XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Laser Pistol

tzuchan

My muse won't let me sleep :hammer: , so here's the laser pistol CTD that i just cooked up. Please give it a read through. Comments are welcomed.

Also, if anyone can come up with some fluff text, I'd be eternally grateful. ^_^

(edit)
Fixed some errors. If someone could help me run it through a spell checker, I'd be much obliged. I really should get around to getting a copy of MSOffice... Edited by tzuchan

k, it's been spellchecked. some typos removed :)

EDIT: BTW grab [url="http://www.openoffice.org"]Open Office[/url]
better than M$ Office - i did the spellcheck with this... Edited by zwn

OKay, tzuchan's going to get ticked :cussing: at me for always fiddling with his texts, but here it is. :blink: I tried to make it more formal sounding, and cleaned up some of the grammer.

I think that all the creative text entries should sound as formal as possible. These are (theoretically) reports form the lead researcher to a military commander, and should look like they were prepared to be submitted to a peer-reviewed journal or something. The fluff text is there for the informal part.

-The Captian

You called? Okay, looks good. I added fluff text, and didn't change a thing. I might change "missing limbs and/or loss of life" to "severe injury or even loss of life" but that's really a personal preference thing. I love the depth of the pistol layout. Well done! Anyway, without further ado - the Laser Pistol!

P.S. Trooper talk is hard. Anyone feel free to make it more believeable/consistent.

[EDIT - CHANGED FLUFF TEXT SLIGHTLY] Edited by Fred the Goat

I think it's good, but I have one remark: would they really limit the rate of fire that way? What if in an emergency your life would depend on an extra shot, but you can't until 1.5 sec later (in other words: after that muton fried your a$$)?
Perhaps there's an emergency override, that allows you to fire if really, but only if really needed (judged by the soldier in the field)
Anyway, just a thought. Other than that I like it.

Hmm...it's a cool idea, but I think that for one thing, how would that work in the game? Why not always use the override, or would it sometimes blow up the pistol? Also, in real life there probably wouldn't be an override, primarily because any freaked out soldier would probably push it and blow their hands off berserking. A second passes a heck of a lot faster when you're pumped full of adrenaline.

I had to have a reason to limit the autofire to three shots, and I figured the best way to go about that was to add a hardware limitation... You noticed that while I hinted that the laser pistol could be fired up to six times in auto fire mode without any side effects, I used the "Engineers like to err on the side of caution" reason to limit it.

Also Fred is right that if we allowed the laser pistol to be pushed over the limit once, why not keep doing it everytime?

I agree...it's a well thought-out reason for the 3-shot limit, and realistically, a trooper would disable the safety at the first opportunity. If I remember correctly, the M-16 had/has a 3-round burst limiter. It was famous for being the first thing removed once a grunt learned how to assemble the weapon.

-The Captain

Very nice. I agree with all the three shot limit stuff said. It sounds and feels perfectly acceptable as is. One tiny thing...

[quote]Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla [b]recieved[/b] various minor wounds and burns.[/quote]
Unless this is an American spelling im not aware of, its spelt 'received'.

Oh, and one more thing. I dont like the bit at the end of the text. The idea of adding a real life example is great, but the format you have used is too complicated. Can I suggest an after-incident interview with a squad member of the unlucky Griz? If you want examples, take a look at the Armor texts. Fred the Goat does some great interviews.

Armor texts are [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=1774"]here[/url].

Hey -

I agree with Miceless. I think its best to keep the same type of flluff quote as started by Fred the Goat. If someone would like to take a wing at it, that would be great.

Otherwise, I really like the entry. Everything is explained to the point where your not left going, "what the...".

I think this entry is ready for the Asset List (at least in draft form), and with a new quote and everyones permission I'll change that to completed.

Let me know if you all feel its ready.
Gold

Wait...what the...? THAT WAS MY FLUFF TEXT YOU SILLY PERSONS!

The nerve of some people, advising me to read my own fluff texts in order to better understand how to write fluff texts...

Ok, I'll change it.

[EDIT]

BTW, I have to say, I am flattered that the first reaction to a less-than-satisfactory bit of fluff, albeit my own, is to point the fluff writer to my other quotes. :pink: Edited by Fred the Goat

Hey,
Love the new fluff text :wub: , but this sentence struck me as somewhat odd:
[quote]Left him in the medic compartment for weeks[/quote]

I didn't really get it the first few reads through... maybe you'll want to change it to something like "He was stuck in medical for weeks. They say he was lucky that he didn't lose his hand."

