get a beam with better penetration power as well as a slightly bigger damage area? You gotta remember that penetration power is very important here, especially since alien alloys are very capable of dispersing heat.

• 7 months later...
Meh. I updated the Laser Rifle a bit. It isn't too much changed from Cartesian's modifications, it just has a superior (imo) 1st paragraph compared to Blehm's. I also changed the names around, and fixed it up a bit.

• 6 months later...
In this entry, I slipped somewhat in limiting my proofreadings to strictly spelling and grammar, but if I see something even slightly confusing, I have a compulsion to try and clarify it. :unsure: I'll resist this impulse better in future proofreadings.

In this entry, I took the "Torch" concept and ran with it. I'm not sure it really adds anything, and maybe we should consider removing it from the text.

[color="red"]Red text[/color] indicates additions, [color="orange"]orange text[/color] indicates deletions, and [color="blue"][i]blue text[/i][/color] indicates comments.

[quote][color="red"][LASER RIFLE], “Torch” class
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/[Laser Rifle][/color]

The [color="red"]“Torch” class [/color][color="red"][laser rifle][/color] is a revolutionary weapon [color="orange"]for[/color] [color="red"]capable of[/color] [color="blue"][i]Laser rifles are not solely for Aliens, they can have other uses, hence the change from "for" to "capable of."[/i][/color] dealing with [color="orange"]the[/color] [color="red"]a[/color] majority of known [color="orange"]a[/color][color="red"]A[/color]lien species. It features the [color="orange"]damage[/color] [color="red"]firepower[/color] [color="blue"][i]Changed because damage isn’t a feature, but damage-dealing capacity is.[/i][/color]  to pierce tough [color="orange"]a[/color][color="red"]A[/color]lien armor [color="blue"][i]Do Aliens wear armor in Xenocide, and/or do they have thick skins?[/i][/color][color="orange"],[/color] and a signifigantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms. It is truly the next step in human weaponry.  [color="blue"][i]In a lot of entries, I’m noticing the word “truly.”  It’s beginning to lose its effect.  Suggest: “The [laser rifle] represents the next stage in the evolution of laser-based weaponry” or if evolution is being used too frequently, “the [laser rifle] represents the next stage in laser-based weapons development.”[/i][/color]

“Your [color="orange"]laser rifle[/color] [color="red"]new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle][/color] is a powerful weapon, but [color="orange"]just[/color] like a [color="red"]well-bred[/color] pet, it requires [color="orange"]occasional intervention to keep it in working order[/color] [color="red"]just a little attention to keep it out of trouble[/color] [color="blue"][i]Changed to strengthen the simile between laser rifle and pet: a pet doesn’t need to be kept in “working order.”[/i][/color]. [color="orange"]This primarily consists of cleaning[/color] [color="red"]All you have to do is wipe[/color] the weapon’s [color="red"]external[/color] heat sinks before use[color="orange"]. T[/color][color="red"]: t[/color]he [color="red"] rest of the[/color] rifle is sealed airtight[color="orange"],[/color] and requires no maintenance. [color="red"]What could be simpler?[/color]  Keep your [color="orange"]‘[/color][color="red"]“[/color]Torch[color="orange"]’[/color][color="red"]”[/color] happy and it will keep you alive!” –‘The Care and Feeding of Energy [color="orange"]w[/color][color="red"]W[/color]eapons, [color="orange"]Xcorps[/color] [color="red"]excerpt from the X-Corps[/color] training manual [color="orange"]excerpt[/color].  [color="blue"][i]Changed to improve consistency with later paragraphs and flow.[/i][/color]

The “Torch” [color="red"][[/color]laser rifle[color="red"]][/color] is the second generation of laser weaponry and a definite step up from the earlier pistol design. [color="orange"]The[/color] [color="red"]Its[/color] main advantage[color="blue"][i]s?[/i][/color] over the laser pistol is vastly increased damage [color="blue"][i]and accuracy/range?[/i][/color]. [color="orange"]If[/color] [color="red"]It[/color] is our first extremely effective [color="blue"][i]Effective is used often in CTs… Maybe: “genuinely adequate”?[/i][/color] tool for engaging [color="orange"]the enemy[/color] [color="red"]Aliens[/color] in prolonged medium[color="red"]-[/color]range ground combat [color="red"]situations[/color].

