XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Laser Pistol

tzuchan

[quote]Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a [color="blue"]maximum[/color] rate of fire of [color="blue"]2.5 shots per second[/color], the [laser pistol] cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond ten shots. The cooling system [color="blue"]is unable to provide[/color] adequate heat dissipation of the core, resulting in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. Maintaining this rate of fire [color="blue"]beyond three [/color] [color="red"]shots per second[/color] [color="blue"]invariably[/color] causes stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core and shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. [color="blue"]As such, the [XLW-01] has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.[/color] At room temperature, this [color="blue"]can take anywhere[/color] between .5 and 1.5 seconds, however the ambient temperature will increase or decrease this time accordingly.[/quote]

Hrm, I don't think "three shots per second" is accurate because it previously said that the maximum rate of fire is 2.5 shots per second. But it's good that you pointed it out, though; the text is a bit confusing. Maybe it would make more sense by changing some of the units: "shots" to "seconds"? I've also taken the liberty of changing the times slightly to make the numbers easier to work with for the time being. They can be changed back if objections arise. Old changes are in [color="blue"]blue[/color], new changes in [color="green"]green[/color].
[quote name='dan2' date='May 11 2005, 09:41 AM']Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a [color="blue"]maximum[/color] rate of fire of [color="green"]three[/color] [color="blue"]shots per second[/color], the [laser pistol] cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond [color="green"]three seconds[/color]. The cooling system [color="blue"]is unable to provide[/color] adequate heat dissipation of the core, resulting in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. [color="green"]Tests have shown that[/color] maintaining this rate of fire [color="green"]in excess of one second invariably (alternatively, "Tests have shown that firing four shots or more at this maximum rate invariably..."[/color] causes stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core and shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. [color="blue"]As such, the [XLW-01] has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.[/color] At room temperature, this [color="blue"]can take anywhere[/color] between .5 and 1.5 seconds, however the ambient temperature will increase or decrease this time accordingly.[/quote] Edited by Astyanax

I'm not sure if rate of fire should be reported per second at all.
How about they found the fastest fire rate which prevents overheating?
Oh well, I don't know..... Edited by dan2

I'm not exactly sure what part you're referring to...?

Hm, the way I see it, seconds and shots are interchangeable. Say a laser pistol can sustain a maximum rate of fire of three shots per second for three seconds. So in three seconds, it will have fired 9 shots (3 shots x 3 seconds). This is the same as saying the maximum rate of fire of three shots per second can be sustained for 9 shots.

[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 13 2005, 11:45 AM']I'm not exactly sure what part you're referring to...?

Hm, the way I see it, seconds and shots are interchangeable.  Say a laser pistol can sustain a maximum rate of fire of three shots per second for three seconds.  So in three seconds, it will have fired 9 shots (3 shots x 3 seconds).  This is the same as saying the maximum rate of fire of three shots per second can be sustained for 9 shots.
[right][post="119452"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
My difficulty comes from the fact that X-Com was turn based, but I don't know how many seconds a turn has. And I know on full auto, a laser pistol fires 12 times per turn, which is a quite high number. But ignore me, I'm not sure myself of this

Hm, good point.

I don't know... I think this might be unavoidable. You're right that since X-Com is turn-based, any mention of time is suspect.

At the moment, it looks like this Laser Pistol CT is the only one among the laser texts that mentions "seconds". I'm not really sure whether we should keep them in or remove all mention of seconds, but I'm leaning towards the former option, which is easier. ^_^

Let's see what our new fearless leader has to say:
HALLOOOOO SENIOR AZRAEL!!! A CTD CRISIS IS BREWING!!! :P

Latest version with "seconds" still included. Changes are in [color="blue"]blue[/color][quote][LASER PISTOL]
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/[Laser Pistol]

The [XLW-01 Laser Pistol] is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry [color="blue"]offers[/color] both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, [color="blue"]the [XLW-01][/color] should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the [color="blue"][XLW-01]'s primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its unlimited firing capacity.[/color] Unlike conventional pistols, which require [color="blue"]soldiers[/color] to keep track of [color="blue"]their[/color] remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. [color="blue"]Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the [laser pistol], and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced with the [laser pistol].[/color]

