XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Morlock

Aosar

[color="red"][b]EDIT: PLEASE NOTE THE XENOCIDE NAME FOR THIS ALIEN IS MORLOCK, REFERENCES TO OTHER NAMES BY INDIVIDUALS IS NOT CONDONED BY THE PROJECT AND THE PROJECT DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR SUCH ACTIONS. INDIVIDUALS SHOULD REFER TO THIS ALIEN AS "MORLOCK". THANKS![/b][/color]

As the Muton CTD seems to be available I'll give it a try and as the public has deemed by a democratic and fair vote, the Mutons shall be, "intelligent in battle, but otherwize stupid"

Here goes;

"The first fact collected from the field reports about these 'Mutons' is their great powress in battle. They seem able to shrug(sp?) off major damage without care, as if bullets are no more of a danger than drops of rain. Those exremely few who have escaped their attack claim that the Mutons can rip clean off a grown man's arm and break trough locked doors without so much as sweat.

However, dispite their hairless-ape like appearance they are quite intelligent and cunning on the battlefield. Their tactics and manuevers rival those of the X-Coprs elite soldiers. Outside of the battlefield the sitcuation(sp?) is however totally different, the Mutons seem to only rest and train while in captivity. There is little to none social activity not related to training and warfare. It seems that if these creatures ever had a civilisation of their own, it is totally gone now. They are more like machines of war, than a sentient specie.

After lenghtened perioids of conciousness within the X-Corps base the Muton psyche seems to begin showing signs of acute deterioration. It seems that these creatures are psionically "programmed" to receve commands from their masters from time to time. If no commands are receved - the commands are speculated to be issued psionically - the "psionic programming" starts a cycle that will eventually lead the Muton to coma and death. An effective method of control over such a powerful minion."

That's all for tonight, I'll write more tomorrow, but now :zzzzz: Edited by Breunor

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Those exremely few who have escaped their attack claim that the Mutons can rip clean off a grown man's arm and break trough locked doors without so much as sweat.[/quote]

not sure if thats, european english... IMO i think somthing like this would flow better

The few who have survived a Muton encounter claim that the Mutons can rip off a grown man's arm and break down locked doors without effort.

Try to bring is some non-war related info too....that they're carnivores, cranial size, maybe a bit of culture for them. Make them into a race, not just monsters.

I'd suggest breaking down the entry info by rank, the way I did with Snakemen. Even if we don't go that route, it makes it easy to cover a wider array of topics.

-The Captain

Looking good. There are some english grammar and spelling errors in there, but i cant deal with them now. Will do it later, probably after you write some more (if thats what you intend to do).

[quote]not sure if thats, european english... IMO i think somthing like this would flow better[/quote]

You're right...

[quote]Try to bring is some non-war related info too....that they're carnivores, cranial size, maybe a bit of culture for them. Make them into a race, not just monsters.[/quote]

Hmm, howabout tad bit like the "Predators?"

[quote]I'd suggest breaking down the entry info by rank, the way I did with Snakemen. Even if we don't go that route, it makes it easy to cover a wider array of topics.[/quote]

I'll do that when I add more text to it, so far it's just a quick draft. And yes Miceless I will be adding to this...

[quote]Keep it up! This is very good.[/quote]

:D Thanks!

Well, damn, I started to work on the Muton text, but suffered a momentary power failure, a few seconds, but...

Well, here is what was/is the addition for today...

"Interrogations of a Muton leader leads us to believe that, our early analysis of the Muton specie was somewhat inaccurate. The Mutons do infact have a crude hierachy, surrounded around, what can only be discribed as a shaman. This shaman - usually a older Muton of high status - tells one of the many legends that the Mutons apparrently pass along by oral tradition. Varying from legend to legend the alien Overlords are portrayed either as benevolent Gods or as malicious demons and in a few legends the portrait of the aliens is more accurate, as they are not gods, but slavers from beyond..."

That indeed would be from a leader...

So are all the aliens psionically controlled by an overmind like I read elswhere in this forum? or are they just enslved? Because if they're psionically controlled doesn't that mean they couldn't orrally pass things on? Edited by Ancalagon

[quote]So are all the aliens psionically controlled by an overmind like I read elswhere in this forum?[/quote]

The way I understand it is that they are psionically [i]commanded[/i], not psionically controlled, that's because, if you think about it, if you control all the races psionically you essentially control them manually, but if you simply command them you issue goals that they have to meet, hence I referred to psionic "programming," a psycological [i]need[/i] to fulfill those objectives. Furthermore(sp?) if you manually command your troops they lose the ability to think on their feet, so to speak.