[quote name='Fred the Goat' date='Jul 30 2003, 10:18 AM']Wait...what the...?  THAT WAS MY FLUFF TEXT YOU SILLY PERSONS!

The nerve of some people, advising me to read my own fluff texts in order to better understand how to write fluff texts...

Ok, I'll change it.

[EDIT]

BTW, I have to say, I am flattered that the first reaction to a less-than-satisfactory bit of fluff, albeit my own, is to point the fluff writer to my other quotes.    :pink:[/quote]
Your fluff quote are great FtG. Obviously I would not point you to your own posts. I though tzuchan had written this and I was showing him your posts. Who wrote this originally?

Anyway, with regard to the new fluff text...

My only problem with this fluff text is that it makes the X-Corps scientists/engineers look bad. I mean surely they would have tested it and found this problem way before it got in the field. Perhaps the fluff text should come from a scientist/engineer in a testing area instead of a soldier?

Anyway, as it is now here are my specific comments.

[quote]Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, Ensign Sam Mugalla, known around the unit as Grizzly, or Griz, got tired of being shot at, you know, had a little shell shock, and bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his laser pistol, something R & D had just cooked up.[/quote]
I think that sentence has to win one (or both) of "Longest Sentence of the Year Award" and "Most Commas in Single Sentence Award". Can you cut it into smaller bits?

[quote]Left him in the medic compartment for weeks.[/quote]
As said by tzuchan this could be better. Perhaps...
"That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks."

[quote]Now they have a safety override.  Call it the Grizzly Circuit.[/quote]
You either mean...
"Now they have a safety override, called the Grizzly Circuit."
... or ...
"Now they have a safety override. We mockingly call it the Grizzly Circuit."

[quote name='miceless' date='Jul 30 2003, 05:40 AM']Anyway, with regard to the new fluff text...

My only problem with this fluff text is that it makes the X-Corps scientists/engineers look bad. I mean surely they would have tested it and found this problem way before it got in the field. Perhaps the fluff text should come from a scientist/engineer in a testing area instead of a soldier?[/quote]
One way around that might be to say that when they first got the laser pistols, they did what Cpt. Boxershorts says soldiers usually do, and removed the limiters. Then when poor old Griz;s laser pistol blew up in his hand, they never did it again.

That would work fine.

However, that says that the scientists/engineers werent able to make it so that the soldiers cant do that sort of thing. Who're supposed to be the technical ones here?

Probrably because they never expected anyone to do that. Remember, they have to design this things to be relatively easy for the people who use them to service the weapons and make field repairs. That meant that at the very least they'd have to tell them which part of the gun does what. Armed with that sort of knowledge, the soldiers might have only been required to figure out, and pull out/by pass/ burn out, the approapriate circuit board/chip/wirings.

Alot of the time, when well engineered things fail, you can be pretty sure it's because of one thing even the world's best engineering team can't predict. The human factor.

i think that its the soldiers to be quoted. The scientists are some really cowards (unless you are so bloddy lucky to hire Gordon Freeman), and have no experience in a life fire situasion, and what is best in such. Therefore they should just say "hey, why put the lock in there? they should be able to just fire 1 shot at a time. No biggie."

I think the scientists would assume the soldiers were all stoopid and would make absolutely sure they couldnt do anything wrong with the gun.

That would make for a really funny fluff text. The head scientist says that all soldiers are stoopid.

[quote]You either mean...
"Now they have a safety override, called the Grizzly Circuit."
... or ...
"Now they have a safety override. We mockingly call it the Grizzly Circuit."[/quote]

Nope. I'm quoting her. Grammar doesn't apply. Everything else, though, I'll change, including the supersentence. ^_^ And I was aware that you guys thought it was someone else's quotes, I was just giving you a hard time for it. :D

Okay, here's my reworked quote. I also knocked Sandra down to Captain. Because I can. :LOL: I think I'll kick her back up to Lieutenant if she shows up in a later quote. Tell me what you think.

[EDIT - ADDED THE ACTUAL TEXT] Edited by Fred the Goat

[quote name='Fred the Goat' date='Jul 30 2003, 09:12 PM']Nope.  I'm quoting her.  Grammar doesn't apply.[/quote]
Fair enough. Looks good now. Good job.