[color="blue"]The [laser pistol] can be broken down into four main components: the primary capacitor, located in the handle; the laser core, located in the anterior half of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the core and includes the trigger and secondary capacitor; and the cooling system, encasing both the secondary capacitor and the laser core and extending into the heat exhanger along the underside of the barrel.[/color]

Early rate of fire [color="blue"]issues[/color] were solved by the addition of the secondary capacitor. [color="blue"]This addition enhances the safety of the [laser pistol][/color], buffering the user in case of primary capacitor discharge. The primary capacitor acts as the [color="blue"]magazine-equivalent[/color] of the [XLW-01], holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate approximately 20 seconds after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a [color="blue"]maximum[/color] rate of fire of [color="blue"]three[/color] [color="blue"]shots per second[/color], the [laser pistol] cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond [color="blue"]three seconds[/color]. The cooling system [color="blue"]is unable to provide[/color] adequate heat dissipation of the core, resulting in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. [color="blue"]Tests have shown that[/color] maintaining this rate of fire [color="blue"]in excess of one second invariably (alternatively, "Tests have shown that firing four shots or more at this maximum rate invariably..."[/color] causes stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core and shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. [color="blue"]As such, the [XLW-01] has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.[/color] At room temperature, this [color="blue"]can take anywhere[/color] between .5 and 1.5 seconds, however the ambient temperature will increase or decrease this time accordingly.

It should be noted that the [laser pistol] can [color="blue"]easily[/color] sustain a rate of one discharge per second without [color="blue"]overheating the core[/color]. Agents MUST be warned that attempts [color="blue"]to override[/color] the three shot limit[color="blue"]ation[/color] or bypass the secondary capacitor are likely to result in [color="blue"]severe injury or even death[/color].

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed [color="blue"]Recon UFO[/color] for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs; we had them pinpointed and were closing fast. After a [color="blue"]brief[/color] firefight, [color="blue"]there was only one left[/color], firing out of some bushes. [color="blue"]We hadn't taken any casualties yet[/color], so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, [color="blue"]Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla,[/color] got tired of being shot at, [color="blue"]and,[/color] you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his [laser pistol], something [R&D] had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

He scared that little bug-eyed freak to death, and then shot it some more just for good measure. I kept calling him back to formation, but I figured he'd shoot until he was good and ready to come back. Then the pistol overloaded right in his hand. That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks. Now they have a tamper-proof, fully-integrated safety [color="blue"]mechanism[/color]. They call it the Grizzly Circuit."
- Captain Sandra Campori[/quote] Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 13 2005, 12:21 PM']Hm, good point.

I don't know... I think this might be unavoidable.  You're right that since X-Com is turn-based, any mention of time is suspect.

At the moment, it looks like this Laser Pistol CT is the only one among the laser texts that mentions "seconds".  I'm not really sure whether we should keep them in or remove all mention of seconds, but I'm leaning towards the former option, which is easier. ^_^

HALLOOOOO SENIOR AZRAEL!!!  A CTD CRISIS IS BREWING!!! :P
[right][post="119462"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Maybe they were able to find the optimal rate of fire which is inverse proportional with the size of the weapon. You know, the cooling depends very much on the proportion surface/mass. The safety circuits just take care to prevent any faster firing. Oh, well......
No need for times or seconds, I guess, but it's your option :) Edited by dan2

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 13 2005, 02:21 PM']Hm, good point.

I don't know... I think this might be unavoidable.  You're right that since X-Com is turn-based, any mention of time is suspect.

At the moment, it looks like this Laser Pistol CT is the only one among the laser texts that mentions "seconds".  I'm not really sure whether we should keep them in or remove all mention of seconds, but I'm leaning towards the former option, which is easier. ^_^

HALLOOOOO SENIOR AZRAEL!!!  A CTD CRISIS IS BREWING!!! :P[/quote]
Sorry I took so long, I'm still catching up with the piled-up work :)
I've read the conflicting part and you're completely right about it, it'd certainly mean 9 shots in three seconds, but please take note that making an Auto shot means spending 25% of the TUs, which means that in one turn, the trooper could shoot a maximum of 12 shots. So, having this in mind, I suggest we change it a bit...

"Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a maximum rate of fire of three shots per second, the [laser pistol] cannot sustain this rate of fire beyond [color="blue"]four[/color] seconds."

Not a big big change, but it'll make a bit more sense, now a trooper can fire up to 12 times in a single turn, spending ALL TUs of course, but that's a maximum, and would happen in the event of having the target right in front of it.
Any opinions? :)

[quote name='Azrael']Sorry I took so long, I'm still catching up with the piled-up work :)[/quote]Nah, we didn't wait long- it was a question that just popped up the other day. You're not late. :)

Good idea about referring to the time units, Az, but would mean that a turn is 4 seconds long... Is that ok? Is that realistic in terms of soldier movement speed (e.g. a soldier can move xx distance in 4 seconds)? Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 15 2005, 11:51 AM']Good idea about referring to the time units, Az, but would mean that a turn is 4 seconds long...  Is that ok?  Is that realistic in terms of soldier movement speed (e.g. a soldier can move xx distance in 4 seconds)?
[right][post="119630"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
XCom3:Apocalypse is far better in aproximatin real-life "rate of fire" when compared with soldier movement, but XCom1 and 2 not really. Again, the terms used in descriptions should be comparing weapons (laser against conventional for example), but not really any movement/rate of fire ratio or times. This is my view now, but you can convince me otherwise with good arguments (if any)

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 15 2005, 01:51 PM'][quote name='Azrael']Sorry I took so long, I'm still catching up with the piled-up work :)[/quote]Nah, we didn't wait long- it was a question that just popped up the other day. You're not late. :)

Good idea about referring to the time units, Az, but would mean that a turn is 4 seconds long... Is that ok? Is that realistic in terms of soldier movement speed (e.g. a soldier can move xx distance in 4 seconds)?
[right][post="119630"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
Not precisely, as I see it, this refers solely to the act of pressing the trigger, which can't really take long, the rest of the turn, measured in real time, is probably used in other actions, like aiming (I know it's auto, but a minimal aiming has to take place ;)), cooling of the weapon, etc, no need to get in too many details, but to make it more certain, we can have the weapon cool off in say 3-4 seconds? that would make the turn *at least* 8-9 seconds long, not counting other factors :)

Of course, if you find this too conflictive, we can always cut the reference to seconds, and compare it against conventional weapons, as dan2 suggested :) Edited by Azrael

Guest Azrael
That's precisely it, I highly doubt no player will ever think that hard to find flaws in our fictional texts, and if he does, I doubt he'll complain, and if he does, we'll remind him that they are fiction and that it's a game "SO GO PLAY IT, DAMMIT :whip:"
But it's nice to keep some details in check, like this four seconds thing, good catch :D

[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 16 2005, 11:37 AM']Nah, I'm just being nitpicky again.  I doubt the player will think this much about the game, and I rather like the use of "seconds". :P
[right][post="119752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Well, we're supposed to please everybody with our texts, including both careless and picky people and also we have to be proud of our work ourselves.
How many times you wished the texts in some games (including X-Com) would be more accurate and helpful?
If it's in our power to give accurate information, but we don't know some other useful information, should we try to construct what we don't know with the fear it might not be accurate at all?
Since this game will not be turn-based, maybe you know somebody in the programming dept. that knows for sure how large the running and firing times for at least several weapons and you can start from there.
What do you think?

Guest Azrael
With what I tried to do, the turn is *at least* 9-10 seconds long, is that enough?
Anyway, I would have wanted to, but I wouldn't stop and analyze in full depth a text to *try* to find mistakes, as something like that would certainly pass unnoticed, I'd just want to play the game :D, we want accurate texts, but not to the point where we have to analyze something we really have no idea what it is, besides, remember that texts will TOO much detail, will bore the player, I'm talking out of personal experience, I like texts that help you immerse into the game, into the fictional world, but when I see extremely long and very technical explanations, I tend to overlook them :(, this is not the case, but I think we're pretty safe with that time.

Well, while I agree with that sentiment, it's just that "time units" are an artificial construction. Until we can say definitively that 1 turn equals xx seconds, we won't be able to accurately mention time in [i]any[/i] CT.