Also about the oral-tradition, I was going to imply it being terribly dangerous activity, but the Mutons also feel that they are oblicated to continue it.

[quote]If you wish to be assigned to a specific topic, please Private Message GreatGold. After you have completed your assigned topic, please e-mail it as a Microsoft Word or .txt attachment to [email protected]. It will then be placed on the Asset List for all to see, and much more importantly, CRITIQUE.[/quote]

:huh: Um, Ancalagon, what's the purpose of that quote?

[quote]If you wish to be assigned to a specific topic, please Private Message GreatGold. fter you have completed your assigned topic, please e-mail it as a Microsoft Word or .txt attachment to [email protected].[/quote]

I'll send it in when it's finished, we have gotten to a incomplete draft so far...

[quote]It will then be placed on the Asset List for all to see, and much more importantly, CRITIQUE.[/quote]

And yes, I can take critique, but I'll also point out reasons I have done things the way they are. I would also like to point out;

[quote]Try to bring is some non-war related info too....that they're carnivores, cranial size, maybe a bit of culture for them. Make them into a race, not just monsters.[/quote]

I was requested to make the Mutons have a culture. If them having a culture doesn't fit, culture gets boot. But you already knew this, no?

I have learned that when you point out things from your own text you and the critic learns new things about it and then we are in a better position to deside what to do with the text then...

However, your point about the Mutons is valid and I shall take it into consideration...

Sorry, but any idiot might think mutons wasn't being worked on, (it wasn't blue on the asset list). the critique thing was added in by accident, sorry. :rolleyes:

Edit: To be honest, I was REALLY tired when I made that post and I don't really even care if your thing's not on the list. :zzzzz:
:stupid:

By the way, good job describing the muton. Edited by Ancalagon

[quote]Edit: To be honest, I was REALLY tired when I made that post and I don't really even care if your thing's not on the list.[/quote]

:LOL: I know where you are coming from, so to say...

I'm at school right now, so I don't have the material to work with, but if I come up with something on break, I'll post it...

Good stuff! I'm running around like a mad chicken, but I'll say this: The shaman bit is great, it needs to be the center of the muton story, that they somehow have managed to keep a shred of their culture after being psychically enslaved, and that part of that culture is to tell stories about their captors, stories of how the overmind is a wonderful god, and just a [i]few[/i] stories about how it is a demon, or even a petty slavemaster. I'd say maybe expand on how they've managed to pass on the tradition while being enslaved, if you can come up with a realistic, cool reason for it. If you've got to stretch things, don't worry about it.

I like the new mutons. They're earthy. I'm not sure, though, maybe they should be more old-school-mean-green-alien-types. I dunno. Good stuff, anyway.

-Fred

[quote]I like the new mutons. They're earthy. I'm not sure, though, maybe they should be more old-school-mean-green-alien-types. I dunno. Good stuff, anyway.[/quote]

Well, I'll try to get a sort of "Predator" angle from "AvP 1 & 2" and the movies...
Mean enough for you? :LOL:

I present to you the next chapter in the interrogation of the Muton leader!

"The Alien overlords apparrently allow this out of arrogance and a rather justified sence of security, regarding their position as the masters of Mutons. It is clear that weather the Mutons believe that the overlords are malicious demons or benevolent gods is trivial to them, since either way the dominant position is reinforced by the folklore. Recently however the rebellious stories that may shatter the illusion of immortality the overlords hold so dear, are gaining popularity among the younger Mutons."

Within ten minutes or so I give you also the first paragraph(sp?) of the interrogation of the Muton Medic!

1 SP: Whether not Weather.

[quote]Recently however the rebellious stories that may shatter the illusion of immortality the overlords hold so dear, are gaining popularity among the younger Mutons[/quote]

No need 4 a comma in that sentance.

Okay, caution! This next chapter is quite sadistic and not suitable for the feight of hearth... I'm not kiddin! :o

"[Medic/doctor]
Our knowledge of the Muton physique has dramatically increased
after we interrogated a Muton medic. Apparrently the Mutons are
a race of pack-hunting predators. The hunt has, or rather had,
great social and religious meaning in the Mutons society. Apparrently the Mutons hunted their prey without weapons and eated the flesh raw. While the medic refused to reveal any more information on the Muton society, he or she or it, did tell us how the Mutons are "optimized" for battlefield and to obey the overlords.