:happybanana: Edited by miceless

• 10 months later...
Is this topic finished and such? I have been having problems proofreading it due to incorrect spacing in microsoft word. Ill let bruenor take a look at it Edited by blehm

• 2 weeks later...
nice

• 6 months later...
LASER PISTOL
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/Laser Pistol

The XLW-01 Laser Pistol is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry has both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, it should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the primary advantage of the XLW-01 over the current standard sidearm is its virtually unlimited firing capacity. Unlike conventional pistols, which hold no more than 15 rounds, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge.

The laser pistol can be broken down into four main components: the laser core, located in the front half of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the laser core, which includes the trigger and the secondary capacitor; the primary capacitor, located in the handle; and the cooling system, sheathed around both the secondary capacitor and the laser core, and extending into the heat exchanger along the bottom of the barrel.

Early rate of fire problems were solved by the addition of the secondary capacitor. This also acts as a safety precaution, buffering the user in case of primary capacitor discharge. The primary capacitor acts as the "magazine" of the XLW-01, holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charged when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate approximately 20 seconds after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a rate of fire of 1 per 0.4s, the laser pistol cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond ten shots. The cooling system no longer provides adequate heat dissipation of the core, resulting in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. Maintaining the rate of fire for up to six shots and beyond has a tendency to cause stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core, as well as shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. As such, the XLW-01 has been limited to a maximum of three shots in rapid fire mode. After that, safety mechanisms will take effect and prevent the laser pistol from being fired until core cooling is complete. At room temperature, this takes between .5 and 1.5 seconds, however ambient temperature will increase or decrease this time accordingly.

It should be noted that the laser pistol can sustain a rate of one discharge per second without any serious repercussion. Agents MUST be warned that attempts of overriding the three shot limit or attempting to bypass the secondary capacitors are likely to result in missing limbs or even cause death.

Preliminary reports from agents assigned this weapon indicate that most agents have found the laser pistol to be extremely effective and recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced with the laser pistol. Field tests indicate that the major drawback of this new weapon is the difficulty of field repairs due to the intricate electronics. As such, a newer model that can be broken down into several standardized components has been developed. Damaged mechanisms can be easily replaced with new systems, or by cannibalizing another damaged laser pistol. This standardized layout will be incorporated into all further laser designs.

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed scout for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs. We had them pinpointed, and we were closing fast. After a small firefight, we had one left, firing out of some bushes. We didn't have any injuries so far, so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, Ensign Sam Mugalla, known around the unit as Grizzly, or Griz, got tired of being shot at, you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his laser pistol, something RD had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.
He scared that little bug-eyed freak to death, and then shot it some more just for good measure. I kept calling him back to formation, but I figured he'd shoot until he was good and ready to come back. Then the pistol overloaded right in his hand. That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks. Now they have a tamper-proof fully integrated safety override. They call it the Grizzly Circuit."

- Captain Sandra Campori

• 2 months later...
The usual stuff: [color="red"]Red text[/color] indicates additions, [color="orange"]orange text[/color] indicates deletions, and [color="blue"][i]blue text[/i][/color] indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets], capitalizations of the word "Alien", and British spellings replaced by American ones are not denoted.

[LASER PISTOL]
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/[Laser Pistol]

The [XLW-01 Laser Pistol] is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry has both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, it should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the primary advantage of the [XLW-01] over the current standard sidearm is its virtually unlimited firing capacity. Unlike conventional pistols, which hold no more than 15 rounds, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge.

[color="blue"][i]Isn't the laser pistol also faster and more accurate than other Terran weapons? Maybe mention it and attribute it to lack of recoil?[/i][/color]

The [laser pistol] can be broken down into four main components: the laser core, located in the front half of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the laser core, which includes the trigger and the secondary capacitor; the primary capacitor, located in the handle; and the cooling system, sheathed around both the secondary capacitor and the laser core, and extending into the heat exchanger along the bottom of the barrel.