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack [color="orange"]composed[/color] of carbonyldiimidazol[color="red"]e[/color]-doped silica-gallium disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. This new solid state material has allowed the high energy laser normally found only in weapon labs to become a compact and lightweight weapon found on the battlefield of today [color="blue"][i]Suggest simplification: “The new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of the high energy lasers normally found only in weapons labs.”[/i][/color]. The disk[color="red"]’[/color]s most notable features are its extremely high heat capacity in addition to its excellent mechanical strength [color="blue"][i]Suggest simplification: “…features are its high tolerance to heat and stress…”[/i][/color] combined with its [color="orange"]comparatively light[/color] [color="red"]relatively low[/color] weight.

The laser amplifier core is located along the length of the barrel of the rifle [color="blue"][i]Suggest: “The laser amplifier core runs along the length of the rifle’s barrel.”[/i][/color]. The increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in many doped silica-gallium [color="orange"]sheets[/color] [color="red"]disks[/color], consequently multiplying the laser[color="red"]’[/color]s intensity. The lasing core is pumped by light emitting diodes which are powered by the discharge from a bank of high density capacitors. When the weapon’s trigger is depressed[color="red"],[/color] the capacitors discharge[color="red"],[/color] initiating the laser pulse [color="blue"][i]The previous two sentences are confusing.  Recommend merging the two (I hope I say this correctly): “When the [laser rifle]’s trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse to specialized light emitting diodes within the laser amplifying core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in a short and intense laser pulse.”[/i][/color].  Immediately the capacitors begin to recharge and reach 90% of maximum charge in a short amount of time after which the weapon may be discharged immediately again. The amplifier will adequately cool to operationally acceptable levels in this time. [color="blue"][i]The previous two sentences are also overly long.  Suggest combining and simplifying: “As soon as the [laser rifle] fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the lasing core disperses the generated heat, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.”[/i][/color]

Due to its lack of moving parts, the [color="orange"]rifle[/color] [color="red"][laser rifle][/color] requires [color="orange"]no[/color] [color="red"]little[/color] field maintenance. In fact, assuming that the weapon’s sealed case is not breached, the estimated lifespan of the Torch is 2 years of sustained use before needing maintenance and replacement of the amplifier.

In addition, the Torch has an optional mounting point for a 10x Goldeneye scope for ease of targeting. The focusing crystals located at the snout of the rifle focus the beam to an area of one square centimeter at 500m with negligible deviation over that range. [color="blue"][i]This paragraph is extraneous because there is no “10x Goldeneye scope” in the game, plus it doesn’t really add anything.  Recommend deleting the paragraph.[/i][/color]

Overall[color="red"],[/color] the [color="red"][[/color]laser rifle[color="red"]][/color] has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles even though the cost is prohibitive [color="blue"][i]This doesn’t make sense: if something is prohibitive, you are prohibited from doing it.  Suggest changing and combining with the next sentence: “…standard rifles despite their expense: its increased damage and range…”[/i][/color]. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the insidious [color="orange"]a[/color][color="red"]A[/color]liens.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even basic [color="orange"]'[/color]bug armor; this [color="orange"]‘laser’ rifle[/color] [color="red"][laser rifle][/color] cuts through just about anything instantly. For my first test of the new weapon [color="blue"][i]Suggest: “When I first tested this weapon,…”[/i][/color], we set up an [color="orange"]a[/color][color="red"]A[/color]lien dummy equipped with some armor we snagged off a bug’s body. I fired a single shot, [color="orange"]which[/color] [color="red"]and it[/color] burned a hole clean through the dummy and [color="orange"]half of the[/color] [color="red"]half-way though the reinforced[/color] wall behind it [color="blue"][i]Changed because the laser beam isn't wide, but narrow and powerful[/i][/color]. I couldn’t wait to zap a grey with it!” -Cpl. Alex Dupont

“If it ain’t broke, don’t try and fix it. You’ll only make it worse, trust me.” Laser support [color="orange"]enginner[/color] [color="red"]engineer[/color] Simon Havarian [color="blue"][i]I don’t really understand the relevance of the quote.[/i][/color][/quote] Edited by Astyanax

• 2 weeks later...
[“TORCH” LASER RIFLE]
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/[Laser Rifle]

The “Torch” class [laser rifle] is a revolutionary weapon capable of dealing with a majority of known Alien species with greater effectiveness than our conventional weaponry. It features the firepower to pierce tough Alien hide and a significantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms. the [laser rifle] represents the next stage in laser-based weapons development.