And defining 1 turn to be xx seconds would mean checking over all the texts again for time consistency, making sure that movement speeds are reasonable (for example, is a soldier with 80 time units breaking the world speed record in 1 turn?), and so on. I [i]do[/i] like mentioning "seconds" in the text because it gives a player a solid idea about how the weapon works- and that helps suspension of disbelief, but there are other ways to achieve this.

I like dan2's idea of making a comparison to conventional weapons, and I think that could help players suspend disbelief, too. Maybe we could also emphasize the fact that the regular pistol shoots immediately, but has recoil, while the laser pistol has to charge before firing, but lacks recoil? [i]Then[/i], we could mention that the maximum rate of fire cannot be sustained for very long, and that a safety mechanism exists to prevent damage to the laser core through overheating?

[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 16 2005, 01:13 PM']Well, while I agree with that sentiment, it's just that "time units" are an artificial construction.  Until we can say definitively that 1 turn equals xx seconds, we won't be able to accurately mention time in [i]any[/i] CT.

And defining 1 turn to be xx seconds would mean checking over all the texts again for time consistency, making sure that movement speeds are reasonable (for example, is a soldier with 80 time units breaking the world speed record in 1 turn?), and so on.  I [i]do[/i] like mentioning "seconds" in the text because it gives a player a solid idea about how the weapon works- and that helps suspension of disbelief, but there are other ways to achieve this.

I like dan2's idea of making a comparison to conventional weapons, and I think that could help players suspend disbelief, too.  Maybe we could also emphasize the fact that the regular pistol shoots immediately, but has recoil, while the laser pistol has to charge before firing, but lacks recoil?  [i]Then[/i], we could mention that the maximum rate of fire cannot be sustained for very long, and that a safety mechanism exists to prevent damage to the laser core through overheating?
[right][post="119764"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it.
It's true, when I play the game the first time, I ignore the texts until I get stuck somewhere. But after a while, in order to find better tactics, I do read carefully the texts in the hope one weapon will have certain advantages.
The texts will be in two versions: short intro and long detailed explanations. Plus some fluffs.
Those not interested in texts will not read them anyway or the short intro will be more than sufficient for them, so our job is anyway dedicated for those who do read texts.
I'm not against using times and rates of fire, as long as they're reffered as ratios. Change one and the rest follow. No need to change every text if a change occurs in only one.
Well, thank you for taking my thoughts into consideration :) Edited by dan2

You know, it's odd. I must be becoming more like Az as time goes on... :sly:

When I first came here, I was all gung-ho about changing texts... In some ways, that's still true, but nowadays, I find that sometimes I prefer preservation of the existing text. It might depend on what mood I'm in, though. :P

The thing is, dan2, the way I see it, your ideas would be more accurate and less hassle [i]had they been implemented from the start[/i]; having ratios would definitely simplify things. However, if we implement those changes [i]now[/i], we'd have another thing to remember later, for [u]all[/u] the already existing texts... and I don't like having too many things carrying over between texts. It adds more work and I'm pretty forgetful. :) Looking at things from a cost-benefit angle, we should make sure things don't take more effort for relatively small gains.

Therefore, I think I'm going to throw in a modified suggestion: instead of ratios, I think we should try to minimize direct comparisons between this text and the text in others. General comparisons would be ok: "the laser pistol's maximum rate of fire is considerably faster than that of the standard rifle, but due to the laser pistol's charge time, its single shot mode takes nearly the same amount of time as its autofire mode."

By the same token, I'd prefer to strengthen relevant comparisons between the standard rifle and its laser variant: recoil vs. no recoil, no charging vs. pre-charging, ammo constraints vs. no ammo, no heat concerns vs. overheating issues, etc.