[color="blue"][i]Suggest reorganizing so that the primary capacitor comes before the secondary one, while keeping the core before the firing mechanism. Minor tweaks added, too.
[quote][color="blue"]The [laser pistol] can be broken down into four main components: the primary capacitor, located in the handle; the laser core, located in the anterior half (portion?) of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the core and includes the trigger and secondary capacitor; and the cooling system, encasing both the secondary capacitor and the laser core and extending into the heat exhanger along the underside of the barrel.[/color][/quote][/i][/color]
Early rate of fire problems [color="blue"][i]issues?[/i][/color] were solved by the addition of the secondary capacitor. This [color="blue"][i]"This" is vague; it can refer to the "addition" or the "secondary capacitor"[/i][/color]also acts as a safety precaution [color="blue"][i]Suggest: "This addition enhances the safety of the [laser pistol][/i][/color], buffering the user in case of primary capacitor discharge. The primary capacitor acts as the "magazine" [color="blue"][i]magazine-equivalent?[/i][/color] of the [XLW-01], holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only [color="orange"]charged[/color] [color="red"]charging[/color] when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate approximately 20 seconds after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a [color="blue"][i]maximum?[/i][/color] rate of fire of 1 per 0.4s [color="blue"][i]2.5 shots per second?[/i][/color], the [laser pistol] cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond ten shots. The cooling system no longer provides [color="blue"][i]is unable to provide?[/i][/color] adequate heat dissipation of the core, resulting in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases[color="red"],[/color] catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. Maintaining the [color="blue"][i]maximum?[/i][/color] rate of fire for up to six shots and beyond [color="blue"][i]beyond three shots?[/i][/color] has a tendency to cause stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core [color="blue"][i]risks the formation of stress fractures in the laser core?[/i][/color], [color="orange"]as well as[/color] shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. As such, the [XLW-01] has been limited to a maximum of three shots in rapid fire mode. After that, safety mechanisms will take effect and prevent the [laser pistol] from being fired until core cooling is complete. [color="blue"][i]Suggest: "As such, the [XLW-01] has can fire three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently."[/i][/color] At room temperature, this takes between .5 and 1.5 seconds, however ambient temperature [color="blue"][i]other ambient temperatures?[/i][/color] will increase or decrease this time accordingly.

It should be noted that the [laser pistol] can sustain a rate of one discharge per second without any serious repercussion [color="blue"][i]without overheating the core?[/i][/color]. Agents MUST be warned that attempts of overriding the three shot limit or attempting to bypass the secondary capacitors are likely to result in missing limbs or even cause death [color="blue"][i]severe injury, or even death?[/i][/color].

Preliminary reports from [color="orange"]agents assigned this weapon indicate that[/color] most agents have found the [laser pistol] to be extremely effective [color="blue"][i]Maybe: "Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the [laser pistol], and we recommend..."[/i][/color] and recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced with the laser pistol. Field tests indicate that the major drawback of this new weapon is the difficulty of field repairs due to the intricate electronics. As such, a newer model that can be broken down into several standardized components has been developed. Damaged mechanisms can be easily replaced with new systems, or by cannibalizing another damaged [laser pistol]. This standardized layout will be incorporated into all further [color="blue"][i]future? successive?[/i][/color] laser designs.

[color="blue"][i]Everything from "Field tests indicate that the major drawback..." isn't really a part of the gameplay; suggest deleting and moving the remaining sentence to the end of the first paragraph.[/i][/color]

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed [color="red"]Probe[/color] for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs[color="red"]; we[/color] [color="orange"]. We[/color] had them pinpointed[color="orange"], and we[/color] [color="red"]and[/color] were closing fast. After a small [color="blue"][i]brief?[/i][/color] firefight, we had one left [color="blue"][i]there was only one left?[/i][/color], firing out of some bushes. We didn't have any injuries so far [color="blue"][i]"We hadn't taken any casualties yet"?[/i][/color], so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, Ensign Sam Mugalla, known around the unit as Grizzly, or Griz , [color="blue"][i]Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla, ?[/i][/color] got tired of being shot at, [color="blue"][i]and, ?[/i][/color] you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his [laser pistol], something [RD] [color="blue"][i]We'll figure this out after the Xenocide Organizational Scheme gets figured out... :P[/i][/color] had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