“Your new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a powerful weapon, but like a well-bred pet, it requires just a little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your Torch happy and it will keep you alive!” –‘The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons, excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

The “Torch” [laser rifle] is the second generation of laser weaponry and a definite step up from the earlier pistol design. Its main advantages over the laser pistol are vastly increased damage, accuracy and maximum effective range. It is our first genuinely adequate tool for engaging Aliens in prolonged medium-range ground combat situations.

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. The new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of High Energy Lasers (HELs) normally found only in weapons laboratories”. The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat and stress in addition to its excellent mechanical strength combined with its relatively low weight.

The laser amplifier core runs along the length of the rifle’s barrel. The increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in many doped silica-gallium disks, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the [laser rifle]’s trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse to specialized light emitting diodes within the laser amplifying core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in a short and intense laser pulse. As soon as the [laser rifle] fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the lasing core disperses the generated heat, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Due to its lack of moving parts, the [laser rifle] requires little field maintenance. In fact, assuming that the weapon’s sealed case is not breached; the estimated lifespan of the Torch is 2 years of sustained use before needing maintenance and replacement of the amplifier.

Overall, the [laser rifle] has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles despite its greater cost. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the insidious Aliens.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this ‘laser’ rifle [laser rifle] cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it. I couldn’t wait to zap a grey with it!” -Cpl. Alex Dupont Edited by Azrael

• 1 month later...

[“TORCH” LASER RIFLE]

The “Torch” class [laser rifle] is a revolutionary weapon capable of dealing with a majority of known Alien species with greater effectiveness than our conventional weaponry. It features the firepower to pierce tough Alien hide and a significantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms. the [laser rifle] represents the next stage in laser-based weapons development.

“Your new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a powerful weapon, but like a well-bred pet, it requires just a little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your Torch happy and it will keep you alive!” –‘The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons, excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

"is a powerful weapon, but like a well-bred pet, it requires just a little attention to keep it out of trouble." actually, the laser rifle requires far less attention than a pet... this sounds like it was originally written for a standard rifle. perhaps this should be rewritten into "is a powerful weapon, and it requires even less attention than your average pet."

The “Torch” [laser rifle] is the second generation of laser weaponry and a definite step up from the earlier pistol design. Its main advantages over the laser pistol are vastly increased damage, accuracy and maximum effective range. It is our first genuinely adequate tool for engaging Aliens in prolonged medium-range ground combat situations.

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. The new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of High Energy Lasers (HELs) normally found only in weapons laboratories”. The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat and stress in addition to its excellent mechanical strength combined with its relatively low weight.

"carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium disks" sounds a little over-the-top to me. for one thing, it is probably too specific, people will wonder whether this is scientifically correct, which I presume it is not. also, doped materials are (afaik) given as the base material element and doping element... "silica-gallium" would already be a doped mix. so if we want to keep it, it should be "silica disks doped with carbonyldiimidazole and gallium" or "gallium disks doped with carbonyldiimidazole and silica" :)

The laser amplifier core runs along the length of the rifle’s barrel. The increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in many doped silica-gallium disks, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the [laser rifle]’s trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse to specialized light emitting diodes within the laser amplifying core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in a short and intense laser pulse. As soon as the [laser rifle] fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the lasing core disperses the generated heat, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Due to its lack of moving parts, the [laser rifle] requires little field maintenance. In fact, assuming that the weapon’s sealed case is not breached; the estimated lifespan of the Torch is 2 years of sustained use before needing maintenance and replacement of the amplifier.

Overall, the [laser rifle] has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles despite its greater cost. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the insidious Aliens.

