XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Final Resolution To The Complete System Lockup

Guest New Guy

Guest New Guy

You know the one where you do everything and get everything working and once you actually get into the game you get about 5-20 seconds before it just complete locks up and the screen goes blank, and you have to restart?

Yeh well thats the one thats got me :| Anybody got the solution to that one? otherwise im just gonna :explode: soon.

thx! ;)

• 1 month later...

If you are using mousectl.com or something else to speed up the mouse, DON'T. It's a horrible program, and it will crash your game every minute.

Edit: Apparently my mousectl was set up poorly. Somewhere I had bad options set up. It seems to work properly now with Apoc, as I haven't had a crash in quite a while.

Edited by Robo Dojo 58

• 7 months later...

Er, what about mouse2kv, the one available from the www.xcomufo.com site? :blink: Seems to work okay with me...

As for the system lockup, I'm surprised I haven't run into that one yet. Yeah, sure, the framerate is terrible in XP, and there's no sound, but otherwise Apoc seems to run perfectly when running in VGA safe mode.

And houdini--too bad those Atari butchers/morons already have bought the rights to X-com. You know, so they can hold onto them while they make those stupid Terminator games. :cussing:

Edited by The Master Maniac

Guest Guest
I am having the exact same problem. Even after following the directions exactly, all that did was increase my safe time to about twenty seconds before the game crashed my whole computer.

Er, what about mouse2kv, the one available from the www.xcomufo.com site?  :blink:  Seems to work okay with me...

As for the system lockup, I'm surprised I haven't run into that one yet. Yeah, sure, the framerate is terrible in XP, and there's no sound, but otherwise Apoc seems to run perfectly when running in VGA safe mode.

And houdini--too bad those Atari butchers/morons already have bought the rights to X-com. You know, so they can hold onto them while they make those stupid Terminator games.  :cussing:

Ummm... Firaxis currently has the rights to XCOM, not Atari :)

• 1 month later...

I'm slightly confused when you say in VGA Safe Mode. Do you mean to select "Enable VGA Mode" from the Advanced Options Menu at startup? If so, when I do that I get a real screwed up looking desktop and am wondering whether or not I should change anything.

Also, should I run it using the batch file I created when following the directions in the pinned post titled "Apocalypse Works Win2k"?

I'm slightly confused when you say in VGA Safe Mode. Do you mean to select "Enable VGA Mode" from the Advanced Options Menu at startup? If so, when I do that I get a real screwed up looking desktop and am wondering whether or not I should change anything.

Also, should I run it using the batch file I created when following the directions in the pinned post titled "Apocalypse Works Win2k"?

yeah, just make sure you have both mouse2kv and VDMSound when doing that.

Perhaps he means the windows 'safe mode'?

Thanks j'ordos.

I tried that the first time I installed and it didn't work, but I also did about a million things beforehand. It worked this time though.

Also, I think I know why the two guys with the sound and no video have sound. I actually had their error, but I noticed that when I enabled the compatibility for Windows 95 I got sound, before I did that I just got the blank screen. I assume more people actually have the same problem without the sound set up right.

My brother also thanks you as it was his computer I was setting the stuff up on. It's nice to be able to play Apocalypse again after I blew our disk up so long ago.

Edited by Lizaoreo

Ah, sorry about the lack of clarification. I simply meant to switch directly to VGA mode at startup--that does the trick. The reason the desktop looks goofy is because...well...you're in VGA mode. Don't worry, it's just a color/resolution thing--your computer hasn't gone fubar.

Glad to see you've got it working, at any rate. Whatever works, man. :)