It is clear even from a quick observation that the mutons have no reproductive organs. These, the medic reveals, are removed. And while technically it could be called surgically, it is apparrent that no such carefullness is given to the oberation.
The operation takes place in the Mutons puperty. The overlords, it seems, wish the operation to show the Mutons their place. The operation is performed by Medics from the other races, however the assingment to neuther the Mutons is used as a punishment for the medical troops and torturing the Mutons in a fit of anger is not unheard of..."

Howdya like them apples?!

yeah good.

I would like someting about "The muttons is by far the most intelligent aliens we have yet faced. Their masters have even had to put a block in the brain sections of the muttons, with reacts to adrenaline. Once a certain ammount of adrenaline have been created it will let the muttons get their full inteligence. This is usually triggered in the heat of battle. The adreneline sensor was created for having them to be independent and even smarter then their masters in the battle agenst humanity."

What about corpses?

"When we retrieved a dead mutton and the real versions. Also, even certain shields, at the rips and arround the still impstarted to look at its interiors, we found it to look very human, with only few exeptions. Not only the reproductive organs missing, but most of the most needed organs was replaced by futureistic mekanikal implants, but much better with better performence, and a Exoskalleton replacing the now non-existing bones. Also plates also covered the less importent interior organs. They are all made of alien alloys, with gives them the hardness to stop a bullet or beam who have manneged to get through the tough shell. The brain also looks to be very keen, and we have also found certain inplants in the section, leading to beliving that even the alien medical technology are more advenced then ours." Edited by mikker

First issue about your post, mutton is dead lamp... Sheep meat! The alien race is 'Muton'...

Second issue, if the Mutons are geniuses then why did they let theirselfs be enslaved? They should be more like the snakemen, on our level.

Third issue, the autopsy is a completely different piece, and while this will have a big effect on the autopsy text, it won't cover the stuff that belongs there...

[quote name='Aosar' date='Aug 16 2003, 10:45 AM']Second issue, if the Mutons are geniuses then why did they let theirselfs be enslaved?[/quote]
*cough*PSI*cough*

Psi? <_< That doesn't explain it at all! If they would be geniuses and terrifyingly effective on the battlefield how the h3ll could [i]we[/i] defend ourselves?! I mean, if something that has all the benefits when compared to us falls, what are our chances? Only possible reason would be that the Mutons were very primitive when they were concured. But that then doesn't explain how they are so smart now!

Edit: Then again, it may be that I simply can't admit that I'm wrong! :LOL: Edited by Aosar

with psi, i ment the ethernals can psi them. psi resistence and intalligence have nothing in common.

Ethernals battle muttons: muttons fight back fircely.
Ethernals PSI them, take them into a prisson and do their inplantments.
Muttons now cant do alot of stuff other then battle. And there are so few in battle at a time, that if the rebel, then they are not very hard to beat by the ethernals.

Valid point, valid point, but you are still talking about sheeps meat... ^_^

However, the Mutons intelligence question has been already solved by a demogratic vote and twelve of the fourteen voters, voted for the Mutons to be good fighters, but not geniuses...

Hey, you were talking about illumination devices and he didnt complain... :P

[quote name='Aosar on Aug 16 2003' date=' 05:45 PM']First issue about your post, mutton is dead [b]lamp[/b]... Sheep meat! The alien race is 'Muton'...[/quote]

[quote]Lamps are inanimate objects and cannot 'die' because they were never alive in the first place.[/quote]

:o Lamps aren't alive?! Well, *cough, cough,* good that I haven't spoken to lamps then. *cough* :erm:

Okay, enough foolishness... I'm on a roll today, I present to you, [i]more[/i] addition to the leader part...

"In battle the Mutons follow a ancient warrior code. But they are, however not able to fulfill the code to the fullest at all times, for in the code it is gravely dishonourable to kill an civilian or a unarmed soldier. The code is as much as one might expect, things like leaving your prey to suffer or to flee from battle are tabu. Breaking the code is punishable by death, carried out as a ritual suicide, however, the punishment is expeted to be carried out by the code breakers own will and it is not enforced in any way. Still, if one has breaked the code, it is most likely that only a life of outcast awaits."

Some more for the Medic...

"Shortly after a Muton is mutilated, the Elerians step in to use the shock and trauma caused by the procidure to strip Muton in question of his/her idependence. While this could easily be done while the Muton is still an infant, would it lead to unwanted lack of initiative and passiveness."

And the all new navigator entry!