"insidious" in a scientist's report? we might keep this if we want to stress the feeling that X-Corps is grimly determined and scared at the same time, even down to the eggheads in the lab, otherwise I would consider removing it

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this ‘laser’ rifle [laser rifle] cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it. I couldn’t wait to zap a grey with it!” -Cpl. Alex Dupont

is a powerful weapon, but like a well-bred pet, it requires just a little attention to keep it out of trouble." actually, the laser rifle requires far less attention than a pet...
Though it does say "well-bred" (meaning well-trained), making the text state that the "laser rifle requires even less attention than a well-bred pet" would make the meaning clearer.
also, doped materials are (afaik) given as the base material element and doping element... "silica-gallium" would already be a doped mix.
You'd be right if we were talking about doping silicon for semiconductors, but a crystal lattice structure can have certain positions replaced with a doped material. So if a gallium and silica (silicon dioxide) crystal had carbonyldiimidazole molecules substituting some gallium and/or silica positions in the lattice, you could theoretically have a valid carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium disk. You may be right that this might be too specific, though. :P

On your third comment, Moriarty, I'll not quibble with you; we are in agreement. ;)

Edited by Astyanax

is a powerful weapon, but like a well-bred pet, it requires just a little attention to keep it out of trouble." actually, the laser rifle requires far less attention than a pet...
Though it does say "well-bred" (meaning well-trained), making the text state that the "laser rifle requires even less attention than a well-bred pet" would make the meaning clearer.

I think that the use of "but" is what was bugging me. "it is a power ful weapon, BUT" implies that the following statement is some kind of drawback. in this case, however, the following is in fact another advantage of the weapon, so it should be re-written, I guess :shrug:

You might be right about that. I originally read it as: "plasma rifle is powerful, BUT (instead of needing no attention) it needs just a little, like a well-bred pet." In that case, the drawback is that it actually needs a bit of attention, instead of none at all.

In any case, I don't have issues with it being rephrased to remove any doubts. Want to take a stab at it (i.e. I can't think of an alternative at the moment :P)?

Laser Rifle, Astyanax :P

here's my suggestion:

“Your new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a powerful weapon, and like a well-bred pet, it requires very little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your Torch happy and it will keep you alive!” –‘The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons, excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

'Please keep the plasma and laser rifles separate' Excerpt from training manual.....

Fluff maybe? who knows?

Better fluff though there, moriarty. :)

Any other comments on this one? (without deigning to PF Asty - I AM watching you.... :sly: )

Thanks for catching that, Moriarty. :P I obviously read it quite wrong, wouldn't you say?

Your alteration is simple, yet effective. It sounds better. :)

Any other comments on this one?  (without deigning to PF Asty - I AM watching you.... :sly: )
First, it's The Police, now it's dipstick... What is the world coming to? :P

before the thread goes off-topic about music (btw, I love The Police. One of my definite favorites.), here's the newest version. the purple part is still open for discussion (?)

[“TORCH” LASER RIFLE]

“Your new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a powerful weapon, and like a well-bred pet, it requires very little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your Torch happy and it will keep you alive!” –'The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons', excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. This new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of High Energy Lasers (HELs) normally found only in weapons laboratories. The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat and stress in addition to its excellent mechanical strength combined with its relatively low weight.

The laser amplifier core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel. The increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in many doped silica-gallium disks, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the [laser rifle]'s trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse to specialized light emitting diodes within the laser amplifying core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in a short and intense laser pulse. As soon as the [laser rifle] fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the lasing core disperses the generated heat, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Overall, the [laser rifle] has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles despite its greater cost. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the Aliens.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this ‘laser’ rifle [laser rifle] cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it. I couldn’t wait to zap a grey with it!” -Cpl. Alex Dupont

No problems with the purple.

Hm, in the same paragraph:

The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat and stress in addition to its excellent mechanical strength combined with its relatively low weight.
might be slightly altered to:
The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat stress, its excellent mechanical strength, and its relatively low weight.
"Heat stress" seems more appropriate; as far as I know, tolerance to normal stress would appear to be encompassed in "mechanical strength", though I must admit that I'm not entirely familiar with the term "mechanical strength". Edited by Astyanax

No problems with the purple.

I know you have no problem with it. I do however, and I am waiting for somebody backing me :P

Hm, in the same paragraph:
The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat and stress in addition to its excellent mechanical strength combined with its relatively low weight.
might be slightly altered to:
The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat stress, its excellent mechanical strength, and its relatively low weight.
"Heat stress" seems more appropriate; as far as I know, tolerance to normal stress would appear to be encompassed in "mechanical strength", though I must admit that I'm not entirely familiar with the term "mechanical strength".