He scared that little bug-eyed freak to death, and then shot it some more just for good measure. I kept calling him back to formation, but I figured he'd shoot until he was good and ready to come back. Then the pistol overloaded right in his hand. That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks. Now they have a tamper-proof[color="red"],[/color] fully[color="red"]-[/color]integrated safety override [color="blue"][i]mechanism?[/i][/color]. They call it the Grizzly Circuit."
- Captain Sandra Campori Edited by Astyanax

two little things I noticed just flying over the text:

1) the first paragraph probably shouldn't state the exact standard pistol clip capacity. this capacity might change for various reasons later (including players using weapon editors like those that exist for the original games :P ) so it should probably read: [color="blue"]Unlike conventional pistols, which require the soldier to keep track of the remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge.[/color]

2) the fluff text is really cool, but it refers to a combat x-corps soldiers were in, but which the player never experienced. this would strike me as strange... "are there several x-corps commanders?" "why wasn't I commanding this battle?" "who the heck is using prototype weapons in field tests without [i]my[/i] authorization?" :D

Good points, Moriarty.

I can see where you're coming from on your second point, but how do you feel about soldier names in various fluffs? In most cases, the soldier names/captains/recruits/etc. aren't actually in the game, so in a sense, those fluffs refer to actual x-corps soldiers that aren't in the player's roster...

Guest Azrael
It's probably more obvious cause it's a captain. This has been talked over several times, all fluffs have names of scientists (which are all anonymous in the game, so no problem there :)) and soldiers of all kinds. For now we don't have a fixed solution on this, probably can be solved by removing all soldier names and leaving them anonymous. "-X-Corps Trooper/rookie/soldier"

• 3 weeks later...
Next version. I've left the fluff issue alone for the time being.

I've also included changes into the text without indicating deletions to improve readability, so please note any issues. I expect quite a few, actually. :P

I've applied Moriarty's suggestion to paragraph 1, sentence 4 as well.

[color="blue"]Blue[/color] denotes replacement text that I've [i]made up myself[/i] to address the comments in my last post-- this is where I believe most comments will focus on. :)

This might be difficult to see in the text, but the first sentence from paragraph 6 has been modified and appended to the first paragraph, and the remainder of paragraph 6 has been deleted.

[quote][LASER PISTOL]

The [XLW-01 Laser Pistol] is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry has both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, it should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the primary advantages of the [XLW-01] [color="blue"]are its lack of recoil, which allows this weapon to be fired more quickly and accurately than our current standard sidearm, as well as its unlimited firing capacity[/color]. Unlike conventional pistols, which require [color="blue"]soldiers[/color] to keep track of [color="blue"]their[/color] remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. [color="blue"]Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the [laser pistol], and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced with the [laser pistol].[/color]

[color="blue"]The [laser pistol] can be broken down into four main components: the primary capacitor, located in the handle; the laser core, located in the anterior half of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the core and includes the trigger and secondary capacitor; and the cooling system, encasing both the secondary capacitor and the laser core and extending into the heat exhanger along the underside of the barrel.[/color]

Early rate of fire [color="blue"]issues[/color] were solved by the addition of the secondary capacitor. [color="blue"]This addition enhances the safety of the [laser pistol][/color], buffering the user in case of primary capacitor discharge. The primary capacitor acts as the [color="blue"]magazine-equivalent[/color] of the [XLW-01], holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate approximately 20 seconds after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a [color="blue"]maximum[/color] rate of fire of [color="blue"]2.5 shots per second[/color], the [laser pistol] cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond ten shots. The cooling system [color="blue"]is unable to provide[/color] adequate heat dissipation of the core, resulting in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. Maintaining this rate of fire [color="blue"]beyond three shots invariably[/color] causes stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core and shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. [color="blue"]As such, the [XLW-01] has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.[/color] At room temperature, this [color="blue"]can take anywhere[/color] between .5 and 1.5 seconds, however the ambient temperature will increase or decrease this time accordingly.

It should be noted that the [laser pistol] can [color="blue"]easily[/color] sustain a rate of one discharge per second without [color="blue"]overheating the core[/color]. Agents MUST be warned that attempts [color="blue"]to override[/color] the three shot limit[color="blue"]ation[/color] or bypass the secondary capacitor are likely to result in [color="blue"]severe injury or even death[/color].