But having said all that, I also wouldn't mind leaving the text more-or-less untouched: we're not striving for 100% perfection (but maybe 95% of perfection) because we do want to finish eventually. :P I agree with Az that too much technical detail bogs down texts, even for the hardcore gamer. Since the XENOpedia will already show time unit costs, can't we just assume that those players will make their own comparisons instead of us making it for them? Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='Astyanax' date='May 17 2005, 12:31 PM']When I first came here, I was all gung-ho about changing texts... In some ways, that's still true, but nowadays, I find that sometimes I prefer preservation of the existing text.  It might depend on what mood I'm in, though. :P

But having said all that, I also wouldn't mind leaving the text more-or-less untouched: we're not striving for 100% perfection (but maybe 95% of perfection) because we do want to finish eventually. :P  I agree with Az that too much technical detail bogs down texts, even for the hardcore gamer.  Since the XENOpedia will already show time unit costs, can't we just assume that those players will make their own comparisons instead of us making it for them?[/quote]
Well, I understand it's not really about demolishing and starting all over, but building already on what we have.
You may admit though that even I usually give long explanations outside the texts, when I apply them, the change in the text in rather small. Or at least that was my impression.
Ok, I agree, we must finish these texts rather soon, so I'm waiting patiently for more texts to show up in this forum.
I'm not sure what you mean by too much technical detail: for example I said "synthetic diamond based LEDs". Is it too much? Too much for me would me explaining the process of growing the diamond crystalls and what elements are used for doping the crystall. But I had to explain it so nobody will say I'm just throwing with words here.
Mentioning that the laser weapon has a power source and where is positioned is for me a good idea, mentioning it's lithium based and provides XX volts would be indeed too much.
But wait for a few more months and I'll join you probably in your thinking, I guess.
Till then, more texts on the assembly line, please :)

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the text without all the mentions about specific times.
I think the fluff is too over...which is the right word here...HUGE!?
[quote][LASER PISTOL]
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/Laser Pistol

The XLW-01 Laser Pistol is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry offers both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, the XLW-01 should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the XLW-01's primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its almost unlimited firing capacity. Unlike conventional pistols, which require soldiers to keep track of their remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the Laser Pistol, and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced by it.

The Laser Pistol can be broken down into four main components: the primary capacitor, located in the handle; the laser core, located in the anterior half of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the core and includes the trigger and secondary capacitor; and the cooling system, encasing both the secondary capacitor and the laser core and extending into the heat exhanger along the underside of the barrel.

Early rate of fire issues were solved by the addition of a secondary capacitor. This addition enhances the safety of the Laser Pistol, buffering the user in case of accidental discharge of the primary capacitor, which acts as the magazine-equivalent of the XLW-01, holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate a short while after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a maximum rate of fire twice larger than the standard Pistol, the Laser Pistol cannot sustain an even higher rate of fire, because the cooling system is unable to provide adequate heat dissipation of the core, that might result in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. Breach of the primary capacitor can cause severe burns, electrocution, or even explosions. Tests have shown that maintaining an excessive rate of fire causes stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core and shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent. As such, the XLW-01 has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.

Agents MUST be warned that attempts to override the three shot limitation or bypass the secondary capacitor are likely to result in severe injury or even death.

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed Recon UFO for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs; we had them pinpointed and were closing fast. After a brief firefight, there was only one left, firing out of some bushes. We hadn't taken any casualties yet, so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla, got tired of being shot at, and, you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his Laser Pistol, something [R&D] had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

He scared that little bug-eyed freak to death, and then shot it some more just for good measure. I kept calling him back to formation, but I figured he'd shoot until he was good and ready to come back. Then the pistol overloaded right in his hand. That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks. Now they have a tamper-proof, fully-integrated safety mechanism. They call it the Grizzly Circuit."
- Captain Sandra Campori[/quote]

• 5 weeks later...
[quote name='Paragraph 3']Early rate of fire issues were solved by the addition of a secondary capacitor. This addition enhances the safety of the Laser Pistol, buffering the user in case of accidental discharge of the primary capacitor, which acts as the magazine-equivalent of the XLW-01, holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate a short while after the finger is removed from the trigger.[/quote]
I think we should mention the secondary capacitor in the Laser Principles CT instead of this text for a couple reasons. Firstly, it is a safety issue for [b]all[/b] laser weapons. Secondly, it is essential in the construction of fast-firing laser weapon- I think this is important enough to classify as a principle in laser design. Since the Laser Principles CT already mentions capacitors, I don't think it'd be too difficult to include secondary capacitors there as well.

