Photo

Why Dont You Upload The Files To Sourceforge?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nalterkl

nalterkl

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 08:00 AM

Sourceforge.net has many mirrors from around the world, and you users downloading the files from sourceforge could choose the one that is nearest to them or that is the fastest.

#2 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:52 AM

Sourceforge.net  has many mirrors from around the world, and you users downloading the files from sourceforge could choose the one that is nearest to them or that is the fastest.

Because Sourceforge requires you to upload the code there too (it is just not right if you dont do that), and i am not in position yet of uploading the graphics engine until finish the thesis code...

Greetings
Red Knight
Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#3 mindstormmaster

mindstormmaster

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 12:52 PM

Soon, hopefully, the Xenocide Development site will be up and running. This will feature a file management tool where you can upload your files to the server and other people can download them. And they can be any files you want, doesn't have to be source code :)
This should be done in the next month or so, right after i finish the database design and coding the pages themselves.
I'll let you know when it goes active.
Posted Image

#4 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:03 PM

Sourceforge.net  has many mirrors from around the world, and you users downloading the files from sourceforge could choose the one that is nearest to them or that is the fastest.

Are you having trouble downloading it from where you are? The server where is currently resides offers some pretty decent bandwidth if the server ever got too busy (which it has not as yet) we have other servers we can use as mirrors.

#5 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:18 PM

Plus you don't put your built binaries in source control. The powers the be at sourceforge would probably be pissed off at all the unnessessary space we are taking.

The way it should work is that the official build guy (CyberDrift) posts the working binaries to an FTP location, oh say @ ProjectXenocide.com.

BTW how much space is available there?

#6 mindstormmaster

mindstormmaster

Programming Department

• 402 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:27 PM

Xenocide-repository.net currently offers 6gigs of storage hosted on a cable line (150+KB/sec down, 35KB/sec up). As stated above, the file management system is in progress.
Posted Image

#7 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:33 PM

HFS!!!!!!! :o

That'll be plenty, I should think. Later on once/if we're properly QAing this thing we can keep old binaries and associated source files. This is a technique used for properly squashing bugs.

#8 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:34 PM

Plus you don't put your built binaries in source control.  The powers the be at sourceforge would probably be pissed off at all the unnessessary space we are taking.

The way it should work is that the official build guy (CyberDrift) posts the working binaries to an FTP location, oh say @ ProjectXenocide.com.

BTW how much space is available there?

220mb free with 30gigs bandwidth. I have 350 free at xcomufo.com (with unlimited bandwidth)

#9 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:35 PM

HFS!!!!!!!  :o

That'll be plenty, I should think.  Later on once/if we're properly QAing this thing we can keep old binaries and associated source files.  This is a technique used for properly squashing bugs.

You missed the problem there. The download rate for you or me is limited to about 35k/s.
We at least have all previous versions of the alpha backed up there.

#10 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:44 PM

HFS!!!!!!!  :o

That'll be plenty, I should think.  Later on once/if we're properly QAing this thing we can keep old binaries and associated source files.  This is a technique used for properly squashing bugs.

The binaries are already backed up when you release tagging with the version number... i already have tagged all pre-alpha releases...

Greetings
Red Knight
Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#11 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:55 PM

Once we get rolling though, Cyberdrift should make the "official" binaries. BTW once all bugs associate with a particular build are solved then those binaries need not be kept.

If we run low on space we can just keep old source incase we need to reproduce bugs.

#12 mindstormmaster

mindstormmaster

Programming Department

• 402 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 03:03 PM

I really don't think space is going to be an issue. We have 6 gigs at the repository server, and when that runs low i'm just going to transfer the older files to my personal computer and burn them to cds. Besides, how much are hard drives now? (ans: cheap, real cheap)
Posted Image

#13 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2003 - 09:11 AM

If I recall correctly, Cyberdrift is putting each build on CD already.

#14 cyberdrift

cyberdrift

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:32 AM

I have been burning the source downloaded from sourceforge on a CD. That way I can download to one machine and then use the CD to copy the source around to the different machines I am building on. Previously we had discussed doing development builds and release builds. Do we want to put development build binaries in one place (where the general public can't get them) and release builds in another (where everyone can get them)?

#15 mindstormmaster

mindstormmaster

Programming Department

• 402 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:33 AM

When i get the repository up and running i'd say why not. It's not a whole lot of drain on space, unless you think we'll hit the 6 gig mark real fast...
Posted Image