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed [color="blue"]Recon UFO[/color] for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs; we had them pinpointed and were closing fast. After a [color="blue"]brief[/color] firefight, [color="blue"]there was only one left[/color], firing out of some bushes. [color="blue"]We hadn't taken any casualties yet[/color], so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, [color="blue"]Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla,[/color] got tired of being shot at, [color="blue"]and,[/color] you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his [laser pistol], something [R&D] had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

He scared that little bug-eyed freak to death, and then shot it some more just for good measure. I kept calling him back to formation, but I figured he'd shoot until he was good and ready to come back. Then the pistol overloaded right in his hand. That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks. Now they have a tamper-proof, fully-integrated safety [color="blue"]mechanism[/color]. They call it the Grizzly Circuit."
- Captain Sandra Campori[/quote][i]Edit- mikker noted that the Probe is a one-man UFO, so it has been changed to "Recon UFO".[/i] Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Apr 22 2005, 01:51 PM']The [XLW-01 Laser Pistol] is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry has both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, it should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the primary advantages of the [XLW-01] are its lack of recoil, which allows this weapon to be fired more quickly [color="red"]and accurately than our current standard sidearm,[/color] as well as its unlimited firing capacity. Unlike conventional pistols, which require [color="blue"]soldiers[/color] to keep track of [color="blue"]their[/color] remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. [color="blue"]Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the [laser pistol], and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced with the [laser pistol].[/color][/quote]
After a quick look in Ufopedia I think I would eliminate the increased accuracy statement. I think laser accuracy decrease may be explained because there's some delay between pushing the triger and the actual laser pulse creation and usually the target moves fast.
Even if the secondary capacitor is fully charged, first that energy must excite atoms until the ratio excited/unexcited reaches a threshold value and only after the laser pulse is created.
I don't know, I think the conventional sideweapon is more accurate than the laser pistol.

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Apr 22 2005, 03:14 PM']Thanks, dan2; I'll make sure to change it in the next version.  I didn't know where to find UFOpedia info, though now that I think about it, there should be one around here somewhere... :P
[right][post="117912"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Top-left corner on your window on XCOMUFO --> UFO --> Ufopedia
I'm not quite sure about the numbers inthere, but they must be close, anyway

Thanks an bunch, dan2. :) It looks like the laser pistol is neither more accurate (it isn't) nor faster (only the auto-shot for laser is faster) than the regular pistol. So much for my hazy recollection of the original X-Com. :(

Hrm, do you have any idea about the comparative masses of the pistol and its laser variant? Is the laser pistol lighter or not?

How about ([color="purple"]purple[/color] for older changes, [color="blue"]blue[/color] for new changes):
[quote]The [XLW-01 Laser Pistol] is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry [color="blue"]offers[/color] both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, [color="blue"]the [XLW-01][/color] should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the [color="blue"][XLW-01]'s primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its unlimited firing capacity.[/color] Unlike conventional pistols, which require [color="purple"]soldiers[/color] to keep track of [color="purple"]their[/color] remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. [color="purple"]Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the [laser pistol], and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced with the [laser pistol].[/color][/quote]- Changed "has" to "offers" to reduce passive tense (sentence 2)
- Substituted "the [XLW-01]" for "it" because "it" could refer to either the "laser pistol" or "heavier conventional weaponry". (sentence 2)
- Fixed the accuracy/faster line to something more, well, accurate. (sentence 3) ^_^

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Apr 25 2005, 12:24 PM']Thanks an bunch, dan2. :) It looks like the laser pistol is neither more accurate (it isn't) nor faster (only the auto-shot for laser is faster) than the regular pistol.  So much for my hazy recollection of the original X-Com. :(

Hrm, do you have any idea about the comparative masses of the pistol and its laser variant?  Is the laser pistol lighter or not?[/quote]
The only good things for laser pistol were unlimited ammo and a better damage. I think weight is stored in obdata.dat file, but I don't think they are really different in weight, so the weight is not a plus for laser pistol. If it is lighter, it's a minor difference (below 10%).

Thanks for the explanation, dan2.

Next version. [color="blue"]Blue[/color] shows my alterations to the text (deletions are not denoted).