I think you are absolutely right, and your suggested improvement sounds perfect.

Y'know, I am no physicist. And it shows. The purple whizzes somewhere above my head.... but as an avid sci-fi fan I am willing to accept weird sounding things :D

Is that scientifically accurate? It sounds just far-fetched enough to be accurate, but if someone who knows what they're talking about comes along and rips it to shreds, we are going to look a bit stupid :)

before the thread goes off-topic about music (btw, I love The Police. One of my definite favorites.), here's the newest version. the purple part is still open for discussion (?)

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium disks immersed in optically transparent coolant.

Really? I never liked an organic compound like carbonyldiimidazole to be used in lasers, because organics decompose pretty fast in strong light and heat.

If you like, you can use something like:

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of neodymium-doped gallium-glass disks immersed in highly transparent coolant

If you say it's solid state, then the coolant better be solid. The best material that fits these properties is colorless diamond. It should be deposited as thin layers, to keep it's price toward low.

If you don't like neodymium, you can choose other lantanides, alone or as mixtures, to make the name longer.

BTW, you might like long chemical names, check this out: cyclopentadienylmanganesetricarbonyl :) It's a true name, really

Tolerance to stress? I guess you mean the material have a very low expansion due to heat, so pressure doesn't build up in the material when heated unevenly. Unfortunately, I have no idea how this "expansion with heat" property is named in english. :(

Anyone ready to help here?

Heat stress (post #29, second quote). :P

Thanks for verifying it, though, dan2. Do you have any idea what "mechanical strength" is? I can guess its meaning, but having it authenicated would allay my doubts.

Since changing the name of the lasing core is, imho, a small change, I don't have a problem with it. Other opinions?

Regarding "cyclopentadienylmanganesetricarbonyl", isn't it missing something at the end? Iirc, chemical names seldom end in "-nyl"...?

Edited by Astyanax

Heat stress (post #29, second quote). :P

Thanks for verifying it, though, dan2.  Do you have any idea what "mechanical strength" is?  I can guess its meaning, but having it authenicated would allay my doubts.

Since changing the name of the lasing core is, imho, a small change, I don't have a problem with it.  Other opinions?

Regarding "cyclopentadienylmanganesetricarbonyl", isn't it missing something at the end?  Iirc, chemical names seldom end in "-nyl"...?

It wasn't obvious from post #29 what heat stress is, so I had to add something :)

Cyclopentadienylmanganesetricarbonyl is not missing anything, but I guess it should be named better as cyclopentadienyltricarbonylmanganese. There is one cyclopentadienyl and three carbon monoxide around a manganese metal center.

Durity in a metal means the bonds between metal atoms are very strong and favor particular arrangements, so they refuse to slide one over another.

Ductility is when the bonds are strong, but their directionality doesn't favor particular arrangements, so atoms can slide easily one over another, while the metalic bond strength remains strong.

Metal strength might mean the fact that atoms are capable of reforming broken bonds, so broken bonds due to metal fatigue (bending, twisting, stretching) are kept to a minimal, and the metal mantains high it's resistance to deformation and breakage.

So do you think "mechanical strength" of crystals is the similar as "metal strength" in metals? It seems like that would be the case, but I'm not entirely sure...

By the way, I'm ok with the "carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium disks" --> "neodymium-doped silica-gallium disks" switch (silica=stuff in sand and glass), but that still leaves Moriarty's objection that it's too much detail.

Regarding the "solid-state laser amplifier" mentioned in the text, I think it's ok that the coolant is liquid. The "solid-state" descriptor refers only to the amplifier, not necessarily the cooling mechanisms, imho.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest version. The purple text is still under contention. It might need to be changed to something more more feasible (neodymium-doped silica-gallium), or deleted altogether because it may be too detailed for the text.

I personally don't have a preference either way, so why don't you two (dan2 and Moriarty) duke it out? :P

If it remains undecided, well, we can always default to the original author's text. :)

By the way, "mechanical strength" appears to roughly mean "physical durability" contextually in the number of websites I've seen, though I haven't been able to find a concrete definition for it.