[quote name='Paragraph 4']Trials have shown that despite being able to achieve a maximum rate of fire twice larger than the standard Pistol, the Laser Pistol cannot sustain an even higher rate of fire, because the cooling system is unable to provide adequate heat dissipation of the core, that might result in breakdown of the core material, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. [color="purple"]Tests have shown that maintaining an excessive rate of fire causes stress fractures to occur in the laser core, reducing both the effectiveness of the laser core and shortening its life span by as much as eighty percent.[/color] As such, the XLW-01 has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.[/quote]
I think the first sentence is a little unwieldy (I just noticed that "twice larger than" was accidentally included in the original text). Also, the text I've highlighted in [color="purple"]purple[/color] seems a bit redundant with the previous sentence. I've rearranged and modified the text a bit to address these points.
[quote name='Suggestion']Despite being able to achieve a maximum rate of fire nearly twice that of a standard Pistol, the Laser Pistol cannot indefinitely sustain this a rate of fire due to inadequate heat dissipation of the core.  Tests have shown that extreme temperatures can result in severe degradation of core material, reducing both the effectiveness the life span of the laser core by as much as eighty percent, and in some cases, catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. As a result, the XLW-01 has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has cooled sufficiently.[/quote]

edit- has the final name been chosen for this text yet? I didn't see it in the "Final Names" thread. Edited by Astyanax

• 1 year later...

This text does not yet have a final name (it does not appear in the Final Names thread).

Latest version (some revisions in paragraph 4):

LASER PISTOL

The XLW-01 Laser Pistol is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry offers both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, the XLW-01 should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the XLW-01's primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its almost unlimited firing capacity. Unlike conventional pistols, which require soldiers to keep track of their remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the Laser Pistol, and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced by it.

The Laser Pistol can be broken down into four main components: the primary capacitor, located in the handle; the laser core, located in the anterior half of the barrel; the firing mechanism, located behind the core and includes the trigger and secondary capacitor; and the cooling system, encasing both the secondary capacitor and the laser core and extending into the heat exhanger along the underside of the barrel.

Early rate of fire issues were solved by the addition of a secondary capacitor. This addition enhances the safety of the Laser Pistol, buffering the user in case of accidental discharge of the primary capacitor, which acts as the magazine-equivalent of the XLW-01, holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests against the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate a short while after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Despite being able to achieve a maximum rate of fire nearly twice that of a standard Pistol, the Laser Pistol cannot sustain this a rate of fire indefinitely due to inadequate heat dissipation of the core.  Tests have shown that extreme temperatures can result in severe degradation of core material, reducing both the effectiveness and the life span of the laser core by as much as eighty percent, and in some cases, causing the catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. As a result, the XLW-01 has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has sufficiently cooled.

Agents MUST be warned that attempts to override the three shot limitation or bypass the secondary capacitor are likely to result in severe injury or even death.

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed Recon UFO for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs; we had them pinpointed and were closing fast. After a brief firefight, there was only one left, firing out of some bushes. We hadn't taken any casualties yet, so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla, got tired of being shot at, and, you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his Laser Pistol, something [R&D] had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

He scared that little bug-eyed freak to death, and then shot it some more just for good measure. I kept calling him back to formation, but I figured he'd shoot until he was good and ready to come back. Then the pistol overloaded right in his hand. That put him in the medical bay for a few weeks. Now they have a tamper-proof, fully-integrated safety mechanism. They call it the Grizzly Circuit."

- Captain Sandra Campori

Edited by Astyanax

• 1 month later...
Guest Azrael

LASER PISTOL

The XLW-01 Laser Pistol is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry offers both greater accuracy and damage capacity than the laser pistol, the XLW-01 should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the Laser Pistol's primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its almost unlimited firing capacity. Unlike conventional pistols, which require soldiers to keep track of their remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the Laser Pistol, and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced by it.