"[Navigator]
Mutons don't know much about their planet, but some knowledge the alien overlords have allowed Mutons to retain. Apparrently the Muton homeworld is a harsh, jet beautiful place - atleast according to Muton beauty standards. The Mutons - dispite being the sentient specie - are not on the top of the food chain, this leaded to a highly compative society of hunters and warriors.

The location of the Muton homeworld and it's current state is however tabu among the aliens and those who - in the eyes of the overlords - take unnecessary interest in it, are seldom heard from again. It is theorized that the Muton homeworld is still free of the crasp of the overlords."

I need critique on the content part, should the Mutons change a bit. Are they too wussy?

Im not sure I like the bit about the warrior code and stuff. It doesnt come across as very Muton...

There are several spelling and grammar errors in there, but im occupied with feeding my tortoise at the moment so they will have to wait.

[quote]Im not sure I like the bit about the warrior code and stuff.[/quote]

:huh:

Why? I mean, a true honorable warrior doesn't f|_|ck around, he puts a bullet(or some plasma) between your eyes and gets the job done. Besides, the Mutons have no choice wheather they wan't to kill the humans(civilians in particuilar) or not, when the Elerians say "kill," the Mutons kill... That's the whole point of the psionic programming...

Edit: OH! I'm also going to add to the code that the Muton warrior must attempt to kill his enemies, but not get killed himself, 'cause failing to protect the tribe is bad. And you can't protect sh!t if you're dead... However, falling in honest battle is honourable... Edited by Aosar

[quote]I just think they are starting to sound like alien jedis or something.[/quote]

Heyy, that's not a bad idea...

^_^ Just kidding...

Any suggestions how to make them more Muton-y?

[quote]I was thinking about feudal Japan with those descriptions; Bushido, Seppuku,...[/quote]

Actually that is exactly the type I had in mind, however, my knowledge of Japaniese culture is way too small to make a good reference. :Blush: In fact, I am quite intrested in oriental culture on a whole. Edited by Aosar

Lose the warrior code and go for a good ol' bred to be soldiers and trained from birth?

I could be wrong here, its just the way they sound to me.

Kilrathi? Kilrathi? Rings a bell but you lost me. Elaborate? Edited by miceless

[quote]Lose the warrior code and go for a good ol' bred to be soldiers and trained from birth?[/quote]

I dunno... :( I feel that if I do that I'll kill the feel that I'm trying to archieve...

I'm trying to make the Mutons a sort of Predator-Samurai fusion with a bad additude...

[quote name='miceless' date='Aug 16 2003, 08:40 PM']Lose the warrior code and go for a good ol' bred to be soldiers and trained from birth?

I could be wrong here, its just the way they sound to me.

Kilrathi? Kilrathi? Rings a bell but you lost me. Elaborate?[/quote]
The Kilrathi are those huge kittens from Wing Commander, pretty much furry Mutons :D

[url="http://home.sprynet.com/~avatarr/history.html"]Here[/url]'s a site with some background info, it's not easy to read I'm afraid, but didn't find any more complete site for now...

[quote]Well, i think you are going in the samurai direction but Im not sure about the bad attitude. I just think it sounds wrong...[/quote]

Grrr! First they say, don't make them just monsters, then when we make them not to be monsters, they say they aren't enough monsters! Make your mind!

Okay, who's with my Predator/samurai/klingon/warcraft-orc type Mutons?

And who's with Miceless's monstrous classical Mutons?

Edit: I have to get my bearings again, cause I can't really proceed untill I know what direction is good for the people?

Edit 2: And I forgot something again... Well, Miceless, your point will be taken into consideration. They won't be such wusses and jedis anymore, but depending on what people want they will have the elements I have given you, but in a lesser measure. And I'm not sure about the warrior code, I want to keep it tho... Edited by Aosar

Actually, I didn't mind the Samurai-styled brute warriors with honor.

Some keywords maybe: clan-based, harsh, show-offs (trophies and the like), strict hierarchy (disobedience is not taken lightly), predators, shamans I liked too, war-like society on it's own, obviously this side is nurtured by the Etherials as well

[quote]Some keywords maybe: clan-based, harsh, show-offs (trophies and the like), strict hierarchy (disobedience is not taken lightly), predators, shamans I liked too, war-like society on it's own, obviously this side is nurtured by the Etherials as well[/quote]

You read my mind! I gotta say, I love creating different races, playing with the consepts, creating systems of belief, intricate social networks, rituals, such...

Also why I want the code to be in, is that today nearly none follow any such code, it is history for us, so there for it is alien!

Edit: Don't feel bad about me not wanting to change the Mutons, It's just my control-freakness... ^_^ Edited by Aosar