[“TORCH” LASER RIFLE]

“Your new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a powerful weapon, and like a well-bred pet, it requires very little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your Torch happy and it will keep you alive!” –'The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons', excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium (neodymium-doped silica-gallium) disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. This new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of High Energy Lasers (HELs) normally found only in weapons laboratories. The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat stress, its excellent mechanical strength, and its relatively low weight.

The laser amplifier core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel. The increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in many doped silica-gallium disks, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the [laser rifle]'s trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse to specialized light emitting diodes within the laser amplifying core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in a short and intense laser pulse. As soon as the [laser rifle] fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the lasing core disperses the generated heat, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Overall, the [laser rifle] has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles despite its greater cost. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the Aliens.

Edited by Astyanax

• 3 weeks later...

"Red"-deletions, "green"-additions, "blue"-comments.

[“TORCH” LASER RIFLE]

The “Torch” class [laser rifle] is a revolutionary weapon capable of dealing with a majority of known Alien species with greater effectiveness than our conventional weaponry. It features the firepower to pierce tough Alien hide and a significantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms. the The [laser rifle] represents the next stage in laser-based weapons development. 

“Your new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a powerful weapon, and like a well-bred pet, it requires very little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your "Torch" happy and it will keep you alive!” –'The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons', excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium (neodymium-doped silica-gallium) disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. This new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of High Energy Lasers (HELs) normally found only in weapons laboratories. The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat stress, its excellent mechanical strength, and its relatively low weight.

Due to its lack of moving parts, the [laser rifle] requires little field maintenance. In fact, assuming that unless the weapon’s sealed case is not breached; , the estimated lifespan of the Torch is 2 years of sustained use before needing maintenance and replacement of the amplifier.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this ‘laser’ rifle [laser rifle] cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it. "Hmmm, shooting more than one target, if they are aligned, is not really what happens in Xcom-EU" I couldn’t wait to zap a grey with it!” -Cpl. Alex Dupont

Edited by dan2

Nice catches, dan2. Kept some of the suggestions and added a couple modifications of my own.

Changes are in blue. Contested text is still in purple.

[“TORCH” LASER RIFLE]

The “Torch” class [laser rifle] is a revolutionary weapon capable of dealing with a majority of known Alien species with greater effectiveness than our conventional weaponry. It features the firepower to pierce tough Alien hide and a significantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms. The [laser rifle] represents the next stage in laser-based weapons development. 

The new solid state laser amplifier is a stack of carbonyldiimidazole-doped silica-gallium (neodymium-doped silica-gallium) disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. This new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of High Energy Lasers (HELs) normally found only in weapon laboratories. The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat stress, its excellent mechanical strength, and its relatively low weight.

Due to its lack of moving parts, the [laser rifle] requires little field maintenance. In fact, if the weapon’s case remains sealed, the Torch's estimated lifespan is 2 years of sustained use before needing maintenance and an amplifier replacement.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this ‘laser’ rifle [laser rifle] cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it.  I couldn’t wait to zap a Grey with it!” -Cpl. Alex Dupont

Some notes:

1.) I can't believe I missed capitalizing "the" in the first paragraph! :Blush: I'm glad you caught that.

2.) "weapons laboratories" I don't think the "s" is needed here; parallel examples (i.e. science labs, not sciences labs; gun labs, not guns labs) don't appear to need the "s" either.

3.) Nice catch with misused semi-colon in paragraph 6. Regarding your suggestion of "unless", though, it wouldn't make sense unless (pun not intended) the sentence reads, "unless the weapon’s sealed case is breached". Note that the "not" before "breached" has been removed. I have also made a suggestion of my own; what do you think?

4.) "Hmmm, shooting more than one target, if they are aligned, is not really what happens in Xcom-EU" True enough... but in this case, it could be argued that the training dummy doesn't behave like a real Alien. In any case, an alternative could be to change "...it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it" to "...it burned a hole clean through the dummy and left a some nasty scorch marks on the reinforced wall behind it."

5.) Added an additional contention point in the fluff text; "‘laser’ rifle [laser rifle]" will likely sound strange when the final name is selected.

Edited by Astyanax

Some notes:

1.) I can't believe I missed capitalizing "the" in the first paragraph! :Blush: I'm glad you caught that.

2.) "weapons laboratories" I don't think the "s" is needed here; parallel examples (i.e. science labs, not sciences labs; gun labs, not guns labs) don't appear to need the "s" either.