[quote][LASER PISTOL]

The [XLW-01 Laser Pistol] is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry [color="blue"]offers[/color] both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, [color="blue"]the [XLW-01][/color] should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the [color="blue"][XLW-01]'s primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its unlimited firing capacity.[/color] Unlike conventional pistols, which require [color="blue"]soldiers[/color] to keep track of [color="blue"]their[/color] remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. [color="blue"]Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the [laser pistol], and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced with the [laser pistol].[/color]

[color="blue"]The [laser pistol] can be broken down into four main components: the primary capacitor, located in the handle; the laser core, located in the anterior half of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the core and includes the trigger and secondary capacitor; and the cooling system, encasing both the secondary capacitor and the laser core and extending into the heat exhanger along the underside of the barrel.[/color]

Early rate of fire [color="blue"]issues[/color] were solved by the addition of the secondary capacitor. [color="blue"]This addition enhances the safety of the [laser pistol][/color], buffering the user in case of primary capacitor discharge. The primary capacitor acts as the [color="blue"]magazine-equivalent[/color] of the [XLW-01], holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate approximately 20 seconds after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a [color="blue"]maximum[/color] rate of fire of [color="blue"]2.5 shots per second[/color], the [laser pistol] cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond ten shots. The cooling system [color="blue"]is unable to provide[/color] adequate heat dissipation of the core, resulting in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. Maintaining this rate of fire [color="blue"]beyond three shots invariably[/color] causes stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core and shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. [color="blue"]As such, the [XLW-01] has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.[/color] At room temperature, this [color="blue"]can take anywhere[/color] between .5 and 1.5 seconds, however the ambient temperature will increase or decrease this time accordingly.

It should be noted that the [laser pistol] can [color="blue"]easily[/color] sustain a rate of one discharge per second without [color="blue"]overheating the core[/color]. Agents MUST be warned that attempts [color="blue"]to override[/color] the three shot limit[color="blue"]ation[/color] or bypass the secondary capacitor are likely to result in [color="blue"]severe injury or even death[/color].

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed [color="blue"]Recon UFO[/color] for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs; we had them pinpointed and were closing fast. After a [color="blue"]brief[/color] firefight, [color="blue"]there was only one left[/color], firing out of some bushes. [color="blue"]We hadn't taken any casualties yet[/color], so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, [color="blue"]Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla,[/color] got tired of being shot at, [color="blue"]and,[/color] you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his [laser pistol], something [R&D] had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

He scared that little bug-eyed freak to death, and then shot it some more just for good measure. I kept calling him back to formation, but I figured he'd shoot until he was good and ready to come back. Then the pistol overloaded right in his hand. That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks. Now they have a tamper-proof, fully-integrated safety [color="blue"]mechanism[/color]. They call it the Grizzly Circuit."
- Captain Sandra Campori[/quote]

:huh?: I haven't the slightest idea why I was writing fluffs for the laser pistol in the "Submit Your Fluff Texts" thread, but here they are:
[quote]"What in the world were those boys thinking- taking a laser pistol into a house of mirrors? ...those morons..."
- Sergeant Jeremy Miller[/quote][quote]"Dammit!  What good are we supposed to be doing?!  We sent those boys in with our latest laser prototypes, and what do we have?!  Ten more names on our MIA list, ten more honest fellas at the mercy of those damned Aliens!  ...After all our work, our best tech... it's still not enough!  What's wrong with our design?  Why wasn't it enough?"
"It was the best we had, Brand... it was all we could've done..."
*sigh* "...yeah..."
"...c'mon, dear, it's late.  We should get some sleep."
"You're right, hon... maybe things will look better in the morning."
"Of course they will, of course they will.  We've got a lot of work ahead of us..."
- a late night conversation between Drs. Brandon and Megan McKenna, leading experts in laser weapons design[/quote]
The second one was my attempt at a more serious fluff, but it doesn't really fit with the mood of the text. The first one could fit in somewhere, I think. Any other comments on the fluffs or the text?

Guest Azrael
Working with the XML schema gave me idea, if I'm not mistaken the schema could be made to allow random fluffs to appear every time the text is discovered. Since my knowledge on the matter is limited, I'd have to ask Centurion or others about it, but I think it's doable, in fact, with the new release I could actually try it, I'll take a look, but I'll wait before actually working on it, I don't wanna stomp into someone's plans :) Edited by Azrael

*sees Azrael stomping around for some reason*

Multiple fluffs via the XML schema... that could be a fun idea! More fluffs for everyone! We might even be able to implement a limited form of a "Fighting for Dummies" list. :)

But you're right; we still have a ways to go with our CTs before playing around with something that exotic.