Early rate of fire issues were solved by the addition of the secondary capacitor. This addition enhances the safety of the Laser Pistol, buffering the user in case of accidental discharge of the primary capacitor, which acts as the magazine-equivalent for the XLW-01, holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests on the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate a short while after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Despite being able to achieve a maximum rate of fire nearly twice that of a standard Pistol, the Laser Pistol cannot sustain this a rate of fire indefinitely due to inadequate heat dissipation of the core. Tests have shown that extreme temperatures can result in severe degradation of core material, reducing both the effectiveness and the life span of the laser core by as much as eighty percent, and in some cases, causing the catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. As a result, the XLW-01 has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has sufficiently cooled.

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed Recon UFO for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs; we had them pinpointed and were closing fast. After a brief firefight, there was only one left, firing out of some bushes. We hadn't taken any casualties yet, so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla, got tired of being shot at, and, you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his Laser Pistol, something R&D had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

- Captain Sandra Campori

• 6 months later...

Looks pretty good to me. One seeming contradiction did catch my eye, though:

In paragraph 1:

Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry offers both better accuracy and greater damage capacity than the laser pistol, the XLW-01 should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the XLW-01's primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its almost unlimited firing capacity.

I know what is being said, but the first sentence compares the heavier weaponry to the laser pistol , while the second one compares the laser pistol to other pistols. The switch in order and objects of comparison could be confusing to people who read too quickly... :)

Hm, changing "almost unlimited firing capacity" to "virtually unlimited firing capacity" might put players' minds at ease, but that's a minor point.

Neither are a big deal, though. It's ready to be complete.

Edited by Astyanax

Ok, so let's call this one finished. 1) would require extensive re-write, 2) was "virtually unlimited" and has been changed to the current wording to increase realism. So I would say we atick to the previous version. good work everyone.

LASER PISTOL

The XLW-01 Laser Pistol is the first of X-Corps' newly developed portable laser weaponry. Despite the fact that heavier conventional weaponry offers both greater accuracy and damage capacity than the laser pistol, the XLW-01 should not be discounted as a sidearm. Field tests indicate that the Laser Pistol's primary advantages over our current standard firearm are its extremely fast auto-fire speed, its increased damage potential, and its almost unlimited firing capacity. Unlike conventional pistols, which require soldiers to keep track of their remaining ammunition, this weapon can last the duration of a sustained firefight on a single charge. Preliminary field trials demonstrate the high combat effectiveness of the Laser Pistol, and we recommend that standard issue handguns be replaced by it.

Early rate of fire issues were solved by the addition of the secondary capacitor. This addition enhances the safety of the Laser Pistol, buffering the user in case of accidental discharge of the primary capacitor, which acts as the magazine-equivalent for the XLW-01, holding the full power charge. The secondary capacitor functions similarly to the chamber of a mundane pistol, only charging when the weapon is about to be fired. This secondary charging occurs when the shooter's finger rests on the trigger. Full compression of the trigger is still required to activate the pistol, and the secondary charge will dissipate a short while after the finger is removed from the trigger.

Despite being able to achieve a maximum rate of fire nearly twice that of a standard Pistol, the Laser Pistol cannot sustain this a rate of fire indefinitely due to inadequate heat dissipation of the core. Tests have shown that extreme temperatures can result in severe degradation of core material, reducing both the effectiveness and the life span of the laser core by as much as eighty percent, and in some cases, causing the catastrophic failure of the primary capacitor. As a result, the XLW-01 has been limited to three shots in this rapid fire mode, after which an automatic safety mechanism will prevent further firing until the laser core has sufficiently cooled.

"We'd been sweeping through a disheveled group of Greys from a downed Recon UFO for a minute or two. We were down to the last few bugs; we had them pinpointed and were closing fast. After a brief firefight, there was only one left, firing out of some bushes. We hadn't taken any casualties yet, so I was feeling pretty good. I let the soldiers exchange fire with the last Alien, figuring we had better cover and could outlast it. Unfortunately, one of my soldiers, Ensign Sam "Grizzly" Mugalla, got tired of being shot at, and, you know, had a little shell shock going. He bolted straight at the target with a nice, steady grip on the trigger of his Laser Pistol, something R&D had just cooked up. Unfortunately, those things overload pretty easily, especially when you strip the safety catch.

- Captain Sandra Campori