3.) Nice catch with misused semi-colon in paragraph 6.  Regarding your suggestion of "unless", though, it wouldn't make sense unless (pun not intended) the sentence reads, "unless the weapon’s sealed case is breached".  Note that the "not" before "breached" has been removed.  I have also made a suggestion of my own; what do you think?

4.) "Hmmm, shooting more than one target, if they are aligned, is not really what happens in Xcom-EU" True enough... but in this case, it could be argued that the training dummy doesn't behave like a real Alien.  In any case, an alternative could be to change "...it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it" to "...it burned a hole clean through the dummy and left a some nasty scorch marks on the reinforced wall behind it."

5.) Added an additional contention point in the fluff text; "‘laser’ rifle [laser rifle]" will likely sound strange when the final name is selected.

For 2) I have no idea why I proposed an 's' for weapon. Hmm, I was fighting too much with those colors.

For 3) I forgot to delete the "not", I mean to put it in red.

For 4) I don't really care, just I don't want people to think if you have several aliens aligned and you shoot, you can damage more than one using lasers. Still the high explosive will remain the one for this job. I tried to prevent confusion, but it's not a big deal.

I didn't complain for 5), so it's probably not for me.

I tried to help and you know, in the begining people can stumble. But I thank you very much for your help and appreciation. I'll try to help more, whenever I can :)

You did help! I just wanted to explain my reasoning so you know where I'm coming from. ^_^ (I tend to overexplain, but I hope it reduces miscommunication)

#5 was just a note for the future; I'm almost certain that the final name is going to include "laser" in it, so that phrase would be pretty redundant. :)

Your help is good, dan2; I'm looking forward to whatever you can give. ;)

Edited by Astyanax

I just wanted to see how the text would look like after so many modifications. I'm sure there're more to come (like the acumulator part, you know, rechargeable batteries).

“TORCH” LASER RIFLE

The “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a revolutionary weapon capable of dealing with a majority of known Alien species with greater effectiveness than our conventional weaponry. It features the firepower to pierce tough Alien hide and a significantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms. The [Laser Rifle] represents the next stage in laser-based weapons development. 

“Your new “Torch” class [Laser Rifle] is a powerful weapon, and like a well-bred pet, it requires very little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your "Torch" happy and it will keep you alive!” –'The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons', excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

The “Torch” [Laser Rifle] is the second generation of laser weaponry and a definite step up from the earlier pistol design. Its main advantages over the laser pistol are vastly increased damage, accuracy and maximum effective range. It is our first genuinely adequate tool for engaging Aliens in prolonged medium-range ground combat situations.

The new solid state laser generator is basically a stack of semiconductive diamond disks immersed in optically transparent coolant. These diamond disks are able to transform directly electricity to light without the need of an external lamp. This new solid state material has allowed the miniaturization of High Energy Lasers (HELs) normally found only in weapon laboratories. The disk’s most notable features are its high tolerance to heat stress, its excellent mechanical strength, and its relatively low weight.

The laser amplifier core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel. The increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in many semiconductive diamond disks, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the [Laser Rifle]'s trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse within the laser core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in short and intense laser pulses. As soon as the [Laser Rifle] fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the lasing core disperses the generated heat, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Due to its lack of moving parts, the [Laser Rifle] requires little field maintenance. In fact, if the weapon’s case remains sealed, the weapon's estimated lifespan is 2 years of sustained use before needing a laser core replacement.

Overall, the [Laser Rifle] has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles despite its greater cost. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the Aliens.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this ‘Laser’ rifle cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it.  I can’t wait to zap a Grey with it!” -Cpl. Alex Dupont

Edited by dan2

As a stand-alone text, the changes are pretty good, but in the light (pun not intended) of some issues with other laser texts, I'm reluctant to incorporate them.

First, the consistency issue. In this text, even prior to your changes, the laser amplifier and the laser core are the same thing, while in the heavy laser CT, they are entirely different entities. The other laser texts, including the laser weapons systems (LWS) CT, do not mention amplifiers at all.

The more I think about it, the material the lasing core is made of should be left out of all texts save for the LWS CT. Here's my reasoning:

- All laser texts inherit from the LWS CT, and the lasing core material is mentioned there. If we change the core material, it should be changed there.

- The other laser texts, except for the laser rifle CT, do not mention what the core is made out of. It is then assumed to be the same as in the LWS CT.

- Differences between the strengths/range of the the lasers in the texts currently hinge on the size of the laser core, the size/number of capacitors, and possibly the presence of an amplifier.

Regarding the amplifier, we should take care not to make the laser rifle more advanced than later laser weapons. That means either 1.) removing the amplifier, and/or 2.) adding an amplifier to the heavy laser and laser defense facility CT (and presumably the Laser XCAPS CT). The LWS CT doesn't need to mention the amplifier because it is a more recent development, and it's only found in later laser models. The material the amplifier is made of is currently "monocrystalline diamond".

At the moment, I'm currently for 1.) removing the mention of lasing core material from this text, and 2.) adding a line mentioning a "monocrystalline diamond amplifier" to the heavy laser and laser defense facility CTs. But I'm in no position to make such a decision single-handedly, and I'm not set in my opinion, yet. What are your impressions/reasonings?

Edited by Astyanax

As a stand-alone text, the changes are pretty good, but in the light (pun not intended) of some issues with other laser texts, I'm reluctant to incorporate them.

The material the amplifier is made of is currently "monocrystalline diamond".

At the moment, I'm currently for 1.) removing the mention of lasing core material from this text, and 2.) adding a line mentioning a "monocrystalline diamond amplifier" to the heavy laser and laser defense facility CTs.  But I'm in no position to make such a decision single-handedly, and I'm not set in my opinion, yet.  What are your impressions/reasonings?

Hmm, I wrote about the layered diamond disks having in mind they're the lasing core. The more in the stack, higher the damage. Longer time to cool, slower fire rate.

But an amplifier for lasers? What exactly is this amplifier doing to the laser? Focus it? Then is probably just a diamond lens, one face concave and the other convex. Such a lens would just concentrate, but wouldn't change the direction of photons.

But if it's something else, I'm not sure :unsure:

Edited by dan2

In all versions, paragraph 5, sentence 1: "The laser amplifier core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel..." Maybe this should just be: "The laser core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel..."

I kind of assumed the amplifier was focusing the laser; diamond lenses sound fine. In the heavy laser CT, though, the amplifier doubles the strength/range of the laser-- something that seems beyond that of a simple lens...

If the lasing core material will only be mentioned in the LWS CT, maybe you should float the idea in that thread in Active? If not, then ignore this sentence. :P

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
Hmm, wouldn't diamond lenses be a bit expensive? I've really no idea, but sounds expensive, any chance the focusing could be done by syntethic crystals or something like it?

Hmm, wouldn't diamond lenses be a bit expensive? I've really no idea, but sounds expensive, any chance the focusing could be done by syntethic crystals or something like it?

Yes, of course they're synthetic, because the alternate semiconductive layers are not found in the natural ones and to dope natural one in a layered way is not really possible. There are already good technologies to make synthetic diamonds, even transparent ones, and X-Corps should have the best scientists and technicians for the job.

Depending on the size of the diamond, the price increases, and this would be a reason why laser weapons are more expensive than conventional weapons

Guest Azrael
I assume these synthetic diamonds are not nearly as expensive as the real ones, then? good, we should mention it, otherwise someone like me will start wondering "They use diamonds??" :P

I assume these synthetic diamonds are not nearly as expensive as the real ones, then? good, we should mention it, otherwise someone like me will start wondering "They use diamonds??" :P

When aluminium was discovered, in the first years it was more expensive than gold. But when new technologies evolved, its price plummeted rapidly.

It's not a matter of expensive, I used diamond for laser texts for its excelent properties and I'm sure X-Corps will invest huge amounts of money and effort to keep their soldiers supplied with the best weapons.

As soon as the technology will be discovered (actually it is already, but for just several carat yellow diamonds), putting on the market huge amounts of synthetic diamonds will make its price go down too, because carbon is really cheap in itself and is found everywhere in large quantities on earth (unlike gold or other elements)

Guest Azrael
Actually, it is a matter of expensive, as having laser weapons employing real diamonds would be just too much, even for X-Corps and it's vast fundings, we just need a short note saying that it uses synthetic diamonds, which are cheap in comparison with the real ones.